• New Topic: Python and Solidworks!

From v.sammartano@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Markus Wankus on Fri Aug 3 07:15:36 2018
    Hi Markus,
    I am working on a Fan design. I wrote a code in Python for the estimation of the Fan geometry by using the classic design parameters, flow rate/pressure rise/rotational speed. Now I would like to modify the code in a way this can built the different Fan
    parts by using SolidWorks.
    I think I am in the right Forum. Isn't it?
    If yes, could you please send me some references, tutorials or some example where to start for my new project?
    Thank you in advance!
    Best regards,
    Vincenzo

On Thursday, 12 December 2002 04:07:36 UTC, Markus Wankus wrote:
    Hi All.

How many of you are familiar with Python? Those of you who are, did you know it is pretty much a no-brainer to use it
    to script Solidworks through COM with the win32 extensions from Mark Hammond? This means super-easy scripting of
    the API, and with the use of wxPython (the windowing toolkit) you can do full-on GUI stuff just as easy.

Why, you may ask? Well, first of all - it is totally free (Open Source). Secondly, it is 100% interpreted, so you can make
    a change to your GUI application, with no need to re-compile, re-install, whatever, just hit Go! (Actually, you can even
    compile Python into .exe's if you want to as well). I have a few programs I wrote in VB a long time ago (the obligatory
    Custom Properties, and a batch file converter) and some macros I am porting over to Python. I just started tonight, and
    I must admit I don't know much about COM. I have a couple small issues yet to figure out, but I am already talking to
    Solidworks with Python. I think this would be a awesome outlet for people who may not be "programmers" to do some
    pretty powerful stuff.

If there is interest, I will try and help out as many people as possible in the days to come - provided they can help me out
    as well. I would like to think I am pretty darn handy with Python, but when it comes to COM I am not. Luckily, once this
    is working, the COM part of it just goes away, and you never see it.

Anyway, post if you are interested (especially if you are currently using Python with Solidworks), and let's have some
    fun! If you don't know what Python is - check out www.python.org. Download it, and go through the tutorial. It is the
    easiest (and best) programming language on the planet (well, most of us think so...).

Markus.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)