• Re: Ingres DB admin scripts

From Yogesh Gawali@21:1/5 to Daniel Brugger on Wed Jun 7 20:50:43 2023
    Hi Daniel!!!
    I am taking a shot 23 yrs later to see if you still have those scripts. If yes, can you please share it with me. Thank you.

On Friday, 27 October 2000 at 20:43:40 UTC+11, Daniel Brugger wrote:
    Hi there
    Are you Ingres DB admin and looking for a more comfortable way to backup/restore your databases? - Maybe the following could interest you...: On my previous job I worked for a longer time as Ingres DB admin and there I wrote several Unix shell scripts to automate DB administration tasks. This script suite I'd like to make available to the community.
    The main scripts are:
    dbsave
    ------
    - Full automated backup and maintenance of a whole CA/Ingres installation with one command
    - Relies on Ingres tools ckpdb, optimizedb, sysmod
    - Automatic harddisk housekeeping (keeps the last #n checkpoints on your
    hard disk but automatically removes older ones)
    - Dynamic database list, new databases will be backuped without changing a setup or anything else
    - Monitores all activities into a logfile
    - Comes with a well configured cktmpl.def file (uses cpio and file compression which saves up to 80% space)
    - Suited to run from cron
    - Watchdog function (optional); alerts if the backup of a database takes longer than a specified time
    - Many commandline options
    - Built-in help pages
    - Runs in a productive HP-UX 9 environment since about six years
    - Unix bourne shell script, 1400 lines

dbrestore
    ---------
    - Interactive script to restore an Ingres DB from a checkpoint
    - Maximum of comfort, full menu driven (text panels) with dynamic lists of DBs, checkpoints and so on
    - Relies on rollforwarddb (and in special cases on un-/reloaddb)
    - All displays and activities are also logged to a logfile
    - Allows (in a clean way) to restore each database from a given checkpoint
    in every situation, also for iidbdb and also if the database has been
    deleted previously (eg. using deletedb)
    - Used in a productive HP UX environment and has been several times helpful to restore crashed Ingres DBs, also 'iidbdb'
    - Unix bourne shell script, 2600 lines, clean programmed, should be easy to adapt changes

dbreorg
    -------
    - Interactive script to physically reorganize storage structures of database tables (btree, hash, isam, heap)
    - Menu driven, lets you chose to reorganize a specific table, a whole database or the whole installation (it would be easy to change the script in a way that you can run it non-interactively)
    - Preserves all table attributes and indexes (keys, min-/max-page, ...)
    - Relies mainly on the SQL-scripts generated by copydb, which uses the SQL statement modifydb
    - Unix bourne shell script, 2400 lines, clean programmed
    - Tested for CA/OpenIngres 2.x and OpenIngres II on HP/UX

script library
    --------------
    - Additional base library including many tools and general useful script functions, also outside from the 'db*'-scripts
    - Unix bourne shell scripts, 400 lines

Interested? Reply with an e-mail to Brugge...@hotmail.com
    Some points you should know:
    - The scripts have been developed and tested on SunSolaris and HP UX with Ingres 6.4 and 2.x and OpenIngres II
    - All interactive panels, comments and messages are written in German (...sorry, I'm a Swiss guy and originally I didn't intend to spread these scripts)
    - I'll provide them on a "as-they-are" base, no support can be given (if you have some experience in shell scripting, then it will be easy to make
    running them)
    - The scripts are free, although if you find them useful, a donation of $20 would be warmly appreciated... :-)
    - Commercial re-distribution is not allowed.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Roy Hann@21:1/5 to Yogesh Gawali on Mon Jun 12 09:32:09 2023
    Yogesh Gawali wrote:

Hi Daniel!!!
    I am taking a shot 23 yrs later to see if you still have those scripts. If yes, can you please share it with me. Thank you.

If it turns out you get no response to this query, and if you need any assistance with running an Ingres installation, my company is an Actian
    Partner specializing in Ingres and the Ingres family of products.

roy.hann at rationalcommerce.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Yogesh Gawali@21:1/5 to Roy Hann on Wed Jun 14 02:29:32 2023
    On Monday, 12 June 2023 at 19:32:11 UTC+10, Roy Hann wrote:
    Yogesh Gawali wrote:

Hi Daniel!!!
    If it turns out you get no response to this query, and if you need any assistance with running an Ingres installation, my company is an Actian Partner specializing in Ingres and the Ingres family of products.

roy.hann at rationalcommerce.com

Thanks Roy!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05