• No HD signal after temporarily disconnecting the monitor

From Piotrne@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 2 19:03:05 2024
    I have a rather strange problem with a monitor connected via HDMI. The problem appeared a few
    months ago. Previously it did not occur in the same configuration. I have a computer with Windows
    10 and an NVidia Quadro K620 card connected to the monitor via an HDMI switch, to which, in
    addition to the computer, a terrestrial TV tuner and another computer are connected. The switch has
    three inputs and one HDMI output (which is goes directly to the monitor). The input on which there
    is a signal is automatically selected as active. If there are more active signals, you can select
    the input with the button.

It worked very well for several years. And suddenly it turned out that if I turn on the TV tuner
    for a moment while using Windows and switch the image to this tuner, and after this switch back to
    the computer, I have no image from the computer. I can switch back to the tuner and it works, but
    for the computer the monitor says: "No signal".

I thought the switch was broken and disconnected everything and connected the PC directly to the
    monitor - no signal. I suspected that the entire computer is broken. I reset it and a welcome image
    appeared with several BIOS messages and everything seemed to be working fine. But after a while,
    when Windows started loading, the image went out again. No signal. I tried many times (this time
    without any switches), with the same result. I connected remotely to the computer - the system
    worked normally, I did not find any error messages. Finally, I decided to run Ubuntu Linux (from an
    external flash drive). It started - and the image appeared on the monitor. I returned to Windows -
    the image was suddenly on as if nothing had happened.

Unfortunately, this turned out to be a recurring problem. Since then, every momentary switch of the
    HDMI input, or even momentary disconnection of the cable coming from the computer and reconnection,
    causes the HD image from Windows to disappear. But this only applies to HD image; text mode works
    (BIOS inital messages) and low-resolution graphics too (spinning dots at the beginning of Windows
    loading). The only thing that helps is starting and closing Ubuntu. I have already bought another
    HDMI switch, unfortunately the effect is the same. To avoid problems with the image, before
    switching the HDMI signal or disconnecting the cable from the computer I have to completely turn
    the computer off and turn on only after completely reconnecting the monitor. Otherwise the image
    disappears and I have to start Ubuntu and then Windows every time.

This is quite inconvenient, because I cannot switch to another computer or to the TV even for a
    moment. It looks more like a Windows problem that switches the card to some strange mode and then
    can't initialize the card properly. But I'm not sure and I don't know what to do about it. Maybe
    someone knows?

P.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Ed Cryer@21:1/5 to Piotrne on Mon Sep 2 18:59:18 2024
    Piotrne wrote:
    I have a rather strange problem with a monitor connected via HDMI. The problem appeared a few months ago. Previously it did not occur in the
    same configuration. I have a computer with Windows 10 and an NVidia
    Quadro K620 card connected to the monitor via an HDMI switch, to which,
    in addition to the computer, a terrestrial TV tuner and another computer
    are connected. The switch has three inputs and one HDMI output (which is
    goes directly to the monitor). The input on which there is a signal is automatically selected as active. If there are more active signals, you
    can select the input with the button.

It worked very well for several years. And suddenly it turned out that
    if I turn on the TV tuner for a moment while using Windows and switch
    the image to this tuner, and after this switch back to the computer, I
    have no image from the computer. I can switch back to the tuner and it
    works, but for the computer the monitor says: "No signal".

I thought the switch was broken and disconnected everything and
    connected the PC directly to the monitor - no signal. I suspected that
    the entire computer is broken. I reset it and a welcome image appeared
    with several BIOS messages and everything seemed to be working fine. But after a while, when Windows started loading, the image went out again.
    No signal. I tried many times (this time without any switches), with the
    same result. I connected remotely to the computer - the system worked normally, I did not find any error messages. Finally, I decided to run
    Ubuntu Linux (from an external flash drive). It started - and the image appeared on the monitor. I returned to Windows - the image was suddenly
    on as if nothing had happened.

