• Defrag or copy

From Ed Cryer@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 1 14:38:05 2024
    I have a 2TB external HD (spinner) which holds Macrium and Windows
    images, plus backups of my music DB. I'm constantly updating it
    (deleting old images and adding new ones). It's now got to the stage
    where Macrium takes much longer than it should.

It's become very fragmented, and the why is obvious.

Defragging a disk that size takes days; I don't know of a defragger more intelligent than the antique method of serial iteration, sector by
    sector; move blocks to a lay-by, close up the gap, move blocks back.

Now then, what about a simple copy? I get an empty HD, copy the live one
    to it, format the live one, copy back. Everything should have zero
    percent fragmentation.

Viable or not?

Ed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Big Al@21:1/5 to Ed Cryer on Sat Jun 1 11:24:09 2024
    On 6/1/24 09:38 AM, Ed Cryer wrote:
    I have a 2TB external HD (spinner) which holds Macrium and Windows images, plus backups of my music
    DB. I'm constantly updating it (deleting old images and adding new ones). It's now got to the stage

Defragging a disk that size takes days; I don't know of a defragger more intelligent than the
    antique method of serial iteration, sector by sector; move blocks to a lay-by, close up the gap,
    move blocks back.

Now then, what about a simple copy? I get an empty HD, copy the live one to it, format the live one,
    copy back. Everything should have zero percent fragmentation.

Viable or not?

Ed
    Do you turn on the optimization built into windows? It might help on the long run.

I use a defragger called 'my defrag'. It's no longer worked on but it works. It has 3 modes,
    daily, weekly, monthly. The daily does as little as possible, defrag + a bit. Weekly does a bit
    more, monthly obviously is very intense and sorts the files as well as defrag. The latter would
    take forever on 2TB.

Not this program but if you used any defragger and run it weekly maybe it wouldn't be so bad.
    How about partitioning the drive and put macrium on one section and other, more static files, on the
    other partition? Macrium would frag, but be less to defrag.
    --
    Linux Mint 21.3, Cinnamon 6.0.4, Kernel 5.15.0-107-generic
    Al

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ed Cryer@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 1 17:12:02 2024
    QmlnIEFsIHdyb3RlOg0KPiBPbiA2LzEvMjQgMDk6MzggQU0sIEVkIENyeWVyIHdyb3RlOg0K Pj4gSSBoYXZlIGEgMlRCIGV4dGVybmFsIEhEIChzcGlubmVyKSB3aGljaCBob2xkcyBNYWNy aXVtIGFuZCBXaW5kb3dzIA0KPj4gaW1hZ2VzLCBwbHVzIGJhY2t1cHMgb2YgbXkgbXVzaWMg REIuIEknbSBjb25zdGFudGx5IHVwZGF0aW5nIGl0IA0KPj4gKGRlbGV0aW5nIG9sZCBpbWFn ZXMgYW5kIGFkZGluZyBuZXcgb25lcykuIEl0J3Mgbm93IGdvdCB0byB0aGUgc3RhZ2UgDQo+ PiB3aGVyZSBNYWNyaXVtIHRha2VzIG11Y2ggbG9uZ2VyIHRoYW4gaXQgc2hvdWxkLg0KPj4N Cj4+IEl0J3MgYmVjb21lIHZlcnkgZnJhZ21lbnRlZCwgYW5kIHRoZSB3aHkgaXMgb2J2aW91 cy4NCj4+DQo+PiBEZWZyYWdnaW5nIGEgZGlzayB0aGF0IHNpemUgdGFrZXMgZGF5czsgSSBk b24ndCBrbm93IG9mIGEgZGVmcmFnZ2VyIA0KPj4gbW9yZSBpbnRlbGxpZ2VudCB0aGFuIHRo ZSBhbnRpcXVlIG1ldGhvZCBvZiBzZXJpYWwgaXRlcmF0aW9uLCBzZWN0b3IgDQo+PiBieSBz ZWN0b3I7IG1vdmUgYmxvY2tzIHRvIGEgbGF5LWJ5LCBjbG9zZSB1cCB0aGUgZ2FwLCBtb3Zl IGJsb2NrcyBiYWNrLg0KPj4NCj4+IE5vdyB0aGVuLCB3aGF0IGFib3V0IGEgc2ltcGxlIGNv cHk/IEkgZ2V0IGFuIGVtcHR5IEhELCBjb3B5IHRoZSBsaXZlIA0KPj4gb25lIHRvIGl0LCBm b3JtYXQgdGhlIGxpdmUgb25lLCBjb3B5IGJhY2suIEV2ZXJ5dGhpbmcgc2hvdWxkIGhhdmUg emVybyANCj4+IHBlcmNlbnQgZnJhZ21lbnRhdGlvbi4NCj4+DQo+PiBWaWFibGUgb3Igbm90 Pw0KPj4NCj4+IEVkDQo+IERvIHlvdSB0dXJuIG9uIHRoZSBvcHRpbWl6YXRpb24gYnVpbHQg aW50byB3aW5kb3dzP8KgIEl0IG1pZ2h0IGhlbHAgb24gDQo+IHRoZSBsb25nIHJ1bi4NCj4g DQo+IEkgdXNlIGEgZGVmcmFnZ2VyIGNhbGxlZCAnbXkgZGVmcmFnJy7CoMKgIEl0J3Mgbm8g bG9uZ2VyIHdvcmtlZCBvbiBidXQgaXQgDQo+IHdvcmtzLsKgIEl0IGhhcyAzIG1vZGVzLCBk YWlseSwgd2Vla2x5LCBtb250aGx5LsKgwqAgVGhlIGRhaWx5IGRvZXMgYXMgDQo+IGxpdHRs ZSBhcyBwb3NzaWJsZSwgZGVmcmFnICsgYSBiaXQuwqDCoCBXZWVrbHkgZG9lcyBhIGJpdCBt b3JlLCBtb250aGx5IA0KPiBvYnZpb3VzbHkgaXMgdmVyeSBpbnRlbnNlIGFuZCBzb3J0cyB0 aGUgZmlsZXMgYXMgd2VsbCBhcyBkZWZyYWcuwqDCoCBUaGUgDQo+IGxhdHRlciB3b3VsZCB0 YWtlIGZvcmV2ZXIgb24gMlRCLg0KPiANCj4gTm90IHRoaXMgcHJvZ3JhbSBidXQgaWYgeW91 IHVzZWQgYW55IGRlZnJhZ2dlciBhbmQgcnVuIGl0IHdlZWtseSBtYXliZSANCj4gaXQgd291 bGRuJ3QgYmUgc28gYmFkLg0KPiBIb3cgYWJvdXQgcGFydGl0aW9uaW5nIHRoZSBkcml2ZSBh bmQgcHV0IG1hY3JpdW0gb24gb25lIHNlY3Rpb24gYW5kIA0KPiBvdGhlciwgbW9yZSBzdGF0 aWMgZmlsZXMsIG9uIHRoZSBvdGhlciBwYXJ0aXRpb24/wqDCoCBNYWNyaXVtIHdvdWxkIGZy YWcsIA0KPiBidXQgYmUgbGVzcyB0byBkZWZyYWcuDQoNCkkgZG93bmxvYWRlZCB0aGUgbGF0 ZXN0IHZlcnNpb247IDQuMy4xLiBCdXQgdGhlIGZvbGRlciBhbHJlYWR5IGV4aXN0ZWQgDQp3 aGVuIEkgY2FtZSB0byBpbnN0YWxsIGl0LiBEb24ndCBrbm93IGhvdyBsb25nIEkndmUgaGFk IGl0IHJlc2lkZW50Lg0KU28gSSByYW4gaXQsIHNlbGVjdGVkIHRoZSBIRCBmb3IgYW5hbHlz aXMsIGdvdCBsb3RzIG9mIGNvbG91ciBzcGxhdHRlcmVkIA0KYWNyb3NzIHRoZSBzY3JlZW4s IHRoZW4gaXQgd2VudCBpbnRvIHBhdXNlIG1vZGUsIHRlbGxpbmcgbWUgdG8gaGl0IHNwYWNl IA0KYmFyLiBJIGRpZCB0aGF0LCBhbmQgaXQgY3Jhc2hlZC4NCkkgcmFuIGl0IGFnYWluLCBz YW1lIG91dGNvbWUuDQoNCkkgdGhpbmsgSSdsbCBmb2xsb3cgeW91ciBwYXJ0aXRpb24gYWR2 aWNlLg0KDQpFZA0K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Big Al@21:1/5 to Ed Cryer on Sat Jun 1 14:03:08 2024
    On 6/1/24 12:12 PM, Ed Cryer wrote:
    Big Al wrote:
    I have a 2TB external HD (spinner) which holds Macrium and Windows images, plus backups of my
    music DB. I'm constantly updating it (deleting old images and adding new ones). It's now got to
    the stage where Macrium takes much longer than it should.

