• Cloner Type of App

From jaugustine@verizon.net@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 24 10:32:51 2024
    Hi,

I use a stereo system that allows me to plug in a USB flash drive with
    .MP3 music files.

I often listen to music this way and prefer having my favorite Albums (folders) in an order (NOT alphabetical) I prefer.

I would like to make a Back Up of this flash drive encase it gets damaged.

I am WILLING TO PAY for a Cloner type of app that will allow me to
    duplicate this USB flash drive to another without changing the order of Albums/folders and songs.

Note: I am using FAT32 flash drives for music. FAT32 file system allows unsorted files and folders.

Thank You in advance, John

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Ed Cryer@21:1/5 to jaugustine@verizon.net on Tue Sep 24 15:51:13 2024
    jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
    Hi,

I use a stereo system that allows me to plug in a USB flash drive with .MP3 music files.

I often listen to music this way and prefer having my favorite Albums (folders) in an order (NOT alphabetical) I prefer.

I am WILLING TO PAY for a Cloner type of app that will allow me to duplicate this USB flash drive to another without changing the order of Albums/folders and songs.

Note: I am using FAT32 flash drives for music. FAT32 file system allows unsorted files and folders.

Don't go paying for such a commonplace piece of software. The Net will
    always be flooded with free versions. They're favourite items for
    trainee programmers, retired programmers, etc. In addition there's a
    whole stockpile of copy utilities available.
    If you want a well-tested program that has a superb GUI, professional appearance and behaviour, and which you can use for far more than just
    backing up a music library, go for Macrium Reflect. The latest version
    has 30-day trial before having to pay, but an excellent previous version
    is available here; https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html

I can see why you've reposted this request. Your previous thread got
    bogged down in the technical intricacies of file order; but you're
    partly to blame because of the way you framed it.

Ed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul@21:1/5 to jaugustine@verizon.net on Tue Sep 24 15:03:13 2024
    On Tue, 9/24/2024 10:32 AM, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
    Hi,

I use a stereo system that allows me to plug in a USB flash drive with .MP3 music files.

I am WILLING TO PAY for a Cloner type of app that will allow me to duplicate this USB flash drive to another without changing the order of Albums/folders and songs.

Unfortunately, Windows backup utilities (twenty or thirty of them)
    do not "like" USB flash sticks as a media.

This means you have to be careful, when searching via Google for such an animal.

I found this one, but it still makes me a bit nervous that
    it actually does what the article claims it does.

https://www.easeus.com/backup-utility/how-to-backup-files-on-usb-flash-drive.html

(They offer a stub installer, rather than the whole file.)

https://download2.easeus.com/tb.php?product=tb_free&tid=tb_free_installer&id=17272041202271b941738&dateline=1727204118

For an "event" setting, you do not want "backup on insertion". A simple
    "backup on demand" such as launching the backup plan from a menu,
    would be sufficient. Some people do not keep their backup storage hard drive connected to the back of the machine, at all times, which is why
    "backup on insertion" isn't a good idea.

Other backup programs, they "sniff" each storage device. If the storage
    device claims it is "Removable Media", they become frightened and run away. That's mainly what is going on. for some USB flash sticks, the RMB bit
    has been set inside the flash stick, to indicate the flash stick
    is "Fixed Media", and *those* sticks can be backed up by Macrium (or others). There were a few Sony-branded sticks with this feature, but generally speaking, listing the RMB bit in an advert for a USB flash stick, nobody does that.
    We have to guess. But the standing in Disk Management, is one way to get
    an indication. It says right in Disk Management "Removable Media" for your USB.

In a moment of desperation, yes, you can *easily* back up a USB stick.
    For example, if it was on fire, you could use the Chrysocome "dd.exe".
    It does not care about RMB bits, because it is a low level utility.

Instructions

http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

Download

http://www.chrysocome.net/download (If a Google Vignette pops up, use the "reload" button on your browser, do not
    click any google shit on the surface of the page at that moment. Cookie material.)

http://www.chrysocome.net/downloads/dd-0.6beta3.zip (Unpack the ZIP, to get "dd.exe" utility)

You use that in a Administrator window (because it accesses at physical level).

dd --list

NT Block Device Objects
    \\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition0 <=== "Partition0 means backup the whole stick"
    link to \\?\Device\Harddisk0\DR0
    Fixed hard disk media. Block size = 512
    size is 4000787030016 bytes <=== Verify the size of the device is correct, that needs backup

That example, would be equivalent to the first row of a Disk Management window. Harddisk1 is the second row.

Use a "factor" utility, to figure out the block size. The power-of-two part of the factor
    output, I have labeled it as my blocksize parameter for the next command usage. There is
    a bug in "dd" where it is not all that clever about overruns, so it helps to state
    unequivocally what you want.

$ factor 4000787030016
    4000787030016: 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 7 2584007
    \_______________________/ \_____________/
    8192 488377323

dd if=\\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition0 of=C:\temp\usbflsh.img bs=8192 count=488377323

Now my flash stick is stored on my C drive, in my Temp folder.

