• Reducing the number of CPUs in an Ingres Installation

From Steve@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 15 22:46:38 2020
    Hi there

How would one go about reducing the number of CPUs in an Ingres installation? Does Ingres store the number of CPUs anywhere, for example in the config file (I couldn't see anything from my very quick search)?

Thanks
    Steve

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Steve@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 15 22:50:39 2020
    Btw, running Ingres 11.0 on Solaris, so no X100 engine to consider.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Bowes@21:1/5 to Steve on Fri Oct 16 06:51:07 2020
    To: info-ingres@lists.planetingres.org (info-ingres@lists.planetingres.org)

Hi Steve,

License time is it?

There is no way from the ingres end to restrict the number of CPU's you are executing on. If the box presents 20cpu...you're going to use them, and pay for them.

Your operating system *may* allow some form of restriction to tie a process to a certain number of CPU, but lichostinfo won't pick that up.

Your best option is to deploy a host with a restricted number of cpu. Be aware the minimum number from a license PoV is 2.

Enjoy.

Marty

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: 16 October 2020 06:47
    To: info-ingres@lists.planetingres.org
    Subject: [Info-ingres] Reducing the number of CPUs in an Ingres Installation

Hi there

How would one go about reducing the number of CPUs in an Ingres installation? Does Ingres store the number of CPUs anywhere, for example in the config file (I couldn't see anything from my very quick search)?

Thanks
    Steve

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve@21:1/5 to Martin Bowes on Fri Oct 16 00:39:48 2020
    On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 5:52:04 PM UTC+11, Martin Bowes wrote:
    Hi Steve,

License time is it?

Thanks Martin.

Not yet - I think it's COVID time.

There is no way from the ingres end to restrict the number of CPU's you are executing on. If the box presents 20cpu...you're going to use them, and pay for them.

Understood. The Ingres installation runs on a virtual machine, so the idea is to reduce the number of CPUs available to the virtual machine to reduce licencing costs.

Apart from the licence (and associated XML licence file) and the potential performance impact, would there be any implications from an Ingres perspective in reducing the number of CPUs? I had the same impression Martin, that Ingres will use whatever
    number of processors you present to it. For example, will reducing the number of CPUs require me to re-install Ingres or unload the database?

I see from the Installation Guide there is an Ingres environment variable II_NUM_OF_PROCESSORS - it's set to 2 in the installation, which bares absolutely no resemblance to the number of CPUs! :o

Your operating system *may* allow some form of restriction to tie a process to a certain number of CPU, but lichostinfo won't pick that up.

Your best option is to deploy a host with a restricted number of cpu. Be aware the minimum number from a license PoV is 2.

OK.

Thanks
    Steve

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Bowes@21:1/5 to Steve on Fri Oct 16 07:53:21 2020

For example, will reducing the number of CPUs require me to re-install Ingres or unload the database?

No.

I see from the Installation Guide there is an Ingres environment variable II_NUM_OF_PROCESSORS - it's set to 2 in the installation, which bares absolutely no resemblance to the number of CPUs! :o

I think it's more of a flag 1 means 1 but 2 means 2 or more.

BTW. We did the reduce the cpu thing a year ago...and were pleasantly surprised at how well the system continued to run.

Marty

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Fajok, Artur, (ProService Finteco)@21:1/5 to Steve on Fri Oct 16 09:26:34 2020

Hi Steve.
    If this is Solaris 10+, I can recommend creating a zone inside host, and limiting available cpu's inside. It works for Ingres licensing mechanism.

Regards,
    Artur Fajok

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE
    Unless otherwise provided therein this email is confidential and is protected by ProService Finteco sp. z o.o. business secret privileges. If you are not the named recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized review, disclosure, copying, or
    use of the content of   this transmission is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please kindly send the message back and delete it from your system including all the attachments.

-----Original Message-----
    From: info-ingres-bounces@lists.planetingres.org <info-ingres-bounces@lists.planetingres.org> On Behalf Of Steve
    Sent: Friday, October 16, 2020 7:51 AM
    To: info-ingres@lists.planetingres.org
    Subject: Re: [Info-ingres] Reducing the number of CPUs in an Ingres Installation

Btw, running Ingres 11.0 on Solaris, so no X100 engine to consider. _______________________________________________
    Info-ingres mailing list
    Info-ingres@lists.planetingres.org https://eur04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.planetingres.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Finfo-ingres&amp;data=04%7C01%7CArtur.Fajok%40psat.pl%7C083113750229455c067208d871acc383%7Cee7c45a7678745ba9b9f2f3b38bdbf05%7C0%7C0%
    7C637384335150476034%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C2000&amp;sdata=MrwD7IuuakK1JcMbG6fFxKOYFdpYR%2FSlPHtknCRFKy0%3D&amp;reserved=0

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve@21:1/5 to Martin Bowes on Tue Oct 20 00:29:44 2020
    On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 6:54:04 PM UTC+11, Martin Bowes wrote:
    For example, will reducing the number of CPUs require me to re-install Ingres or unload the database?
    No.

So "simply" shut down Ingres, let the admin to their thing and then startup Ingres again?

I think it's more of a flag 1 means 1 but 2 means 2 or more.

Yes, I did wonder that.

BTW. We did the reduce the cpu thing a year ago...and were pleasantly surprised at how well the system continued to run.

OK. I think we might find the same thing; CPU utilisation is normally very low.

Thanks
    Steve

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Bowes@21:1/5 to Steve on Tue Oct 20 07:52:05 2020

So "simply" shut down Ingres, let the admin to their thing and then startup Ingres again?

Yes.

OK. I think we might find the same thing; CPU utilisation is normally very low.

We also put a lot of work into minimising the maintenance tasks that burnt cpu for no great reason. The easiest task was reducing the number of checkpoints being taken. We had many databases with minimal activity that nonetheless were being backed up on
    a weekly basis.

Marty.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05