Defragging a disk that size takes days; I don't know of a defragger more intelligent than the
    antique method of serial iteration, sector by sector; move blocks to a lay-by, close up the gap,
    move blocks back.

Now then, what about a simple copy? I get an empty HD, copy the live one to it, format the live
    one, copy back. Everything should have zero percent fragmentation.

Viable or not?

Ed
    Do you turn on the optimization built into windows?  It might help on the long run.

I use a defragger called 'my defrag'.   It's no longer worked on but it works.  It has 3 modes,
    daily, weekly, monthly.   The daily does as little as possible, defrag + a bit.   Weekly does a
    bit more, monthly obviously is very intense and sorts the files as well as defrag.   The latter
    would take forever on 2TB.

Not this program but if you used any defragger and run it weekly maybe it wouldn't be so bad.
    How about partitioning the drive and put macrium on one section and other, more static files, on
    the other partition?   Macrium would frag, but be less to defrag.

I downloaded the latest version; 4.3.1. But the folder already existed when I came to install it.
    Don't know how long I've had it resident.
    So I ran it, selected the HD for analysis, got lots of colour splattered across the screen, then it
    went into pause mode, telling me to hit space bar. I did that, and it crashed.
    I ran it again, same outcome.

I think I'll follow your partition advice.

Ed
    It is old, not sure if 2TB is beyond it's scope. I have a 4TB drive but, like you, I'll be damned
    if I'll defrag it. :-)
    --
    Al

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul@21:1/5 to Ed Cryer on Sat Jun 1 15:50:05 2024
    On 6/1/2024 12:12 PM, Ed Cryer wrote:
    Big Al wrote:
    I have a 2TB external HD (spinner) which holds Macrium and Windows images, plus backups of my music DB. I'm constantly updating it (deleting old images and adding new ones). It's now got to the stage where Macrium takes much longer than it should.

Defragging a disk that size takes days; I don't know of a defragger more intelligent than the antique method of serial iteration, sector by sector; move blocks to a lay-by, close up the gap, move blocks back.

Now then, what about a simple copy? I get an empty HD, copy the live one to it, format the live one, copy back. Everything should have zero percent fragmentation.

Viable or not?

Ed
    Do you turn on the optimization built into windows?  It might help on the long run.

I use a defragger called 'my defrag'.   It's no longer worked on but it works.  It has 3 modes, daily, weekly, monthly.   The daily does as little as possible, defrag + a bit.   Weekly does a bit more, monthly obviously is very intense and
    sorts the files as well as defrag.   The latter would take forever on 2TB.

How about partitioning the drive and put macrium on one section and other, more static files, on the other partition?   Macrium would frag, but be less to defrag.

I downloaded the latest version; 4.3.1. But the folder already existed when I came to install it. Don't know how long I've had it resident.
    So I ran it, selected the HD for analysis, got lots of colour splattered across the screen, then it went into pause mode, telling me to hit space bar. I did that, and it crashed.
    I ran it again, same outcome.

I think I'll follow your partition advice.

Ed

How many drives do you own ?

How many drives have space to work with ? :-) [My answer is "about one drive"...]

If you back up a 2TB partition with Macrium, then during
    restore (back to the original drive), you resize using the
    adjustment feature at the bottom, and make the partition
    1.9TB, Macrium during restoration does a defragment. It took
    quite a while to generate these pictures (picked the wrong
    MRIMG to play with).

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/x8WqYZW7/macrium-as-defragmenter-on-restore.gif

But of course, copying the files off the backup drive,
    to another drive, and back again ("wash and rinse"), does
    the same thing.

The difference is, making a backup of the backup drive, is
    a "safety step", for just in case.

Both operations check for bad blocks within the data files
    being transferred. In the case of Macrium, it would be checking
    the bad block status of every cluster placed in the .mrimg.

It's quite possible the 2TB WD Passport is on its last legs.

If it is a "native USB" drive, then there might not be
    passthru for SMART. The Health tab on HDTune tells you
    whether SMART is "visible" to the OS or not.

https://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe

One of the things I would do, is "chkdsk /f Z: " and
    see if your backup drive Z: is OK or not. The /f is for "fix".
    You can also do "chkdsk Z: " and just get an indication of whether
    a repair is needed.

chkdsk Z: # scan for health
    chkdsk /f Z: # scan and fix (to be run, if first one shows a need to fix)

On rare occasions, the first scan gives a perfect health report,
    yet the fix option actually fixes something :-) Always keep
    an opponent off balance, never let your opponent feel "safe"
    or "settled". A few curve balls are what computers are good at.

When a drive has potential health issues (cranky), you don't want to give
    it rope to hang itself. If the drive, for example, takes yonks
    to scan in the first case, you'd be trying to get HDTune SMART
    to tell you whether it is healthy or not.

Copying from drive to drive, also gives a chance for a "bad block" check,
    as if a block is bad, the copy will stop. You can also do a bad block
    scan with HDTune 2.55 . This shows you roughly where the trouble is.
    The device here is seriously ill :-) I give that about 5 minutes to live.

https://filestore.community.support.microsoft.com/api/images/7563d887-a2a0-4658-91f8-bdb5c9381deb?upload=true

The HDTune benchmark, works up to 2TB or so. The HDTune bad block
    scan on the other hand, should scan the entire disk drive.

