• Finding & Filling in Prices

From =?UTF-8?B?RnJhbsOnb2lz?=@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 26 09:57:53 2018
    Hello All,

I’ve got a small problem & would like the experts’ OK before proceeding :

I am trying to help a woman with the following dilemma :

She has goods & is in the midst of a suddenly lost around 500 items, in FileMaker, just like that. I suspect iCloud but am more interested right now in getting the inventory back on paper & on the books & into sales than delving right into the cause.

The main issue is that she raised her prices some time ago & wants to be sure to stay within their boundaries.. We’ve always kept track of all of the details concerning new purchases as well as price increases & any other pertinent details -

My idea was to take a backup - yes, we’ve got many of them, & through a look-up, compare all items to note (1) which are missing - not in the 'Materials' of the order forms because they are not in the invetory - (2) as well as all the exact same items
    with different prices, which would indicate an error & (3) those with the excact same prices. We would then print out an entire list for her to check. She’s pretty close to knowing all of the costs by heart !!

There you have it. Please excuse my ignorance but I’m worried about her a little.

Also, please let me know if this is unclear. I’m also very interested in any ‘gotchya’s’

Thanks for your help.

Josh

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Erik Appeldoorn@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 28 11:30:45 2018
    Op 26-9-2018 om 18:57 schreef François:
    Hello All,

She has goods & is in the midst of a suddenly lost around 500 items, in FileMaker, just like that. I suspect iCloud but am more interested right now in getting the inventory back on paper & on the books & into sales than delving right into the cause.

The main issue is that she raised her prices some time ago & wants to be sure to stay within their boundaries.. We’ve always kept track of all of the details concerning new purchases as well as price increases & any other pertinent details -

My idea was to take a backup - yes, we’ve got many of them, & through a look-up, compare all items to note (1) which are missing - not in the 'Materials' of the order forms because they are not in the invetory - (2) as well as all the exact same
    items with different prices, which would indicate an error & (3) those with the excact same prices. We would then print out an entire list for her to check. She’s pretty close to knowing all of the costs by heart !!

There you have it. Please excuse my ignorance but I’m worried about her a little.

Also, please let me know if this is unclear. I’m also very interested in any ‘gotchya’s’

Thanks for your help.

Josh

Basicaly OK. I would make a new temporary field for the lookup result.
    Not replacing anything in the first stages. Then compare. Then decide
    next step.
    Ursus

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?B?RnJhbsOnb2lz?=@21:1/5 to Erik Appeldoorn on Fri Sep 28 09:10:57 2018
    On Friday, September 28, 2018 at 4:30:48 AM UTC-5, Erik Appeldoorn wrote:
    Hello All,

My idea was to take a backup - yes, we’ve got many of them, & through a look-up, compare all items to note (1) which are missing - not in the 'Materials' of the order forms because they are not in the invetory - (2) as well as all the exact same
    items with different prices, which would indicate an error & (3) those with the excact same prices. We would then print out an entire list for her to check. She’s pretty close to knowing all of the costs by heart !!

Thanks for your help.

Josh

Basically OK. I would make a new temporary field for the lookup result.
    next step.
    Ursus

Thanks very much Eric, I was planning on doing exactly that but to word it with 'empty' or 'different' in the empty field, with a check box to say 'change here' (to be like Mats or change in Mats to be like here) or 'leave'.

I wanted to ask you if there is any known reason for Mac folders to disappear, & possibly the cause of my dilemma. When I purchased a new mac book pro, it came with High Sierra, what a catastrophe entered my computer existence. Keys began hovering &
    clicking by themselves ! A few things were trashed by themselves ? ! ?

It's getting to be quite disappointing - after all these years in Macs !

Thanks again for suggesting solutions ...

Josh

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From none@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 28 18:59:41 2018
    Op 28-9-2018 om 18:10 schreef François:
    Hello All,

Thanks for your help.

Josh

next step.
    Ursus

Thanks very much Eric, I was planning on doing exactly that but to word it with 'empty' or 'different' in the empty field, with a check box to say 'change here' (to be like Mats or change in Mats to be like here) or 'leave'.

I wanted to ask you if there is any known reason for Mac folders to disappear, & possibly the cause of my dilemma. When I purchased a new mac book pro, it came with High Sierra, what a catastrophe entered my computer existence. Keys began hovering &

Josh

Sorry am a windows person.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?B?RnJhbsOnb2lz?=@21:1/5 to no...@gmail.com on Fri Sep 28 10:49:41 2018
    On Friday, September 28, 2018 at 11:59:45 AM UTC-5, no...@gmail.com wrote:
    Op 28-9-2018 om 18:10 schreef François:
    Hello All,

She has goods & is in the midst of a suddenly lost around 500 items, in FileMaker, just like that. I suspect iCloud but am more interested right now in getting the inventory back on paper & on the books & into sales than delving right into the
    cause.

