• Re: Design For A Self?

From Jeffrey Rubard@21:1/5 to AngleWyrm on Sat Dec 25 22:56:08 2021
    On Friday, December 10, 2004 at 7:30:04 PM UTC-8, AngleWyrm wrote:
    "ernobe" <ern...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:31os2jF...@individual.net...
    Question: Suppose you only had spatio-temporal particulars (objects, persons, utterances) to go on in thinking about the world. What concept of self could you form from such material?

What I would probably be playing sequences of events, much like movies and biomechanical cycles.
    You mean spatio-temporal particulars as opposed to spatio-temporal generalities? What generalities aren't spatio-temporal?
    So what is the missing element here? Seems like I can be 'aware' of myself only
    because I can view these movies from outside them, from a different viewpoint.
    Is it because I have two hemispheres to my brain?

2021 Update: This appears to have been one of my more successful Usenet posts ever.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Jeffrey Rubard@21:1/5 to Jeffrey Rubard on Tue Dec 28 14:04:54 2021
    On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 10:56:10 PM UTC-8, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:
    Question: Suppose you only had spatio-temporal particulars (objects, persons, utterances) to go on in thinking about the world. What concept of self could you form from such material?

What I would probably be playing sequences of events, much like movies and biomechanical cycles.
    You mean spatio-temporal particulars as opposed to spatio-temporal generalities? What generalities aren't spatio-temporal?
    2021 Update: This appears to have been one of my more successful Usenet posts ever.

A bit of a *contradictio in adjecto* at all, though, this "successful Usenet post".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeffrey Rubard@21:1/5 to Jeffrey Rubard on Thu Dec 30 17:20:58 2021
    On Tuesday, December 28, 2021 at 2:04:55 PM UTC-8, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:
    Question: Suppose you only had spatio-temporal particulars (objects, persons, utterances) to go on in thinking about the world. What concept
    of self could you form from such material?

What I would probably be playing sequences of events, much like movies and
    biomechanical cycles.
    A bit of a *contradictio in adjecto* at all, though, this "successful Usenet post".

It was so long ago anyhow.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeffrey Rubard@21:1/5 to Jeffrey Rubard on Thu Dec 30 22:05:20 2021
    On Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 5:21:00 PM UTC-8, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:
    Question: Suppose you only had spatio-temporal particulars (objects,
    persons, utterances) to go on in thinking about the world. What concept

biomechanical cycles.

I'm not sure I even remember "my 2004" myself.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeffrey Rubard@21:1/5 to Jeffrey Rubard on Fri Dec 31 08:23:38 2021
    On Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 10:05:22 PM UTC-8, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:

biomechanical cycles.

...much as people don't really remember W. Ross Ashby's 1952 *Design for a Brain*.
    (It was learned rather quickly people somehow thought the title was meant literally.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeffrey Rubard@21:1/5 to Jeffrey Rubard on Sat Jan 8 07:50:18 2022
    On Friday, December 31, 2021 at 8:23:40 AM UTC-8, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:

biomechanical cycles.
    You mean spatio-temporal particulars as opposed to spatio-temporal
    generalities? What generalities aren't spatio-temporal?
    ...much as people don't really remember W. Ross Ashby's 1952 *Design for a Brain*.
    (It was learned rather quickly people somehow thought the title was meant literally.)

Warren McCulloch is also "remembered poorly", that is to say his ideas are central to
    many modern naturalist theories of the brain but one can hardly stand to mention him.
    (He wasn't a nice person, especially, but that's not the issue.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeffrey Rubard@21:1/5 to Jeffrey Rubard on Sat Jan 15 19:24:41 2022
    On Saturday, January 8, 2022 at 7:50:20 AM UTC-8, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:
    On Friday, December 31, 2021 at 8:23:40 AM UTC-8, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:

biomechanical cycles.
    You mean spatio-temporal particulars as opposed to spatio-temporal
    generalities? What generalities aren't spatio-temporal?
    Warren McCulloch is also "remembered poorly", that is to say his ideas are central to
    many modern naturalist theories of the brain but one can hardly stand to mention him.
    (He wasn't a nice person, especially, but that's not the issue.)

