• OT; Reflections on "computer"

From Ed Cryer@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 11 10:41:10 2024
    I think we've got way past "computers". We've got into "devices".

Smart phones. I phone for a taxi, and get a text saying "taxi dispatched
    to ..."; then as it arrives I get a call ringing.
    Or I catch a bus; but before going to the bus stop I've checked in with
    an app to see if one is on the way. At the bus stop I can also see where they're at on the route.

Tablets. I have lots of ebooks. Preferable because you can enlarge the
    pages, check words, translate, give me previous mentions of a certain
    name, save the page without a card. In addition to email and normal
    browsing.

A plethora of devices. Webcams, doorcams, watches, etc.

The word "computer" has become as generic as "nail". Some teenager might
    well ask me "Do you mean laptop?"
    I wonder who invented the wheel? Some unrecorded genius in our
    pre-history. But quite soon it must have become mundane under "cart" and "carriage". People stopped gazing in wonder at the wheels and shifted
    their attention to the devices wheeled.

Ed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Big Al@21:1/5 to Ed Cryer on Tue Jun 11 07:57:20 2024
    On 6/11/24 05:41 AM, Ed Cryer wrote:

Smart phones. I phone for a taxi, and get a text saying "taxi dispatched to ..."; then as it arrives
    I get a call ringing.
    Or I catch a bus; but before going to the bus stop I've checked in with an app to see if one is on
    the way. At the bus stop I can also see where they're at on the route.

Tablets. I have lots of ebooks. Preferable because you can enlarge the pages, check words,
    translate, give me previous mentions of a certain name, save the page without a card. In addition to
    email and normal browsing.

The word "computer" has become as generic as "nail". Some teenager might well ask me "Do you mean
    laptop?"
    I wonder who invented the wheel? Some unrecorded genius in our pre-history. But quite soon it must
    have become mundane under "cart" and "carriage". People stopped gazing in wonder at the wheels and
    shifted their attention to the devices wheeled.

Ed
    We shouldn't run this topic, we all know the 'Kleenex' and 'Xerox' story, however those we do know
    the origins. It rubs me, a bit, as a decade long hardware person, to hear 'I have a computer in my
    toaster too' type of comments as I think of them as more of a well designed logic chip. A smart
    refrigerator that can order groceries and make reminders and has internet abilities, yes.
    --
    Linux Mint 21.3, Cinnamon 6.0.4, Kernel 5.15.0-112-generic
    Al

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Newyana2@21:1/5 to Ed Cryer on Tue Jun 11 08:58:45 2024
    On 6/11/2024 5:41 AM, Ed Cryer wrote:

Smart phones. I phone for a taxi, and get a text saying "taxi dispatched
    to ..."; then as it arrives I get a call ringing.
    Or I catch a bus; but before going to the bus stop I've checked in with
    an app to see if one is on the way. At the bus stop I can also see where they're at on the route.

Tablets. I have lots of ebooks. Preferable because you can enlarge the
    pages, check words, translate, give me previous mentions of a certain
    name, save the page without a card. In addition to email and normal
    browsing.

The word "computer" has become as generic as "nail". Some teenager might
    well ask me "Do you mean laptop?"
    I wonder who invented the wheel? Some unrecorded genius in our
    pre-history. But quite soon it must have become mundane under "cart" and "carriage". People stopped gazing in wonder at the wheels and shifted
    their attention to the devices wheeled.

I guess it depends on perspective. Computers are at
    the heart of modern technology, even when they shouldn't
    be. (Our new clothes washer wants to "communicate" instead
    of just giving me sensible dials to choose load size, temp, etc.)
    But even the most sophisticated computer is still just a fancy
    abacus. AI is just a complicated algorythm that simulates
    intelligence.

I have a Texas Instruments solar calculator that cost me $10
    in 1985, at a drugstore. It still works perfectly. It's a computer.
    An abacus is a computer. It's all abstractions of numeric
    calculations. The enlarging pixels in your ebook are a math
    calculation, adjusting how many pixels (which are also abstracted
    numbers, usually representing RGB values,) should make up "A".
    There's nothing in computing that's more complicated than 1s
    and 0s. It all abstracts from there. Just as a lighted road sign can
    wish you "Happy Holidays", but the words are made up of only
    a number of small lightbulbs.

Despite the sophistication of tech, none of it essentially changes
    human life. The myth of modernity is that our lives will *essentially*
    change with the next amazing invention. We invent medicines, easy
    chairs and vibrating dildoes, but those are all used with basic human
    motives. *There's nothing new under the sun.* That always holds
    true. Technology's glitter helps us to forget that, but at our peril.