If the flash stick was X bytes in size, the backup image is also X bytes in size.
    White-space areas of the flash drive are being backed up, which is unlike
    how an Easeus or a Macrium would do it. Utilizing compression of the "usbflsh.img"
    would not completely remove the impact of (random-data) white space being backed up.

But this *is* a backup. For example, 7ZIP can open the .img file, if you absolutely
    need your files back. Or alternately, you can "dd.exe" transfer the .img file, back
    onto another equal-sized or bigger, USB stick.

This method works best for MSDOS partitioned media. You have to be careful with GPT media (USB sticks aren't normally set up that way), because the secondary partition
    table is at the end of GPT media, and any "size" errors while restoring, cause the loss
    of the secondary table. That table is redundant, but various tools barf if you lose it.

So "dd.exe" can be used for more types of media, and is my "baseline" backup utility,
    ensuring no data gets lost. Calibrating an Easeus or a Macrium, would take more time and effort, and not all backup tasks have the luxury of waiting that long. The "dd.exe" (no matter what platform you find a version), will work.
    DD is available on Windows (third party), Linux, Unix, MacOS, FreeBSD, plus others.
    And in cases where the media is damaged, the "ddrescue" of Linux can help
    with that. Regular "dd" would stop on a media error... same as some
    of the Windows backup programs, stop on media error. A USB may not get media errors quite the same way as your hard drive, but on the other hand,
    "a USB stick can just drop dead". That's how mine have gone. No response.

Always double-check your command syntax when using "dd", as it can
    cause a hell of a lot of damage if you make a typing mistake. Using Easeus,
    it would be the same thing, if you "restored over" the wrong disk drive.

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ed Cryer@21:1/5 to Paul on Wed Sep 25 10:29:58 2024
    Paul wrote:
    On Tue, 9/24/2024 10:32 AM, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
    Hi,

I use a stereo system that allows me to plug in a USB flash drive with >> .MP3 music files.

I often listen to music this way and prefer having my favorite Albums >> (folders) in an order (NOT alphabetical) I prefer.

duplicate this USB flash drive to another without changing the order of
    Albums/folders and songs.

Note: I am using FAT32 flash drives for music. FAT32 file system allows
    unsorted files and folders.

Unfortunately, Windows backup utilities (twenty or thirty of them)
    do not "like" USB flash sticks as a media.

This means you have to be careful, when searching via Google for such an animal.

I found this one, but it still makes me a bit nervous that
    it actually does what the article claims it does.

https://www.easeus.com/backup-utility/how-to-backup-files-on-usb-flash-drive.html

(They offer a stub installer, rather than the whole file.)

https://download2.easeus.com/tb.php?product=tb_free&tid=tb_free_installer&id=17272041202271b941738&dateline=1727204118

For an "event" setting, you do not want "backup on insertion". A simple "backup on demand" such as launching the backup plan from a menu,
    would be sufficient. Some people do not keep their backup storage hard drive connected to the back of the machine, at all times, which is why
    "backup on insertion" isn't a good idea.

Other backup programs, they "sniff" each storage device. If the storage device claims it is "Removable Media", they become frightened and run away. That's mainly what is going on. for some USB flash sticks, the RMB bit
    has been set inside the flash stick, to indicate the flash stick
    is "Fixed Media", and *those* sticks can be backed up by Macrium (or others). There were a few Sony-branded sticks with this feature, but generally speaking,
    listing the RMB bit in an advert for a USB flash stick, nobody does that.
    We have to guess. But the standing in Disk Management, is one way to get
    an indication. It says right in Disk Management "Removable Media" for your USB.

In a moment of desperation, yes, you can *easily* back up a USB stick.
    For example, if it was on fire, you could use the Chrysocome "dd.exe".
    It does not care about RMB bits, because it is a low level utility.

Instructions

http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

Download

http://www.chrysocome.net/download (If a Google Vignette pops up, use the "reload" button on your browser, do not
    click any google shit on the surface of the page at that moment. Cookie material.)

http://www.chrysocome.net/downloads/dd-0.6beta3.zip (Unpack the ZIP, to get "dd.exe" utility)

You use that in a Administrator window (because it accesses at physical level).

dd --list

NT Block Device Objects
    \\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition0 <=== "Partition0 means backup the whole stick"
    link to \\?\Device\Harddisk0\DR0
    Fixed hard disk media. Block size = 512
    size is 4000787030016 bytes <=== Verify the size of the device is correct, that needs backup

That example, would be equivalent to the first row of a Disk Management window. Harddisk1 is the second row.

Use a "factor" utility, to figure out the block size. The power-of-two part of the factor
    output, I have labeled it as my blocksize parameter for the next command usage. There is
    a bug in "dd" where it is not all that clever about overruns, so it helps to state
    unequivocally what you want.