The pictures of defragmentation, come from here:

JkDefrag-3.36.zip

JkDefrag64-3.36.zip

( https://web.archive.org/web/20150107024505/https://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/ )

A scan is done from an Administrator terminal.

jkdefrag -a 1 -d 2 Z: # Scan for fragments. JKDefrag.log in the folder, is the result.
    # Wait for the file size to stop increasing, before opening with Notepad.
    # When you close the graphical window, it isn't actually stopped running.
    # And when the graphics window is gone, it starts writing JKDefrag.log .

jkdefrag -a 5 -d 2 Z: # Pack all files towards bottom of screen.
    # Useful only on specific occasions.

jkdefrag -a 2 -d 2 Z: # Defragment Z: (useful right after Windows defragment finishes)

As far as WIndows Defragmentation goes, the Optimize dialog sometimes "refuses" your lawful command. To put an end to that nonsense and run it anyway,
    in the Administrator terminal, try this.

defrag Z: # Windows defragmenter (doesn't defrag files over 50MB in size)
    jkdefrag -a 2 -d 2 Z: # Do a Kessel run, and the stragglers will be fixed up :-)

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Carlos E. R.@21:1/5 to Ed Cryer on Sat Jun 1 23:17:15 2024
    On 2024-06-01 15:38, Ed Cryer wrote:

Defragging a disk that size takes days; I don't know of a defragger more intelligent than the antique method of serial iteration, sector by

percent fragmentation.

Viable or not?

A file copy of everything certainly defragments the disk as a by product.

I am assuming rotating rust.

Warning: there may be filesystems that keep structures listing the
    deleted sectors, akin to files, and these could mean that the disk would
    not appear to the os as a huge block of empty and available sectors. So,
    a format (quick) would be in order. Just make sure to format the right
    one ;-)

Or, you could alternate the disks, and use the new one instead of the
    old, which would act as a backup disk now.

--
    Cheers,
    Carlos E.R.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Char Jackson@21:1/5 to Ed Cryer on Sat Jun 1 21:37:46 2024
    On Sat, 1 Jun 2024 14:38:05 +0100, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

I know it's not what you're asking, but I'd be very surprised to learn that fragmentation is an issue in 2024, specifically that it's responsible for a noticeable drop in performance. My best guess would be that something else entirely is responsible, possibly something with the drive itself. How does SMART look?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul in Houston TX@21:1/5 to Ed Cryer on Sat Jun 1 23:36:27 2024
    Ed Cryer wrote:

percent fragmentation.

Viable or not?

