• Re: God of the Gaps and Conspiracy Folk

From John Corbett@21:1/5 to Bud on Sat Jul 22 13:49:17 2023
    On Saturday, July 22, 2023 at 4:26:34 PM UTC-4, Bud wrote:
    I watch atheist versus theologian debates from time to time, and often the term "God of the Gaps" is employed by atheists. The concept is that wherever there is a gap in knowledge, the theologians will attempt to park the battleship of "God" there. The
    term goes back to Friedrich Nietzsche`s 1880s book "Thus Spoke Zarathustra", in which he wrote ""... into every gap they put their delusion, their stopgap, which they called God".

From Wikipedia...

"The term God-of-the-gaps fallacy can refer to a position that assumes an act of God as the explanation for an unknown phenomenon, which according to the users of the term, is a variant of an argument from ignorance fallacy. Such an argument is
    sometimes reduced to the following form:

There is a gap in understanding of some aspect of the natural world. Therefore, the cause must be supernatural. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps#:~:text=%22God%20of%20the%20gaps%22%20is,or%20proof%20of%20God's%20existence.

It shouldn`t be hard to see where I`m going with this. The conspiracy believers do the exact same thing with the concept of conspiracy, anywhere there is an unknown, an anomaly, a difficulty, there is where the conspiracy folks claims the conspiracy is
    at work.

Not long ago, the issue of the police examining a wallet at the Tippit murder scene was brought up. The wallet`s owner is unknown for certain, but the conspiracy folk were certain what was captured in the photo was the work of the conspiracy. That was
    considered a given, it was only the exact underhanded thing that being done, exactly what information was suppressed that conspiracy folk differed on.

You`ll see this a lot, Gil Jesus is probably the worst offender, but they all do it. Ben does it with the issue of Chaney not being called by the WC. It is unknown why Chaney wasn`t called, so Ben invents a conspiratorial one (of course the
    conspiratorial one makes little sense, Ben presents it as Chaney`s testimony would be some major problem for their findings, when film and testimony shows his assertion that Connally was struck after the headshot to be demonstrably wrong).

Simply put, if we don't know what else it could be, it must be this. This being the default
    explanation that the person is arguing for. It is illogical when arguing for God or a JFK
    conspiracy.

Carl Sagan had what I believe is the most sensible approach to the theological question. He
    found no compelling evidence of a deity. He would not go so far as to categorically rule it out.
    His position was that the known evidence did not allow for the kind of certitude both atheists
    and believers profess. Until we know what is, we cannot positively say what is not. Science
    can take us as far back as the Big Bang but can't tell us what came before that and what
    caused the Big Bang. I attended Catholic schools from K-9 and whenever someone came up
    with a question the priest or nun couldn't answer, they would fall back on "It's a mystery.".
    George Carlin even did a comedy routine on that. Science has its mysteries too. Stephen
    Hawking, an atheist, was once asked what came before the Big Bang. His answer was that
    was like asking what was north of the North Pole. To me, the seems to be the equivalent of
    "It's a mystery".

If atheism could answer all my questions, I would be an atheist. Until then, I will remain a
    devout agnostic.

I am not agnostic when it comes to the JFK assassination. I am 100% convinced Oswald was
    the assassin. There is no evidence he had even a single accomplice. While it is theoretically
    possible such an accomplice existed for which we have found no evidence, that possibility
    seems so remote as to be not worth considering.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Bud@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 22 13:26:32 2023
    I watch atheist versus theologian debates from time to time, and often the term "God of the Gaps" is employed by atheists. The concept is that wherever there is a gap in knowledge, the theologians will attempt to park the battleship of "God" there. The
    term goes back to Friedrich Nietzsche`s 1880s book "Thus Spoke Zarathustra", in which he wrote ""... into every gap they put their delusion, their stopgap, which they called God".

From Wikipedia...

"The term God-of-the-gaps fallacy can refer to a position that assumes an act of God as the explanation for an unknown phenomenon, which according to the users of the term, is a variant of an argument from ignorance fallacy. Such an argument is

There is a gap in understanding of some aspect of the natural world.
    Therefore, the cause must be supernatural.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps#:~:text=%22God%20of%20the%20gaps%22%20is,or%20proof%20of%20God's%20existence.