Thanks for your help.

Josh

next step.
    Ursus

Josh

Sorry am a windows person.

Thanks Eric, I may have a few questions to ask in that area soon !!! Only kidding but am getting fed up with Mac habits !!
    Josh

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Helpful Harry@21:1/5 to Erik Appeldoorn on Sat Sep 29 10:48:31 2018
    On 2018-09-28 09:30:45 +0000, Erik Appeldoorn said:

Hello All,

She has goods & is in the midst of a suddenly lost around 500 items, in
    FileMaker, just like that. I suspect iCloud but am more interested
    right now in getting the inventory back on paper & on the books & into
    sales than delving right into the cause.

The main issue is that she raised her prices some time ago & wants to
    be sure to stay within their boundaries.. We’ve always kept track of
    all of the details concerning new purchases as well as price increases
    & any other pertinent details -

My idea was to take a backup - yes, we’ve got many of them, & through a
    look-up, compare all items to note (1) which are missing - not in the
    'Materials' of the order forms because they are not in the invetory -
    (2) as well as all the exact same items with different prices, which
    would indicate an error & (3) those with the excact same prices. We
    would then print out an entire list for her to check. She’s pretty
    close to knowing all of the costs by heart !!

There you have it. Please excuse my ignorance but I’m worried about her
    a little.

Also, please let me know if this is unclear. I’m also very interested
    in any ‘gotchya’s’

Thanks for your help.

Josh

Basicaly OK. I would make a new temporary field for the lookup result.
    next step.
    Ursus

Personally I'd probably do the comparisions by exporting the relevant
    data and then opening it up in Excel / Numbers. It saves any potential accidental damage to the database itself and is often much quicker to
    do.

Helpful Harry :o)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Helpful Harry@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 29 10:45:49 2018
    On 2018-09-28 16:10:57 +0000, François said:

snip
    I wanted to ask you if there is any known reason for Mac folders to disappear, & possibly the cause of my dilemma. When I purchased a new
    mac book pro, it came with High Sierra, what a catastrophe entered my computer existence. Keys began hovering & clicking by themselves ! A
    few things were trashed by themselves ? ! ?

That's not a High Sierra problem, it's a problem with your keyboard,
    either the laptop's inbuilt one or an external one. A Bluetooth
    keyboard that is paired with the laptop and is running out of battery
    power can cause such issues.

Folders don't just disappear by themselves. The usual culprit is "user
    error" by accidentally deleting or moving them in the Finder or when
    using a file manipulation app. Another possibility if you're using one
    of the 'cloud' storage options is that the folders simply aren't
    available when you're offline.

Which brings us back to the original question. Never ever directly open
    a FileMaker database that is stored on a network or cloud storage. The
    only recommended way to have FileMaker databases on network drives is
    when hosted by a FileMaker Server.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?B?RnJhbsOnb2lz?=@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 28 18:22:12 2018
    On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 11:57:55 AM UTC-5, François wrote:
    Hello All,

Thanks for your help.

Josh

Hello Helpful, boy, my needs wouldn't be satisfied without a word, no matter how big or small from Helpful, I would begin having problems but they would soon turn into worry about Harry ... !

Your explanation concerning the trashed folders & keys sticking seems very plausible but quite frankly, I am not in the mood to deal with the pain right now !!! There is no rhyme or reason to perform such tasks, the danger & extra confusion is not worth
    the effort. And now that you touch on that vein, I deem that Apple should offer a clear & precise operation - especially how to avoid such movements !!!

I am going to use the simple method to rid myself of this headache - iCloud - in the garbage - so, I'll thank you once again for 'being there 'thank you again' & please stay well & happy.

Till 'next time' ...

François-

Well, I really appreciate your & Erik's advice. By the way, I'd like to thank you for your Spread Sheet idea, I'll consider it but don't think I'll try to implement it. The 'operators' will be testing it & they're accustomed to FILMMAKER

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Helpful Harry@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 29 18:29:00 2018
    On 2018-09-29 01:22:12 +0000, François said:
    Hello All,

She has goods & is in the midst of a suddenly lost around 500 items, in
    FileMaker, just like that. I suspect iCloud but am more interested
    right now in getting the inventory back on paper & on the books & into
    sales than delving right into the cause.

be sure to stay within their boundaries.. We’ve always kept track of
    all of the details concerning new purchases as well as price increases
    & any other pertinent details ->> My idea was to take a backup - yes,
    we’ve got many of them, & through a look-up, compare all items to note
    (1) which are missing - not in the 'Materials' of the order forms
    because they are not in the invetory - (2) as well as all the exact
    same items with different prices, which would indicate an error & (3)
    those with the excact same prices. We would then print out an entire
    list for her to check. She’s pretty close to knowing all of the costs
    by heart !!

