• [Info-ingres] The database that isn't there

From Martin Bowes@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 29 14:09:49 2021
    Hi All

I have a database which is listed in my iidatabase catalog, but it isn't on the disk system. There is no trace of this database whatsoever under any location.

I could remove it from the catalogs using an sql iidbdb +Y connection. But I was wondering if it was possible to copy the aaaaaaaa.ext from another database , edit it to reflect the database of interest, rebuild a stub config file from that and then
    hopefully perform the destroydb that we have all come to know and love.

I ask this as I'm vaguely sure I saw something somewhere that suggested that it was possible to rebuild/edit a config file using the .ext file. Can anyone shed light on that?

Martin Bowes

PS. The database was created as a test of using a readonly database as a target from a distributed database. The test did not return the database to readwrite status before attempting the destroydb.

<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
    <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)"> <style><!--
    /* Font Definitions */
    @font-face
    {font-family:"Cambria Math";
    panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
    @font-face
    {font-family:Calibri;
    panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
    /* Style Definitions */
    p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
    {margin:0cm;
    margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
    mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
    a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
    {mso-style-priority:99;
    color:#0563C1;
    text-decoration:underline;}
    a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
    {mso-style-priority:99;
    color:#954F72;
    text-decoration:underline;}
    span.EmailStyle17
    {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
    color:windowtext;}
    .MsoChpDefault
    {mso-style-type:export-only;
    mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
    @page WordSection1
    {size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
    margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
    div.WordSection1
    {page:WordSection1;}
    </style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
    <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
    </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
    <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
    <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
    </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
    </head>
    <body lang="EN-GB" link="#0563C1" vlink="#954F72">
    <div class="WordSection1">
    <p class="MsoNormal">Hi All<o:p></o:p></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal">I have a database which is listed in my iidatabase catalog, but it isn&#8217;t on the disk system. There is no trace of this database whatsoever under any location.<o:p></o:p></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal">I could remove it from the catalogs using an sql iidbdb &#43;Y connection. But I was wondering if it was possible to copy the aaaaaaaa.ext from another database , edit it to reflect the database of interest, rebuild a stub config
    file from
    that and then hopefully perform the destroydb that we have all come to know and love.<o:p></o:p></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal">I ask this as I&#8217;m vaguely sure I saw something somewhere that suggested that it was possible to rebuild/edit a config file using the .ext file. Can anyone shed light on that?<o:p></o:p></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal">Martin Bowes<o:p></o:p></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal">PS. The database was created as a test of using a readonly database as a target from a distributed database. The test did not return the database to readwrite status before attempting the destroydb.<o:p></o:p></p>
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Martin Bowes@21:1/5 to Karl Schendel on Wed Sep 29 14:36:38 2021
    To: info-ingres@lists.planetingres.org (info-ingres@lists.planetingres.org)