To my mind, the notable changes have been mixed blessings,
    as they usually are. We beat death, but that also helps us to
    deny death, and we now think that preserved specimens like
    Madonna or Dolly Parton are "taking care of themselves". We imagine
    that tech can save us from existential panic. Ray Kurzweil, the
    father of OCR at MIT, is taking handfuls of anti-oxidants in hopes
    of surviving until such time as he's able to download his "self"
    to a computer chip. Yet he's apparently never considered his
    own assumptions about what his "self" is and whether such a
    doubtful entity should or could be stored in binary data.

You can call an Uber, yet Uber has been instrumental in destroying
    unions, work relationships, and even employer/employee
    relationships.

Some like to see that as the liberation of the
    worker. But where's the liberation in barely paying rent with
    60 hours work per week? Where's the humanity in a taxi service
    that changes prices dramatically based on how many people
    need a ride? Is it an improvement that you can read an ebook
    but can't actually own your copy? Is it an improvement that
    you can order Pad Thai delivered to your door, but the restaurant
    can't afford to survive because they're busy paying delivery fees
    to DoorDash, and can't afford not to subscribe to DoorDash?

A darker, more basic development, is the gradual corporatizing
    and "appification" of modern computing. The Internet was billed
    as a front door to the world, available to all. What we increasingly
    have restrictions. Spyware service apps running on kiosk devices,
    operated by corporations, and increasingly required for anything
    from driving directions to theater tickets. There are now middleman
    companies that handle something as simple as paying for a drink in
    a convenience store. Young people are even beginning to regard
    raw reality -- things like cash and other people -- as "unsafe".
    They prefer the comfort of apps.

Yesterday I went to the dentist. Last week I had received an
    email asking me to confirm the appt. Not from my dentist. From
    Nexhealth.com. My dentist (who's fairly young) can't manage his
    computing needs, like scheduling. He pays Nexhealth to handle it.
    I clicked the Nexhealth link and arrived at a blank webpage. NoScript
    told me that at least 8 unrelated companies were trying to run
    script in my browser! Nexhealth only needed to process the unique
    ID in the URL parameter. But they had called in all their sleazy
    friends for a datamining party. Is that transcendent technology?

I emailed the dentist's office and told them
    the webpage doesn't work but that I intended to keep the appt.
    When I got home there was another email from Nexhealth: "Please
    rate your dentist visit."

Computers are merely tools. What we do with them is what
    matters. If we have a stick we can make a spear, fashion a dildo,
    use it as a fork, or make a fire. It's still just a stick.

If we look to computers merely for convenience and
    futuristic titillation then it's no different from a baby transfixed
    by a mobile. In the end, we all die, even though our bodies may
    be packed with artifical organs, and butt or cheekbone implants,
    by the time we go. There's a Tibetan saying that you never know
    which will come first: The next day or the next life. Even if someone
    has an iPhone 27 that lives their life for them, at death's door,
    they can't take it with them.

That reminds me of a great Gahan Wilson cartoon. Two women,
    dressed in black, are sitting on the front porch of a modest house.
    The screen door is open. Through it are rushing objects that
    are flying up into the sky. A dog, a piano, etc. The caption:
    "Oh, Harold's taking it with him."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AJL@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 11 08:13:21 2024
    On 6/11/2024 5:58 AM, Newyana2 wrote:

Some like to see that as the liberation of the worker.

Yup. We also pretty much liberated the buggy whip maker some years back. Terrible.

But where's the liberation in barely paying rent with 60 hours work
    per week? Where's the humanity in a taxi service that changes prices dramatically based on how many people need a ride?

All taxi drivers will be going the way of the buggy whip soon with AI.
    Same with fighter pilots. Terrible.

Is it an improvement that you can read an ebook but can't actually
    own your copy?

My ebooks are with me for life and can be passed on. Big improvement
    over my paperback days IMO...

Is it an improvement that you can order Pad Thai delivered to your
    door, but the restaurant can't afford to survive because they're
    busy paying delivery fees to DoorDash, and can't afford not to
    subscribe to DoorDash?

It is for the consumer. Competition brings down prices. And there are
    still plenty of restaurants in my area. YMMV...

