• DB2 Express-C on Ubuntu: install new version 11.x on same machine runni

From Joachim Tuchel@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 9 05:17:02 2017
    Hi,

is there any guide on how to install EPXC 11.1 on an Ubuntu 16.04 server which currently runs 10.5 ? Is this a parallel install or an upgrade? Any experiences?

Since we moved our 10.5 installation from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 we are frequently seeing DB2 crashes...

Thanks in advance,

Joachim

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Jeremy Rickard@21:1/5 to Joachim Tuchel on Fri Nov 10 15:52:53 2017
    On Friday, 10 November 2017 02:17:04 UTC+13, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
    Hi,

is there any guide on how to install EPXC 11.1 on an Ubuntu 16.04 server which currently runs 10.5 ? Is this a parallel install or an upgrade? Any experiences?

Since we moved our 10.5 installation from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 we are frequently seeing DB2 crashes...

Thanks in advance,

Joachim

Hi Joachim,

I've been running both DB2 Express C 10.5 and 11.1 on Ubuntu 16.04 without any such issues. Maybe something environmental like ulimit???

My installs were just done from the command line with a response file. e.g.:

PROD = EXPRESS_C
    FILE = /db2/10.5
    LIC_AGREEMENT = ACCEPT
    INSTALL_TYPE = TYPICAL

... and then db2icrt etc. I also created instance users manually but of course all this can be done too from the response file if you prefer.

DB2 11.1 was much the same IIRC.

Jeremy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Joachim Tuchel@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 10 22:12:25 2017
    Jeremy,

thanks for your answer. Did you install the two versions in parallel on one machine?

Di you add a new instance owner etc. for V 11 or did all run smooth with the same instance owner (etc.)?

Joachim

Am Samstag, 11. November 2017 00:52:55 UTC+1 schrieb Jeremy Rickard:
    On Friday, 10 November 2017 02:17:04 UTC+13, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks in advance,

Joachim

Hi Joachim,

I've been running both DB2 Express C 10.5 and 11.1 on Ubuntu 16.04 without any such issues. Maybe something environmental like ulimit???

My installs were just done from the command line with a response file. e.g.:

PROD = EXPRESS_C
    FILE = /db2/10.5
    LIC_AGREEMENT = ACCEPT
    INSTALL_TYPE = TYPICAL

... and then db2icrt etc. I also created instance users manually but of course all this can be done too from the response file if you prefer.

DB2 11.1 was much the same IIRC.

Jeremy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeremy Rickard@21:1/5 to Joachim Tuchel on Sun Nov 12 15:11:03 2017
    On Saturday, 11 November 2017 19:12:27 UTC+13, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
    Jeremy,

thanks for your answer. Did you install the two versions in parallel on one machine?

Di you add a new instance owner etc. for V 11 or did all run smooth with the same instance owner (etc.)?

Joachim

Yes, two versions in parallel. I created a second instance for 11.1, hence a different instance owner. However you can quite easily migrate an older instance to the newer code base after the install.

Basically, my method is usually:
    1) Run db2prereqcheck to check the Linux/UNIX environment.
    2) Run db2setup with a minimal response file, e.g.:

PROD = EXPRESS_C
    FILE = /db2/10.5
    LIC_AGREEMENT = ACCEPT
    INSTALL_TYPE = TYPICAL

3a) Create a DB2 instance owner, then run db2icrt from the newly installed software to create that new instance.
    3b) Or use db2iupgrade, UPGRADE DATABASE etc. (with appropriate backups and other prerequisites) to upgrade an instance instance and its databases from the older release.

Obviously there are many other ways to do the same, the above is just my preference.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Joachim Tuchel@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 23 04:49:05 2017
    Jeremy,

thanks very much for this short and precise description. I think I'll try this way. Not sure how to deal with the instance owner thing yet (our table schema is the instance owner's name - don't ask...), but it seems this is perfectly feasible.

I was afraid the process would be complicated. Seems it's not. Especially your minimal response file is a great starting point! I once tried generating one on another machine using the db2setup graphical program, but installation never worked...

Joachim

Am Montag, 13. November 2017 00:11:05 UTC+1 schrieb Jeremy Rickard:
    On Saturday, 11 November 2017 19:12:27 UTC+13, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
    Jeremy,

Joachim

Yes, two versions in parallel. I created a second instance for 11.1, hence a different instance owner. However you can quite easily migrate an older instance to the newer code base after the install.

Basically, my method is usually:
    1) Run db2prereqcheck to check the Linux/UNIX environment.
    2) Run db2setup with a minimal response file, e.g.:

PROD = EXPRESS_C
    FILE = /db2/10.5
    LIC_AGREEMENT = ACCEPT
    INSTALL_TYPE = TYPICAL

3a) Create a DB2 instance owner, then run db2icrt from the newly installed software to create that new instance.
    3b) Or use db2iupgrade, UPGRADE DATABASE etc. (with appropriate backups and other prerequisites) to upgrade an instance instance and its databases from the older release.

Obviously there are many other ways to do the same, the above is just my preference.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Joachim Tuchel@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 23 06:04:24 2017
    Me again,

Ouch, it seems I never really read your message until the end ;-)
    Your option 3b) seems to be exactly what we need....

Is db2iupgrade available in the Express-C edition?

Joachim

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeremy Rickard@21:1/5 to Joachim Tuchel on Fri Nov 24 00:48:02 2017
    On Friday, 24 November 2017 03:04:26 UTC+13, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
    Me again,

Ouch, it seems I never really read your message until the end ;-)
    Your option 3b) seems to be exactly what we need....

Is db2iupgrade available in the Express-C edition?

Joachim

Hi Joachim,

db2iupgrade is located below the "instance" subdirectory below the new DB2 code path, e.g. /db2/11.1.2.2/instance/db2iupgrade in the trial upgrade that I'm currently testing for your later post...

Regards,

Jeremy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05