Ed

Defrag used to use empty disk space. Don't know if it still does that
    now or uses ram instead, but if the disk is almost full and it needs to
    use empty space then defrag will take forever.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ed Cryer@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jun 2 10:26:16 2024
    UGF1bCB3cm90ZToNCj4gT24gNi8xLzIwMjQgMTI6MTIgUE0sIEVkIENyeWVyIHdyb3RlOg0K Pj4gQmlnIEFsIHdyb3RlOg0KPj4+IE9uIDYvMS8yNCAwOTozOCBBTSwgRWQgQ3J5ZXIgd3Jv dGU6DQo+Pj4+IEkgaGF2ZSBhIDJUQiBleHRlcm5hbCBIRCAoc3Bpbm5lcikgd2hpY2ggaG9s ZHMgTWFjcml1bSBhbmQgV2luZG93cyBpbWFnZXMsIHBsdXMgYmFja3VwcyBvZiBteSBtdXNp YyBEQi4gSSdtIGNvbnN0YW50bHkgdXBkYXRpbmcgaXQgKGRlbGV0aW5nIG9sZCBpbWFnZXMg YW5kIGFkZGluZyBuZXcgb25lcykuIEl0J3Mgbm93IGdvdCB0byB0aGUgc3RhZ2Ugd2hlcmUg TWFjcml1bSB0YWtlcyBtdWNoIGxvbmdlciB0aGFuIGl0IHNob3VsZC4NCj4+Pj4NCj4+Pj4g SXQncyBiZWNvbWUgdmVyeSBmcmFnbWVudGVkLCBhbmQgdGhlIHdoeSBpcyBvYnZpb3VzLg0K Pj4+Pg0KPj4+PiBEZWZyYWdnaW5nIGEgZGlzayB0aGF0IHNpemUgdGFrZXMgZGF5czsgSSBk b24ndCBrbm93IG9mIGEgZGVmcmFnZ2VyIG1vcmUgaW50ZWxsaWdlbnQgdGhhbiB0aGUgYW50 aXF1ZSBtZXRob2Qgb2Ygc2VyaWFsIGl0ZXJhdGlvbiwgc2VjdG9yIGJ5IHNlY3RvcjsgbW92 ZSBibG9ja3MgdG8gYSBsYXktYnksIGNsb3NlIHVwIHRoZSBnYXAsIG1vdmUgYmxvY2tzIGJh Y2suDQo+Pj4+DQo+Pj4+IE5vdyB0aGVuLCB3aGF0IGFib3V0IGEgc2ltcGxlIGNvcHk/IEkg Z2V0IGFuIGVtcHR5IEhELCBjb3B5IHRoZSBsaXZlIG9uZSB0byBpdCwgZm9ybWF0IHRoZSBs aXZlIG9uZSwgY29weSBiYWNrLiBFdmVyeXRoaW5nIHNob3VsZCBoYXZlIHplcm8gcGVyY2Vu dCBmcmFnbWVudGF0aW9uLg0KPj4+Pg0KPj4+PiBWaWFibGUgb3Igbm90Pw0KPj4+Pg0KPj4+ PiBFZA0KPj4+IERvIHlvdSB0dXJuIG9uIHRoZSBvcHRpbWl6YXRpb24gYnVpbHQgaW50byB3 aW5kb3dzP8KgIEl0IG1pZ2h0IGhlbHAgb24gdGhlIGxvbmcgcnVuLg0KPj4+DQo+Pj4gSSB1 c2UgYSBkZWZyYWdnZXIgY2FsbGVkICdteSBkZWZyYWcnLsKgwqAgSXQncyBubyBsb25nZXIg d29ya2VkIG9uIGJ1dCBpdCB3b3Jrcy7CoCBJdCBoYXMgMyBtb2RlcywgZGFpbHksIHdlZWts eSwgbW9udGhseS7CoMKgIFRoZSBkYWlseSBkb2VzIGFzIGxpdHRsZSBhcyBwb3NzaWJsZSwg ZGVmcmFnICsgYSBiaXQuwqDCoCBXZWVrbHkgZG9lcyBhIGJpdCBtb3JlLCBtb250aGx5IG9i dmlvdXNseSBpcyB2ZXJ5IGludGVuc2UgYW5kIHNvcnRzIHRoZSBmaWxlcyBhcyB3ZWxsIGFz IGRlZnJhZy7CoMKgIFRoZSBsYXR0ZXIgd291bGQgdGFrZSBmb3JldmVyIG9uIDJUQi4NCj4+ Pg0KPj4+IE5vdCB0aGlzIHByb2dyYW0gYnV0IGlmIHlvdSB1c2VkIGFueSBkZWZyYWdnZXIg YW5kIHJ1biBpdCB3ZWVrbHkgbWF5YmUgaXQgd291bGRuJ3QgYmUgc28gYmFkLg0KPj4+IEhv dyBhYm91dCBwYXJ0aXRpb25pbmcgdGhlIGRyaXZlIGFuZCBwdXQgbWFjcml1bSBvbiBvbmUg c2VjdGlvbiBhbmQgb3RoZXIsIG1vcmUgc3RhdGljIGZpbGVzLCBvbiB0aGUgb3RoZXIgcGFy dGl0aW9uP8KgwqAgTWFjcml1bSB3b3VsZCBmcmFnLCBidXQgYmUgbGVzcyB0byBkZWZyYWcu DQo+Pg0KPj4gSSBkb3dubG9hZGVkIHRoZSBsYXRlc3QgdmVyc2lvbjsgNC4zLjEuIEJ1dCB0 aGUgZm9sZGVyIGFscmVhZHkgZXhpc3RlZCB3aGVuIEkgY2FtZSB0byBpbnN0YWxsIGl0LiBE b24ndCBrbm93IGhvdyBsb25nIEkndmUgaGFkIGl0IHJlc2lkZW50Lg0KPj4gU28gSSByYW4g aXQsIHNlbGVjdGVkIHRoZSBIRCBmb3IgYW5hbHlzaXMsIGdvdCBsb3RzIG9mIGNvbG91ciBz cGxhdHRlcmVkIGFjcm9zcyB0aGUgc2NyZWVuLCB0aGVuIGl0IHdlbnQgaW50byBwYXVzZSBt b2RlLCB0ZWxsaW5nIG1lIHRvIGhpdCBzcGFjZSBiYXIuIEkgZGlkIHRoYXQsIGFuZCBpdCBj cmFzaGVkLg0KPj4gSSByYW4gaXQgYWdhaW4sIHNhbWUgb3V0Y29tZS4NCj4+DQo+PiBJIHRo aW5rIEknbGwgZm9sbG93IHlvdXIgcGFydGl0aW9uIGFkdmljZS4NCj4+DQo+PiBFZA0KPiAN Cj4gSG93IG1hbnkgZHJpdmVzIGRvIHlvdSBvd24gPw0KPiANCj4gSG93IG1hbnkgZHJpdmVz IGhhdmUgc3BhY2UgdG8gd29yayB3aXRoID8gOi0pICBbTXkgYW5zd2VyIGlzICJhYm91dCBv bmUgZHJpdmUiLi4uXQ0KPiANCj4gSWYgeW91IGJhY2sgdXAgYSAyVEIgcGFydGl0aW9uIHdp dGggTWFjcml1bSwgdGhlbiBkdXJpbmcNCj4gcmVzdG9yZSAoYmFjayB0byB0aGUgb3JpZ2lu YWwgZHJpdmUpLCB5b3UgcmVzaXplIHVzaW5nIHRoZQ0KPiBhZGp1c3RtZW50IGZlYXR1cmUg YXQgdGhlIGJvdHRvbSwgYW5kIG1ha2UgdGhlIHBhcnRpdGlvbg0KPiAxLjlUQiwgTWFjcml1 bSBkdXJpbmcgcmVzdG9yYXRpb24gZG9lcyBhIGRlZnJhZ21lbnQuIEl0IHRvb2sNCj4gcXVp dGUgYSB3aGlsZSB0byBnZW5lcmF0ZSB0aGVzZSBwaWN0dXJlcyAocGlja2VkIHRoZSB3cm9u Zw0KPiBNUklNRyB0byBwbGF5IHdpdGgpLg0KPiANCj4gICAgIFtQaWN0dXJlXQ0KPiANCj4g ICAgICBodHRwczovL2kucG9zdGltZy5jYy94OFdxWVpXNy9tYWNyaXVtLWFzLWRlZnJhZ21l bnRlci1vbi1yZXN0b3JlLmdpZg0KPiANCj4gQnV0IG9mIGNvdXJzZSwgY29weWluZyB0aGUg ZmlsZXMgb2ZmIHRoZSBiYWNrdXAgZHJpdmUsDQo+IHRvIGFub3RoZXIgZHJpdmUsIGFuZCBi YWNrIGFnYWluICgid2FzaCBhbmQgcmluc2UiKSwgZG9lcw0KPiB0aGUgc2FtZSB0aGluZy4N Cj4gDQo+IFRoZSBkaWZmZXJlbmNlIGlzLCBtYWtpbmcgYSBiYWNrdXAgb2YgdGhlIGJhY2t1 cCBkcml2ZSwgaXMNCj4gYSAic2FmZXR5IHN0ZXAiLCBmb3IganVzdCBpbiBjYXNlLg0KPiAN Cj4gQm90aCBvcGVyYXRpb25zIGNoZWNrIGZvciBiYWQgYmxvY2tzIHdpdGhpbiB0aGUgZGF0 YSBmaWxlcw0KPiBiZWluZyB0cmFuc2ZlcnJlZC4gSW4gdGhlIGNhc2Ugb2YgTWFjcml1bSwg aXQgd291bGQgYmUgY2hlY2tpbmcNCj4gdGhlIGJhZCBibG9jayBzdGF0dXMgb2YgZXZlcnkg Y2x1c3RlciBwbGFjZWQgaW4gdGhlIC5tcmltZy4NCj4gDQo+IEl0J3MgcXVpdGUgcG9zc2li bGUgdGhlIDJUQiBXRCBQYXNzcG9ydCBpcyBvbiBpdHMgbGFzdCBsZWdzLg0KPiANCj4gSWYg aXQgaXMgYSAibmF0aXZlIFVTQiIgZHJpdmUsIHRoZW4gdGhlcmUgbWlnaHQgbm90IGJlDQo+ IHBhc3N0aHJ1IGZvciBTTUFSVC4gVGhlIEhlYWx0aCB0YWIgb24gSERUdW5lIHRlbGxzIHlv