$ factor 4000787030016
    4000787030016: 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 7 2584007
    \_______________________/ \_____________/
    8192 488377323

dd if=\\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition0 of=C:\temp\usbflsh.img bs=8192 count=488377323

Now my flash stick is stored on my C drive, in my Temp folder.

If the flash stick was X bytes in size, the backup image is also X bytes in size.
    White-space areas of the flash drive are being backed up, which is unlike
    how an Easeus or a Macrium would do it. Utilizing compression of the "usbflsh.img"
    would not completely remove the impact of (random-data) white space being backed up.

But this *is* a backup. For example, 7ZIP can open the .img file, if you absolutely
    need your files back. Or alternately, you can "dd.exe" transfer the .img file, back
    onto another equal-sized or bigger, USB stick.

This method works best for MSDOS partitioned media. You have to be careful with
    GPT media (USB sticks aren't normally set up that way), because the secondary partition
    table is at the end of GPT media, and any "size" errors while restoring, cause the loss
    of the secondary table. That table is redundant, but various tools barf if you lose it.

So "dd.exe" can be used for more types of media, and is my "baseline" backup utility,
    ensuring no data gets lost. Calibrating an Easeus or a Macrium, would take more
    time and effort, and not all backup tasks have the luxury of waiting that long.
    The "dd.exe" (no matter what platform you find a version), will work.
    DD is available on Windows (third party), Linux, Unix, MacOS, FreeBSD, plus others.
    And in cases where the media is damaged, the "ddrescue" of Linux can help with that. Regular "dd" would stop on a media error... same as some
    of the Windows backup programs, stop on media error. A USB may not get media errors quite the same way as your hard drive, but on the other hand,
    "a USB stick can just drop dead". That's how mine have gone. No response.

Always double-check your command syntax when using "dd", as it can
    cause a hell of a lot of damage if you make a typing mistake. Using Easeus, it would be the same thing, if you "restored over" the wrong disk drive.

Paul

This one claims to work with USB sticks and FAT 32. And it comes with a
    simple installer;
    https://www.diskgenius.com/download.php

Ed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jaugustine@verizon.net@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 25 11:44:17 2024
    <SNIP>
    If you want a well-tested program that has a superb GUI, professional >appearance and behaviour, and which you can use for far more than just >backing up a music library, go for Macrium Reflect. The latest version
    is available here; >https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html

Ed

Hi Ed,

I downloaded that Macrium... app via the link above, and installed it
    on my Windows 7 laptop.

I plugged in my source USB flash drive with 22 Albums/folders (NOT in alphabetical order). Each Album contains MP3 music files.

I also plugged in another empty USB flash drive to be the destination.

Note: Both are FAT32.

However, trying to use Macrium was a bit overwhelming. There were
    pre checked options for functions I am NOT familiar with.

I had no problem selecting the Source USB flash drive, but for Destination, I became confused. I did NOT want an image of
    the Source, I think that was one option.

I will look for a demonstration video for using this app as a "cloner".

Thanks again, John

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ed Cryer@21:1/5 to jaugustine@verizon.net on Wed Sep 25 19:19:39 2024
    <SNIP>
    If you want a well-tested program that has a superb GUI, professional
    appearance and behaviour, and which you can use for far more than just
    is available here;
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html >>

Ed

Hi Ed,

on my Windows 7 laptop.

I plugged in my source USB flash drive with 22 Albums/folders (NOT in alphabetical order). Each Album contains MP3 music files.

I had no problem selecting the Source USB flash drive, but for Destination, I became confused. I did NOT want an image of

Thanks again, John

Plug in your USB drive. Load Macrium Reflect. Ensure just your USB is
    ticked, then click on the blue of the display; two options will appear underneath; clone or image. Select clone and then choose your backup USB.

Ed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jaugustine@verizon.net@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 25 14:51:08 2024
    <SNIP>
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html >>>

Ed

Hi Ed,

I downloaded that Macrium... app via the link above, and installed it >> on my Windows 7 laptop.

I plugged in my source USB flash drive with 22 Albums/folders (NOT in >> alphabetical order). Each Album contains MP3 music files.

I also plugged in another empty USB flash drive to be the destination. >>

I had no problem selecting the Source USB flash drive, but for
    Destination, I became confused. I did NOT want an image of

I will look for a demonstration video for using this app as a "cloner". >>
    Thanks again, John

ticked, then click on the blue of the display; two options will appear >underneath; clone or image. Select clone and then choose your backup USB.

Ed

Ok Ed,

I will give that a try, but I have to wait until tomorrow.

I will let you know the results.

Thanks again, John

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ed Cryer@21:1/5 to jaugustine@verizon.net on Wed Sep 25 20:01:59 2024
    <SNIP>
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html >>>>

Ed

Hi Ed,

I downloaded that Macrium... app via the link above, and installed it >>> on my Windows 7 laptop.

I plugged in my source USB flash drive with 22 Albums/folders (NOT in >>> alphabetical order). Each Album contains MP3 music files.

However, trying to use Macrium was a bit overwhelming. There were >>> pre checked options for functions I am NOT familiar with.

