• Whistling PSU

From Ed Cryer@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 30 12:03:59 2023
    I have an old Acer Aspire X3990, used almost daily for 10+ years;
    greatly modified to be a really good work-horse.
    Suddenly I switch it on and instead of booting it whistles from the PSU.
    I need a new PSU, but they're hard to find for such a heirloom.
    Here's a picture of the PSU;
    https://ibb.co/0hvpJkz
    And here's a possible replacement;
    https://tinyurl.com/2zrcs8j2

I should think that PSU technology has advanced quite a bit.
    I might be able to find something better.

Any suggestions from the workbench?

Ed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Paul@21:1/5 to Ed Cryer on Tue May 30 08:41:34 2023
    On 5/30/2023 7:03 AM, Ed Cryer wrote:
    I have an old Acer Aspire X3990, used almost daily for 10+ years; greatly modified to be a really good work-horse.

Ed

Maybe that's a FlexATX ?

They come up to 90% efficient and 600W.
    The previous generation would be somewhat less on both numbers. 80% 230W.

You check the label with the output amperage listed, and
    then compare the replacement numbers to the original.

For example, if the original was 12V @ 13A and the
    replacement is 12V @ 50A, it means both of them could
    manage to power a 13A load, and both would be suitable.

if the replacement supply only made 12V @ 6A, it would
    presumably be too weak as a replacement.

On modern computers, there isn't much that runs off -12V.
    That's why the current there is 0.3 amps. The RS232 serial
    port runs off that voltage.

The -5V output was discontinued more than 20 years ago.

The +3.3V, +5V, +12V are the mainstream outputs.

The +5VSB is the "supervisor voltage" and powers the
    machine while it sleeps, and powers the machine enough
    so it can feel when the front button was pressed (soft ON/OFF).
    If the +5VSB has 3 amperes on offer, that's pretty generous.
    It does not offer a lot of amperes for charging an iPad via
    a USB connector, but it's otherwise a start at a power source.

The FlexATX tends to have a 40mm fan, not my favorite type of fan (noise).

On elongated PSUs, two of the dimensions are fixed. Measuring
    the short dimensions, you would hope those dimensions are all
    the same, everywhere. The "length" of the unit, can vary with
    power output. (Even on ATX, a 1200W supply can be longer than a
    600W supply.)

At one time, PSUs did not list the efficiency on the label.
    Efficiency was poor (70% or less), and the heat used to pour out
    of the fan opening. Now, they have 80%+ efficiency, and
    they have "metal" ratings like "bronze" or "gold". One advantage
    of the higher efficiency units, is not the savings on the
    electrical bill, but the fan does not have to spin as fast
    to keep them cool. And that means less noise. They have
    managed, on some idling computers, that the Flex fan does not
    have to spin at all. Run Prime95, and the fan spools up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus # Contains colour scheme versus efficiency value

It's probably leaking caps that have affected the PSU. I had
    an Antec that failed that way, and there were four capacitors
    on +5VSB that had brown liquid stains on the top. And that's why
    it packed in (computer tried to run, but CPU crashed due to bad
    voltages).

There is an outside chance, a motherboard failure could overload
    a perfectly good PSU. We apply the same analysis there. Visual mobo inspection. Examine tops of capacitors (cylinders with plastic sleeve). In addition, examine the PCB around the CPU socket. Occasionally a plane-to-plane
    short causes the PCB to turn brown from the heat. Your machine lacks
    the brute force power to be burning in that fashion :-) If you had
    a plane-to-plane short on VCore, the VCore circuit would just
    calmly switch off, rather than roasting the mobo.

Before buying your supply, check how many peripheral cables the
    new one has, and that it has enough power wiring for your disk
    drives and so on. There isn't a lot of room for the mass of wires
    coming out of the PSU, so they really can't afford to run too many
    harnesses from there. But check anyway, as you don't want to discover
    later that you can't, say, plug in your floppy any more.

Chances are, if it has a UK power plug, it's either a Universal or a 240V unit. Some of the older designs, there is a red slider to match the
    available mains voltage.