It shouldn`t be hard to see where I`m going with this. The conspiracy believers do the exact same thing with the concept of conspiracy, anywhere there is an unknown, an anomaly, a difficulty, there is where the conspiracy folks claims the conspiracy is
    at work.

Not long ago, the issue of the police examining a wallet at the Tippit murder scene was brought up. The wallet`s owner is unknown for certain, but the conspiracy folk were certain what was captured in the photo was the work of the conspiracy. That was
    considered a given, it was only the exact underhanded thing that being done, exactly what information was suppressed that conspiracy folk differed on.

You`ll see this a lot, Gil Jesus is probably the worst offender, but they all do it. Ben does it with the issue of Chaney not being called by the WC. It is unknown why Chaney wasn`t called, so Ben invents a conspiratorial one (of course the
    conspiratorial one makes little sense, Ben presents it as Chaney`s testimony would be some major problem for their findings, when film and testimony shows his assertion that Connally was struck after the headshot to be demonstrably wrong).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bud@21:1/5 to John Corbett on Sat Jul 22 14:36:51 2023
    On Saturday, July 22, 2023 at 4:49:19 PM UTC-4, John Corbett wrote:
    I watch atheist versus theologian debates from time to time, and often the term "God of the Gaps" is employed by atheists. The concept is that wherever there is a gap in knowledge, the theologians will attempt to park the battleship of "God" there.
    The term goes back to Friedrich Nietzsche`s 1880s book "Thus Spoke Zarathustra", in which he wrote ""... into every gap they put their delusion, their stopgap, which they called God".

From Wikipedia...

There is a gap in understanding of some aspect of the natural world. Therefore, the cause must be supernatural. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps#:~:text=%22God%20of%20the%20gaps%22%20is,or%20proof%20of%20God's%20existence.

It shouldn`t be hard to see where I`m going with this. The conspiracy believers do the exact same thing with the concept of conspiracy, anywhere there is an unknown, an anomaly, a difficulty, there is where the conspiracy folks claims the conspiracy
    is at work.

Not long ago, the issue of the police examining a wallet at the Tippit murder scene was brought up. The wallet`s owner is unknown for certain, but the conspiracy folk were certain what was captured in the photo was the work of the conspiracy. That
    was considered a given, it was only the exact underhanded thing that being done, exactly what information was suppressed that conspiracy folk differed on.

Simply put, if we don't know what else it could be, it must be this. This being the default
    explanation that the person is arguing for. It is illogical when arguing for God or a JFK
    conspiracy.

As Wikipedia points out, it is an argument from ignorance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

Carl Sagan had what I believe is the most sensible approach to the theological question.

Just for the record, I wasn`t trying to make any kind of theological argument here. Just pointing out the similarities in approaches. God could exist and the "god of the gaps" approach could still be open to criticism.

Of course I feel that in both cases it is borne of a great desire to get where you want to go (damn, I did make a theological argument). BT George, where are you?

He
    found no compelling evidence of a deity. He would not go so far as to categorically rule it out.

As I see it it is only a question of whether there is a reason to believe.

His position was that the known evidence did not allow for the kind of certitude both atheists
    and believers profess. Until we know what is, we cannot positively say what is not. Science
    can take us as far back as the Big Bang but can't tell us what came before that and what
    caused the Big Bang. I attended Catholic schools from K-9 and whenever someone came up
    with a question the priest or nun couldn't answer, they would fall back on "It's a mystery.".
    George Carlin even did a comedy routine on that. Science has its mysteries too. Stephen
    Hawking, an atheist, was once asked what came before the Big Bang. His answer was that
    was like asking what was north of the North Pole. To me, the seems to be the equivalent of
    "It's a mystery".

If atheism could answer all my questions, I would be an atheist. Until then, I will remain a
    devout agnostic.

Do you believe in God?

You can`t say "I don`t know" to that.

Stolen from Ricky Gervais, see 3:41 here...

https://youtu.be/u7bFWyEA02c

I am not agnostic when it comes to the JFK assassination. I am 100% convinced Oswald was
    the assassin. There is no evidence he had even a single accomplice. While it is theoretically
    possible such an accomplice existed for which we have found no evidence, that possibility

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From neus@21:1/5 to John Corbett on Sat Jul 22 22:59:50 2023
    John Corbett wrote:
    I watch atheist versus theologian debates from time to time, and often the term "God of the Gaps" is employed by atheists. The concept is that wherever there is a gap in knowledge, the theologians will attempt to park the battleship of "God" there.
    The term goes back to Friedrich Nietzsche`s 1880s book "Thus Spoke Zarathustra", in which he wrote ""... into every gap they put their delusion, their stopgap, which they called God".