Unfortunately, this turned out to be a recurring problem. Since then,
    every momentary switch of the HDMI input, or even momentary
    disconnection of the cable coming from the computer and reconnection,
    causes the HD image from Windows to disappear. But this only applies to
    HD image; text mode works (BIOS inital messages) and low-resolution
    graphics too (spinning dots at the beginning of Windows loading). The
    only thing that helps is starting and closing Ubuntu. I have already
    bought another HDMI switch, unfortunately the effect is the same. To
    avoid problems with the image, before switching the HDMI signal or disconnecting the cable from the computer I have to completely turn the computer off and turn on only after completely reconnecting the monitor. Otherwise the image disappears and I have to start Ubuntu and then
    Windows every time.

This is quite inconvenient, because I cannot switch to another computer
    or to the TV even for a moment. It looks more like a Windows problem
    that switches the card to some strange mode and then can't initialize
    the card properly. But I'm not sure and I don't know what to do about
    it. Maybe someone knows?

P.

Congratulations on all the effort you've put into both surviving the
    problem and then analysing it.
    When things like this suddenly occur, you probably know as well as I do
    that somewhere in the chain there's been a software update (or downdate
    (:- ). MS update Windows, all third party people have to update theirs:
    some don't, some are dilatory, some have retired.

Try manual updates of all drivers in the loop; manufacturers' websites.

Oh, and a suggestion based on problems I've defeated; plug and unplug
    all the HDMI connectors used.

Ed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mick@21:1/5 to Piotrne on Mon Sep 2 20:28:49 2024
    On 02/09/2024 18:03:05, Piotrne wrote:
    I have a rather strange problem with a monitor connected via HDMI. The problem appeared a few months ago. Previously it did not occur in the same configuration. I have a computer with Windows 10 and an NVidia Quadro K620 card connected to the monitor via an HDMI switch, to which, in addition to the computer, a terrestrial TV tuner and another computer are connected. The switch has three inputs and one HDMI output (which is goes directly to the monitor). The input on which there is a signal is automatically selected as active. If there are more active signals, you can select the input with the button.

It worked very well for several years. And suddenly it turned out that if I turn on the TV tuner for a moment while using Windows and switch the image to this tuner, and after this switch back to the computer, I have no image from the computer. I can switch back to the tuner and it works, but for the computer the monitor says: "No signal".

I thought the switch was broken and disconnected everything and connected the PC directly to the monitor - no signal. I suspected that the entire computer is broken. I reset it and a welcome image appeared with several BIOS messages and everything seemed to be working fine. But after a while, when Windows started loading, the image went out again. No signal. I tried many times (this time without any switches), with the same result. I connected remotely to the computer - the system worked normally, I did not find any error messages. Finally, I decided to run Ubuntu Linux (from an external flash drive). It started - and the image appeared on the monitor. I returned to Windows - the image was suddenly on as if nothing had happened.

Unfortunately, this turned out to be a recurring problem. Since then, every momentary switch of the HDMI input, or even momentary disconnection of the cable coming from the computer and reconnection, causes the HD image from Windows to disappear. But this only applies to HD image; text mode works (BIOS inital messages) and low-resolution graphics too (spinning dots at the beginning of Windows loading). The only thing that helps is starting and closing Ubuntu. I have already bought another HDMI switch, unfortunately the effect is the same. To avoid problems with the image, before switching the HDMI signal or disconnecting the cable from the computer I have to completely turn the computer off and turn on only after completely reconnecting the monitor. Otherwise the image disappears and I have to start Ubuntu and then Windows every time.

This is quite inconvenient, because I cannot switch to another computer or to the TV even for a moment. It looks more like a Windows problem that switches the card to some strange mode and then can't initialize the card properly. But I'm not sure and I don't know what to do about it. Maybe someone knows?

P.

Very similar to the problem I had.
    My monitor appears to look for an analogue signal before a digital
    signal, if I switch on the tv tuner before the computer it will not
    then connect to the computer later. My solution was to make sure the
    tv tuner is switched off, switch off the monitor and then switch on
    again which should then pick up the digital signal as there is no
    analogue signal present.

--
    mick

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Piotrne@21:1/5 to Ed Cryer on Tue Sep 3 00:08:40 2024
    Ed Cryer wrote:

Try manual updates of all drivers in the loop; manufacturers' websites.

I noticed the problem on April 17. Six days earlier, a Windows "cumulative update" and a graphics
    card driver were installed. It is quite possible that it got damaged then (I rarely use the TV
    tuner, so I could not have noticed it for a week). I will try to do something with these drivers.
    I thought that maybe others had this problem, but did not find anything about it.