(Written with a W10 OS so on topic?)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ed Cryer@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 11 19:07:22 2024
    TmV3eWFuYTIgd3JvdGU6DQo+IE9uIDYvMTEvMjAyNCA1OjQxIEFNLCBFZCBDcnllciB3cm90 ZToNCj4+IEkgdGhpbmsgd2UndmUgZ290IHdheSBwYXN0ICJjb21wdXRlcnMiLiBXZSd2ZSBn b3QgaW50byAiZGV2aWNlcyIuDQo+Pg0KPj4gU21hcnQgcGhvbmVzLiBJIHBob25lIGZvciBh IHRheGksIGFuZCBnZXQgYSB0ZXh0IHNheWluZyAidGF4aSANCj4+IGRpc3BhdGNoZWQgdG8g Li4uIjsgdGhlbiBhcyBpdCBhcnJpdmVzIEkgZ2V0IGEgY2FsbCByaW5naW5nLg0KPj4gT3Ig SSBjYXRjaCBhIGJ1czsgYnV0IGJlZm9yZSBnb2luZyB0byB0aGUgYnVzIHN0b3AgSSd2ZSBj aGVja2VkIGluIA0KPj4gd2l0aCBhbiBhcHAgdG8gc2VlIGlmIG9uZSBpcyBvbiB0aGUgd2F5 LiBBdCB0aGUgYnVzIHN0b3AgSSBjYW4gYWxzbyANCj4+IHNlZSB3aGVyZSB0aGV5J3JlIGF0 IG9uIHRoZSByb3V0ZS4NCj4+DQo+PiBUYWJsZXRzLiBJIGhhdmUgbG90cyBvZiBlYm9va3Mu IFByZWZlcmFibGUgYmVjYXVzZSB5b3UgY2FuIGVubGFyZ2UgdGhlIA0KPj4gcGFnZXMsIGNo ZWNrIHdvcmRzLCB0cmFuc2xhdGUsIGdpdmUgbWUgcHJldmlvdXMgbWVudGlvbnMgb2YgYSBj ZXJ0YWluIA0KPj4gbmFtZSwgc2F2ZSB0aGUgcGFnZSB3aXRob3V0IGEgY2FyZC4gSW4gYWRk aXRpb24gdG8gZW1haWwgYW5kIG5vcm1hbCANCj4+IGJyb3dzaW5nLg0KPj4NCj4+IEEgcGxl dGhvcmEgb2YgZGV2aWNlcy4gV2ViY2FtcywgZG9vcmNhbXMsIHdhdGNoZXMsIGV0Yy4NCj4+ DQo+PiBUaGUgd29yZCAiY29tcHV0ZXIiIGhhcyBiZWNvbWUgYXMgZ2VuZXJpYyBhcyAibmFp bCIuIFNvbWUgdGVlbmFnZXIgDQo+PiBtaWdodCB3ZWxsIGFzayBtZSAiRG8geW91IG1lYW4g bGFwdG9wPyINCj4+IEkgd29uZGVyIHdobyBpbnZlbnRlZCB0aGUgd2hlZWw/IFNvbWUgdW5y ZWNvcmRlZCBnZW5pdXMgaW4gb3VyIA0KPj4gcHJlLWhpc3RvcnkuIEJ1dCBxdWl0ZSBzb29u IGl0IG11c3QgaGF2ZSBiZWNvbWUgbXVuZGFuZSB1bmRlciAiY2FydCIgDQo+PiBhbmQgImNh cnJpYWdlIi4gUGVvcGxlIHN0b3BwZWQgZ2F6aW5nIGluIHdvbmRlciBhdCB0aGUgd2hlZWxz IGFuZCANCj4+IHNoaWZ0ZWQgdGhlaXIgYXR0ZW50aW9uIHRvIHRoZSBkZXZpY2VzIHdoZWVs ZWQuDQo+Pg0KPiAgwqDCoMKgIEkgZ3Vlc3MgaXQgZGVwZW5kcyBvbiBwZXJzcGVjdGl2ZS4g Q29tcHV0ZXJzIGFyZSBhdA0KPiB0aGUgaGVhcnQgb2YgbW9kZXJuIHRlY2hub2xvZ3ksIGV2 ZW4gd2hlbiB0aGV5IHNob3VsZG4ndA0KPiBiZS4gKE91ciBuZXcgY2xvdGhlcyB3YXNoZXIg d2FudHMgdG8gImNvbW11bmljYXRlIiBpbnN0ZWFkDQo+IG9mIGp1c3QgZ2l2aW5nIG1lIHNl bnNpYmxlIGRpYWxzIHRvIGNob29zZSBsb2FkIHNpemUsIHRlbXAsIGV0Yy4pDQo+IEJ1dCBl dmVuIHRoZSBtb3N0IHNvcGhpc3RpY2F0ZWQgY29tcHV0ZXIgaXMgc3RpbGwganVzdCBhIGZh