• DB2 activating de-activated DB's

From bwmiller16@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed May 24 06:04:53 2017
    Hello all... Yay DB2!

I just upgraded a client from 9.7 to 10.5 FP3 (3 because they run OneWorld and that is the level we were told to use when the client upgraded from E1 9.0 to E1 9.2). Anyway, its under AIX 7 with HADR.

So, I have 3 older OneWorld 9.0 (E1) databases on the system, mainly so that if the client needs some older data then its readily available. I plan on dropping these databases this up-coming weekend. I have revoked all CONNECT authority for user ID's
    on these DBs.

I have these 3 databases deactivated and STMM is OFF to reduce activity. My db2diag log is constant with these 3 DB's getting activated automatically by something in DB2. DB2 is then deactivating them after a short period of time but in the meantime
    meaningless and constant messages are filling up the db2diag log.

All committed transactions have been written to disk = YES
    Rollforward pending = NO
    Restore pending = NO

Automatic maintenance (AUTO_MAINT) = OFF
    Automatic database backup (AUTO_DB_BACKUP) = OFF
    Automatic table maintenance (AUTO_TBL_MAINT) = OFF
    Automatic runstats (AUTO_RUNSTATS) = OFF
    Real-time statistics (AUTO_STMT_STATS) = OFF
    Statistical views (AUTO_STATS_VIEWS) = OFF
    Automatic sampling (AUTO_SAMPLING) = OFF
    Automatic reorganization (AUTO_REORG) = OFF

I just don't see what might be causing this ACTIVATE/DEACTIVATE activity to occur on these 3 DB's.

Anybody have a clue?

thanks,

-B

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Luiz da Silva@21:1/5 to bwmil...@gmail.com on Thu May 25 09:43:20 2017
    On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 3:04:57 PM UTC+2, bwmil...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hello all... Yay DB2!

I just upgraded a client from 9.7 to 10.5 FP3 (3 because they run OneWorld and that is the level we were told to use when the client upgraded from E1 9.0 to E1 9.2). Anyway, its under AIX 7 with HADR.

So, I have 3 older OneWorld 9.0 (E1) databases on the system, mainly so that if the client needs some older data then its readily available. I plan on dropping these databases this up-coming weekend. I have revoked all CONNECT authority for user ID's
    on these DBs.

I have these 3 databases deactivated and STMM is OFF to reduce activity. My db2diag log is constant with these 3 DB's getting activated automatically by something in DB2. DB2 is then deactivating them after a short period of time but in the meantime

Rollforward pending = NO
    Restore pending = NO

I just don't see what might be causing this ACTIVATE/DEACTIVATE activity to occur on these 3 DB's.

Anybody have a clue?

thanks,

-B

When a database is explicity deactivated, an user/application connection implicitly activates the databases. Once the connection is gone the database is deactivated again.

Maybe there is an user with SECADM, DBADM or ACCESCTRL authority trying to connect to those dbs?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Luiz da Silva@21:1/5 to bwmil...@gmail.com on Thu May 25 09:44:11 2017
    Hello all... Yay DB2!

on these DBs.

Rollforward pending = NO
    Restore pending = NO

Anybody have a clue?

thanks,

-B

When a database is explicitly deactivated, an user/application connection implicitly activates the databases. Once the connection is gone the database is deactivated again.

Maybe there is an user with SECADM, DBADM or ACCESCTRL authority trying to connect to those dbs?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jbaron@calculo-sa.es@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 29 00:19:04 2017
    El jueves, 25 de mayo de 2017, 18:44:14 (UTC+2), Luiz da Silva escribió:
    Hello all... Yay DB2!

So, I have 3 older OneWorld 9.0 (E1) databases on the system, mainly so that if the client needs some older data then its readily available. I plan on dropping these databases this up-coming weekend. I have revoked all CONNECT authority for user ID'
    s on these DBs.

I have these 3 databases deactivated and STMM is OFF to reduce activity. My db2diag log is constant with these 3 DB's getting activated automatically by something in DB2. DB2 is then deactivating them after a short period of time but in the
    meantime meaningless and constant messages are filling up the db2diag log.

Rollforward pending = NO
    Restore pending = NO

Anybody have a clue?

thanks,

-B

When a database is explicitly deactivated, an user/application connection implicitly activates the databases. Once the connection is gone the database is deactivated again.

You might want to set the DB in quiesced state to avoid unexpected connections. In that case make sure the users trying to connect have no quiesceconnect on DB privilege.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ma7.jason@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 7 17:55:36 2019

Default behaviour is for database to be activated (i.e. create bufferpools, allocate shared memory, etc...) upon first connection. Once the last connect is disconnected, DB2 automatically deactivates the database.

To avoid activation/deactivation use:
    db2 "activate db <db name>"

The tradeoff is more system resources are used regardless if there are applications connected to the system, but first connection from application will be quicker.

Check to see if you have any database monitoring applications that automatically connect to the database every xxx days/hours, etc... to collect statistics. Another alternative is to enable something like Event Monitor (https://www.ibm.com/support/
    knowledgecenter/en/SSEPGG_10.5.0/com.ibm.db2.luw.admin.mon.doc/doc/r0005993.html) to gather info on the applications connected to the database.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05