• Is there way to compare two DB2 schema objects (Tables, Columns, ) of S

From debrath banerjee@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 19 16:34:47 2020
    Is there way to compare two DB2 schema objects (Tables, Columns, ) of Stage and Production

We have to understand what is the difference between Production Database and Stage. What columns or Tables or any other changes missing in Production.

Help me with any solution or free version tool or query which could help.

Thanks

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Thiruswamy@21:1/5 to debrath banerjee on Fri Mar 20 11:40:57 2020
    On Thursday, March 19, 2020 at 7:34:49 PM UTC-4, debrath banerjee wrote:
    Is there way to compare two DB2 schema objects (Tables, Columns, ) of Stage and Production

We have to understand what is the difference between Production Database and Stage. What columns or Tables or any other changes missing in Production.

Thanks

Yes, we can compare. Which version, LUW/ZOS?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AngocA@21:1/5 to debrath banerjee on Sat Mar 21 11:18:45 2020
    On Thursday, March 19, 2020 at 6:34:49 PM UTC-5, debrath banerjee wrote:

Thanks

The only way to compare objects is by generating the DDL. The was to extract this is with db2look, but this tool generates the objects according to the creation time, thus the order could not be the same.

Also, you can extract the DDL of an object via a stored procedure. In this way, you can generate a set of objects, and then check the result.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeremy Rickard@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 22 11:49:25 2020
    Instead of db2look you could diff relevant columns of relevant catalog views (such as syscat.columns) using SQL EXCEPT and INTERSECT operators.

The only real problem would be collocating the data in the same database. Either you would have to import a copy to staging tables with the same structure, or maybe federate for less effort? ("maybe" since I don't recall trying, is it possible to create
    a nickname on a catalog view?)

By the way, I thought this forum was dead! It seems a shame that IBM have promoted StackOverflow in the Knowledge Center instead of Groups/Usenet.

Jeremy Rickard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Thiruswamy@21:1/5 to AngocA on Mon Mar 23 05:53:31 2020
    On Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 2:18:47 PM UTC-4, AngocA wrote:
    On Thursday, March 19, 2020 at 6:34:49 PM UTC-5, debrath banerjee wrote:

Thanks

The only way to compare objects is by generating the DDL. The was to extract this is with db2look, but this tool generates the objects according to the creation time, thus the order could not be the same.

Also, you can extract the DDL of an object via a stored procedure. In this way, you can generate a set of objects, and then check the result.

There is ways to compare both DDL and Data of table on each row level also. First, we need to which version whether LUW/ZOS. There is some limitation on version level.

Rgds,
    Thiru

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andreas Lerch@21:1/5 to All on Mon Mar 23 16:46:56 2020
    Hello

some days ago a friend sends me this link:

http://jmerrell.com/2011/06/01/db2-except-sql-function/

I don't know if thats work, but you can try

Andreas Lerch

Am 20.03.20 um 00:34 schrieb debrath banerjee:

Thanks

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05