• [Info-ingres] X100 Rocks big time.

From Martin Bowes@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 16 13:54:22 2021
    Hi All,

So I'm trying to do this...
    UPDATE all_emis_gp_clinical a
    FROM tmp_all_emis_gp_clinical s
    SET duplicate = s.proton
    WHERE a.pid = s.pid
    AND ifnull(a.event_dt, '1-jan-1885') = ifnull(s.event_dt, '1-jan-1885')
    AND a.code_type = s.code_type
    AND ifnull(a.code, '[:null:]') = ifnull(s.code, '[:null:]')
    AND ifnull(a.value, -999999.9) = ifnull(s.value, -999999.9)
    AND ifnull(a.unit, '[:null:]') = ifnull(s.unit, '[:null:]')
    AND a.atom != s.proton
    AND a.status IN (0, -1) AND a.redact = 0

Trouble is that all_emis_gp_clinical has 374million rows and is partitioned 16 ways to support that. The tmp_all_emis_gp_clinical has 280million rows. It's not partitioned, but it needs 5+million pages to hold the data.

How long will that take.?

The answer was...I gave up after 15 hours. I added a AND MOD(s.pid, 10) = 0 and restarted....3+ hours later it's still going.

I transferred the tables to a database with x100 enabled and tried there.

The full update.... (94114201 rows in 213.871276 secs)

And followed that with a memory cleanup...
    modify all_emis_gp_clinical to combine;
    (374110276 rows in 194.169678 secs)

So just over 400 seconds to do the lot!

I've seen selects work brilliantly, but I was astounded that an update would work so well.

Martin Bowes

<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
    <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)"> <style><!--
    /* Font Definitions */
    @font-face
    {font-family:"Cambria Math";
    panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
    @font-face
    {font-family:Calibri;
    panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
    @font-face
    {font-family:"Lucida Console";
    panose-1:2 11 6 9 4 5 4 2 2 4;}
    /* Style Definitions */
    p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
    {margin:0cm;
    margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
    mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
    a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
    {mso-style-priority:99;
    color:#0563C1;
    text-decoration:underline;}
    a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
    {mso-style-priority:99;
    color:#954F72;
    text-decoration:underline;}
    span.EmailStyle17
    {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
    color:windowtext;}
    .MsoChpDefault
    {mso-style-type:export-only;
    mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
    @page WordSection1
    {size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
    margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
    div.WordSection1
    {page:WordSection1;}
    </style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
    <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
    </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
    <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
    <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
    </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
    </head>
    <body lang="EN-GB" link="#0563C1" vlink="#954F72">
    <div class="WordSection1">
    <p class="MsoNormal">Hi All,<o:p></o:p></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal">So I&#8217;m trying to do this&#8230;<o:p></o:p></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Lucida Console&quot;">UPDATE all_emis_gp_clinical a<o:p></o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Lucida Console&quot;">FROM tmp_all_emis_gp_clinical s<o:p></o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Lucida Console&quot;">SET duplicate = s.proton<o:p></o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Lucida Console&quot;">WHERE a.pid = s.pid<o:p></o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Lucida Console&quot;">&nbsp; AND ifnull(a.event_dt, '1-jan-1885') = ifnull(s.event_dt, '1-jan-1885')<o:p></o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Lucida Console&quot;">&nbsp; AND a.code_type = s.code_type<o:p></o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Lucida Console&quot;">&nbsp; AND ifnull(a.code, '[:null:]') = ifnull(s.code, '[:null:]')<o:p></o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Lucida Console&quot;">&nbsp; AND ifnull(a.value, -999999.9) = ifnull(s.value, -999999.9)<o:p></o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Lucida Console&quot;">&nbsp; AND ifnull(a.unit, '[:null:]') = ifnull(s.unit, '[:null:]')<o:p></o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Lucida Console&quot;">&nbsp; AND a.atom != s.proton<o:p></o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Lucida Console&quot;">&nbsp; AND a.status IN (0, -1) AND a.redact = 0<o:p></o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal">Trouble is that all_emis_gp_clinical has 374million rows and is partitioned 16 ways to support that. The tmp_all_emis_gp_clinical has 280million rows. It&#8217;s not partitioned, but it needs 5&#43;million pages to hold the data.<o:p>
    </o:p></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal">How long will that take.?<o:p></o:p></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal">The answer was&#8230;I gave up after 15 hours. I added a AND MOD(s.pid, 10) = 0 and restarted&#8230;.3&#43; hours later it&#8217;s still going.<o:p></o:p></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal">I transferred the tables to a database with x100 enabled and tried there.<o:p></o:p></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none">The full update&#8230;.<span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Lucida Console&quot;"> (94114201 rows in
    <span style="background:yellow;mso-highlight:yellow">213.871276 secs</span>)<o:p></o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Lucida Console&quot;"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Lucida Console&quot;">And followed that with a memory cleanup&#8230;<o:p></o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Lucida Console&quot;">modify all_emis_gp_clinical to combine;<o:p></o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Lucida Console&quot;">(374110276 rows in
    <span style="background:yellow;mso-highlight:yellow">194.169678 secs</span>)<o:p></o:p></span></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal">So just over 400 seconds to do the lot!<o:p></o:p></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal">I&#8217;ve seen selects work brilliantly, but I was astounded that an update would work so well.<o:p></o:p></p>
    <p class="MsoNormal">Martin Bowes<o:p></o:p></p>
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)