dQ0KPiB3aGV0aGVyIFNNQVJUIGlzICJ2aXNpYmxlIiB0byB0aGUgT1Mgb3Igbm90Lg0KPiAN Cj4gICAgIGh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmhkdHVuZS5jb20vZmlsZXMvaGR0dW5lXzI1NS5leGUNCj4g DQo+ICoqKioqKioNCj4gDQo+IE9uZSBvZiB0aGUgdGhpbmdzIEkgd291bGQgZG8sIGlzICJj aGtkc2sgL2YgIFo6ICIgYW5kDQo+IHNlZSBpZiB5b3VyIGJhY2t1cCBkcml2ZSBaOiBpcyBP SyBvciBub3QuIFRoZSAvZiBpcyBmb3IgImZpeCIuDQo+IFlvdSBjYW4gYWxzbyBkbyAiY2hr ZHNrIFo6ICIgYW5kIGp1c3QgZ2V0IGFuIGluZGljYXRpb24gb2Ygd2hldGhlcg0KPiBhIHJl cGFpciBpcyBuZWVkZWQuDQo+IA0KPiAgICAgY2hrZHNrIFo6ICAgICAgICMgc2NhbiBmb3Ig aGVhbHRoDQo+ICAgICBjaGtkc2sgL2YgWjogICAgIyBzY2FuIGFuZCBmaXggKHRvIGJlIHJ1 biwgaWYgZmlyc3Qgb25lIHNob3dzIGEgbmVlZCB0byBmaXgpDQo+IA0KPiBPbiByYXJlIG9j Y2FzaW9ucywgdGhlIGZpcnN0IHNjYW4gZ2l2ZXMgYSBwZXJmZWN0IGhlYWx0aCByZXBvcnQs DQo+IHlldCB0aGUgZml4IG9wdGlvbiBhY3R1YWxseSBmaXhlcyBzb21ldGhpbmcgOi0pIEFs d2F5cyBrZWVwDQo+IGFuIG9wcG9uZW50IG9mZiBiYWxhbmNlLCBuZXZlciBsZXQgeW91ciBv cHBvbmVudCBmZWVsICJzYWZlIg0KPiBvciAic2V0dGxlZCIuIEEgZmV3IGN1cnZlIGJhbGxz IGFyZSB3aGF0IGNvbXB1dGVycyBhcmUgZ29vZCBhdC4NCj4gDQo+IFdoZW4gYSBkcml2ZSBo YXMgcG90ZW50aWFsIGhlYWx0aCBpc3N1ZXMgKGNyYW5reSksIHlvdSBkb24ndCB3YW50IHRv IGdpdmUNCj4gaXQgcm9wZSB0byBoYW5nIGl0c2VsZi4gSWYgdGhlIGRyaXZlLCBmb3IgZXhh bXBsZSwgdGFrZXMgeW9ua3MNCj4gdG8gc2NhbiBpbiB0aGUgZmlyc3QgY2FzZSwgeW91J2Qg YmUgdHJ5aW5nIHRvIGdldCBIRFR1bmUgU01BUlQNCj4gdG8gdGVsbCB5b3Ugd2hldGhlciBp dCBpcyBoZWFsdGh5IG9yIG5vdC4NCj4gDQo+IENvcHlpbmcgZnJvbSBkcml2ZSB0byBkcml2 ZSwgYWxzbyBnaXZlcyBhIGNoYW5jZSBmb3IgYSAiYmFkIGJsb2NrIiBjaGVjaywNCj4gYXMg aWYgYSBibG9jayBpcyBiYWQsIHRoZSBjb3B5IHdpbGwgc3RvcC4gWW91IGNhbiBhbHNvIGRv IGEgYmFkIGJsb2NrDQo+IHNjYW4gd2l0aCBIRFR1bmUgMi41NSAuIFRoaXMgc2hvd3MgeW91 IHJvdWdobHkgd2hlcmUgdGhlIHRyb3VibGUgaXMuDQo+IFRoZSBkZXZpY2UgaGVyZSBpcyBz ZXJpb3VzbHkgaWxsIDotKSBJIGdpdmUgdGhhdCBhYm91dCA1IG1pbnV0ZXMgdG8gbGl2ZS4N Cj4gDQo+ICAgICBodHRwczovL2ZpbGVzdG9yZS5jb21tdW5pdHkuc3VwcG9ydC5taWNyb3Nv ZnQuY29tL2FwaS9pbWFnZXMvNzU2M2Q4ODctYTJhMC00NjU4LTkxZjgtYmRiNWM5MzgxZGVi P3VwbG9hZD10cnVlDQo+IA0KPiBUaGUgSERUdW5lIGJlbmNobWFyaywgd29ya3MgdXAgdG8g MlRCIG9yIHNvLiBUaGUgSERUdW5lIGJhZCBibG9jaw0KPiBzY2FuIG9uIHRoZSBvdGhlciBo YW5kLCBzaG91bGQgc2NhbiB0aGUgZW50aXJlIGRpc2sgZHJpdmUuDQo+IA0KPiAqKioqKioq DQo+IA0KPiBUaGUgcGljdHVyZXMgb2YgZGVmcmFnbWVudGF0aW9uLCBjb21lIGZyb20gaGVy ZToNCj4gDQo+ICAgICAgIEprRGVmcmFnLTMuMzYuemlwDQo+IA0KPiAgICAgICBKa0RlZnJh ZzY0LTMuMzYuemlwDQo+IA0KPiAgICAgKCBodHRwczovL3dlYi5hcmNoaXZlLm9yZy93ZWIv MjAxNTAxMDcwMjQ1MDUvaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cua2Vzc2Vscy5jb20vSmtEZWZyYWcvICkNCj4g DQo+IEEgc2NhbiBpcyBkb25lIGZyb20gYW4gQWRtaW5pc3RyYXRvciB0ZXJtaW5hbC4NCj4g DQo+ICAgICBqa2RlZnJhZyAtYSAxIC1kIDIgICBaOiAgICAgIyBTY2FuIGZvciBmcmFnbWVu dHMuIEpLRGVmcmFnLmxvZyBpbiB0aGUgZm9sZGVyLCBpcyB0aGUgcmVzdWx0Lg0KPiAgICAg ICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICMgV2FpdCBmb3IgdGhlIGZpbGUgc2l6ZSB0 byBzdG9wIGluY3JlYXNpbmcsIGJlZm9yZSBvcGVuaW5nIHdpdGggTm90ZXBhZC4NCj4gICAg ICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAjIFdoZW4geW91IGNsb3NlIHRoZSBncmFw aGljYWwgd2luZG93LCBpdCBpc24ndCBhY3R1YWxseSBzdG9wcGVkIHJ1bm5pbmcuDQo+ICAg ICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgIyBBbmQgd2hlbiB0aGUgZ3JhcGhpY3Mg d2luZG93IGlzIGdvbmUsIGl0IHN0YXJ0cyB3cml0aW5nIEpLRGVmcmFnLmxvZyAuDQo+IA0K PiAgICAgamtkZWZyYWcgLWEgNSAtZCAyICAgWjogICAgICMgUGFjayBhbGwgZmlsZXMgdG93 YXJkcyBib3R0b20gb2Ygc2NyZWVuLg0KPiAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAg ICAgICMgVXNlZnVsIG9ubHkgb24gc3BlY2lmaWMgb2NjYXNpb25zLg0KPiANCj4gICAgIGpr ZGVmcmFnIC1hIDIgLWQgMiAgIFo6ICAgICAjIERlZnJhZ21lbnQgWjogICh1c2VmdWwgcmln aHQgYWZ0ZXIgV2luZG93cyBkZWZyYWdtZW50IGZpbmlzaGVzKQ0KPiANCj4gQXMgZmFyIGFz IFdJbmRvd3MgRGVmcmFnbWVudGF0aW9uIGdvZXMsIHRoZSBPcHRpbWl6ZSBkaWFsb2cgc29t ZXRpbWVzICJyZWZ1c2VzIg0KPiB5b3VyIGxhd2Z1bCBjb21tYW5kLiBUbyBwdXQgYW4gZW5k IHRvIHRoYXQgbm9uc2Vuc2UgYW5kIHJ1biBpdCBhbnl3YXksDQo+IGluIHRoZSBBZG1pbmlz dHJhdG9yIHRlcm1pbmFsLCB0cnkgdGhpcy4NCj4gDQo+ICAgICBkZWZyYWcgIFo6ICAgICAg ICAgICAgICAgICAgIyBXaW5kb3dzIGRlZnJhZ21lbnRlciAoZG9lc24ndCBkZWZyYWcgZmls ZXMgb3ZlciA1ME1CIGluIHNpemUpDQo+ICAgICBqa2RlZnJhZyAtYSAyIC1kIDIgIFo6ICAg ICAgIyBEbyBhIEtlc3NlbCBydW4sIGFuZCB0aGUgc3RyYWdnbGVycyB3aWxsIGJlIGZpeGVk IHVwIDotKQ0KPiANCj4gICAgICBQYXVsDQoNCg0KQzpcV0lORE9XU1xzeXN0ZW0zMj5jaGtk c2sgSjogL2YNClRoZSB0eXBlIG9mIHRoZSBmaWxlIHN5c3RlbSBpcyBOVEZTLg0KVm9sdW1l IGxhYmVsIGlzIFVTQi0yVEItcmVkLg0KDQpTdGFnZSAxOiBFeGFtaW5pbmcgYmFzaWMgZmls ZSBzeXN0ZW0gc3RydWN0dXJlIC4uLg0KICAgNjUyODAgZmlsZSByZWNvcmRzIHByb2Nlc3Nl ZC4NCkZpbGUgdmVyaWZpY2F0aW9uIGNvbXBsZXRlZC4NCiAgUGhhc2UgZHVyYXRpb24gKEZp bGUgcmVjb3JkIHZlcmlmaWNhdGlvbik6IDQuMDMgc2Vjb25kcy4NCiAgIDE0IGxhcmdlIGZp bGUgcmVjb3JkcyBwcm9jZXNzZWQuDQogIFBoYXNlIGR1cmF0aW9uIChPcnBoYW4gZmlsZSBy