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From captain_penis@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 30 12:44:56 2023
    Let a homeless man fuck your ass,
    then whistle out your anus!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ed Cryer@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 30 18:41:27 2023
    UGF1bCB3cm90ZToNCj4gT24gNS8zMC8yMDIzIDc6MDMgQU0sIEVkIENyeWVyIHdyb3RlOg0K Pj4gSSBoYXZlIGFuIG9sZCBBY2VyIEFzcGlyZSBYMzk5MCwgdXNlZCBhbG1vc3QgZGFpbHkg Zm9yIDEwKyB5ZWFyczsgDQo+PiBncmVhdGx5IG1vZGlmaWVkIHRvIGJlIGEgcmVhbGx5IGdv b2Qgd29yay1ob3JzZS4NCj4+IFN1ZGRlbmx5IEkgc3dpdGNoIGl0IG9uIGFuZCBpbnN0ZWFk IG9mIGJvb3RpbmcgaXQgd2hpc3RsZXMgZnJvbSB0aGUgUFNVLg0KPj4gSSBuZWVkIGEgbmV3 IFBTVSwgYnV0IHRoZXkncmUgaGFyZCB0byBmaW5kIGZvciBzdWNoIGEgaGVpcmxvb20uDQo+ PiBIZXJlJ3MgYSBwaWN0dXJlIG9mIHRoZSBQU1U7DQo+PiBodHRwczovL2liYi5jby8waHZw Smt6DQo+PiBBbmQgaGVyZSdzIGEgcG9zc2libGUgcmVwbGFjZW1lbnQ7DQo+PiBodHRwczov L3Rpbnl1cmwuY29tLzJ6cmNzOGoyDQo+Pg0KPj4gSSBzaG91bGQgdGhpbmsgdGhhdCBQU1Ug dGVjaG5vbG9neSBoYXMgYWR2YW5jZWQgcXVpdGUgYSBiaXQuDQo+PiBJIG1pZ2h0IGJlIGFi bGUgdG8gZmluZCBzb21ldGhpbmcgYmV0dGVyLg0KPj4NCj4+IEFueSBzdWdnZXN0aW9ucyBm cm9tIHRoZSB3b3JrYmVuY2g/DQo+Pg0KPj4gRWQNCj4gDQo+IE1heWJlIHRoYXQncyBhIEZs ZXhBVFggPw0KPiANCj4gVGhleSBjb21lIHVwIHRvIDkwJSBlZmZpY2llbnQgYW5kIDYwMFcu DQo+IFRoZSBwcmV2aW91cyBnZW5lcmF0aW9uIHdvdWxkIGJlIHNvbWV3aGF0IGxlc3Mgb24g Ym90aCBudW1iZXJzLsKgIDgwJSAyMzBXLg0KPiANCj4gWW91IGNoZWNrIHRoZSBsYWJlbCB3 aXRoIHRoZSBvdXRwdXQgYW1wZXJhZ2UgbGlzdGVkLCBhbmQNCj4gdGhlbiBjb21wYXJlIHRo ZSByZXBsYWNlbWVudCBudW1iZXJzIHRvIHRoZSBvcmlnaW5hbC4NCj4gDQo+IEZvciBleGFt cGxlLCBpZiB0aGUgb3JpZ2luYWwgd2FzIDEyViBAIDEzQSBhbmQgdGhlDQo+IHJlcGxhY2Vt ZW50IGlzIDEyViBAIDUwQSwgaXQgbWVhbnMgYm90aCBvZiB0aGVtIGNvdWxkDQo+IG1hbmFn ZSB0byBwb3dlciBhIDEzQSBsb2FkLCBhbmQgYm90aCB3b3VsZCBiZSBzdWl0YWJsZS4NCj4g DQo+IGlmIHRoZSByZXBsYWNlbWVudCBzdXBwbHkgb25seSBtYWRlIDEyViBAIDZBLCBpdCB3 b3VsZA0KPiBwcmVzdW1hYmx5IGJlIHRvbyB3ZWFrIGFzIGEgcmVwbGFjZW1lbnQuDQo+IA0K