From Wikipedia...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps#:~:text=%22God%20of%20the%20gaps%22%20is,or%20proof%20of%20God's%20existence.

It shouldn`t be hard to see where I`m going with this. The conspiracy believers do the exact same thing with the concept of conspiracy, anywhere there is an unknown, an anomaly, a difficulty, there is where the conspiracy folks claims the conspiracy
    is at work.

conspiracy.

Carl Sagan had what I believe is the most sensible approach to the theological question. He
    -------------------------

God is a complete mystery.
    The only connection that humans can have with Him
    is, through the given gift of free will, to say I believe, or
    I do not believe.

ne

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bud@21:1/5 to John Corbett on Sat Jul 22 16:02:21 2023
    On Saturday, July 22, 2023 at 6:43:02 PM UTC-4, John Corbett wrote:
    On Saturday, July 22, 2023 at 5:36:53 PM UTC-4, Bud wrote:
    I watch atheist versus theologian debates from time to time, and often the term "God of the Gaps" is employed by atheists. The concept is that wherever there is a gap in knowledge, the theologians will attempt to park the battleship of "God"
    there. The term goes back to Friedrich Nietzsche`s 1880s book "Thus Spoke Zarathustra", in which he wrote ""... into every gap they put their delusion, their stopgap, which they called God".

From Wikipedia...

It shouldn`t be hard to see where I`m going with this. The conspiracy believers do the exact same thing with the concept of conspiracy, anywhere there is an unknown, an anomaly, a difficulty, there is where the conspiracy folks claims the
    conspiracy is at work.

Not long ago, the issue of the police examining a wallet at the Tippit murder scene was brought up. The wallet`s owner is unknown for certain, but the conspiracy folk were certain what was captured in the photo was the work of the conspiracy.
    That was considered a given, it was only the exact underhanded thing that being done, exactly what information was suppressed that conspiracy folk differed on.

conspiracy.

Carl Sagan had what I believe is the most sensible approach to the theological question.
    Just for the record, I wasn`t trying to make any kind of theological argument here. Just pointing out the similarities in approaches. God could exist and the "god of the gaps" approach could still be open to criticism.

Of course I feel that in both cases it is borne of a great desire to get where you want to go (damn, I did make a theological argument). BT George, where are you?
    He
    "It's a mystery".

devout agnostic.
    Do you believe in God?

Between his thick accent, by laptop's weak speakers, and my poor ears, I had a hard time
    making out all of his argument,

Just hit the "CC" if you are having a problem.

but what I could make out, I don't agree with. I see nothing that
    defies logic to say I don't know if God exists.

There is knowledge and there is belief. Just because you don`t have knowledge doesn`t rule out having belief.

If we define God as an intelligent, supernatural
    being who created everything in the cosmos, I have serious doubts but I cannot rule out the
    possibility of such a supreme being because I don't know what created everything in the cosmos.
    I'm not counting on there being an afterlife, but since I've never spoken to anyone who has died,
    there is room for doubt.

Since you cited a comedian, I remember a Steve Martin routine when he was still doing comedy.

"What if you died and you went to heaven and it was just like the said it was, with pearly gates and angels playing harps? Wouldn't you feel stupid?"

What if you are a devout Christian and you find yourself facing Zeus?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Corbett@21:1/5 to neus on Sat Jul 22 15:44:06 2023
    On Saturday, July 22, 2023 at 6:01:00 PM UTC-4, neus wrote:
    John Corbett wrote:

From Wikipedia...

is at work.

Not long ago, the issue of the police examining a wallet at the Tippit murder scene was brought up. The wallet`s owner is unknown for certain, but the conspiracy folk were certain what was captured in the photo was the work of the conspiracy. That
    was considered a given, it was only the exact underhanded thing that being done, exactly what information was suppressed that conspiracy folk differed on.

conspiracy.

-------------------------

God is a complete mystery.
    The only connection that humans can have with Him
    is, through the given gift of free will, to say I believe, or
    I do not believe.

Or in my case, to say, "I don't fucking know".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Corbett@21:1/5 to Bud on Sat Jul 22 15:43:00 2023

From Wikipedia...