ZWNvcmQgcmVjb3ZlcnkpOiAwLjAwIG1pbGxpc2Vjb25kcy4NCiAgIDAgYmFkIGZpbGUgcmVj b3JkcyBwcm9jZXNzZWQuDQogIFBoYXNlIGR1cmF0aW9uIChCYWQgZmlsZSByZWNvcmQgY2hl Y2tpbmcpOiAwLjU5IG1pbGxpc2Vjb25kcy4NCg0KU3RhZ2UgMjogRXhhbWluaW5nIGZpbGUg bmFtZSBsaW5rYWdlIC4uLg0KICAgMTAzIHJlcGFyc2UgcmVjb3JkcyBwcm9jZXNzZWQuDQog ICA3Mzg4NiBpbmRleCBlbnRyaWVzIHByb2Nlc3NlZC4NCkluZGV4IHZlcmlmaWNhdGlvbiBj b21wbGV0ZWQuDQogIFBoYXNlIGR1cmF0aW9uIChJbmRleCB2ZXJpZmljYXRpb24pOiA0Mi42 MiBzZWNvbmRzLg0KICAgMCB1bmluZGV4ZWQgZmlsZXMgc2Nhbm5lZC4NCiAgUGhhc2UgZHVy YXRpb24gKE9ycGhhbiByZWNvbm5lY3Rpb24pOiAxMS43OSBtaWxsaXNlY29uZHMuDQogICAw IHVuaW5kZXhlZCBmaWxlcyByZWNvdmVyZWQgdG8gbG9zdCBhbmQgZm91bmQuDQogIFBoYXNl IGR1cmF0aW9uIChPcnBoYW4gcmVjb3ZlcnkgdG8gbG9zdCBhbmQgZm91bmQpOiAxLjI4IG1p bGxpc2Vjb25kcy4NCiAgIDEwMyByZXBhcnNlIHJlY29yZHMgcHJvY2Vzc2VkLg0KICBQaGFz ZSBkdXJhdGlvbiAoUmVwYXJzZSBwb2ludCBhbmQgT2JqZWN0IElEIHZlcmlmaWNhdGlvbik6 IDIuMTMgDQptaWxsaXNlY29uZHMuDQoNClN0YWdlIDM6IEV4YW1pbmluZyBzZWN1cml0eSBk ZXNjcmlwdG9ycyAuLi4NClNlY3VyaXR5IGRlc2NyaXB0b3IgdmVyaWZpY2F0aW9uIGNvbXBs ZXRlZC4NCiAgUGhhc2UgZHVyYXRpb24gKFNlY3VyaXR5IGRlc2NyaXB0b3IgdmVyaWZpY2F0 aW9uKTogMjQuNjIgbWlsbGlzZWNvbmRzLg0KICAgNDMwNCBkYXRhIGZpbGVzIHByb2Nlc3Nl ZC4NCiAgUGhhc2UgZHVyYXRpb24gKERhdGEgYXR0cmlidXRlIHZlcmlmaWNhdGlvbik6IDAu ODAgbWlsbGlzZWNvbmRzLg0KQ0hLRFNLIGlzIHZlcmlmeWluZyBVc24gSm91cm5hbC4uLg0K ICAgNTk4ODAwMCBVU04gYnl0ZXMgcHJvY2Vzc2VkLg0KVXNuIEpvdXJuYWwgdmVyaWZpY2F0 aW9uIGNvbXBsZXRlZC4NCiAgUGhhc2UgZHVyYXRpb24gKFVTTiBqb3VybmFsIHZlcmlmaWNh dGlvbik6IDUzNy44NSBtaWxsaXNlY29uZHMuDQoNCldpbmRvd3MgaGFzIHNjYW5uZWQgdGhl IGZpbGUgc3lzdGVtIGFuZCBmb3VuZCBubyBwcm9ibGVtcy4NCk5vIGZ1cnRoZXIgYWN0aW9u IGlzIHJlcXVpcmVkLg0KDQoxOTUzNTEzNTU5IEtCIHRvdGFsIGRpc2sgc3BhY2UuDQoxNjA2 NTQ3NjI4IEtCIGluIDYwNzkwIGZpbGVzLg0KICAgICAgMTk1MjAgS0IgaW4gNDMwNSBpbmRl eGVzLg0KICAgICAgICAgIDAgS0IgaW4gYmFkIHNlY3RvcnMuDQogICAgIDE5Njc0MyBLQiBp biB1c2UgYnkgdGhlIHN5c3RlbS4NCiAgICAgIDY1NTM2IEtCIG9jY3VwaWVkIGJ5IHRoZSBs b2cgZmlsZS4NCiAgMzQ2NzQ5NjY4IEtCIGF2YWlsYWJsZSBvbiBkaXNrLg0KDQogICAgICAg NDA5NiBieXRlcyBpbiBlYWNoIGFsbG9jYXRpb24gdW5pdC4NCiAgNDg4Mzc4Mzg5IHRvdGFs IGFsbG9jYXRpb24gdW5pdHMgb24gZGlzay4NCiAgIDg2Njg3NDE3IGFsbG9jYXRpb24gdW5p dHMgYXZhaWxhYmxlIG9uIGRpc2suDQpUb3RhbCBkdXJhdGlvbjogNDcuMzEgc2Vjb25kcyAo NDczMTAgbXMpLg0KDQpDOlxXSU5ET1dTXHN5c3RlbTMyPg0KDQoqKioqKioqKioqKioqKioq KioqKioNCg0KSXQgYWxsIGxvb2tzIGZpbmUgdG8gbWUuIEkgdHJlYXQgbXkgZGlza3Mgd2l0 aCBjYXJlLiBUaGUgY2hrZHNrIHdhcyANCnJlbWFya2FibHkgc3dpZnQsIGxpa2UgYSBrbmlm ZSB0aHJvdWdoIGJ1dHRlci4NCg0KSSBoYXZlIGEgcHJlZmVyYWJsZSBpZGVhLg0KU2luY2Ug dGhlIGZpbGVzIGFyZSBtZXJlIGJhY2t1cHMgKEdyYW5kZmF0aGVyLCBmYXRoZXIsIHNvbiBz dHlsZSksIA0KdGhleSdsbCBzb29uIGJlY29tZSByZWR1bmRhbnQuIFRoZXJlZm9yZSBJIGdl dCBhIG5ldyAyVEIgZGlzayBhbmQgc3RhcnQgDQpvdmVyIG9udG8gdGhhdC4gQW5kIHdoZW4g SSBoYXZlIDMgdmVyc2lvbnMgb24gdGhhdCBkaXNrLCBJIGRlZnJhZyB0aGUgDQptdXNpYyBE QiwgY29weSB0aGF0IG91dCwgZm9ybWF0IHRoZSBvbGQgZGlzay4NCg0KRWQNCg==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ed Cryer@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jun 2 11:54:38 2024
    RWQgQ3J5ZXIgd3JvdGU6DQo+IFBhdWwgd3JvdGU6DQpJIGhhZCBhIGxpZ2h0IGNvbWUgb24g b3ZlciBteSBoZWFkLCBsaWtlIHdpdGggdGhhdCBhcGVtYW4gaW4gMjAwMSBTcGFjZSANCk9k eXNzZXkgd2hlbiBoZSBzdHJva2VzIHRoZSBhbGllbiBtb25vbGl0aC4gTHVja2lseSBpdCB3 YXNuJ3QgDQphY2NvbXBhbmllZCB3aXRoIG11c2ljIGJ5IEd5w7ZyZ3kgTGlnZXRpICAoOi0N CkFueXdheSwgaGVyZSdzIHRoZSBpbnNpZ2h0Lg0KVGhlcmUgYXJlIG1vcmUgZmFjdG9ycyBp bnZvbHZlZCBoZXJlIHRoYW4ganVzdCB0aGUgZXh0ZXJuYWwgVVNCIGRpc2suIA0KVGhlcmUn cyB0aGUgaW50ZXJuYWwgU1NELCBNYWNyaXVtIHByb2dyYW0sIGNvbXB1dGVyIENQVSBldGMu DQpTbyBJIGRlY2lkZWQgdG8gcnVuIGEgYmFja3VwIHdpdGggYWxsIG1vbml0b3JpbmcgYXZh aWxhYmxlIGxvY2FsbHkuDQpJIHJhbiBpdCwgYW5kIGl0IHdvcmtlZCBwZXJmZWN0bHk7IHRv cCBzcGVlZCwgQ1BVIHRlbXAgbmV2ZXIgZXhjZWVkaW5nIDM1wrBDLg0KDQpXaGF0ZXZlciBz bG93ZWQgaXQgbGFzdCB0aW1lIGFwcGVhcnMgdG8gaGF2ZSBnb25lIGF3YXkuIEFuZCBJJ3Zl IGRvbmUgbm8gDQptb3JlIHRoYW4gcnVuIHRoZSBVU0IgZGlzayB0aHJvdWdoICJjaGtkc2sg L2YiLiBNYXliZSB0aGF0IHByb2Nlc3MgDQpjbGVhcmVkIHNvbWUgcGFzc2FnZXdheS4NCg0K RWQNCg0K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul@21:1/5 to Ed Cryer on Sun Jun 2 14:14:57 2024
    On 6/2/2024 6:54 AM, Ed Cryer wrote:
    Ed Cryer wrote:
    Paul wrote:
    I had a light come on over my head, like with that apeman in 2001 Space Odyssey when he strokes the alien monolith. Luckily it wasn't accompanied with music by György Ligeti  (:-
    Anyway, here's the insight.
    There are more factors involved here than just the external USB disk. There's the internal SSD, Macrium program, computer CPU etc.
    So I decided to run a backup with all monitoring available locally.
    I ran it, and it worked perfectly; top speed, CPU temp never exceeding 35°C.