Thanks again, John

ticked, then click on the blue of the display; two options will appear
    underneath; clone or image. Select clone and then choose your backup USB.

Ed

Ok Ed,

Thanks again, John

OK.
    I've been using it for so long and with such success and admiration,
    that I see it as open pathway.

In case of doubt, under the drive icon appears "Actions". Click on that.

Ed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul@21:1/5 to jaugustine@verizon.net on Wed Sep 25 19:34:59 2024
    On Wed, 9/25/2024 2:51 PM, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
    <SNIP>

Ed

Hi Ed,

I downloaded that Macrium... app via the link above, and installed it >>> on my Windows 7 laptop.

I plugged in my source USB flash drive with 22 Albums/folders (NOT in >>> alphabetical order). Each Album contains MP3 music files.

I also plugged in another empty USB flash drive to be the destination. >>>

Thanks again, John

Ed

Ok Ed,

Thanks again, John

This is an example of a slide deck for doing a basic Clone using
    one of the Backup or Clone buttons underneath a disk row. It's
    for Macrium Reflect. Select "Download Original" to get the
    file (454 KB?) in original format. Left clicking should expand
    the picture closer to a usable magnification.

https://s22.postimg.cc/487zw4g1d/Clone_Disk.gif # Cloning a disk using Macrium Reflect

It has a few extra steps in it, just as a preview of the
    other (unnecessary in this case) features. Like, resizing during
    cloning, isn't always necessary. And Macrium is not a "complete
    partition manager", so you will still occasionally be using
    a Partition Manager for disk rearrangement.

You can clone things, one partition at a time.

You can clone via "drag and drop" of partitions, from one
    row in the Macrium clone dialog to the destination row. This
    allows packing the partitions in random order, using the resize
    feature to shrink or expand a partition and so on. While this
    seems "close to being partition management", the method is
    not all pluses.

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hank Rogers@21:1/5 to jaugustine@verizon.net on Wed Sep 25 18:59:10 2024
    <SNIP>

Ed

Hi Ed,

However, trying to use Macrium was a bit overwhelming. There were >>> pre checked options for functions I am NOT familiar with.

Thanks again, John

Ed

Ok Ed,

Thanks again, John

When you get some time, jagustine, take 2 minutes and look at how to use
    it. This is a link to get you started, but it may not be up to date.

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW72/Macrium+Reflect+Quick+Start

Even their free version works really well even they don't promote it
    much anymore.

If you really don't have any time to learn how to use it, No software
    will ever work for you. It will always be a mess. I know how that can
    be. And I know how super busy you must be. It may not be the time for
    you to be working on computers.

Good luck

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jaugustine@verizon.net@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 26 11:46:45 2024
    <SNIP>
    ticked, then click on the blue of the display; two options will appear >underneath; clone or image. Select clone and then choose your backup USB.

Ed

Hi Ed,

FYI: I downloaded an Update for this app. I went through the
    Registration process for 30 days free trial..

UNFORTUNATELY, IT DID NOT WORK (above procedure).

The blue panels are for "Disk 1" C: (WinXP) and D: (Windows 7) dual boot laptop..

Below is "Disk 2" the USB flash drive (NOT a blue panel). I am UNABLE to check that, but I can easily check "Disk 1".

I would settle for an IMAGE of the USB flash drive as long as I can use
    that IMAGE to "write" to an empty USB flash drive with folders in the ORGINAL order, NOT in alphabetical order.

FRUSTRATION: If I could copy folders and files WITHOUT ALPHABETICAL ORDER, then I would not have to go this ORDEAL.

Somewhere there MUST be an Windows app that does what I want.

John

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From PeterC@21:1/5 to Ed Cryer on Thu Sep 26 18:00:25 2024
    On Wed, 25 Sep 2024 19:19:39 +0100, Ed Cryer wrote:

<SNIP>

ticked, then click on the blue of the display; two options will appear underneath; clone or image. Select clone and then choose your backup USB.

Ed

I cloned my OS from an HD with Macrium, copied it to an SSD then booted from the SSD (remove the HD first) an it ran perfectly.
    --
    Peter.
    The gods will stay away
    whilst religions hold sway

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ed Cryer@21:1/5 to jaugustine@verizon.net on Thu Sep 26 18:48:24 2024
    <SNIP>

Ed

Hi Ed,

FYI: I downloaded an Update for this app. I went through the Registration process for 30 days free trial..

The blue panels are for "Disk 1" C: (WinXP) and D: (Windows 7) dual boot laptop..

Below is "Disk 2" the USB flash drive (NOT a blue panel). I am UNABLE to check that, but I can easily check "Disk 1".

I would settle for an IMAGE of the USB flash drive as long as I can use that IMAGE to "write" to an empty USB flash drive with folders in the ORGINAL order, NOT in alphabetical order.

FRUSTRATION: If I could copy folders and files WITHOUT ALPHABETICAL ORDER,
    then I would not have to go this ORDEAL.

John

Well, I just did it successfully; under Windows 10.