PiBPbiBtb2Rlcm4gY29tcHV0ZXJzLCB0aGVyZSBpc24ndCBtdWNoIHRoYXQgcnVucyBvZmYg LTEyVi4NCj4gVGhhdCdzIHdoeSB0aGUgY3VycmVudCB0aGVyZSBpcyAwLjMgYW1wcy4gVGhl IFJTMjMyIHNlcmlhbA0KPiBwb3J0IHJ1bnMgb2ZmIHRoYXQgdm9sdGFnZS4NCj4gDQo+IFRo ZSAtNVYgb3V0cHV0IHdhcyBkaXNjb250aW51ZWQgbW9yZSB0aGFuIDIwIHllYXJzIGFnby4N Cj4gDQo+IFRoZSArMy4zViwgKzVWLCArMTJWIGFyZSB0aGUgbWFpbnN0cmVhbSBvdXRwdXRz Lg0KPiANCj4gVGhlICs1VlNCIGlzIHRoZSAic3VwZXJ2aXNvciB2b2x0YWdlIiBhbmQgcG93 ZXJzIHRoZQ0KPiBtYWNoaW5lIHdoaWxlIGl0IHNsZWVwcywgYW5kIHBvd2VycyB0aGUgbWFj aGluZSBlbm91Z2gNCj4gc28gaXQgY2FuIGZlZWwgd2hlbiB0aGUgZnJvbnQgYnV0dG9uIHdh cyBwcmVzc2VkIChzb2Z0IE9OL09GRikuDQo+IElmIHRoZSArNVZTQiBoYXMgMyBhbXBlcmVz IG9uIG9mZmVyLCB0aGF0J3MgcHJldHR5IGdlbmVyb3VzLg0KPiBJdCBkb2VzIG5vdCBvZmZl ciBhIGxvdCBvZiBhbXBlcmVzIGZvciBjaGFyZ2luZyBhbiBpUGFkIHZpYQ0KPiBhIFVTQiBj b25uZWN0b3IsIGJ1dCBpdCdzIG90aGVyd2lzZSBhIHN0YXJ0IGF0IGEgcG93ZXIgc291cmNl Lg0KPiANCj4gVGhlIEZsZXhBVFggdGVuZHMgdG8gaGF2ZSBhIDQwbW0gZmFuLCBub3QgbXkg ZmF2b3JpdGUgdHlwZSBvZiBmYW4gKG5vaXNlKS4NCj4gDQo+IE9uIGVsb25nYXRlZCBQU1Vz LCB0d28gb2YgdGhlIGRpbWVuc2lvbnMgYXJlIGZpeGVkLiBNZWFzdXJpbmcNCj4gdGhlIHNo b3J0IGRpbWVuc2lvbnMsIHlvdSB3b3VsZCBob3BlIHRob3NlIGRpbWVuc2lvbnMgYXJlIGFs bA0KPiB0aGUgc2FtZSwgZXZlcnl3aGVyZS4gVGhlICJsZW5ndGgiIG9mIHRoZSB1bml0LCBj YW4gdmFyeSB3aXRoDQo+IHBvd2VyIG91dHB1dC4gKEV2ZW4gb24gQVRYLCBhIDEyMDBXIHN1 cHBseSBjYW4gYmUgbG9uZ2VyIHRoYW4gYQ0KPiA2MDBXIHN1cHBseS4pDQo+IA0KPiBBdCBv bmUgdGltZSwgUFNVcyBkaWQgbm90IGxpc3QgdGhlIGVmZmljaWVuY3kgb24gdGhlIGxhYmVs Lg0KPiBFZmZpY2llbmN5IHdhcyBwb29yICg3MCUgb3IgbGVzcyksIGFuZCB0aGUgaGVhdCB1 c2VkIHRvIHBvdXIgb3V0DQo+IG9mIHRoZSBmYW4gb3BlbmluZy4gTm93LCB0aGV5IGhhdmUg ODAlKyBlZmZpY2llbmN5LCBhbmQNCj4gdGhleSBoYXZlICJtZXRhbCIgcmF0aW5ncyBsaWtl ICJicm9uemUiIG9yICJnb2xkIi4gT25lIGFkdmFudGFnZQ0KPiBvZiB0aGUgaGlnaGVyIGVm ZmljaWVuY3kgdW5pdHMsIGlzIG5vdCB0aGUgc2F2aW5ncyBvbiB0aGUNCj4gZWxlY3RyaWNh bCBiaWxsLCBidXQgdGhlIGZhbiBkb2VzIG5vdCBoYXZlIHRvIHNwaW4gYXMgZmFzdA0KPiB0 byBrZWVwIHRoZW0gY29vbC4gQW5kIHRoYXQgbWVhbnMgbGVzcyBub2lzZS4gVGhleSBoYXZl DQo+IG1hbmFnZWQsIG9uIHNvbWUgaWRsaW5nIGNvbXB1dGVycywgdGhhdCB0aGUgRmxleCBm