• Thoughts and Opinions Requested

From musicloverlch@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 23 09:03:13 2021
    Hi all,
    I've been given some very complex Word documents with lots of graphics and text from the marketing department that they want to combine with a very involved fee page that is generated by Microsoft Access as one PDF. Which do you think seems to be the
    better option:

1. Recreate the Word document in Access. Pros: It will come out as one PDF. Cons: It's a really involved Word doc and graphics don't look that great on Access reports.

2. Use Access to control Word and import the data into the Word document and then use Word to export as PDF. Pros: looks better Cons: I don't know how to do it and I don't even know if I can control Word that way.

Thanks for your opinions.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Neil@21:1/5 to musicloverlch on Mon Aug 23 14:34:23 2021
    On 8/23/2021 12:03 PM, musicloverlch wrote:
    Hi all,
    I've been given some very complex Word documents with lots of graphics and text from the marketing department that they want to combine with a very involved fee page that is generated by Microsoft Access as one PDF. Which do you think seems to be the
    better option:

1. Recreate the Word document in Access. Pros: It will come out as one PDF. Cons: It's a really involved Word doc and graphics don't look that great on Access reports.

2. Use Access to control Word and import the data into the Word document and then use Word to export as PDF. Pros: looks better Cons: I don't know how to do it and I don't even know if I can control Word that way.

Depends on what you mean by "combine".

1) A PDF is an independent document that can be created by almost any application. However, almost none of those applications can READ a PDF document.

2) You can create a PDF of the Word document, and use Adobe Acrobat to
    add the Access-generated page(s) to that PDF.

If you need to integrate the two in some sophisticated way, tell the
    marketing department that they can't afford the cost. ;-)

--
    best regards,

Neil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ron Weiner@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 23 15:22:32 2021
    musicloverlch laid this down on his screen :
    Hi all,
    I've been given some very complex Word documents with lots of graphics and text from the marketing department that they want to combine with a very involved fee page that is generated by Microsoft Access as one PDF. Which do you think seems to be the better option:

Or

3. Use Word to Import the Data from Access. Word like Excel and
    Access has a full programmable VBA Layer sitting behind it. I also
    have ZERO experience writing code behind a Word document, but I have to
    admit it sounds like it might be an interesting endeavor. If it were
    me I’d give myself a couple hours of research and coding to see if it
    was feasible or not.

Rdub

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Keith Tizzard@21:1/5 to musicloverlch on Tue Aug 24 04:35:05 2021
    It depends whether you want to control the whole lot from within your Access database or not.

If the latter then convert the Word document to pdf; create your fees pdf; and then use something like Adobe to merge the two pdfs into one.

If the former then Albert Kallal has produced a facility within Access to merge pdfs files:
    https://groups.google.com/g/comp.databases.ms-access/c/RyFkucKupSU/m/7-uID4axAgAJ

I use this.

On Monday, 23 August 2021 at 17:03:16 UTC+1, musicloverlch wrote:
    Hi all,
    better option:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ron Paii@21:1/5 to musicloverlch on Tue Aug 24 05:29:31 2021
    On Monday, August 23, 2021 at 11:03:16 AM UTC-5, musicloverlch wrote:
    Hi all,
    better option:

Have you tried mail merge from Word, using the query in Access generating the PDF?

Google "reference access query from word document", finds a number of pages.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05