It shouldn`t be hard to see where I`m going with this. The conspiracy believers do the exact same thing with the concept of conspiracy, anywhere there is an unknown, an anomaly, a difficulty, there is where the conspiracy folks claims the
    conspiracy is at work.

conspiracy.

He
    "It's a mystery".

devout agnostic.
    Do you believe in God?

Between his thick accent, by laptop's weak speakers, and my poor ears, I had a hard time
    making out all of his argument, but what I could make out, I don't agree with. I see nothing that
    defies logic to say I don't know if God exists. If we define God as an intelligent, supernatural
    being who created everything in the cosmos, I have serious doubts but I cannot rule out the
    possibility of such a supreme being because I don't know what created everything in the cosmos.
    I'm not counting on there being an afterlife, but since I've never spoken to anyone who has died,
    there is room for doubt.

Since you cited a comedian, I remember a Steve Martin routine when he was still doing comedy.

"What if you died and you went to heaven and it was just like the said it was, with pearly gates and angels playing harps? Wouldn't you feel stupid?"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Corbett@21:1/5 to Bud on Sat Jul 22 16:20:12 2023
    On Saturday, July 22, 2023 at 7:02:22 PM UTC-4, Bud wrote:
    I watch atheist versus theologian debates from time to time, and often the term "God of the Gaps" is employed by atheists. The concept is that wherever there is a gap in knowledge, the theologians will attempt to park the battleship of "God"
    there. The term goes back to Friedrich Nietzsche`s 1880s book "Thus Spoke Zarathustra", in which he wrote ""... into every gap they put their delusion, their stopgap, which they called God".

From Wikipedia...

conspiracy is at work.

Not long ago, the issue of the police examining a wallet at the Tippit murder scene was brought up. The wallet`s owner is unknown for certain, but the conspiracy folk were certain what was captured in the photo was the work of the conspiracy.
    That was considered a given, it was only the exact underhanded thing that being done, exactly what information was suppressed that conspiracy folk differed on.

conspiracy.

He
    "It's a mystery".

devout agnostic.
    Do you believe in God?

I'll check that out. I've never noticed a CC button but I've never looked for it.

There is knowledge and there is belief. Just because you don`t have knowledge doesn`t rule out having belief.

I don't believe there is a God but I don't know that to be a fact. Presumably, there are forces that
    caused the universe as we know it to come into being. What we don't know if there was an
    intelligence behind that force or things just happened randomly.

there is room for doubt.

You might get a lightning bolt up your ass.

Believers have one big advantage over non-believers. If believers are wrong, they will never know
    it. If non-believers are wrong, they could be in deep shit.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bud@21:1/5 to John Corbett on Sat Jul 22 16:41:21 2023
    On Saturday, July 22, 2023 at 7:20:14 PM UTC-4, John Corbett wrote:

From Wikipedia...

"The term God-of-the-gaps fallacy can refer to a position that assumes an act of God as the explanation for an unknown phenomenon, which according to the users of the term, is a variant of an argument from ignorance fallacy. Such an argument
    is sometimes reduced to the following form:

Therefore, the cause must be supernatural. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps#:~:text=%22God%20of%20the%20gaps%22%20is,or%20proof%20of%20God's%20existence.

conspiracy is at work.

conspiracy.

He
    "It's a mystery".

devout agnostic.
    Do you believe in God?

I'll check that out. I've never noticed a CC button but I've never looked for it.
    I don't believe there is a God but I don't know that to be a fact. Presumably, there are forces that
    caused the universe as we know it to come into being. What we don't know if there was an
    there is room for doubt.

Believers have one big advantage over non-believers. If believers are wrong, they will never know

Pascal`s Wager.

But it assumes there is no downside to belief.

A good video on Pascal`s Wager

https://youtu.be/YBCDGohZT70

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gil Jesus@21:1/5 to Bud on Sun Jul 23 02:39:48 2023

anywhere there is an unknown, an anomaly, a difficulty, there is where the conspiracy folks claims the conspiracy is at work.
    You`ll see this a lot, Gil Jesus is probably the worst offender, but they all do it.

So you admit there are problems with the evidence in this case ?

I don't claim any conspiracy at work.
    I post official documents, testimony, exhibits and videos of the witnesses themselves.
    All you post is bullshit like this.
    I prove that there are problems with the evidence in this case, which apparently, you admit exist as "unknowns", "anomalies" and "difficulties".
    I expose the lies in the official version.