No more thoughts on this topic, I guess.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From assumed. identiy.3396@21:1/5 to Jeff Rubard on Fri Feb 11 14:07:06 2022
    On Wednesday, December 1, 2004 at 5:21:31 PM UTC, Jeff Rubard wrote:
    Question: Suppose you only had spatio-temporal particulars (objects, persons, utterances) to go on in thinking about the world. What concept
    My answer: Roughly, an immaterialist account of the self -- the self is
    what is never in causal interaction with any of these items, yet
    contains a bearing upon them as the *boundary of thought* about material objects (the self is, as it were, "next in line" to receive impressions
    from objects of sense: it simply doesn't, on account of not forming a
    proper spatio-temporal object, the connection between knowledge and self-knowledge being mediated by "external" items including one's body). Thusly, the self is what does *not* count as a material object, given material surroundings construed materially. What is it composed of?
    Roughly, *language*: the elements of personal existence which are not realized in the non-linguistic functioning of the human organism form
    the material for the self.
    What such a self is capable of is *knowledge*, on account of knowledge presupposing a medium within which particulars exhibit their properties
    in a way such that we can form judgments about them. The self is one
    such medium, and permits of determinate thinking about objects on
    account of their relation to a non-sensuous particular. "I don't like reality television, on account of its bad taste" contains the "I" as a place-holder, but for a judgment which could not be otherwise
    structured: "Don't like reality television" is an imperative, not a judgment, and "Reality television is in bad taste" does not reflect a
    matter of preference. This self permits of *inferential* knowledge,
    rather than "direct access" to a matter-of-fact about what it's like to
    be oneself.
    --
    Jeff Rubard
    http://opensentence.tripod.com/
    Essays on theory, culture, and politics
    I enjoy reading a good debate. The college stuff is for people like me !

So the fairytale went
    "One day I went out of my door, turned around, realizing I'd locked myself out with my keys still in my bag I had accidently left inside the house! I had no identity papers with me but a locksmith pointed out that for some money in the bag s/he could
    gain access, that or they had a pencil & some paper & I could post myself a message under the front door so as to so permit myself freedom to come & go as usual. I thought a moment & replied that I could go into the bank & get some money but I needed
    some form of ID, that too was still in the house together with my CV & every photograph I had of myself & relatives & with friends as 'evidence of being'. My question is tho my evidence of being is occassionally challenged is it always legally
    copyrighted."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeffrey Rubard@21:1/5 to assumed.i...@gmail.com on Sun Feb 13 07:57:22 2022
    On Friday, February 11, 2022 at 2:07:08 PM UTC-8, assumed.i...@gmail.com wrote:
    My answer: Roughly, an immaterialist account of the self -- the self is what is never in causal interaction with any of these items, yet
    contains a bearing upon them as the *boundary of thought* about material objects (the self is, as it were, "next in line" to receive impressions from objects of sense: it simply doesn't, on account of not forming a proper spatio-temporal object, the connection between knowledge and self-knowledge being mediated by "external" items including one's body). Thusly, the self is what does *not* count as a material object, given material surroundings construed materially. What is it composed of? Roughly, *language*: the elements of personal existence which are not realized in the non-linguistic functioning of the human organism form
    What such a self is capable of is *knowledge*, on account of knowledge presupposing a medium within which particulars exhibit their properties
    in a way such that we can form judgments about them. The self is one
    such medium, and permits of determinate thinking about objects on
    account of their relation to a non-sensuous particular. "I don't like reality television, on account of its bad taste" contains the "I" as a place-holder, but for a judgment which could not be otherwise
    structured: "Don't like reality television" is an imperative, not a judgment, and "Reality television is in bad taste" does not reflect a matter of preference. This self permits of *inferential* knowledge,
    rather than "direct access" to a matter-of-fact about what it's like to
    be oneself.
    --
    Jeff Rubard

So the fairytale went
    "One day I went out of my door, turned around, realizing I'd locked myself out with my keys still in my bag I had accidently left inside the house! I had no identity papers with me but a locksmith pointed out that for some money in the bag s/he could
    gain access, that or they had a pencil & some paper & I could post myself a message under the front door so as to so permit myself freedom to come & go as usual. I thought a moment & replied that I could go into the bank & get some money but I needed
    some form of ID, that too was still in the house together with my CV & every photograph I had of myself & relatives & with friends as 'evidence of being'. My question is tho my evidence of being is occassionally challenged is it always legally
    copyrighted."