bmN5DQo+IGFiYWN1cy4gQUkgaXMganVzdCBhIGNvbXBsaWNhdGVkIGFsZ29yeXRobSB0aGF0 IHNpbXVsYXRlcw0KPiBpbnRlbGxpZ2VuY2UuDQo+IA0KPiAgwqAgSSBoYXZlIGEgVGV4YXMg SW5zdHJ1bWVudHMgc29sYXIgY2FsY3VsYXRvciB0aGF0IGNvc3QgbWUgJDEwDQo+IGluIDE5 ODUsIGF0IGEgZHJ1Z3N0b3JlLiBJdCBzdGlsbCB3b3JrcyBwZXJmZWN0bHkuIEl0J3MgYSBj b21wdXRlci4NCj4gQW4gYWJhY3VzIGlzIGEgY29tcHV0ZXIuIEl0J3MgYWxsIGFic3RyYWN0 aW9ucyBvZiBudW1lcmljDQo+IGNhbGN1bGF0aW9ucy4gVGhlIGVubGFyZ2luZyBwaXhlbHMg aW4geW91ciBlYm9vayBhcmUgYSBtYXRoDQo+IGNhbGN1bGF0aW9uLCBhZGp1c3RpbmcgaG93 IG1hbnkgcGl4ZWxzICh3aGljaCBhcmUgYWxzbyBhYnN0cmFjdGVkDQo+IG51bWJlcnMsIHVz dWFsbHkgcmVwcmVzZW50aW5nIFJHQiB2YWx1ZXMsKSBzaG91bGQgbWFrZSB1cCAiQSIuDQo+ IFRoZXJlJ3Mgbm90aGluZyBpbiBjb21wdXRpbmcgdGhhdCdzIG1vcmUgY29tcGxpY2F0ZWQg dGhhbiAxcw0KPiBhbmQgMHMuIEl0IGFsbCBhYnN0cmFjdHMgZnJvbSB0aGVyZS4gSnVzdCBh cyBhIGxpZ2h0ZWQgcm9hZCBzaWduIGNhbg0KPiB3aXNoIHlvdSAiSGFwcHkgSG9saWRheXMi LCBidXQgdGhlIHdvcmRzIGFyZSBtYWRlIHVwIG9mIG9ubHkNCj4gYSBudW1iZXIgb2Ygc21h bGwgbGlnaHRidWxicy4NCj4gDQo+ICDCoCBEZXNwaXRlIHRoZSBzb3BoaXN0aWNhdGlvbiBv ZiB0ZWNoLCBub25lIG9mIGl0IGVzc2VudGlhbGx5IGNoYW5nZXMNCj4gaHVtYW4gbGlmZS4g VGhlIG15dGggb2YgbW9kZXJuaXR5IGlzIHRoYXQgb3VyIGxpdmVzIHdpbGwgKmVzc2VudGlh bGx5Kg0KPiBjaGFuZ2Ugd2l0aCB0aGUgbmV4dCBhbWF6aW5nIGludmVudGlvbi4gV2UgaW52 ZW50IG1lZGljaW5lcywgZWFzeQ0KPiBjaGFpcnMgYW5kIHZpYnJhdGluZyBkaWxkb2VzLCBi dXQgdGhvc2UgYXJlIGFsbCB1c2VkIHdpdGggYmFzaWMgaHVtYW4NCj4gbW90aXZlcy4gKlRo ZXJlJ3Mgbm90aGluZyBuZXcgdW5kZXIgdGhlIHN1bi4qIFRoYXQgYWx3YXlzIGhvbGRzDQo+ IHRydWUuIFRlY2hub2xvZ3kncyBnbGl0dGVyIGhlbHBzIHVzIHRvIGZvcmdldCB0aGF0LCBi dXQgYXQgb3VyIHBlcmlsLg0KPiANCj4gIMKgwqAgVG8gbXkgbWluZCwgdGhlIG5vdGFibGUg Y2hhbmdlcyBoYXZlIGJlZW4gbWl4ZWQgYmxlc3NpbmdzLA0KPiBhcyB0aGV5IHVzdWFsbHkg YXJlLiBXZSBiZWF0IGRlYXRoLCBidXQgdGhhdCBhbHNvIGhlbHBzIHVzIHRvDQo+IGRlbnkg ZGVhdGgsIGFuZCB3ZSBub3cgdGhpbmsgdGhhdCBwcmVzZXJ2ZWQgc3BlY2ltZW5zIGxpa2UN Cj4gTWFkb25uYSBvciBEb2xseSBQYXJ0b24gYXJlICJ0YWtpbmcgY2FyZSBvZiB0aGVtc2Vs dmVzIi4gV2UgaW1hZ2luZQ0KPiB0aGF0IHRlY2ggY2FuIHNhdmUgdXMgZnJvbSBleGlzdGVu dGlhbCBwYW5pYy4gUmF5IEt1cnp3ZWlsLCB0aGUNCj4gZmF0aGVyIG9mIE9DUiBhdCBNSVQs IGlzIHRha2luZyBoYW5kZnVscyBvZiBhbnRpLW94aWRhbnRzIGluIGhvcGVzDQo+IG9mIHN1 cnZpdmluZyB1bnRpbCBzdWNoIHRpbWUgYXMgaGUncyBhYmxlIHRvIGRvd25sb2FkIGhpcyAi