Whatever slowed it last time appears to have gone away. And I've done no more than run the USB disk through "chkdsk /f". Maybe that process cleared some passageway.

Ed

Perhaps it has reallocated the troublesome sectors, during the
    writes of the last backup. You can't really see that in the
    Health tab in HDTune, unless the disk is in serious trouble.
    And since you don't currently have a speed problem, I would
    guess you're fine.

The reason you cannot see it, is the Reallocated raw data is
    not "linear". If there are fewer than 100,000 reallocations,
    the readout reads "0". It lies. Once it goes past that,
    it shows numbers that might be individual reallocations.

One drive here, it looks like there might be 5500 spare sectors
    left, when the indicator goes non-zero. And that number of
    spares is presumed to be enough for the user to get their
    data off the drive. It assumes "something" warns the user.
    Well, I have never seen the various warning mechanisms
    work here. No BIOS popup. No Windows popup.

You should at least use HDTune and select the Health tab, and
    see if the USB drive can pass statistics or not. If the table
    remains blank, it means you have less information as to how
    it is doing in there. USB flash sticks, for example, the table
    remains blank, and that's an example of a "poor technology"
    that needs all the help it can get. The USB flash stick could
    really use a SMART table. The HDTune free version 2.55, does not
    display SSD statistics, only HDD statistics read more or less
    properly.

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul@21:1/5 to Paul in Houston TX on Sun Jun 2 14:34:53 2024
    On 6/2/2024 12:36 AM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
    Ed Cryer wrote:
    I have a 2TB external HD (spinner) which holds Macrium and Windows images, plus backups of my music DB. I'm constantly updating it (deleting old images and adding new ones). It's now got to the stage where Macrium takes much longer than it should.

Defragging a disk that size takes days; I don't know of a defragger more intelligent than the antique method of serial iteration, sector by sector; move blocks to a lay-by, close up the gap, move blocks back.

Now then, what about a simple copy? I get an empty HD, copy the live one to it, format the live one, copy back. Everything should have zero percent fragmentation.

Viable or not?

Ed

Defrag used to use empty disk space.  Don't know if it still does that now or uses ram instead, but if the disk is almost full and it needs to use empty space then defrag will take forever.

There is some minimum "free space" requirement on a partition,
    for defragmentation to work. Whereas if a disk drive was
    "100 percent full", you could attempt to copy the data files
    to another storage device, format the original partition,
    then copy the files back.

The reason that cannot be fragment-free, the disk copy, is
    there is a "reserved area" on NTFS, the size of the "reserved area"
    changes as the partition fills. If the "writer" hits the
    reserved area, it jumps over, and this causes a purposeful
    fragment (that we can blame on the "reserved feature"). Even
    if you resort to copying the data off and copying it back,
    that's a problem. It means typically, the copy method is not
    entirely free, and if the partition is too full, the defrag call
    may fail to run when it sees that.

If you made the original partition double the size you actually
    wanted, then copied the files back onto it, then used Disk Management
    to shrink the partition, you *might* impress your friends with a
    fragment-free partition. If you shrink the partition right down
    to nothing, then you can lie to people about how you defragmented
    with zero spare space :-) But most of the time, there just
    isn't spare unallocated area on the drive, for such tricks, and
    you have to expect some fragments when the disk is getting full.