There you have it. Please excuse my ignorance but I’m worried about her
    a little.

Also, please let me know if this is unclear. I’m also very interested
    in any ‘gotchya’s’

Thanks for your help.

Josh

Hello Helpful, boy, my needs wouldn't be satisfied without a word, no
    matter how big or small from Helpful, I would begin having problems but
    they would soon turn into worry about Harry ... !

Your explanation concerning the trashed folders & keys sticking seems
    very plausible but quite frankly, I am not in the mood to deal with the
    pain right now !!! There is no rhyme or reason to perform such tasks,
    the danger & extra confusion is not worth the effort. And now that you
    touch on that vein, I deem that Apple should offer a clear & precise operation - especially how to avoid such movements !!!

I am going to use the simple method to rid myself of this headache -
    iCloud - in the garbage - so, I'll thank you once again for 'being
    there 'thank you again' & please stay well & happy.

iCloud is fine for normal documents, but FileMaker Pro is constantly
    accessing the file (saving sort orders, found sets, etc.), so if
    there's an interruption in the network, then you might lose some
    changes or potentially corrupt the file. The same can happen directly
    opening a file stored on a network drive.

Because FileMaker Server is running on the server itself as the host,
    the file can't lose the connection (other than a powercut). You are
    only connecting to Filemaker Server application, not the database file.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From none@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 29 14:11:14 2018
    Op 29-9-2018 om 03:22 schreef François:
    Hello All,

Thanks for your help.

Josh

Hello Helpful, boy, my needs wouldn't be satisfied without a word, no matter how big or small from Helpful, I would begin having problems but they would soon turn into worry about Harry ... !

Your explanation concerning the trashed folders & keys sticking seems very plausible but quite frankly, I am not in the mood to deal with the pain right now !!! There is no rhyme or reason to perform such tasks, the danger & extra confusion is not
    worth the effort. And now that you touch on that vein, I deem that Apple should offer a clear & precise operation - especially how to avoid such movements !!!

I am going to use the simple method to rid myself of this headache - iCloud - in the garbage - so, I'll thank you once again for 'being there 'thank you again' & please stay well & happy.

Till 'next time' ...

François-

Well, I really appreciate your & Erik's advice. By the way, I'd like to thank you for your Spread Sheet idea, I'll consider it but don't think I'll try to implement it. The 'operators' will be testing it & they're accustomed to FILMMAKER

I forgot about the problems with cloud served solutions on Filemaker,
    because I stay clear away from them. But Harry is right, you should
    listen to him. Please. Debugging is nasty, I agree, but unless done
    rigorously it's useless. You might discover something, but miss
    something completely different. Please take the time it needs to find
    out what went wrong in the first place.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?B?RnJhbsOnb2lz?=@21:1/5 to no...@gmail.com on Sat Sep 29 11:06:52 2018
    On Saturday, September 29, 2018 at 7:11:20 AM UTC-5, no...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hello All,

Thanks for your help.

Josh

Your explanation concerning the trashed folders & keys sticking seems very plausible but quite frankly, I am not in the mood to deal with the pain right now !!! There is no rhyme or reason to perform such tasks, the danger & extra confusion is not
    worth the effort. And now that you touch on that vein, I deem that Apple should offer a clear & precise operation - especially how to avoid such movements !!!

Till 'next time' ...

François-

I forgot about the problems with cloud served solutions on Filemaker, because I stay clear away from them. But Harry is right, you should
    listen to him. Please. Debugging is nasty, I agree, but unless done rigorously it's useless. You might discover something, but miss
    something completely different. Please take the time it needs to find

Hello, I tried to answer you but my gmail kept returning with no 'address known' - another computer anomaly. See your return address : 'no...@gmail.com' !!!

To note : the exact same thing happened with Helpful Harry's address !! I had to send both of them from here, something I'd prefer to choose, if desired ...

To respond now, Apple lost folders that were indepenent of filemaker so it is more than a database problem. In addition, as already mentioned, the Apple curser hovers ('sticks' & clicks ) simply on the desktop, at will - or in an app - like FMP or Word
    or even TextEdit. It even clicked on the screen of a neighboring MacBook Pro through WiFi & modified a phrase ... and on another, it trashed an entire row of numbers !! Again, I really appreciate all of your advice but am afraid that in my case,
    something is very amiss !! i won¡t give up unless I abandon ship & say bye to Apple !!

Thanks again & have a good one ...

François

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From none@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 29 20:31:03 2018
    Hello, I tried to answer you but my gmail kept returning with no 'address known' - another computer anomaly. See your return address : 'no...@gmail.com' !!!