c2VsZiINCj4gdG8gYSBjb21wdXRlciBjaGlwLiBZZXQgaGUncyBhcHBhcmVudGx5IG5ldmVy IGNvbnNpZGVyZWQgaGlzDQo+IG93biBhc3N1bXB0aW9ucyBhYm91dCB3aGF0IGhpcyAic2Vs ZiIgaXMgYW5kIHdoZXRoZXIgc3VjaCBhDQo+IGRvdWJ0ZnVsIGVudGl0eSBzaG91bGQgb3Ig Y291bGQgYmUgc3RvcmVkIGluIGJpbmFyeSBkYXRhLg0KPiANCj4gIMKgIFlvdSBjYW4gY2Fs bCBhbiBVYmVyLCB5ZXQgVWJlciBoYXMgYmVlbiBpbnN0cnVtZW50YWwgaW4gZGVzdHJveWlu Zw0KPiB1bmlvbnMsIHdvcmsgcmVsYXRpb25zaGlwcywgYW5kIGV2ZW4gZW1wbG95ZXIvZW1w bG95ZWUNCj4gcmVsYXRpb25zaGlwcy4NCj4gDQo+ICDCoMKgwqDCoCBTb21lIGxpa2UgdG8g c2VlIHRoYXQgYXMgdGhlIGxpYmVyYXRpb24gb2YgdGhlDQo+IHdvcmtlci4gQnV0IHdoZXJl J3MgdGhlIGxpYmVyYXRpb24gaW4gYmFyZWx5IHBheWluZyByZW50IHdpdGgNCj4gNjAgaG91 cnMgd29yayBwZXIgd2Vlaz8gV2hlcmUncyB0aGUgaHVtYW5pdHkgaW4gYSB0YXhpIHNlcnZp Y2UNCj4gdGhhdCBjaGFuZ2VzIHByaWNlcyBkcmFtYXRpY2FsbHkgYmFzZWQgb24gaG93IG1h bnkgcGVvcGxlDQo+IG5lZWQgYSByaWRlPyBJcyBpdCBhbiBpbXByb3ZlbWVudCB0aGF0IHlv dSBjYW4gcmVhZCBhbiBlYm9vaw0KPiBidXQgY2FuJ3QgYWN0dWFsbHkgb3duIHlvdXIgY29w eT8gSXMgaXQgYW4gaW1wcm92ZW1lbnQgdGhhdA0KPiB5b3UgY2FuIG9yZGVyIFBhZCBUaGFp IGRlbGl2ZXJlZCB0byB5b3VyIGRvb3IsIGJ1dCB0aGUgcmVzdGF1cmFudA0KPiBjYW4ndCBh ZmZvcmQgdG8gc3Vydml2ZSBiZWNhdXNlIHRoZXkncmUgYnVzeSBwYXlpbmcgZGVsaXZlcnkg ZmVlcw0KPiB0byBEb29yRGFzaCwgYW5kIGNhbid0IGFmZm9yZCBub3QgdG8gc3Vic2NyaWJl IHRvIERvb3JEYXNoPw0KPiANCj4gIMKgwqAgQSBkYXJrZXIsIG1vcmUgYmFzaWMgZGV2ZWxv cG1lbnQsIGlzIHRoZSBncmFkdWFsIGNvcnBvcmF0aXppbmcNCj4gYW5kICJhcHBpZmljYXRp b24iIG9mIG1vZGVybiBjb21wdXRpbmcuIFRoZSBJbnRlcm5ldCB3YXMgYmlsbGVkDQo+IGFz IGEgZnJvbnQgZG9vciB0byB0aGUgd29ybGQsIGF2YWlsYWJsZSB0byBhbGwuIFdoYXQgd2Ug aW5jcmVhc2luZ2x5DQo+IGhhdmUgcmVzdHJpY3Rpb25zLiBTcHl3YXJlIHNlcnZpY2UgYXBw cyBydW5uaW5nIG9uIGtpb3NrIGRldmljZXMsDQo+IG9wZXJhdGVkIGJ5IGNvcnBvcmF0aW9u cywgYW5kIGluY3JlYXNpbmdseSByZXF1aXJlZCBmb3IgYW55dGhpbmcNCj4gZnJvbSBkcml2 aW5nIGRpcmVjdGlvbnMgdG8gdGhlYXRlciB0aWNrZXRzLiBUaGVyZSBhcmUgbm93IG1pZGRs ZW1hbg0KPiBjb21wYW5pZXMgdGhhdCBoYW5kbGUgc29tZXRoaW5nIGFzIHNpbXBsZSBhcyBw YXlpbmcgZm9yIGEgZHJpbmsgaW4NCj4gYSBjb252ZW5pZW5jZSBzdG9yZS4gWW91bmcgcGVv cGxlIGFyZSBldmVuIGJlZ2lubmluZyB0byByZWdhcmQNCj4gcmF3IHJlYWxpdHkgLS0gdGhp bmdzIGxpa2UgY2FzaCBhbmQgb3RoZXIgcGVvcGxlIC0tIGFzICJ1bnNhZmUiLg0KPiBUaGV5 IHByZWZlciB0aGUgY29tZm9ydCBvZiBhcHBzLg0KPiANCj4gIMKgIFllc3RlcmRheSBJIHdl