• DataConnect, Director and Management Server

From Steve@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 13 21:05:13 2021
    Hi folks

I believe Actian Director uses something called Management Server. Further, I believe Director (and thus Management Server) is a prerequisite for DataConnect/IngresConnect.

The Ingres documentation indicates the Management Server can be started/stopped with the ingstart/ingstop -mgmtsvr option, however I don't see a way to explicitly show it is running or not (ignoring ps -ef).

For example, ingstatus doesn't show anything, even though it does show things that aren't running, like the Bridge Server. Issuing ingstop -mgmtsvr when Management Server is not already running, doesn't report too much and there is no "show mgmtsvr"
    iinamu command, for example.

Is it simply a case that Ingres can't report on something that is not installed?

Essentially I want to confirm a user could not run Director and/or DataConnect/IngresConnect without the DBA's knowledge, because Management Server would need to be running on the server?

Thanks
    Steve

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Roy Hann@21:1/5 to Steve on Tue Dec 14 16:52:22 2021
    Steve wrote:

I believe Actian Director uses something called Management
    Server. Further, I believe Director (and thus Management Server) is a prerequisite for DataConnect/IngresConnect.

The Ingres documentation indicates the Management Server can be started/stopped with the ingstart/ingstop -mgmtsvr option, however I
    don't see a way to explicitly show it is running or not (ignoring ps -ef).

For example, ingstatus doesn't show anything, even though it does show
    things that aren't running, like the Bridge Server. Issuing ingstop
    -mgmtsvr when Management Server is not already running, doesn't report
    too much and there is no "show mgmtsvr" iinamu command, for example.

Is it simply a case that Ingres can't report on something that is not installed?

Essentially I want to confirm a user could not run Director and/or DataConnect/IngresConnect without the DBA's knowledge, because Management Server would need to be running on the server?

iinamu refers to the remote command server as RMCMD not MGMTSVR as you
    would think. Here's what I see on one of my boxes:

ingres@loathing: /opt/Ingres/IngresII/ingres/utility
    iinamu show servers
    RMCMD * 33603
    STAR * 41865
    DASVR * 35219
    COMSVR * 34401
    INGRES * 43787 (sole server)
    IUSVR * 38803
    IINMSVR * 33845

Roy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From G Jones@21:1/5 to Steve on Wed Dec 15 07:41:47 2021
    On Tuesday, December 14, 2021 at 5:05:14 AM UTC, Steve wrote:
    For example, ingstatus doesn't show anything, even though it does show things that aren't running, like the Bridge Server.

In a 11.1 installation here where the management server's not running (in config.dat ingstart.*.mgmtsvr is set to 0), ingstatus includes a line "Ingres II Management server (mgmtsvr) - not active".
    I don't know why it's not showing you anything, ingstatus is a shell script so it may be possible to step through it to work out what's happening. Maybe there are version-dependent differences.

If mgmtsvr isn't running there won't be anything listening on the port Director tries to connect to. I would guess that doesn't stop clients from firing it up, it just won't find a target.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From chris.clark.actian@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Steve on Wed Dec 15 14:32:32 2021
    On Monday, December 13, 2021 at 9:05:14 PM UTC-8, Steve wrote:

I recommend opening a support case, I was not aware that DataConnect needed the management server (I thought it only needed ODBC access).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve@21:1/5 to G Jones on Wed Dec 15 21:01:28 2021
    On Thursday, December 16, 2021 at 2:41:48 AM UTC+11, G Jones wrote:
    On Tuesday, December 14, 2021 at 5:05:14 AM UTC, Steve wrote:
    For example, ingstatus doesn't show anything, even though it does show things that aren't running, like the Bridge Server.
    In a 11.1 installation here where the management server's not running (in config.dat ingstart.*.mgmtsvr is set to 0), ingstatus includes a line "Ingres II Management server (mgmtsvr) - not active".
    I don't know why it's not showing you anything, ingstatus is a shell script so it may be possible to step through it to work out what's happening. Maybe there are version-dependent differences.

If mgmtsvr isn't running there won't be anything listening on the port Director tries to connect to. I would guess that doesn't stop clients from firing it up, it just won't find a target.

Thanks. I am told by Actian Support that Management Server and thus Director is not available for Solaris SPARC. Probably makes sense; my understanding is there are very few customers running Ingres on Solaris SPARC.

I see the ingstatus script greps the config file, like you indicated, to determine if Management Server is installed.

If Management Server is not running, the script will only print something if it's installed. I guess that makes sense.

Thanks
    Steve

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve@21:1/5 to chris.cla...@gmail.com on Wed Dec 15 21:30:00 2021
    On Thursday, December 16, 2021 at 9:32:33 AM UTC+11, chris.cla...@gmail.com wrote:
    I recommend opening a support case, I was not aware that DataConnect needed the management server (I thought it only needed ODBC access).

Thanks Chris. Here is the prerequisite information for IngresConnect*. I hope they are not just prerequisites for the sample projects!?!
    https://docs.actian.com/dataconnect/11.0/index.html#page/User%2FPrerequisites_2.htm%23ww610652

Actian Support indicated a licence file is required for DataConnect/IngresConnect. We don't have any such licences.

*=IngresConnect is DataConnect limited to Ingres.

Thanks
    Steve

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve@21:1/5 to chris.cla...@gmail.com on Thu Dec 16 03:04:07 2021
    On Thursday, December 16, 2021 at 9:32:33 AM UTC+11, chris.cla...@gmail.com wrote:

Apologies, Actian Support informed me Director is NOT a prequisite for DataConnect/IngresConnect.

I thought it was based on the following link. However, the prerequisites listed were for the IngresConnect SAMPLE PROJECTS, not IngresConnect itself.

DataConnect 11 User Guide > 25. Using IngresConnect Sample Projects > Prerequisites
    https://docs.actian.com/dataconnect/11.0/index.html#page/User%2FPrerequisites_2.htm%23ww610652

Steve

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05