To note : the exact same thing happened with Helpful Harry's address !! I had to send both of them from here, something I'd prefer to choose, if desired ...

To respond now, Apple lost folders that were indepenent of filemaker so it is more than a database problem. In addition, as already mentioned, the Apple curser hovers ('sticks' & clicks ) simply on the desktop, at will - or in an app - like FMP or Word
    or even TextEdit. It even clicked on the screen of a neighboring MacBook Pro through WiFi & modified a phrase ... and on another, it trashed an entire row of numbers !! Again, I really appreciate all of your advice but am afraid that in my case,
    something is very amiss !! i won¡t give up unless I abandon ship & say bye to Apple !!

Thanks again & have a good one ...

François

I'm using newsgroups anonymously, the mail address you see is a fake one.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Helpful Harry@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 30 09:35:03 2018
    On 2018-09-29 18:06:52 +0000, François said:
    On Saturday, September 29, 2018 at 7:11:20 AM UTC-5, no...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 11:57:55 AM UTC-5, François wrote: >>>> Hello All,

She has goods & is in the midst of a suddenly lost around 500 items, in >>>> FileMaker, just like that. I suspect iCloud but am more interested
    right now in getting the inventory back on paper & on the books & into >>>> sales than delving right into the cause.

be sure to stay within their boundaries.. We’ve always kept track of >>>> all of the details concerning new purchases as well as price increases >>>> & any other pertinent details -

My idea was to take a backup - yes, we’ve got many of them, & through a >>>> look-up, compare all items to note (1) which are missing - not in the
    'Materials' of the order forms because they are not in the invetory -
    (2) as well as all the exact same items with different prices, which
    would indicate an error & (3) those with the excact same prices. We
    would then print out an entire list for her to check. She’s pretty
    close to knowing all of the costs by heart !!

There you have it. Please excuse my ignorance but I’m worried about her >>>> a little.

Also, please let me know if this is unclear. I’m also very interested >>>> in any ‘gotchya’s’

Thanks for your help.

Josh

Hello Helpful, boy, my needs wouldn't be satisfied without a word, no
    matter how big or small from Helpful, I would begin having problems but
    they would soon turn into worry about Harry ... !

Your explanation concerning the trashed folders & keys sticking seems
    very plausible but quite frankly, I am not in the mood to deal with the
    pain right now !!! There is no rhyme or reason to perform such tasks,
    the danger & extra confusion is not worth the effort. And now that you
    touch on that vein, I deem that Apple should offer a clear & precise
    operation - especially how to avoid such movements !!!

I am going to use the simple method to rid myself of this headache -
    iCloud - in the garbage - so, I'll thank you once again for 'being
    there 'thank you again' & please stay well & happy.

Till 'next time' ...

François-

Well, I really appreciate your & Erik's advice. By the way, I'd like to
    thank you for your Spread Sheet idea, I'll consider it but don't think
    I'll try to implement it. The 'operators' will be testing it & they're
    accustomed to FILMMAKER

I forgot about the problems with cloud served solutions on Filemaker,>
    because I stay clear away from them. But Harry is right, you should>
    listen to him. Please. Debugging is nasty, I agree, but unless done>
    rigorously it's useless. You might discover something, but miss>
    something completely different. Please take the time it needs to find>

Hello, I tried to answer you but my gmail kept returning with no
    'address known' - another computer anomaly. See your return address : 'no...@gmail.com' !!!

To note : the exact same thing happened with Helpful Harry's address !!
    I had to send both of them from here, something I'd prefer to choose,
    if desired ...

They are both fake email addresses to avoid the spam-bot harvesters and
    the trolls clogging up inboxes with garbage emails.

To respond now, Apple lost folders that were indepenent of filemaker so
    it is more than a database problem.

That's not an iCloud issue, although there is a feature that stores
    files ONLY on the iCloud servers to free up room on the low-capacity
    SSD drives which shiup in many Macs these days. The files / folders
    aren't gone (they're still on the iCloud server), but they won't be
    accessible if you don't have an internet connection.

Otherwise it could be a problem with your drive beginning to fail. It
    may need to be fully erased (after a backup!) and everything, including
    the OS, re-installed.

In addition, as already mentioned, the Apple curser hovers ('sticks' &
    clicks ) simply on the desktop, at will - or in an app - like FMP or
    Word or even TextEdit. It even clicked on the screen of a neighboring
    MacBook Pro through WiFi & modified a phrase ... and on another, it
    trashed an entire row of numbers !! Again, I really appreciate all of
    your advice but am afraid that in my case, something is very amiss !! i won¡t give up unless I abandon ship & say bye to Apple !!

Sounds like a faulty laptop, unless you've got some Bluetooth
    peripherals paired to it that are running low on battery. It may need
    to go back to the Apple Store / licensed service agent.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05