• need recommended usenet service

    From Big Bad Bob@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 13 01:18:34 2021
    My ISP is cancelling my service. It's a pathetic DSL but it has a fixed
    IP address. Unfortunately, it seems they do NOT offer an equivalent plan.

    I really did try, HARD, to stay with them to keep e-mail addresses and
    USENET and everything else they provide. But as it turns out, all they
    did was JERK ME AROUND and promise what they COULD NOT KEEP. That is, I
    wanted to keep a static IP address. After 2 weeks of disappointment,
    they finally admitted they would NOT offer this to me, even though up to
    that point they promised it.

    AT&T U-verse came out twice. first to set it up with a new hone line
    and modem and EVERYTHING. It's not AT&T's fault, though. It was
    EARTHLINK who promised me that the additional $15/month for the static
    IP still applied.

    So that gt canceled (even though it was effectively ready to go) because
    I basically can NOT have a dynamic IP address. It's a "deal breaker". I
    told them up front, multiple times, and keot making sure, but when the
    tech was here, he's like "dynamic setup". They LIED to me.

    Then I got a BUSINESS connection, for $3/month more, and promised a
    static IP. When the tech arrived, it was a "dynamic order".
    Re-schedule for later, he suggested, and I had to wait until the next
    day to contact Earthlink.

    THEN - I call AGAIN, and find out "we do not offer static IP". Really?
    Then you LIED to me TWICE!!! OK cancel everything, but the weire is
    still set up. See, they use AT&T U-verse as their provider.

    So guess what *I* did? I called AT&T of course, for a business
    connection! So on Tuesday they said they'd set it all up and give me a
    /29 IPv4 block [essentially] for about the same price as before with
    Earthlink (pathetic) DSL (with static IP). Buh-Bye, Earthlink!!! You
    wanted MORE $ to get LESS. And you have canceled what I wanted and
    jerked me around TOO MUCH! As soon as the new connection is up and
    running and the DNS caches have all updated, you're GONE.

    But, as far as I can tell, I won't have a USENET server with the new
    thing. So I'll have to buy that at an additional cost. I figure there
    are a LOT out there...

    https://www.usenet.com/

    and so I have choices. But if anyone has had a great experience with a particular service, please let me know (thanks). SSL login of course.


    --
    (aka 'Bombastic Bob' in case you wondered)

    'Feeling with my fingers, and thinking with my brain' - me

    'your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie'
    "Straighten up and fly right"

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Ant@21:1/5 to Big Bad Bob on Sat Nov 13 05:50:35 2021
    http://news.aioe.org and has SSL!


    Big Bad Bob <BigBadBob-at-mrp3-dot-com@testing.local> wrote:
    My ISP is cancelling my service. It's a pathetic DSL but it has a fixed
    IP address. Unfortunately, it seems they do NOT offer an equivalent plan.

    I really did try, HARD, to stay with them to keep e-mail addresses and
    USENET and everything else they provide. But as it turns out, all they
    did was JERK ME AROUND and promise what they COULD NOT KEEP. That is, I wanted to keep a static IP address. After 2 weeks of disappointment,
    they finally admitted they would NOT offer this to me, even though up to
    that point they promised it.

    AT&T U-verse came out twice. first to set it up with a new hone line
    and modem and EVERYTHING. It's not AT&T's fault, though. It was
    EARTHLINK who promised me that the additional $15/month for the static
    IP still applied.

    So that gt canceled (even though it was effectively ready to go) because
    I basically can NOT have a dynamic IP address. It's a "deal breaker". I
    told them up front, multiple times, and keot making sure, but when the
    tech was here, he's like "dynamic setup". They LIED to me.

    Then I got a BUSINESS connection, for $3/month more, and promised a
    static IP. When the tech arrived, it was a "dynamic order".
    Re-schedule for later, he suggested, and I had to wait until the next
    day to contact Earthlink.

    THEN - I call AGAIN, and find out "we do not offer static IP". Really?
    Then you LIED to me TWICE!!! OK cancel everything, but the weire is
    still set up. See, they use AT&T U-verse as their provider.

    So guess what *I* did? I called AT&T of course, for a business
    connection! So on Tuesday they said they'd set it all up and give me a
    /29 IPv4 block [essentially] for about the same price as before with Earthlink (pathetic) DSL (with static IP). Buh-Bye, Earthlink!!! You
    wanted MORE $ to get LESS. And you have canceled what I wanted and
    jerked me around TOO MUCH! As soon as the new connection is up and
    running and the DNS caches have all updated, you're GONE.

