• Tools to help analyze/cleanup a paradox data directory?

From me@alandmoore.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 12 11:32:01 2017
    Where I work, we have "The T:\ Drive". This shared directory contains the sum total of the Paradox data files generated by about 50-70 concurrent employees in half a dozen departments over the course of more than 20 years.

And it's a mess. It's about 1700 files. A good chunk of it was created by employees long since retired.

My task is to go through it, clean it up, and identify distinct "applications" within this directory.

So far I've been using Paradox itself, filesystem tools, binary dumps, and other rudimentary tools to try to identify what's being used and what isn't. But I'm wondering if there are third party tools to help out here.

Some specific questions:

- I know generally that index files share the same base name as the table they belong too. So "foo.YG1" belongs to "foo.db". But is this always the case? Is it possible, through renaming or other processes, that "baz.XG0" belongs to "foo.db", and --
    if so -- how do I identify that connection? Or can I safely assume that "baz.XG0" belongs to a deleted table?

- Most of our reports pull data from a generic "ANSWERS.DB" table, which might be generated by any of a hundred QBEs (IOW, most of our QBEs output to "ANSWERS.DB"). I can't see a way of identifying which QBE belongs to which report other than
    painstakingly comparing the output fields to the expected input fields and making an educated guess. Am I missing a tool that would help here?

- Is there any way to see when a QBE or table was last used (e.g. run/read, as opposed to modified)?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)