The only gap here is between your ears.
    And its a pretty big one.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Corbett@21:1/5 to Bud on Sun Jul 23 03:30:08 2023
    On Saturday, July 22, 2023 at 7:41:23 PM UTC-4, Bud wrote:

From Wikipedia...

"The term God-of-the-gaps fallacy can refer to a position that assumes an act of God as the explanation for an unknown phenomenon, which according to the users of the term, is a variant of an argument from ignorance fallacy. Such an
    argument is sometimes reduced to the following form:

Therefore, the cause must be supernatural. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps#:~:text=%22God%20of%20the%20gaps%22%20is,or%20proof%20of%20God's%20existence.

conspiracy is at work.

Not long ago, the issue of the police examining a wallet at the Tippit murder scene was brought up. The wallet`s owner is unknown for certain, but the conspiracy folk were certain what was captured in the photo was the work of the
    conspiracy. That was considered a given, it was only the exact underhanded thing that being done, exactly what information was suppressed that conspiracy folk differed on.

conspiracy.

He
    "It's a mystery".

devout agnostic.
    Do you believe in God?

there is room for doubt.

Pascal`s Wager.

Interesting arguments, but since I don't live my life based on a hope and belief of being in
    heaven for an eternity, it doesn't really apply to me. If it turns out there is a God and he's pissed
    because I used the brain he gave me to doubt his existence, I guess I'll suffer the consequences.

I like George Carlin's take on it. If you're a sinner who has not repented your sins, God will send
    you to hell when you die where you'll endure unimaginable suffering for the rest of eternity......
    but he loves you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Corbett@21:1/5 to Gil Jesus on Sun Jul 23 03:18:10 2023
    On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 5:39:49 AM UTC-4, Gil Jesus wrote:

anywhere there is an unknown, an anomaly, a difficulty, there is where the conspiracy folks claims the conspiracy is at work.
    You`ll see this a lot, Gil Jesus is probably the worst offender, but they all do it.

I post official documents, testimony, exhibits and videos of the witnesses themselves.
    I prove that there are problems with the evidence in this case,

Claiming is not proving.

which apparently, you admit exist as "unknowns", "anomalies" and "difficulties".

These factors do not invalidate the evidence. An intelligent person explores these things to
    find the answer. He does not automatically assume this invalidates the evidence which is your
    approach.

There are no lies in the official version if by the official version you mean the WCR.

This is Gil trying to be clever. It's not working.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bud@21:1/5 to John Corbett on Sun Jul 23 04:36:21 2023
    On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 6:30:10 AM UTC-4, John Corbett wrote:
    I watch atheist versus theologian debates from time to time, and often the term "God of the Gaps" is employed by atheists. The concept is that wherever there is a gap in knowledge, the theologians will attempt to park the battleship of "
    God" there. The term goes back to Friedrich Nietzsche`s 1880s book "Thus Spoke Zarathustra", in which he wrote ""... into every gap they put their delusion, their stopgap, which they called God".

From Wikipedia...

"The term God-of-the-gaps fallacy can refer to a position that assumes an act of God as the explanation for an unknown phenomenon, which according to the users of the term, is a variant of an argument from ignorance fallacy. Such an

conspiracy is at work.

Not long ago, the issue of the police examining a wallet at the Tippit murder scene was brought up. The wallet`s owner is unknown for certain, but the conspiracy folk were certain what was captured in the photo was the work of the
    conspiracy. That was considered a given, it was only the exact underhanded thing that being done, exactly what information was suppressed that conspiracy folk differed on.

You`ll see this a lot, Gil Jesus is probably the worst offender, but they all do it. Ben does it with the issue of Chaney not being called by the WC. It is unknown why Chaney wasn`t called, so Ben invents a conspiratorial one (of course
    the conspiratorial one makes little sense, Ben presents it as Chaney`s testimony would be some major problem for their findings, when film and testimony shows his assertion that Connally was struck after the headshot to be demonstrably wrong).
    conspiracy.

He
    "It's a mystery".

devout agnostic.
    Do you believe in God?

there is room for doubt.

Pascal`s Wager.

Interesting arguments,

I only linked to it because the concept you expressed was a well known trope, summed up as Pascal`s Wager.

