• ifxoledbc connection not working on windows 10

From armsiee@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 22 06:48:11 2017
    Afternoon,

I have an Excel 2010 spreadsheet connecting to a few Informix servers on a couple of machines which I developed on a windows 7 (64 bit machine).

Connection string:

Public Const CONNECT_LIVE = "Provider=Ifxoledbc;Data Source=XXXXX@XXXXX;User ID=test;Password=XXXXXXXXXX;"

oConn As New ADODB.Connection
    oConn.Open CONNECT_LIVE

Works fine on my machine also installed on other colleagues machine which were also running windows 7 but 32 bit again no problem.

Today tried to give it to another colleague who happens to be running Windows 10. After installing the latest 64 Bit version of the SDK from the IBM site, setting up hosts and ODBC connections (which connect to the databases fine when tested inside the
    ODBC utility) however when Excel attempts to make a connection I get the error message:

Run-time error '3706'; Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed.

Googling led me to https://www.cursor-distribution.de/aktuell.11.50.xC9/documentation/oledb.pdf

2-14
    re-installed SDK to ensure that OLEDB option was checked (it was)
    Run the regsvr32 command on the DLL (ifxoledbc.dll) registed ok

still no joy. restarted the machine. same error message.

Interestingly when I try to manually connect to a data source under Windows 10 the Informix OLE DB Provider does not show up in the list of providers, in Windows 7 it does .. but no idea why. Any suggetsions?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From armsiee@21:1/5 to armsiee on Fri Sep 22 07:43:53 2017
    On Friday, 22 September 2017 14:48:12 UTC+1, armsiee wrote:
    Afternoon,

I have an Excel 2010 spreadsheet connecting to a few Informix servers on a couple of machines which I developed on a windows 7 (64 bit machine).

Connection string:

Public Const CONNECT_LIVE = "Provider=Ifxoledbc;Data Source=XXXXX@XXXXX;User ID=test;Password=XXXXXXXXXX;"

oConn As New ADODB.Connection
    oConn.Open CONNECT_LIVE

Works fine on my machine also installed on other colleagues machine which were also running windows 7 but 32 bit again no problem.

Today tried to give it to another colleague who happens to be running Windows 10. After installing the latest 64 Bit version of the SDK from the IBM site, setting up hosts and ODBC connections (which connect to the databases fine when tested inside
    the ODBC utility) however when Excel attempts to make a connection I get the error message:

Run-time error '3706'; Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed.

Googling led me to https://www.cursor-distribution.de/aktuell.11.50.xC9/documentation/oledb.pdf

2-14
    re-installed SDK to ensure that OLEDB option was checked (it was)
    Run the regsvr32 command on the DLL (ifxoledbc.dll) registed ok

still no joy. restarted the machine. same error message.

Interestingly when I try to manually connect to a data source under Windows 10 the Informix OLE DB Provider does not show up in the list of providers, in Windows 7 it does .. but no idea why. Any suggetsions?

SOLVED: install 32 Bit driver regardless of architecture!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Doug Lawry@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 23 00:19:28 2017
    That would be because you have 32-bit Office installed!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05