I used two USB sticks; one Fat32 (input), one NTFS (output).
    I put some MP3 music albums on the input.
    Loaded M Reflect, chose the input, selectd Clone, chose the output, bingo!

What are you doing wrong? Or at least differently from me?

All I had to do thereafter was rename the output to differentiate it
    from the cloned input.

Ed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Fokke Nauta@21:1/5 to Ed Cryer on Thu Sep 26 20:42:29 2024
    On 24/09/2024 16:51, Ed Cryer wrote:
    Hi,

I use a stereo system that allows me to plug in a USB flash drive >> with
    .MP3 music files.

I often listen to music this way and prefer having my favorite
    Albums
    (folders) in an order (NOT alphabetical) I prefer.

I would like to make a Back Up of this flash drive encase it gets >> damaged.

Note:  I am using FAT32 flash drives for music.  FAT32 file system >> allows

Thank You in advance,  John

If you want a well-tested program that has a superb GUI, professional appearance and behaviour, and which you can use for far more than just backing up a music library, go for Macrium Reflect. The latest version
    is available here; https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html

Ed

Macrium Reflect Free is the perfect solution for this.

Fokke

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul@21:1/5 to jaugustine@verizon.net on Thu Sep 26 16:16:56 2024
    On Thu, 9/26/2024 11:46 AM, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
    <SNIP>

Ed

Hi Ed,

FYI: I downloaded an Update for this app. I went through the Registration process for 30 days free trial..

I would settle for an IMAGE of the USB flash drive as long as I can use that IMAGE to "write" to an empty USB flash drive with folders in the ORGINAL order, NOT in alphabetical order.

John

The one we are using, is the previous Free version. It's not a trial version and should "work forever".

https://download.macrium.com/reflect/v7/v7.3.6391/reflect_setup_free_x64.exe

Once you install that, you tick the box "For Personal Use" -- the free version was for home users (commercial users would have to pay at that time, as they do now).

You don't have to fill out the registration panel.

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Carlos E.R.@21:1/5 to wasbit on Sat Sep 28 14:06:55 2024
    On 2024-09-28 11:04, wasbit wrote:
    On 24/09/2024 15:32, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
    Hi,

I use a stereo system that allows me to plug in a USB flash drive >> with
    .MP3 music files.

I often listen to music this way and prefer having my favorite
    Albums
    (folders) in an order (NOT alphabetical) I prefer.

I would like to make a Back Up of this flash drive encase it gets >> damaged.

Note:  I am using FAT32 flash drives for music.  FAT32 file system >> allows

IIRC the ordering of copied audio files is set by the metadata & the way
    to overcome it was to number the files.
    It was a common problem for those who wanted to copy mp3s to a USB stick
    to play in the car.

Certainly.

Many players will read the file list and sort them according to their
    own criteria, usually alphabetically.

--
    Cheers, Carlos.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Carlos E.R.@21:1/5 to jaugustine@verizon.net on Sat Sep 28 15:46:04 2024
    On 2024-09-27 15:18, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
    On Thu, 26 Sep 2024 18:48:24 +0100, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

One FLAW in your USB to USB flash drives test. The destination
    USB flash drive is NTFS. That file system always puts "stuff" in Alphabetical
    order.

No, this is not true. No filesystem in existence keeps the files sorted, by any definition of sorted.

Why?

Because if you add later another file that would go in the middle, it would mean rewriting the directory structure, instead of just adding a file to the end of it.

Sorting is done by the copy program and by the display files program.

Testing.

Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. Todos los derechos reservados.

Prueba la nueva tecnología PowerShell multiplataforma https://aka.ms/pscore6

PS C:\Users\pepe> cd test
    PS C:\Users\pepe\test> echo "En un lugar de La Mancha" > 2.txt
    PS C:\Users\pepe\test> echo "En un lugar de La Mancha" > 1.txt
    PS C:\Users\pepe\test> echo "En un lugar de La Mancha" > 3.txt
    PS C:\Users\pepe\test> dir

Directorio: C:\Users\pepe\test

Mode LastWriteTime Length Name
    ---- ------------- ------ ----
    -a---- 28/09/2024 14:21 54 1.txt
    -a---- 28/09/2024 14:21 54 2.txt
    -a---- 28/09/2024 14:21 54 3.txt

PS C:\Users\pepe\test>

PS C:\Users\pepe\test> dir -?

NOMBRE
    Get-ChildItem

SINOPSIS
    Gets the items and child items in one or more specified locations.