Oh, and a suggestion based on problems I've defeated; plug and unplug all the HDMI connectors used.

I did that of course. But it's clearly not a cable or connectors issue. Running Ubuntu solves
    the missing image problem immediately without touching any cable.

P.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Piotrne@21:1/5 to mick on Tue Sep 3 00:10:14 2024
    mick wrote:

My monitor appears to look for an analogue signal before a digital signal, if I switch on the tv
    tuner before the computer it will not then connect to the computer later.

My monitor does the same, but this is not the case. The image from the HDMI input
    is displayed correctly from the moment the computer is turned on until the Windows
    login screen should appear - then the monitor reports "no signal" and manually switching the inputs between analog and HDMI does not help.

P.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul@21:1/5 to Piotrne on Mon Sep 2 23:36:35 2024
    On Mon, 9/2/2024 1:03 PM, Piotrne wrote:
    I have a rather strange problem with a monitor connected via HDMI. The problem appeared a few months ago. Previously it did not occur in the same configuration. I have a computer with Windows 10 and an NVidia Quadro K620 card connected to the monitor
    via an HDMI switch, to which, in addition to the computer, a terrestrial TV tuner and another computer are connected. The switch has three inputs and one HDMI output (which is goes directly to the monitor). The input on which there is a signal is
    automatically selected as active. If there are more active signals, you can select the input with the button.

It worked very well for several years. And suddenly it turned out that if I turn on the TV tuner for a moment while using Windows and switch the image to this tuner, and after this switch back to the computer, I have no image from the computer. I can
    switch back to the tuner and it works, but for the computer the monitor says: "No signal".

I thought the switch was broken and disconnected everything and connected the PC directly to the monitor - no signal. I suspected that the entire computer is broken. I reset it and a welcome image appeared with several BIOS messages and everything
    seemed to be working fine. But after a while, when Windows started loading, the image went out again. No signal. I tried many times (this time without any switches), with the same result. I connected remotely to the computer - the system worked normally,
    I did not find any error messages. Finally, I decided to run Ubuntu Linux (from an external flash drive). It started - and the image appeared on the monitor. I returned to Windows - the image was suddenly on as if nothing had happened.

Unfortunately, this turned out to be a recurring problem. Since then, every momentary switch of the HDMI input, or even momentary disconnection of the cable coming from the computer and reconnection, causes the HD image from Windows to disappear. But
    this only applies to HD image; text mode works (BIOS inital messages) and low-resolution graphics too (spinning dots at the beginning of Windows loading). The only thing that helps is starting and closing Ubuntu. I have already bought another HDMI switch,
    unfortunately the effect is the same. To avoid problems with the image, before switching the HDMI signal or disconnecting the cable from the computer I have to completely turn the computer off and turn on only after completely reconnecting the monitor.
    Otherwise the image disappears and I have to start Ubuntu and then Windows every time.

This is quite inconvenient, because I cannot switch to another computer or to the TV even for a moment. It looks more like a Windows problem that switches the card to some strange mode and then can't initialize the card properly. But I'm not sure and I
    don't know what to do about it. Maybe someone knows?

P.

I would check two things.

1) devmgmt.msc (Device Manager)

I would check the video driver, to see if you are using
    Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver, or whether the
    NVidia driver is present.

2) While remoted into Windows 10 (because you cannot see the screen),
    use Moninfo from Entechtaiwan, and use the "Real Time" function
    to read the EDID, right after the screen goes blank. This would
    tell you whether the EDID was being removed, while in service.

https://entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

( https://entechtaiwan.com/files/mi_setup.exe )

This is the site that made PowerStrip, but Powerstrip is discontinued,
    but the Moninfo gives a little information (especially about EDID table).

Strictly speaking, if the EDID was not sent to the Windows computer,
    it still would have worked. But, the Windows computer would have sent
    a 1024x768 image. I do not know if that works on your setup or not.

With a real NVidia driver, that driver is not allowed to send anything
    but 1024x768 when the EDID is missing. When the EDID is present, more resolution options will be available.

