• Win 10 repair

From philo@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 10 22:20:44 2024
    Win10 is usually pretty good at recovering from bad shut downs but a
    friend had to bring his computer over yesterday. He was using it when he
    popped a breaker.

It crashed while trying to boot.
    I tried again and got the recovery dialog so opened a terminal and had forgotten it was impossible to opt for chkdsk /f and let it run on the
    next boot. It was disallowed.

Why the heck do that?

I've fixed machines a few times by booting with a cd that had a mini
    Win7 on it that would allow chkdsk /f on the drive.

This time it corrected errors but the machine still would not boot...so
    I took the restore-over option.

That took eight hours or more but it did work.

Just had to copy over the saved FF profile.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Paul@21:1/5 to philo on Thu Jul 11 08:51:46 2024
    On 7/10/2024 11:20 PM, philo wrote:
    Win10  is usually pretty good at recovering from bad shut downs but a friend had to bring his computer over yesterday. He was using it when he popped a breaker.

I tried again and got the recovery dialog so opened a terminal and had forgotten it was impossible to opt for chkdsk /f and let it run on the next boot. It was disallowed.

Why the heck do that?

I've fixed machines a few times by booting with a cd that had a mini Win7 on it that would allow chkdsk /f on the drive.

This time it corrected errors but the machine still would not boot...so I took the restore-over option.

If you boot a Win10 installer DVD, select Troubleshooting, then Command Prompt, you can do "chkdsk /f C: " from there, and it should execute immediately in front of your eyes. It does not need to wait until "boot time" in that case.

Similarly, anything with a WinPE on it could have a shell. On the Macrium Rescue CD,
    they have a Command Prompt window, and you can do the chkdsk /f C: there.

It is hard to say why it would not boot. You would think the EFI System Partition (ESP)
    would be at rest, at the time of breaker trip, and nothing would be written in there
    as the heads should not be in that area. You would think the NTFS C: with playback
    journal (some level of protection) would be involved.

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From philo@21:1/5 to Paul on Thu Jul 11 08:18:27 2024
    On 7/11/24 07:51, Paul wrote:
    On 7/10/2024 11:20 PM, philo wrote:
    Win10  is usually pretty good at recovering from bad shut downs but a friend had to bring his computer over yesterday. He was using it when he popped a breaker.

I tried again and got the recovery dialog so opened a terminal and had forgotten it was impossible to opt for chkdsk /f and let it run on the next boot. It was disallowed.

Why the heck do that?

I've fixed machines a few times by booting with a cd that had a mini Win7 on it that would allow chkdsk /f on the drive.

This time it corrected errors but the machine still would not boot...so I took the restore-over option.

If you boot a Win10 installer DVD, select Troubleshooting, then Command Prompt,
    you can do "chkdsk /f C: " from there, and it should execute immediately in front of your eyes. It does not need to wait until "boot time" in that case.

Similarly, anything with a WinPE on it could have a shell. On the Macrium Rescue CD,
    they have a Command Prompt window, and you can do the chkdsk /f C: there.

It is hard to say why it would not boot. You would think the EFI System Partition (ESP)
    would be at rest, at the time of breaker trip, and nothing would be written in there
    as the heads should not be in that area. You would think the NTFS C: with playback
    journal (some level of protection) would be involved.

Paul

No problem running chkdsk /f from Win PE...just thought it odd that
    Win10 will not allow one to run it from their repair options.
    I doubt if too many home users would have a WinPE cd.

Anyway, the machine was an upgrade from Win7 so it's legacy bios.

Since it's fixed now, I don't think I'll worry about it.

Unfortunately it's 32 bit so no sense in adding RAM

What I should have really done is back up the data and done a fresh
    install of Win10 64 bit.

OTOH: Darn thing only had 2 gigs of RAM, so I added two more.

With the 3.25 gigs the OS can use, the owner will see an improvement at
    least.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05