SINTAXIS
    Get-ChildItem [[-Filter] <System.String>] [-Attributes {Archive | Compressed | Device | Directory | Encrypted |
    Hidden | IntegrityStream | Normal | NoScrubData | NotContentIndexed | Offline | ReadOnly | ReparsePoint |
    SparseFile | System | Temporary}] [-CodeSigningCert] [-Depth <System.UInt32>] [-Directory] [-DnsName
    <Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.DnsNameRepresentation>] [-DocumentEncryptionCert] [-Eku <System.String>] [-Exclude
    <System.String[]>] [-ExpiringInDays <System.Int32>] [-File] [-FollowSymlink] [-Force] [-Hidden] [-Include
    <System.String[]>] -LiteralPath <System.String[]> [-Name] [-ReadOnly] [-Recurse] [-SSLServerAuthentication]
    [-System] [-UseTransaction] [<CommonParameters>]

Get-ChildItem [[-Path] <System.String[]>] [[-Filter] <System.String>] [-Attributes {Archive | Compressed | Device
    | Directory | Encrypted | Hidden | IntegrityStream | Normal | NoScrubData | NotContentIndexed | Offline | ReadOnly
    | ReparsePoint | SparseFile | System | Temporary}] [-CodeSigningCert] [-Depth <System.UInt32>] [-Directory]
    [-DnsName <Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.DnsNameRepresentation>] [-DocumentEncryptionCert] [-Eku <System.String>]
    [-Exclude <System.String[]>] [-ExpiringInDays <System.Int32>] [-File] [-FollowSymlink] [-Force] [-Hidden]
    [-Include <System.String[]>] [-Name] [-ReadOnly] [-Recurse] [-SSLServerAuthentication] [-System] [-UseTransaction]
    [<CommonParameters>]

DESCRIPCIÓN
    The `Get-ChildItem` cmdlet gets the items in one or more specified locations. If the item is a container, it gets
    the items inside the container, known as child items. You can use the Recurse parameter to get items in all child
    containers and use the Depth parameter to limit the number of levels to recurse.

`Get-ChildItem` doesn't display empty directories. When a `Get-ChildItem` command includes the Depth or Recurse
    parameters, empty directories aren't included in the output.

Locations are exposed to `Get-ChildItem` by PowerShell providers. A location can be a file system directory,
    registry hive, or a certificate store. Some parameters are only available for a specific provider. For more
    information, see about_Providers (../Microsoft.PowerShell.Core/About/about_Providers.md).

VÍNCULOS RELACIONADOS
    Online Version: https://learn.microsoft.com/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.management/get-childitem?view=po
    wershell-5.1&WT.mc_id=ps-gethelp
    about_Certificate_Provider
    about_Providers
    about_Quoting_Rules
    about_Registry_Provider
    ForEach-Object
    Get-Alias
    Get-Item
    Get-Location
    Get-Process
    Get-PSProvider
    Split-Path

NOTAS
    Para ver los ejemplos, escriba: "get-help Get-ChildItem -examples".
    Para obtener más información, escriba: "get-help Get-ChildItem -detailed".
    Para obtener información técnica, escriba: "get-help Get-ChildItem -full".
    Para obtener ayuda disponible en línea, escriba: "get-help Get-ChildItem -online"

PS C:\Users\pepe\test>

There are no sorting options at all in dir in PowerShell.

Trying in a dos shell instead:

C:\Users\pepe\test>dir /?
    Muestra la lista de subdirectorios y archivos de un directorio.

DIR [drive:][path][filename] [/A[[:]attributes]] [/B] [/C] [/D] [/L] [/N]
    [/O[[:]sortorder]] [/P] [/Q] [/R] [/S] [/T[[:]timefield]] [/W] [/X] [/4]

[drive:][path][filename]
    Especifica la unidad, el directorio o los archivos que se mostrarán.

/A Muestra los archivos con los atributos especificados.
    Atributos D Directorios R Archivos de solo lectura
    H Archivos ocultos A Archivos listos para el archivado
    S Archivos de sistema I Archivos indizados que no son de contenido
    L Puntos de reanálisis O Archivos sin conexión
    - Prefijo de exclusión
    /B Usa el formato simple (sin encabezados ni resúmenes).
    /C Muestra el separador de miles en los tamaños de los archivos. Es la opción
    predeterminada. Usa /-C para deshabilitar la aparición del separador.
    /D Similar al listado ancho, pero los archivos aparecen en una lista ordenada por columnas.
    /L Usa letras minúsculas.
    /N Nuevo formato de lista larga donde los nombre de archivo aparecen en el lado derecho.
    /O Muestra los archivos según el orden indicado.
    sortorder N Por nombre (orden alfabético) S Por tamaño (orden creciente)
    E Por extensión (orden alfabético) D Por fecha y hora (el más antiguo primero)
    G Agrupa primero los directorios - Prefijo para invertir el orden
    /P Hace una pausa después de cada pantalla completa de información.
    /Q Muestra el propietario del archivo.
    /R Muestra las secuencias alternativas de datos del archivo.
    /S Muestra los archivos del directorio especificado y todos sus subdirectorios.
    /T Controla el campo de hora que se mostrará o usará para realizar la ordenación.
    timefield C Creación
    A Último acceso
    W Última modificación
    /W Usa el formato de listado ancho.
    /X Muestra los nombres cortos generados para los nombres
    de archivo sin formato 8dot3. El formato es el mismo que para /N, con el nombre corto especificado
    antes del nombre largo. Si no existe ningún nombre corto, se muestran
    espacios en blanco en su lugar.
    /4 Muestra los años con 4 dígitos.