But whenever I watch these videos, I always get the "that sounds familiar" feeling, and realize the exact same things applies to conspiracy ideas. You may have notice that at the very beginning of the video he talks about ideas that are recycled, that
    seem to go away but then return. Quite obvious that happens here.

but since I don't live my life based on a hope and belief of being in
    heaven for an eternity, it doesn't really apply to me. If it turns out there is a God and he's pissed
    because I used the brain he gave me to doubt his existence, I guess I'll suffer the consequences.

It appears God favors people who are willing to accept extraordinary things on no evidence.

I like George Carlin's take on it. If you're a sinner who has not repented your sins, God will send
    you to hell when you die where you'll endure unimaginable suffering for the rest of eternity......
    but he loves you.

Yes, quite the paradox. And being omnipotent he knows how everything will play out before they happen, so what is the point?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bud@21:1/5 to Gil Jesus on Sun Jul 23 04:27:13 2023
    On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 5:39:49 AM UTC-4, Gil Jesus wrote:

That is the problem with conspiracy hobbyists in a nutshell. Information goes into their brain and it gets converted to something else, usually into what they are comfortable with.

I said there were unknowns. I said conspiracy folk fill in those unknowns with conspiratorial ideas. That was the premise. Call it "conspiracy of the gaps".

You do, you are just too stupid to realize it. You have the cops conspiring to make Oswald appear guilty, right?

You needn`t bother, it is available online.

The evidence is almost entirely static. What differs is the approaches used to it, the significance given to certain things, the interpretation of certain things, ect. This post is to highlight a certain approach to the evidence that all conspiracy
    hobbyists use. You are one of the worst offenders. But nothing I am pointing out is going to appear on your radar, you have a mental block that protects your fragile psyche from critical thinking, an apparent learning disability coupled with an attention
    deficiency.

I prove that there are problems with the evidence in this case, which apparently, you admit exist as "unknowns", "anomalies" and "difficulties".

So you use a different word, the concept remains the same. This is all the product of human beings, and human beings are fallible. They don`t always relate information precisely. The don`t always remember things accurately. You get what you get, this
    post highlights the tendency of conspiracy folk to insert their ideas into these areas you call "problems". But then they totally ignore the implications of inserting their ideas into these areas. When their insertions cause problems, those problems are
    ignored.

That is how you see it.

I see it as you playing childish games with the deaths of these men.

I`m the one using the gray matter to reason. You should try it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Corbett@21:1/5 to Bud on Sun Jul 23 05:58:33 2023
    On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 7:36:23 AM UTC-4, Bud wrote:
    On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 6:30:10 AM UTC-4, John Corbett wrote:
    I watch atheist versus theologian debates from time to time, and often the term "God of the Gaps" is employed by atheists. The concept is that wherever there is a gap in knowledge, the theologians will attempt to park the battleship of "
    God" there. The term goes back to Friedrich Nietzsche`s 1880s book "Thus Spoke Zarathustra", in which he wrote ""... into every gap they put their delusion, their stopgap, which they called God".

From Wikipedia...

It shouldn`t be hard to see where I`m going with this. The conspiracy believers do the exact same thing with the concept of conspiracy, anywhere there is an unknown, an anomaly, a difficulty, there is where the conspiracy folks claims
    the conspiracy is at work.

You`ll see this a lot, Gil Jesus is probably the worst offender, but they all do it. Ben does it with the issue of Chaney not being called by the WC. It is unknown why Chaney wasn`t called, so Ben invents a conspiratorial one (of course
    the conspiratorial one makes little sense, Ben presents it as Chaney`s testimony would be some major problem for their findings, when film and testimony shows his assertion that Connally was struck after the headshot to be demonstrably wrong).
    conspiracy.

He
    "It's a mystery".

devout agnostic.
    Do you believe in God?

there is room for doubt.

Pascal`s Wager.

Interesting arguments,
    I only linked to it because the concept you expressed was a well known trope, summed up as Pascal`s Wager.

But whenever I watch these videos, I always get the "that sounds familiar" feeling, and realize the exact same things applies to conspiracy ideas. You may have notice that at the very beginning of the video he talks about ideas that are recycled, that
    seem to go away but then return. Quite obvious that happens here.
    but since I don't live my life based on a hope and belief of being in heaven for an eternity, it doesn't really apply to me. If it turns out there is a God and he's pissed
    It appears God favors people who are willing to accept extraordinary things on no evidence.
    but he loves you.
    Yes, quite the paradox. And being omnipotent he knows how everything will play out before they happen, so what is the point?