    But, as far as I can tell, I won't have a USENET server with the new
    thing. So I'll have to buy that at an additional cost. I figure there
    are a LOT out there...

    https://www.usenet.com/

    and so I have choices. But if anyone has had a great experience with a particular service, please let me know (thanks). SSL login of course.
    --
    It's summer again! Weather and life are loco! Being old sucks. :(
    Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly.
    /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org.
    / /\ /\ \ Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail.
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Big Bad Bombastic Bob@21:1/5 to Ant on Sat Nov 13 17:55:48 2021
    On 11/13/21 03:50, Ant wrote:
    http://news.aioe.org and has SSL!


    test using aoie - seems to work

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Ant@21:1/5 to Big Bad Bombastic Bob on Sat Nov 13 21:49:34 2021
    Big Bad Bombastic Bob <bobf.at.mrp3.dot.com@testing.local> wrote:
    On 11/13/21 03:50, Ant wrote:
    http://news.aioe.org and has SSL!


    test using aoie - seems to work

    :)
    --
    It's summer again! Weather and life are loco! Being old sucks. :(
    Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly.
    /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org.
    / /\ /\ \ Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail.
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From AnonymousCoward@21:1/5 to Big Bad Bob on Mon Nov 15 22:53:52 2021
    On Sat, 13 Nov 2021 01:18:34 -0800, Big Bad Bob wrote:

    But, as far as I can tell, I won't have a USENET server with the new
    thing. So I'll have to buy that at an additional cost. I figure there
    are a LOT out there...

    https://www.usenet.com/

    and so I have choices. But if anyone has had a great experience with a particular service, please let me know (thanks). SSL login of course.

    Do you want text and binaries or only text?
    For only text I would go for eternal-september.org. It's free

    For binaries i would avoid omicron backbone.
    List of comercial providers: https://www.reddit.com/r/Usenet/wiki/
    providers

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Big Bad Bob@21:1/5 to AnonymousCoward on Mon Nov 15 21:40:48 2021
    On 11/15/21 14:53, AnonymousCoward wrote:
    On Sat, 13 Nov 2021 01:18:34 -0800, Big Bad Bob wrote:

    But, as far as I can tell, I won't have a USENET server with the new
    thing. So I'll have to buy that at an additional cost. I figure there
    are a LOT out there...

    https://www.usenet.com/

    and so I have choices. But if anyone has had a great experience with a
    particular service, please let me know (thanks). SSL login of course.

    Do you want text and binaries or only text?
    For only text I would go for eternal-september.org. It's free

    For binaries i would avoid omicron backbone.
    List of comercial providers: https://www.reddit.com/r/Usenet/wiki/
    providers


    also, thanks. aioe seems to be pretty good but very little
    retention/history.

    giganews (what earthlink currently uses) is a little pricier but has a
    LOT of history.

    I'll check the ones you recommend as well (thanks).

    Unrelated, earthlink is SUPPOSED to keep my IP address fixed/static.
    But they know I'm dumping them. So it CHANGED withi the last hour,
    screwing up a bunch of stuff I do. FORTUNATELY, AT&T is coming tomorrow
    AM. Earthlink gets a ZERO STAR from ME for LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE.
    They LIED to me, wasted 2 weeks of my time, and (essentially) sold me on
    THEIR COMPETITOR'S SERVICE (AT&T) who I've always had at least decent
    dealings with. earthlink has been PAINFUL but did what I wanted UNTIL
    they screwed me on the fixed/static IP. I have had thenm for ~20 years
    and went from satisfied to tolerant and then "put up with it" and
    FINALLY "screw YOU earthlink!"

    (ok I'll rant in a different post later.)

    --
    (aka 'Bombastic Bob' in case you wondered)

    'Feeling with my fingers, and thinking with my brain' - me

    'your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie'
    "Straighten up and fly right"

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Auric__@21:1/5 to Big Bad Bob on Tue Nov 16 15:49:40 2021
    Big Bad Bob wrote:

    and so I have choices. But if anyone has had a great experience with a particular service, please let me know (thanks). SSL login of course.