Los modificadores se pueden preestablecer en la variable de entorno DIRCMD. Para invalidar los modificadores prestablecidos, se debe agregar un prefijo a cada modificador con - (guión), por ejemplo: /-W.

C:\Users\pepe\test>

There is no "unsorted" option.

C:\Users\pepe\test>dir /OD
    El volumen de la unidad C no tiene etiqueta.
    El número de serie del volumen es: BEEF-751B

Directorio de C:\Users\pepe\test

28/09/2024 14:21 54 2.txt
    28/09/2024 14:21 54 1.txt
    28/09/2024 14:21 <DIR> ..
    28/09/2024 14:21 54 3.txt
    28/09/2024 14:21 <DIR> .
    3 archivos 162 bytes
    2 dirs 15.787.061.248 bytes libres

C:\Users\pepe\test>dir /u
    El modificador no es válido: "u".

C:\Users\pepe\test>ver

Microsoft Windows [Versión 10.0.19045.4355]

There is no unsorted mode in this version of dir, so the best I can do is sort by creation date.

Disk is NTFS.

I tried with an alternative file browser (Double Commander). No unsorted option.

However, if you can accept the "by date" order as unsorted (it is so in my example), then a program like Double Commander can copy keeping that order.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-unsorted/e107a9ba-e75c-4ca5-a240-df89f836bceb

--
    Cheers, Carlos.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From wasbit@21:1/5 to jaugustine@verizon.net on Fri Sep 27 09:30:13 2024
    On 25/09/2024 16:44, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
    <SNIP>
    If you want a well-tested program that has a superb GUI, professional
    appearance and behaviour, and which you can use for far more than just
    is available here;
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html >>

Ed

Hi Ed,

on my Windows 7 laptop.

You might find Disk Genius easier to understand & use
    - https://www.diskgenius.com/free.php

--
    Regards
    wasbit

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jaugustine@verizon.net@21:1/5 to Ed Cryer on Fri Sep 27 09:18:53 2024

<SNIP>
    underneath; clone or image. Select clone and then choose your backup USB. >>>
    Ed

Hi Ed,

The blue panels are for "Disk 1" C: (WinXP) and D: (Windows 7) dual boot
    laptop..

Below is "Disk 2" the USB flash drive (NOT a blue panel). I am UNABLE to
    check that, but I can easily check "Disk 1".

I would settle for an IMAGE of the USB flash drive as long as I can use >> that IMAGE to "write" to an empty USB flash drive with folders in the ORGINAL
    order, NOT in alphabetical order.

John

from the cloned input.

Ed

Hi Ed,

I do have a Win10 laptop, but I don't think that will make a difference because I had NO issues installing this in Windows 7

USB flash drive is NTFS. That file system always puts "stuff" in Alphabetical order. Try a FAT32 USB flash drive for destination. Assuming the source USB has folders that are NOT in alphabetical order (VERY IMPORTANT), see if
    the destination FAT32 flash drive has folders in the same order.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

BTW: I also tried RoboCopy (WIN7 Command line app) that has a Mirror option, but UNFORTUNATELY, the destination must be a folder. The destination "G:\" (root) is NOT acceptable.

John

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jaugustine@verizon.net@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 27 12:12:20 2024
    <SNIP>

from the cloned input.

Ed

Hi Ed,

I do have a Win10 laptop, but I don't think that will make a difference
    because I had NO issues installing this in Windows 7

USB flash drive is NTFS. That file system always puts "stuff" in Alphabetical >order. Try a FAT32 USB flash drive for destination. Assuming the source USB >has folders that are NOT in alphabetical order (VERY IMPORTANT), see if

PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

BTW: I also tried RoboCopy (WIN7 Command line app) that has a Mirror
    option, but UNFORTUNATELY, the destination must be a folder. The destination >"G:\" (root) is NOT acceptable.

John

UPDATE:

I found the SOLUTION, something so SIMPLE, I overlooked.

After I post this, I will make a NEW post, "Cloner Solution"

John

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ed Cryer@21:1/5 to jaugustine@verizon.net on Fri Sep 27 17:33:04 2024

<SNIP>
    ticked, then click on the blue of the display; two options will appear >>>> underneath; clone or image. Select clone and then choose your backup USB. >>>>
    Ed

Hi Ed,

laptop..

that IMAGE to "write" to an empty USB flash drive with folders in the ORGINAL

John

Loaded M Reflect, chose the input, selectd Clone, chose the output, bingo! >>

from the cloned input.

Ed

Hi Ed,

I do have a Win10 laptop, but I don't think that will make a difference because I had NO issues installing this in Windows 7

order. Try a FAT32 USB flash drive for destination. Assuming the source USB has folders that are NOT in alphabetical order (VERY IMPORTANT), see if

PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

BTW: I also tried RoboCopy (WIN7 Command line app) that has a Mirror option, but UNFORTUNATELY, the destination must be a folder. The destination
    "G:\" (root) is NOT acceptable.