That reminds me of an excellent question a girl in my 6th grade class asked our teacher. If God
    knows everything, including the future, and he knows you are going to steal a candy bar, how
    could you not steal the candy bar? To believe that God knows the future is to believe in
    predetermination meaning we have no free will. If God knew Oswald was going to shoot JFK,
    Oswald had no choice in the matter. He didn't have the option of saying, "Fuck you, God. I'm not
    going to do it.".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ben Holmes@21:1/5 to geowright1963@gmail.com on Mon Jul 24 07:34:30 2023
    On Sat, 22 Jul 2023 13:49:17 -0700 (PDT), John Corbett <geowright1963@gmail.com> wrote:

conspiracy.

And it's simply a lie on your part.

"It's a mystery".

devout agnostic.

And when you INTENTIONALLY ignore the fact that no search for any
    "accomplices" ever occurred, your placing your faith over the facts.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bud@21:1/5 to Ben Holmes on Thu Jul 27 17:32:06 2023
    On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 10:34:42 AM UTC-4, Ben Holmes wrote:
    On Sun, 23 Jul 2023 03:18:10 -0700 (PDT), John Corbett
    <geowri...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 5:39:49?AM UTC-4, Gil Jesus wrote:
    On Saturday, July 22, 2023 at 4:26:34?PM UTC-4, Bud wrote:

I prove that there are problems with the evidence in this case,

Claiming is not proving.
    There is **NOTHING** that would prove to you the most solid and
    supported of facts if said fact contradicts your faith.
    which apparently, you admit exist as "unknowns", "anomalies" and "difficulties".

These factors do not invalidate the evidence. An intelligent person explores these things to
    find the answer. He does not automatically assume this invalidates the evidence which is your
    approach.
    Gil is referencing standard American justice. You are TERRIFIED of
    it, because you know that the WCR was not an investigation, but a prosecution.

There are no lies in the official version if by the official version you mean the WCR.
    I've documented many of them. Here's #1 in that series:

Speculation. - Tippit and his killer knew each other.
    Commission finding. - Investigation has revealed no evidence that
    Oswald and Tippit were acquainted, had ever seen each other, or had
    any mutual acquaintances. (WCR 651)

"...recalled the person now recognized as Oswald was last seen by her
    in the restaurant at about 10 a.m. Wednesday, November 20, at which
    time he was "nasty" and used curse words in connection with his order.
    She went on to relate that Officer J.D. Tippit was in the restaurant,
    as was his habit at about that time each morning, and "shot a glance
    at Oswald." She said there was no indication, however, that they knew
    each other. (CE 3001)

The WCR lied when stating that there was no evidence that Oswald and
    Tippit had ever seen each other.

They were certainly wrong to say Tippit never saw Oswald, Tippit saw Oswald when Oswald shot him to death.

You can't refute this... nor will you even try. Nor can you cite any refutation of this fact BY ANY BELIEVER ANYWHERE ON THE INTERNET.

Such a refutation doesn't exist.

So clearly, and provably... YOU'RE A LIAR.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ben Holmes@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 3 07:00:28 2023
    On Sat, 22 Jul 2023 13:26:32 -0700 (PDT), Bud <sirslick@fast.net>
    wrote:

From Wikipedia...

There is a gap in understanding of some aspect of the natural world. >Therefore, the cause must be supernatural.

is at work.

You`ll see this a lot, Gil Jesus is probably the worst offender, but they all do it. Ben does it with the issue of Chaney not being called by the WC. It is unknown why Chaney wasn`t called,

Sadly, this is what **YOU** are doing... you simply REFUSE to offer
    any credible explanation for the known facts, then blame *me* for your inability.

so Ben invents a conspiratorial one (of course the conspiratorial one
    makes little sense,

So you're acknowledging that I can do what you cannot. Then whining
    that it makes "little sense." An empty claim, and therefore a lie.

Ben presents it as Chaney`s testimony would be some major problem
    for their findings, when film and testimony shows his assertion that
    Connally was struck after the headshot to be demonstrably wrong).

Now you're simply lying. Of course, we knew that when you made an
    empty assertion devoid of any citations.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05