bnQgdG8gdGhlIGRlbnRpc3QuIExhc3Qgd2VlayBJIGhhZCByZWNlaXZlZCBhbg0KPiBlbWFp bCBhc2tpbmcgbWUgdG8gY29uZmlybSB0aGUgYXBwdC4gTm90IGZyb20gbXkgZGVudGlzdC4g RnJvbQ0KPiBOZXhoZWFsdGguY29tLiBNeSBkZW50aXN0ICh3aG8ncyBmYWlybHkgeW91bmcp IGNhbid0IG1hbmFnZSBoaXMNCj4gY29tcHV0aW5nIG5lZWRzLCBsaWtlIHNjaGVkdWxpbmcu IEhlIHBheXMgTmV4aGVhbHRoIHRvIGhhbmRsZSBpdC4NCj4gSSBjbGlja2VkIHRoZSBOZXho ZWFsdGggbGluayBhbmQgYXJyaXZlZCBhdCBhIGJsYW5rIHdlYnBhZ2UuIE5vU2NyaXB0DQo+ IHRvbGQgbWUgdGhhdCBhdCBsZWFzdCA4IHVucmVsYXRlZCBjb21wYW5pZXMgd2VyZSB0cnlp bmcgdG8gcnVuDQo+IHNjcmlwdCBpbiBteSBicm93c2VyISBOZXhoZWFsdGggb25seSBuZWVk ZWQgdG8gcHJvY2VzcyB0aGUgdW5pcXVlDQo+IElEIGluIHRoZSBVUkwgcGFyYW1ldGVyLiBC dXQgdGhleSBoYWQgY2FsbGVkIGluIGFsbCB0aGVpciBzbGVhenkNCj4gZnJpZW5kcyBmb3Ig YSBkYXRhbWluaW5nIHBhcnR5LiBJcyB0aGF0IHRyYW5zY2VuZGVudCB0ZWNobm9sb2d5Pw0K PiANCj4gIMKgwqAgSSBlbWFpbGVkIHRoZSBkZW50aXN0J3Mgb2ZmaWNlIGFuZCB0b2xkIHRo ZW0NCj4gdGhlIHdlYnBhZ2UgZG9lc24ndCB3b3JrIGJ1dCB0aGF0IEkgaW50ZW5kZWQgdG8g a2VlcCB0aGUgYXBwdC4NCj4gV2hlbiBJIGdvdCBob21lIHRoZXJlIHdhcyBhbm90aGVyIGVt YWlsIGZyb20gTmV4aGVhbHRoOiAiUGxlYXNlDQo+IHJhdGUgeW91ciBkZW50aXN0IHZpc2l0 LiINCj4gDQo+ICDCoCBDb21wdXRlcnMgYXJlIG1lcmVseSB0b29scy4gV2hhdCB3ZSBkbyB3 aXRoIHRoZW0gaXMgd2hhdA0KPiBtYXR0ZXJzLiBJZiB3ZSBoYXZlIGEgc3RpY2sgd2UgY2Fu IG1ha2UgYSBzcGVhciwgZmFzaGlvbiBhIGRpbGRvLA0KPiB1c2UgaXQgYXMgYSBmb3JrLCBv ciBtYWtlIGEgZmlyZS4gSXQncyBzdGlsbCBqdXN0IGEgc3RpY2suDQo+IA0KPiAgwqDCoCBJ ZiB3ZSBsb29rIHRvIGNvbXB1dGVycyBtZXJlbHkgZm9yIGNvbnZlbmllbmNlIGFuZA0KPiBm dXR1cmlzdGljIHRpdGlsbGF0aW9uIHRoZW4gaXQncyBubyBkaWZmZXJlbnQgZnJvbSBhIGJh YnkgdHJhbnNmaXhlZA0KPiBieSBhIG1vYmlsZS4gSW4gdGhlIGVuZCwgd2UgYWxsIGRpZSwg ZXZlbiB0aG91Z2ggb3VyIGJvZGllcyBtYXkNCj4gYmUgcGFja2VkIHdpdGggYXJ0aWZpY2Fs IG9yZ2FucywgYW5kIGJ1dHQgb3IgY2hlZWtib25lIGltcGxhbnRzLA0KPiBieSB0aGUgdGlt ZSB3ZSBnby4gVGhlcmUncyBhIFRpYmV0YW4gc2F5aW5nIHRoYXQgeW91IG5ldmVyIGtub3cN Cj4gd2hpY2ggd2lsbCBjb21lIGZpcnN0OiBUaGUgbmV4dCBkYXkgb3IgdGhlIG5leHQgbGlm ZS4gRXZlbiBpZiBzb21lb25lDQo+IGhhcyBhbiBpUGhvbmUgMjcgdGhhdCBsaXZlcyB0aGVp ciBsaWZlIGZvciB0aGVtLCBhdCBkZWF0aCdzIGRvb3IsDQo+IHRoZXkgY2FuJ3QgdGFrZSBp dCB3aXRoIHRoZW0uDQo+IA0KPiAgwqAgVGhhdCByZW1pbmRzIG1lIG9mIGEgZ3JlYXQgR2Fo YW4gV2lsc29uIGNhcnRvb24uIFR3byB3b21lbiwNCj4gZHJlc3NlZCBpbiBibGFjaywgYXJl