What the computer relies upon, is impedance detection. It detects
    a 100 ohm differential load on R pair, G pair, B pair. That is how the
    computer knows a monitor is present. Your display should always
    terminate those signals to the computer. As a result, the computer
    should always put a signal on the cable. The EDID table being missing,
    is an inconvenience, as with the EDID table present and offered from
    monitor to computer, the computer can pick the correct (native) resolution.

There is no mechanism, for the computer to stop sending a signal,
    except the loss of termination on R pair, G pair, B pair. The idea of
    impedance (termination) sensing, is to ensure no signal is radiating
    from un-terminated wire or pins.

Pin 1 TMDS data2+ \
    Pin 2 >-- 100 ohm termination at lower speeds, the three signals are RGB
    Pin 3 TMDS data2− /
    Pin 4 TMDS data1+ \
    Pin 5 >-- 100 ohm termination
    Pin 6 TMDS data1− /
    Pin 7 TMDS data0+ \
    Pin 8 >-- 100 ohm termination
    Pin 9 TMDS data0− /
    Pin 10 TMDS clock+ \
    Pin 11 >-- 100 ohm termination <=== on higher speed HDMI, this is a data signal
    Pin 12 TMDS clock− /
    Pin 13 Consumer Electronics Control (CEC)
    Pin 14 Utility/HEAC+
    Pin 15 SCL (I2C serial clock for DDC) \____ EDID table interface
    Pin 16 SDA (I2C serial data for DDC) /
    Pin 17 Ground
    Pin 18 +5V (up to 50 mA)
    Pin 19 Hot plug detect, HEAC−

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Newyana2@21:1/5 to Piotrne on Tue Sep 3 08:33:40 2024
    On 9/2/2024 1:03 PM, Piotrne wrote:

This is quite inconvenient, because I cannot switch to another computer
    or to the TV even for a moment. It looks more like a Windows problem
    that switches the card to some strange mode and then can't initialize
    the card properly. But I'm not sure and I don't know what to do about
    it. Maybe someone knows?

I can't explain it, but I have something similar. I built a new
    computer in January and installed Win10. I'm using the onboard
    Intel graphics. First via HDMI and now via DisplayPort. In both
    cases, if I turn on the computer before turning on the monitor,
    the computer doesn't see it. Like you, I have to reboot. As long
    as I turn on the monitor first it's fine. Sleep mode is also no
    problem.

The only thing I can guess is that the newer BIOS is designed
    differently than past BIOSes and can't switch display after a
    certain point. But I haven't found an explanation. It has nothing
    to do with the OS and I've found no relevant setting in BIOS setup.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Piotrne@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 17 22:05:01 2024
    I managed to solve the problem, at least temporarily. I downgraded the NVidia driver
    from version 555.99 (from June 4, 2024) to version 552.86 (from July 29, 2024). The version 555.99 is not WHQL certified, the 552.86 is - and works fine. I can switch
    now (again) between HDMI inputs and after returning to Windows I still have the image.

I really don't know why I had the version 555.99 - I didn't install it manually.
    And the problems started in April, probably with another non-working driver version.
    Apparently Windows Update replaces them without asking...

P.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GlowingBlueMist@21:1/5 to Piotrne on Tue Sep 17 21:59:51 2024
    On 9/17/2024 3:05 PM, Piotrne wrote:
    I managed to solve the problem, at least temporarily. I downgraded the
    NVidia driver
    from version 555.99 (from June 4, 2024) to version 552.86 (from July 29, 2024).
    The version 555.99 is not WHQL certified, the 552.86 is - and works
    fine. I can switch
    now (again) between HDMI inputs and after returning to Windows I still
    have the image.

I really don't know why I had the version 555.99 - I didn't install it manually.
    And the problems started in April, probably with another non-working
    driver version.
    Apparently Windows Update replaces them without asking...

P.
    There are ways of stopping Microsoft from messing with a specific device driver. Here is one method but I believe there are others.

A quick Google search for "How do I stop Windows 10 from updating video drivers?", minus the quotes should give you more information.

Right-click the Start button and select Control Panel.
    Make your way to System and Security.
    Click System.
    Click Advanced system settings from the left sidebar.
    Select the Hardware tab.
    Press the Device Installation Settings button.
    Choose No, and then press the Save Changes button.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05