Another comedic situation, is the defragmenter can be tasked
    with moving an object, which takes up more than 50% of the
    partition. The defragmenter will copy the stupid thing over
    and over again, and the "blocks display" will show the
    object "moving up the screen" in a vain attempt to defrag it.

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul in Houston TX@21:1/5 to Paul on Sun Jun 2 13:48:10 2024
    Paul wrote:
    On 6/2/2024 12:36 AM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
    Ed Cryer wrote:

Viable or not?

Ed

Defrag used to use empty disk space.  Don't know if it still does that now or uses ram instead, but if the disk is almost full and it needs to use empty space then defrag will take forever.

There is some minimum "free space" requirement on a partition,
    for defragmentation to work. Whereas if a disk drive was
    "100 percent full", you could attempt to copy the data files
    to another storage device, format the original partition,
    then copy the files back.

The reason that cannot be fragment-free, the disk copy, is
    there is a "reserved area" on NTFS, the size of the "reserved area"
    changes as the partition fills. If the "writer" hits the
    reserved area, it jumps over, and this causes a purposeful
    fragment (that we can blame on the "reserved feature"). Even
    if you resort to copying the data off and copying it back,
    that's a problem. It means typically, the copy method is not
    entirely free, and if the partition is too full, the defrag call
    may fail to run when it sees that.

If you made the original partition double the size you actually
    wanted, then copied the files back onto it, then used Disk Management
    to shrink the partition, you *might* impress your friends with a fragment-free partition. If you shrink the partition right down
    to nothing, then you can lie to people about how you defragmented
    with zero spare space :-) But most of the time, there just
    isn't spare unallocated area on the drive, for such tricks, and
    you have to expect some fragments when the disk is getting full.

Another comedic situation, is the defragmenter can be tasked
    with moving an object, which takes up more than 50% of the
    partition. The defragmenter will copy the stupid thing over
    and over again, and the "blocks display" will show the
    object "moving up the screen" in a vain attempt to defrag it.

Paul

Interesting! Thank you, Paul Nospam.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Carlos E.R.@21:1/5 to Char Jackson on Sun Jun 2 21:23:59 2024
    On 2024-06-02 04:37, Char Jackson wrote:
    On Sat, 1 Jun 2024 14:38:05 +0100, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

I know it's not what you're asking, but I'd be very surprised to learn that fragmentation is an issue in 2024, specifically that it's responsible for a noticeable drop in performance. My best guess would be that something else entirely is responsible, possibly something with the drive itself. How does SMART look?

2024? It would be true for SSD disks, but his are mechanical.

--
    Cheers, Carlos.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Char Jackson@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jun 2 19:08:16 2024
    On Sun, 2 Jun 2024 21:23:59 +0200, "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

On Sat, 1 Jun 2024 14:38:05 +0100, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote: >>

I know it's not what you're asking, but I'd be very surprised to learn that >> fragmentation is an issue in 2024, specifically that it's responsible for a >> noticeable drop in performance. My best guess would be that something else >> entirely is responsible, possibly something with the drive itself. How does >> SMART look?

2024?

Yes. I double checked just now, and 2024 is indeed the current year. ;-)

It would be true for SSD disks, but his are mechanical.

I know his are mechanical, that's what 'spinner' means, and I haven't seen or heard of a case of fragmentation that's so severe that it noticeably affects disk performance since the mid to late 1990s. That's why I suggested that something else was in play. I see by Ed's latest post that, indeed, nothing was seriously wrong with his external drive. That is as I expected.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul@21:1/5 to Char Jackson on Sun Jun 2 22:30:43 2024
    On 6/2/2024 8:08 PM, Char Jackson wrote:
    On Sun, 2 Jun 2024 21:23:59 +0200, "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

On Sat, 1 Jun 2024 14:38:05 +0100, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote: >>>

I know it's not what you're asking, but I'd be very surprised to learn that >>> fragmentation is an issue in 2024, specifically that it's responsible for a >>> noticeable drop in performance. My best guess would be that something else >>> entirely is responsible, possibly something with the drive itself. How does >>> SMART look?

2024?

Yes. I double checked just now, and 2024 is indeed the current year. ;-)

It would be true for SSD disks, but his are mechanical.

I know his are mechanical, that's what 'spinner' means, and I haven't seen or heard of a case of fragmentation that's so severe that it noticeably affects disk performance since the mid to late 1990s. That's why I suggested that something else was in play. I see by Ed's latest post that, indeed, nothing was
    seriously wrong with his external drive. That is as I expected.

He has a "music DB" on there, and perhaps that is where the fragmentation
    comes from.

While the Optimize does have a "scheduled defrag" option, it isn't always running.
    If you like the feature, it pays to check it and verify it is set up for you.

Historically, the Optimize menu has mis-characterized drive types. It used
    to think a HDD was an SSD, and then it would refuse to defragment it.
    That's when you resort to "defrag H: " to override the determination of type.

Even if scheduled defrag is successfully configured to happen, if the
    thing thinks your HDD is an SSD, then nothing will happen (fragments will accumulate).

Using any sort of "block-based display" of fragmentation, you can check and
    see the level of fragmentation. I use JKDefrag 3.36 for that, and the "-a 1 -d 2" option.
    The Windows defragmenter does not bother with a visual representation,
    like the third party tools do. Now, the WinXP defragmenter, which was
    written by President Software, that had a kind of block display, and
    it was a "pimp my ride" flavor of defragmenter. Whereas the W10/W11 defragmenter is a "scientist version" -- it only defragments as much
    as is needed to restore performance. It is not fixated on making a
    "green carpet" out of your files :-)

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ammammata@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 3 17:12:33 2024
    Big Al submitted this idea :
    I use a defragger called 'my defrag'.

i did too, now it's almost everything on SSD so it's not necessary any
    more

the last spinning disks are in the NAS that uses EXT partitions

monthly obviously is very
    intense and sorts the files as well as defrag.

it's since norton commander that I don't sort files, IMHO it's useless,
    also because I switch quite often from alphabetic sort, to updated to
    size, so the best is to leave to the running software (today is Total Commander) the sort task

The latter would take forever on 2TB.

well, run it overnight, who cares if it takes 5-6 hours to complete?

--
    /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
    -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-
    ........... [ al lavoro ] ...........

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Big Al@21:1/5 to Ammammata on Mon Jun 3 12:07:08 2024
    On 6/3/24 11:12 AM, Ammammata wrote:
    Big Al submitted this idea :
    I use a defragger called 'my defrag'.

i did too, now it's almost everything on SSD so it's not necessary any more

the last spinning disks are in the NAS that uses EXT partitions

monthly obviously is very intense and sorts the files as well as defrag.

it's since norton commander that I don't sort files, IMHO it's useless, also because I switch quite
    often from alphabetic sort, to updated to size, so the best is to leave to the running software
    (today is Total Commander) the sort task

The latter would take forever on 2TB.

well, run it overnight, who cares if it takes 5-6 hours to complete?

I've had it take way more than overnight, and I'm not sure the wear and heat etc is worth whatever
    speed I might get out of the drive.

I too have mostly SSDs and don't use it much except a small 500G drive.
    "500G / small", I remember buying a 500M and thinking it was gigantic. Of course I was using
    floppies then.
    --
    Al

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05