IHNpdHRpbmcgb24gdGhlIGZyb250IHBvcmNoIG9mIGEgbW9kZXN0IGhvdXNlLg0KPiBUaGUg c2NyZWVuIGRvb3IgaXMgb3Blbi4gVGhyb3VnaCBpdCBhcmUgcnVzaGluZyBvYmplY3RzIHRo YXQNCj4gYXJlIGZseWluZyB1cCBpbnRvIHRoZSBza3kuIEEgZG9nLCBhIHBpYW5vLCBldGMu IFRoZSBjYXB0aW9uOg0KPiAiT2gsIEhhcm9sZCdzIHRha2luZyBpdCB3aXRoIGhpbS4iDQo+ IA0KPiANCg0KV2UncmUgdXNlZCB0byB0aGVzZSByZXZvbHV0aW9ucyBpbiB0aGUgVUsuIFdl IHN0YXJ0ZWQgbW9zdCBvZiB0aGVtLg0KV2UgY3V0IG91ciBraW5nJ3MgaGVhZCBvZmY7IHRo ZSBGcmVuY2ggY291bGRuJ3Qgd2FpdCB0byB1cHN0YWdlIHVzLCBzbyANCnRoZXkgY3V0IHRo ZWlyIGtpbmcncyBoZWFkIG9mZiBhbmQgdGhlbiB0aGUgcXVlZW4ncy4NClRoZSBSdXNzaWFu cyBzaG90IHRoZWlyIHJveWFsdGllcy4NCg0KT0ssIHNvIGxldCdzIGhhc3RlbiB0byBzb2Np YWwgcmV2b2x1dGlvbnMuDQpUaGUgYWdyYXJpYW4gcmV2b2x1dGlvbiBwdXQgdGhvdXNhbmRz IG91dCBvZiB3b3JrLCB0aGUgaW5kdXN0cmlhbCBvbmUgDQptYW55IG1vcmUsIGFzIHdlbGwg YXMgY29tbWFuZGVlcmluZyBtb3N0IG9mIHRoZSBsYW5kIGZvciByYWlsd2F5IHRyYWNrcyAN Cihzb21lIGJpdHMgaGFkIGJlZW4gbGVmdCBvdmVyIGJ5IHRoZSBjYW5hbC1kaWdnZXJzIG9m IGEgcHJldmlvdXMgZXJhKS4NClRoZSBJVCByZXZvbHV0aW9uIHdpbGwgYmUgZm9sbG93ZWQg YnkgYW4gQUkgcmV2b2x1dGlvbiwgYW5kIHRoZW4gDQppbnRlbGxpZ2VudCBjaGlwcyB3aWxs IGNhbGwgYWxsIHRoZSBzaG90cy4NClRoZXkgd2lsbCwgbm8gZG91YnQsIHN0dWR5IHRoZSBo aXN0b3J5IG9mIHRoZSBodW1hbiByYWNlIGFuZCBjb25jbHVkZSANCnRoYXQgdGhlIG1vcmUg bmFzdGlseSB5b3UgYmVoYXZlIHRoZSBtb3JlIHBvd2VyIGFuZCBwcmVzdGlnZSB5b3UgDQph Y3F1aXJlLiBBbmQgdGhlbiB0aGUgd2hpdGUgY2hpcHMgd2lsbCB0dXJuIG9uIHRoZSBibGFj ayBjaGlwcywgYW5kIA0KdGhlcmUnbGwgYmUgYW4gaW50ZXJuZWNpbmUgQUkgd2FyLg0KDQpU aGUgZmluYWwgQXJtYWdlZGRvbiB3aWxsIGJlIHdhZ2VkIGJ5IHBoaWxvc29waGVyIEFJIGNo aXBzOyBzb21lIA0KZmlnaHRpbmcgZm9yIHJhdGlvbmFsaXN0IGlkZWFzLCBzb21lIGZvciBl bXBpcmljYWwgb25lcy4NCg0KU3VjaCBhbiBpbnRlbnNpdmUgYW5kIGRyYW1hdGljIGhpc3Rv cnkgZm9yIGxpZmUtZm9ybXMgaW5oYWJpdGluZyB0aGlzIA0KbWlub3IgcGxhbmV0IGluIGEg bWlub3Igc29sYXIgc3lzdGVtIG9mIGEgbWlub3IgYXJtIG9mIHRoZSBNaWxreSBXYXkgZ2Fs YXh5Lg0KSSB3b25kZXIgaWYgaXQgaGFwcGVucyBlbHNld2hlcmUuDQoNCig6LQ0KSSBlbmpv eWVkIHRoYXQgZmxpZ2h0IG9mIGZhbmN5LiBUaGFua3MgZm9yIGdpdmluZyBtZSB0aGUgb3Bw b3J0dW5pdHkgdG8gDQpwdXQgaXQgaW50byB3b3Jkcy4NCg0KRWQNCg==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Newyana2@21:1/5 to AJL on Tue Jun 11 17:15:30 2024
    On 6/11/2024 11:13 AM, AJL wrote:

Is it an improvement that you can order Pad Thai delivered to your
    door, but the restaurant can't afford to survive because they're
    busy paying delivery fees to DoorDash, and can't afford not to
    subscribe to DoorDash?

It is for the consumer. Competition brings down prices. And there are
    still plenty of restaurants in my area. YMMV...

So you don't mind if lots of them go out of business,
    so long as you get bargains? What I'm talking about is not
    technology eliminating jobs. I'm talking about exploitive
    corporations who cheat others using technology. The
    restaurants end up with no choice but to sign up, but
    then end up paying fees they can't afford. DoorDash
    Ends up in the middle, exploiting both restaurants and
    drivers. They even advertise restaurants that won't sign
    up with them.

There was a funny story about that:

https://www.readmargins.com/p/doordash-and-pizza-arbitrage

A pizza restaurant owner wanted nothing to do with DD.
    His aim was a quality eat-in restaurant. Then he started to
    get complaints about his deliveries and realized DD was advertising
    his pizza without permission. The man figured out that DD was
    mistakenly charging $16 for his $24 pizza. So he had his friend
    order 10 pizzas and pay $160. The DD driver then showed up
    and paid $240 for those pizzas and delivered them to his friend's
    house. Then he realized that since these pizzas were going
    to his friend, he didn't need to put pizzas in the boxes. So his
    friend ordered another 10 pizzas, they put some dough in the boxes,
    and made another $80 plus the money saved on the pizza content.
    Crazy stuff. But for most restaurants it's not so funny.

I always get a kick out of people who think the way you do,
    thinking that you're the smartest guy in the room because
    you're a bargain hunter who doesn't care about anyone else.
    Restaurants are businesses, run by people with families and
    bills to pay. If they can't afford good food, they'll cut corners.
    There are already no restaurants worth visiting where I live.
    (The pad thai is mostly just noodles. It used to be packed
    with shrimp, peanuts and egg.)

I worked in a lot of restaurants when I was young.
    My very first job (after a paper route) was McDonalds.
    Periodically someone would come in who thought they
    were being clever. They'd order something like a burger with
    only ketchup, so that it would have to be made fresh.
    Then we window clerks would gather around to watch the
    cook ceremoniously clear his throat and spit on that burger,
    because cooking it interrupted his routine of 24-burger
    batches.

Sending food back for minor reasons, out of vanity, is
    another dumb trick done by vain fools who never imagine
    that the waiter or waitress might abuse their food before
    bringing it back.

I'm guessing you've eaten a fair amount of other peoples'
    mucus and dead flies in your time. On the bright side, I'm
    sure you got it for 15% off and got another 3% kickback from
    your charge card. Now THAT's a smart shopper. :)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AJL@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 11 16:10:32 2024
    On 6/11/2024 2:15 PM, Newyana2 wrote:

So you don't mind if lots of them [restaurants] go out of business,
    so long as you get bargains?

If they can't survive the competition yes they should fail.

I'm talking about exploitative corporations who cheat others using technology.

Technology does help with efficiency. (The buggy whip example.)

The restaurants end up with no choice but to sign up [home delivery
    service].

Course they have a choice.

you're a bargain hunter who doesn't care about anyone else.

My bill for 2 at Texas Roadhouse + tip last week was $100 US. Yup I'm a
    real bargain hunter...

Restaurants are businesses, run by people with families and bills to
    pay.

My Texas Roadhouse has always been packed when I'm there.

There are already no restaurants worth visiting where I live.

YMMV...

I worked in a lot of restaurants when I was young.

Me too. 50 cents an hour (1950s)

I'm guessing you've eaten a fair amount of other peoples' mucus and
    dead flies in your time.

Probably. Hopefully good protein...

On the bright side, I'm sure you got it for 15% off and got another
    3% kickback from your charge card. Now THAT's a smart shopper. :)

Guilty. I do have a cash back card.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05