    A friend of mine works (or used to?) as a dev for Easynews. Spoke highly of
    it, but, y'know, grain of salt and all that.

    --
    Can't kill a man unless you know for sure you ought to.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Big Bad Bombastic Bob@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 16 18:46:39 2021
    On 11/16/21 07:49, Auric__ wrote:
    Big Bad Bob wrote:

    and so I have choices. But if anyone has had a great experience with a
    particular service, please let me know (thanks). SSL login of course.

    A friend of mine works (or used to?) as a dev for Easynews. Spoke highly of it, but, y'know, grain of salt and all that.


    Thanks. New AT&T connection working well - you can test on
    bigbadbob.name if you like. Let me know if you find any problems.
    hopefully did not screw up the firewall...

    and the old earthlink connection has been killed, canceled, and
    abandoned to the trash heap.


    --
    (aka 'Bombastic Bob' in case you wondered)

    'Feeling with my fingers, and thinking with my brain' - me

    'your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie'
    "Straighten up and fly right"

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Auric__@21:1/5 to Big Bad Bombastic Bob on Wed Nov 17 05:24:55 2021
    Big Bad Bombastic Bob wrote:

    and the old earthlink connection has been killed, canceled, and
    abandoned to the trash heap.

    I used Earthlink right before 9/11 happened. Brought it with me when I
    traveled to San Diego to do my 2 weeks, had no problems. It's sad what 20
    years hath wrought.

    --
    Your journey to the Dark Side is now complete! Achievement unlocked!

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Big Bad Bombastic Bob@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 17 07:10:20 2021
    On 2021-11-16 21:24, Auric__ wrote:
    Big Bad Bombastic Bob wrote:

    and the old earthlink connection has been killed, canceled, and
    abandoned to the trash heap.

    I used Earthlink right before 9/11 happened. Brought it with me when I traveled to San Diego to do my 2 weeks, had no problems. It's sad what 20 years hath wrought.


    exactly! thing is, they had a lot to offer me back then. Fixed IP
    address for regular DSL, a home office setup. Decent bandwidth for "at
    the time" and reasonable results from occasional customer service. It
    slowly degraded into people with bad accentsl (obviously in India)
    sometimes friendly but usually *TOO* *FRIENDLY* (like "GET TO THE POINT" irritating) and unable to deviate from the boiler plate without
    aggressive responses from ME.

    And that culminated with OUTRIGHT LYING TO ME. TWICE.

    And, RIGHT BEFORE the AT&T setup was put in, THEY CHANGED MY IP ADDRESS
    WITHOUT WARNING. I maybe should have called them anyway to piss them
    off and get them to fix it or lie to me some more, but I did not. It's
    like "I'm filing for divorce tomorrow. I do not give a shit!"


    --
    (aka 'Bombastic Bob' in case you wondered)

    'Feeling with my fingers, and thinking with my brain' - me

    'your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie'
    "Straighten up and fly right"

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Big Bad Bombastic Bob@21:1/5 to Ant on Wed Nov 17 08:18:13 2021
    On 11/13/21 19:49, Ant wrote:
    Big Bad Bombastic Bob <bobf.at.mrp3.dot.com@testing.local> wrote:
    On 11/13/21 03:50, Ant wrote:
    http://news.aioe.org and has SSL!


    test using aoie - seems to work

    :)


    one thing I'e noticed, aioe does not seem to let you muck with NNTP
    headers. Nothing custom, basically.

    makes it difficult to post to "certain newsgroups". but for now I'm up
    and running.

    --
    (aka 'Bombastic Bob' in case you wondered)

    'Feeling with my fingers, and thinking with my brain' - me

    'your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie'
    "Straighten up and fly right"

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Ant@21:1/5 to not.my.real@email.address on Wed Nov 17 19:37:48 2021
    Auric__ <not.my.real@email.address> wrote:
    Big Bad Bombastic Bob wrote:

    and the old earthlink connection has been killed, canceled, and
    abandoned to the trash heap.

    I used Earthlink right before 9/11 happened. Brought it with me when I traveled to San Diego to do my 2 weeks, had no problems. It's sad what 20 years hath wrought.

    I miss old ELN. :(
    --
    Is summer finally over? Weather, buggy and slammy life are so crazy! Being old sucks. :(
    Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly.
    /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org.
    / /\ /\ \ Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail.
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)