So... you know what a "fairy-story" is? It's like that, but the general form is...
    "Yeah, so, like I'm going to need that money right now? They said so."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From assumed. identiy.3396@21:1/5 to Jeffrey Rubard on Sun Feb 13 12:08:43 2022
    On Sunday, February 13, 2022 at 3:57:23 PM UTC, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:
    My answer: Roughly, an immaterialist account of the self -- the self is what is never in causal interaction with any of these items, yet contains a bearing upon them as the *boundary of thought* about material objects (the self is, as it were, "next in line" to receive impressions from objects of sense: it simply doesn't, on account of not forming a proper spatio-temporal object, the connection between knowledge and self-knowledge being mediated by "external" items including one's body). Thusly, the self is what does *not* count as a material object, given material surroundings construed materially. What is it composed of? Roughly, *language*: the elements of personal existence which are not realized in the non-linguistic functioning of the human organism form the material for the self.
    What such a self is capable of is *knowledge*, on account of knowledge presupposing a medium within which particulars exhibit their properties in a way such that we can form judgments about them. The self is one such medium, and permits of determinate thinking about objects on account of their relation to a non-sensuous particular. "I don't like reality television, on account of its bad taste" contains the "I" as a place-holder, but for a judgment which could not be otherwise structured: "Don't like reality television" is an imperative, not a judgment, and "Reality television is in bad taste" does not reflect a matter of preference. This self permits of *inferential* knowledge, rather than "direct access" to a matter-of-fact about what it's like to be oneself.
    --
    Jeff Rubard

So the fairytale went
    copyrighted."
    So... you know what a "fairy-story" is? It's like that, but the general form is...
    I can't post a meaningful message under the door or talk to myself through the letterbox, (or put a message under my cats collar when it went through the cat flap ) any ways of those debates scales ad infinitum, to confirm my self I'd be much better
    finding proof that I could do something nobody else could do & promie to pay when the bank manager had confirmed along with the locksmith I was who I said I am. Breaking a window in your own home is legal, but dangerous.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From assumed. identiy.3396@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 13 12:18:08 2022
    On Sunday, February 13, 2022 at 8:08:45 PM UTC, assumed. identiy.3396 wrote:
    what is never in causal interaction with any of these items, yet contains a bearing upon them as the *boundary of thought* about material
    objects (the self is, as it were, "next in line" to receive impressions
    from objects of sense: it simply doesn't, on account of not forming a proper spatio-temporal object, the connection between knowledge and self-knowledge being mediated by "external" items including one's body).
    Thusly, the self is what does *not* count as a material object, given material surroundings construed materially. What is it composed of? Roughly, *language*: the elements of personal existence which are not realized in the non-linguistic functioning of the human organism form the material for the self.
    in a way such that we can form judgments about them. The self is one such medium, and permits of determinate thinking about objects on account of their relation to a non-sensuous particular. "I don't like reality television, on account of its bad taste" contains the "I" as a place-holder, but for a judgment which could not be otherwise structured: "Don't like reality television" is an imperative, not a judgment, and "Reality television is in bad taste" does not reflect a matter of preference. This self permits of *inferential* knowledge, rather than "direct access" to a matter-of-fact about what it's like to
    be oneself.
    --
    Jeff Rubard