John

Are you telling us that Macrium cloning re-orders files?

You've thrown so many factors into this query of yours; different OSs, different utilities, different whatever, that I don't know where to
    start helping you. And I suspect others here will be in the same
    quandary. In fact, some think you're playing games with us; trolling.

If you're really onto something that's causing you trouble, then we'd
    like to help. But you will have to take us in with a simple example;
    something you've done under Win10, one utility etc. that we can
    duplicate locally and examine.
    You'll have to step aside from your broadsiding tactics (like Horatio
    Nelson's fleet at Trafalgar). (:-

Ed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul@21:1/5 to jaugustine@verizon.net on Fri Sep 27 20:24:57 2024
    On Fri, 9/27/2024 9:18 AM, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:

<SNIP>
    ticked, then click on the blue of the display; two options will appear >>>> underneath; clone or image. Select clone and then choose your backup USB. >>>>
    Ed

Hi Ed,

laptop..

I would settle for an IMAGE of the USB flash drive as long as I can use >>> that IMAGE to "write" to an empty USB flash drive with folders in the ORGINAL

John

Loaded M Reflect, chose the input, selectd Clone, chose the output, bingo! >>

from the cloned input.

Ed

Hi Ed,

order. Try a FAT32 USB flash drive for destination. Assuming the source USB has folders that are NOT in alphabetical order (VERY IMPORTANT), see if

PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

BTW: I also tried RoboCopy (WIN7 Command line app) that has a Mirror option, but UNFORTUNATELY, the destination must be a folder. The destination

This is correct. Robocopy is for folders.
    But this is a set of examples from my notes files. What do you see there ?

robocopy Y:\ F:\ /mir /COPYALL /dcopy:t /XJ /r:3 /w:2 /zb /np /tee /v /log:robocopy_y_to_f.log <=== partition copy

robocopy S:\BUNDLE\ E:\BUNDLE /mir /zb /tee /v /log:robocopy_s_to_e.log robocopy E:\BUNDLE\ S:\BUNDLE /mir /zb /np /tee /v /log:robocopy_e_to_s.log

It can, and does do, whole partitions.

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zaidy036@21:1/5 to Paul on Fri Sep 27 22:52:42 2024
    On 9/27/2024 8:24 PM, Paul wrote:
    On Fri, 9/27/2024 9:18 AM, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
    On Thu, 26 Sep 2024 18:48:24 +0100, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote: >>
    <SNIP>
    Plug in your USB drive. Load Macrium Reflect. Ensure just your USB is >>>>> ticked, then click on the blue of the display; two options will appear >>>>> underneath; clone or image. Select clone and then choose your backup USB. >>>>>
    Ed

Hi Ed,

laptop..

that IMAGE to "write" to an empty USB flash drive with folders in the ORGINAL

John

Loaded M Reflect, chose the input, selectd Clone, chose the output, bingo! >>>

from the cloned input.

Ed

Hi Ed,

I do have a Win10 laptop, but I don't think that will make a difference >> because I had NO issues installing this in Windows 7

order. Try a FAT32 USB flash drive for destination. Assuming the source USB
    has folders that are NOT in alphabetical order (VERY IMPORTANT), see if

PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

BTW: I also tried RoboCopy (WIN7 Command line app) that has a Mirror >> option, but UNFORTUNATELY, the destination must be a folder. The destination

This is correct. Robocopy is for folders.
    But this is a set of examples from my notes files. What do you see there ?

robocopy Y:\ F:\ /mir /COPYALL /dcopy:t /XJ /r:3 /w:2 /zb /np /tee /v /log:robocopy_y_to_f.log <=== partition copy

robocopy S:\BUNDLE\ E:\BUNDLE /mir /zb /tee /v /log:robocopy_s_to_e.log robocopy E:\BUNDLE\ S:\BUNDLE /mir /zb /np /tee /v /log:robocopy_e_to_s.log

It can, and does do, whole partitions.

Paul

I run RoboCopy in a sub routine on files and folders:

Before the sub:
    SET "_SRC=<full path>\"
    SET "_DST=<full path>\"
    SET "_File=<file name with extension>" or Dummy"

In sub:
    SET "_ACT=%_File% /NDL /NFL /NP /MT:8 /R:0 /W:0"
    IF "%_File%"=="Dummy" SET "_ACT=/NDL /NFL /E /PURGE /NP /MT:8 /R:0 /W:0"

START "<title or blank>" /WAIT Robocopy %_SRC% %_DST% %_ACT% /LOG:F:\xxx.Log

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From wasbit@21:1/5 to jaugustine@verizon.net on Sat Sep 28 10:04:48 2024
    On 24/09/2024 15:32, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
    Hi,

IIRC the ordering of copied audio files is set by the metadata & the way
    to overcome it was to number the files.
    It was a common problem for those who wanted to copy mp3s to a USB stick
    to play in the car.

--
    Regards
    wasbit

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05