SGkgS2FybCwNCg0KU3FsICtZIGl0IGlzIHRoZW4uDQoNClRoYW5rcy4NCg0KTWFydHkNCg0KLS0t LS1PcmlnaW5hbCBNZXNzYWdlLS0tLS0NCkZyb206IEthcmwgU2NoZW5kZWwgPHNjaGVuZGVsQGti Y29tcHV0ZXIuY29tPiANClNlbnQ6IDI5IFNlcHRlbWJlciAyMDIxIDE1OjMwDQpUbzogaW5mby1p bmdyZXNAbGlzdHMucGxhbmV0aW5ncmVzLm9yZw0KQ2M6IE1hcnRpbiBCb3dlcyA8bWFydGluLmJv d2VzQG5kcGgub3guYWMudWs+DQpTdWJqZWN0OiBSZTogW0luZm8taW5ncmVzXSBUaGUgZGF0YWJh c2UgdGhhdCBpc24ndCB0aGVyZQ0KDQoNCj4gT24gU2VwIDI5LCAyMDIxLCBhdCAxMDowOSBBTSwg TWFydGluIEJvd2VzIDxtYXJ0aW4uYm93ZXNAbmRwaC5veC5hYy51az4gd3JvdGU6DQo+IA0KPiBI aSBBbGwNCj4gIA0KPiBJIGhhdmUgYSBkYXRhYmFzZSB3aGljaCBpcyBsaXN0ZWQgaW4gbXkgaWlk YXRhYmFzZSBjYXRhbG9nLCBidXQgaXQgaXNu4oCZdCBvbiB0aGUgZGlzayBzeXN0ZW0uIFRoZXJl IGlzIG5vIHRyYWNlIG9mIHRoaXMgZGF0YWJhc2Ugd2hhdHNvZXZlciB1bmRlciBhbnkgbG9jYXRp b24uDQo+ICANCj4gSSBjb3VsZCByZW1vdmUgaXQgZnJvbSB0aGUgY2F0YWxvZ3MgdXNpbmcgYW4g c3FsIGlpZGJkYiArWSBjb25uZWN0aW9uLg0KDQpSaWdodC4NCg0KPiBCdXQgSSB3YXMgd29uZGVy aW5nIGlmIGl0IHdhcyBwb3NzaWJsZSB0byBjb3B5IHRoZSBhYWFhYWFhYS5leHQgZnJvbSBhbm90 aGVyIGRhdGFiYXNlICwgZWRpdCBpdCB0byByZWZsZWN0IHRoZSBkYXRhYmFzZSBvZiBpbnRlcmVz dCwgcmVidWlsZCBhIHN0dWIgY29uZmlnIGZpbGUgZnJvbSB0aGF0IGFuZCB0aGVuIGhvcGVmdWxs eSBwZXJmb3JtIHRoZSBkZXN0cm95ZGIgdGhhdCB3ZSBoYXZlIGFsbCBjb21lIHRvIGtub3cgYW5k IGxvdmUuDQoNCkkgZG9uJ3QgdGhpbmsgeW91IGNhbiByZWNvbnN0cnVjdCBhbiBlbnRpcmUgLmNu ZiBmaWxlIGZyb20gYW4gZXh0IGZpbGUuICBZb3UgY2FuIHJlc2V0IHRoZSBkYXRhYmFzZSBsb2Nh dGlvbnMsIGJ1dCB0aGUgcmVzdCBvZiB0aGUgY25mIGZpbGUgaGFzIHRvIGJlIHZhbGlkLiAgWW91 IG1pZ2h0IGJlIGFibGUgdG8gY29weSBhbiBleGlzdGluZyBjbmYgZmlsZSBBTkQgZXh0IGZpbGUs IGFuZCBnbyBmcm9tIHRoZXJlLg0KDQpPciwgeW91IGNvdWxkIGRvIGl0IHRoZSBlYXN5IHdheSB3 aXRoIHNxbCArWSBpaWRiZGIuLi4NCg0KPiAgDQo+IEkgYXNrIHRoaXMgYXMgSeKAmW0gdmFndWVs eSBzdXJlIEkgc2F3IHNvbWV0aGluZyBzb21ld2hlcmUgdGhhdCBzdWdnZXN0ZWQgdGhhdCBpdCB3 YXMgcG9zc2libGUgdG8gcmVidWlsZC9lZGl0IGEgY29uZmlnIGZpbGUgdXNpbmcgdGhlIC5leHQg ZmlsZS4NCg0KSXQgdXNlZCB0byBiZSBhbiBhbHRlcmRiIGNvbW1lbnQsIGJ1dCBJIHRoaW5rIHRo YXQgZ290IGNoYW5nZWQgdG8gYW4gaWlfc3luY19jb25maWcoKSBidWlsdGluIERCIHByb2NlZHVy ZS4NCmlpX3N5bmNfY29uZmlnKGRhdGFiYXNlPSdkYm5hbWUnLCBtb2RlPW1vZGUsIG9wZXJhdGlv bj0nb3BlcmF0aW9uJykgb3BlcmF0aW9uIG9mIGludGVyZXN0IHdvdWxkIGJlICdzeW5jX2V4dGVu dHMnIGFuZCBwb3NzaWJseSAnc3luY19jb25zaXN0ZW50Jw0KbW9kZSBhcHBlYXJzIHRvIGJlICdy dW4nIG9yICdyZXBvcnQnDQpJJ2QgZ3Vlc3MgdGhhdCB0aGUgc3luYy1jb25maWcgY2FuIGJlIHJ1 biBpbiBhbiBpaWRiZGIgc2Vzc2lvbiBidXQgSSd2ZSBuZXZlciB0cmllZCBpdCwgdXNlIGF0IHlv dXIgb3duIHJpc2shDQoNCkthcmwNCg0K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Karl Schendel@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 29 10:29:46 2021
    Copy: martin.bowes@ndph.ox.ac.uk (Martin Bowes)

On Sep 29, 2021, at 10:09 AM, Martin Bowes <martin.bowes@ndph.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

Hi All

I have a database which is listed in my iidatabase catalog, but it isn’t on the disk system. There is no trace of this database whatsoever under any location.

I could remove it from the catalogs using an sql iidbdb +Y connection.

Right.

But I was wondering if it was possible to copy the aaaaaaaa.ext from another database , edit it to reflect the database of interest, rebuild a stub config file from that and then hopefully perform the destroydb that we have all come to know and love.

I don't think you can reconstruct an entire .cnf file from an ext file. You can reset the database locations, but
    the rest of the cnf file has to be valid. You might be able to copy an existing cnf file AND ext file, and
    go from there.

Or, you could do it the easy way with sql +Y iidbdb...

I ask this as I’m vaguely sure I saw something somewhere that suggested that it was possible to rebuild/edit a config file using the .ext file.

It used to be an alterdb comment, but I think that got changed to an ii_sync_config() builtin DB procedure.
    ii_sync_config(database='dbname', mode=mode, operation='operation')
    operation of interest would be 'sync_extents' and possibly 'sync_consistent' mode appears to be 'run' or 'report'
    I'd guess that the sync-config can be run in an iidbdb session but I've never tried it, use at your own risk!

Karl

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05