So the fairytale went
    "One day I went out of my door, turned around, realizing I'd locked myself out with my keys still in my bag I had accidently left inside the house! I had no identity papers with me but a locksmith pointed out that for some money in the bag s/he
    could gain access, that or they had a pencil & some paper & I could post myself a message under the front door so as to so permit myself freedom to come & go as usual. I thought a moment & replied that I could go into the bank & get some money but I
    needed some form of ID, that too was still in the house together with my CV & every photograph I had of myself & relatives & with friends as 'evidence of being'. My question is tho my evidence of being is occassionally challenged is it always legally
    copyrighted."
    I can't post a meaningful message under the door or talk to myself through the letterbox, (or put a message under my cats collar when it went through the cat flap ) any ways of those debates scales ad infinitum, to confirm my self I'd be much better
    finding proof that I could do something nobody else could do & promie to pay when the bank manager had confirmed along with the locksmith I was who I said I am. Breaking a window in your own home is legal, but dangerous.
    https://getpocket.com/explore/item/i-ve-lost-my-identity-on-the-mysteries-of-foreign-accent-syndrome?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeffrey Rubard@21:1/5 to assumed.i...@gmail.com on Sun Feb 13 18:41:27 2022
    On Sunday, February 13, 2022 at 12:18:09 PM UTC-8, assumed.i...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, February 13, 2022 at 8:08:45 PM UTC, assumed. identiy.3396 wrote:
    what is never in causal interaction with any of these items, yet contains a bearing upon them as the *boundary of thought* about material
    from objects of sense: it simply doesn't, on account of not forming a
    proper spatio-temporal object, the connection between knowledge and self-knowledge being mediated by "external" items including one's body).
    Thusly, the self is what does *not* count as a material object, given
    material surroundings construed materially. What is it composed of? Roughly, *language*: the elements of personal existence which are not
    realized in the non-linguistic functioning of the human organism form
    What such a self is capable of is *knowledge*, on account of knowledge
    presupposing a medium within which particulars exhibit their properties
    in a way such that we can form judgments about them. The self is one such medium, and permits of determinate thinking about objects on account of their relation to a non-sensuous particular. "I don't like
    reality television, on account of its bad taste" contains the "I" as a
    place-holder, but for a judgment which could not be otherwise structured: "Don't like reality television" is an imperative, not a judgment, and "Reality television is in bad taste" does not reflect a
    matter of preference. This self permits of *inferential* knowledge, rather than "direct access" to a matter-of-fact about what it's like to
    be oneself.
    --
    Jeff Rubard

So the fairytale went
    "One day I went out of my door, turned around, realizing I'd locked myself out with my keys still in my bag I had accidently left inside the house! I had no identity papers with me but a locksmith pointed out that for some money in the bag s/he
    could gain access, that or they had a pencil & some paper & I could post myself a message under the front door so as to so permit myself freedom to come & go as usual. I thought a moment & replied that I could go into the bank & get some money but I
    needed some form of ID, that too was still in the house together with my CV & every photograph I had of myself & relatives & with friends as 'evidence of being'. My question is tho my evidence of being is occassionally challenged is it always legally
    copyrighted."
    https://getpocket.com/explore/item/i-ve-lost-my-identity-on-the-mysteries-of-foreign-accent-syndrome?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

Oh so deep.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeffrey Rubard@21:1/5 to assumed.i...@gmail.com on Sun Feb 13 18:42:02 2022
    On Sunday, February 13, 2022 at 12:08:45 PM UTC-8, assumed.i...@gmail.com wrote:
    from objects of sense: it simply doesn't, on account of not forming a proper spatio-temporal object, the connection between knowledge and self-knowledge being mediated by "external" items including one's body).
    Thusly, the self is what does *not* count as a material object, given material surroundings construed materially. What is it composed of? Roughly, *language*: the elements of personal existence which are not realized in the non-linguistic functioning of the human organism form the material for the self.
    in a way such that we can form judgments about them. The self is one such medium, and permits of determinate thinking about objects on account of their relation to a non-sensuous particular. "I don't like reality television, on account of its bad taste" contains the "I" as a place-holder, but for a judgment which could not be otherwise structured: "Don't like reality television" is an imperative, not a judgment, and "Reality television is in bad taste" does not reflect a matter of preference. This self permits of *inferential* knowledge, rather than "direct access" to a matter-of-fact about what it's like to
    be oneself.
    --
    Jeff Rubard

So the fairytale went
    copyrighted."

2022 Update: I've seen this one before. "You see, when they work the logic of it out..."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05