YW4gZG9lcyBub3QNCj4gaGF2ZSB0byBzcGluIGF0IGFsbC4gUnVuIFByaW1lOTUsIGFuZCB0 aGUgZmFuIHNwb29scyB1cC4NCj4gDQo+ICDCoMKgIGh0dHBzOi8vZW4ud2lraXBlZGlhLm9y Zy93aWtpLzgwX1BsdXPCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqAgIyBDb250YWlucyBjb2xvdXIgDQo+ IHNjaGVtZSB2ZXJzdXMgZWZmaWNpZW5jeSB2YWx1ZQ0KPiANCj4gSXQncyBwcm9iYWJseSBs ZWFraW5nIGNhcHMgdGhhdCBoYXZlIGFmZmVjdGVkIHRoZSBQU1UuIEkgaGFkDQo+IGFuIEFu dGVjIHRoYXQgZmFpbGVkIHRoYXQgd2F5LCBhbmQgdGhlcmUgd2VyZSBmb3VyIGNhcGFjaXRv cnMNCj4gb24gKzVWU0IgdGhhdCBoYWQgYnJvd24gbGlxdWlkIHN0YWlucyBvbiB0aGUgdG9w LiBBbmQgdGhhdCdzIHdoeQ0KPiBpdCBwYWNrZWQgaW4gKGNvbXB1dGVyIHRyaWVkIHRvIHJ1 biwgYnV0IENQVSBjcmFzaGVkIGR1ZSB0byBiYWQNCj4gdm9sdGFnZXMpLg0KPiANCj4gKioq KioqKg0KPiANCj4gVGhlcmUgaXMgYW4gb3V0c2lkZSBjaGFuY2UsIGEgbW90aGVyYm9hcmQg ZmFpbHVyZSBjb3VsZCBvdmVybG9hZA0KPiBhIHBlcmZlY3RseSBnb29kIFBTVS4gV2UgYXBw bHkgdGhlIHNhbWUgYW5hbHlzaXMgdGhlcmUuIFZpc3VhbCBtb2JvIA0KPiBpbnNwZWN0aW9u Lg0KPiBFeGFtaW5lIHRvcHMgb2YgY2FwYWNpdG9ycyAoY3lsaW5kZXJzIHdpdGggcGxhc3Rp YyBzbGVldmUpLiBJbiBhZGRpdGlvbiwNCj4gZXhhbWluZSB0aGUgUENCIGFyb3VuZCB0aGUg Q1BVIHNvY2tldC4gT2NjYXNpb25hbGx5IGEgcGxhbmUtdG8tcGxhbmUNCj4gc2hvcnQgY2F1 c2VzIHRoZSBQQ0IgdG8gdHVybiBicm93biBmcm9tIHRoZSBoZWF0LiBZb3VyIG1hY2hpbmUg bGFja3MNCj4gdGhlIGJydXRlIGZvcmNlIHBvd2VyIHRvIGJlIGJ1cm5pbmcgaW4gdGhhdCBm YXNoaW9uIDotKSBJZiB5b3UgaGFkDQo+IGEgcGxhbmUtdG8tcGxhbmUgc2hvcnQgb24gVkNv cmUsIHRoZSBWQ29yZSBjaXJjdWl0IHdvdWxkIGp1c3QNCj4gY2FsbWx5IHN3aXRjaCBvZmYs IHJhdGhlciB0aGFuIHJvYXN0aW5nIHRoZSBtb2JvLg0KPiANCj4gQmVmb3JlIGJ1eWluZyB5 b3VyIHN1cHBseSwgY2hlY2sgaG93IG1hbnkgcGVyaXBoZXJhbCBjYWJsZXMgdGhlDQo+IG5l dyBvbmUgaGFzLCBhbmQgdGhhdCBpdCBoYXMgZW5vdWdoIHBvd2VyIHdpcmluZyBmb3IgeW91 ciBkaXNrDQo+IGRyaXZlcyBhbmQgc28gb24uIFRoZXJlIGlzbid0IGEgbG90IG9mIHJvb20g Zm9yIHRoZSBtYXNzIG9mIHdpcmVzDQo+IGNvbWluZyBvdXQgb2YgdGhlIFBTVSwgc28gdGhl eSByZWFsbHkgY2FuJ3QgYWZmb3JkIHRvIHJ1biB0b28gbWFueQ0KPiBoYXJuZXNzZXMgZnJv bSB0aGVyZS4gQnV0IGNoZWNrIGFueXdheSwgYXMgeW91IGRvbid0IHdhbnQgdG8gZGlzY292 ZXINCj4gbGF0ZXIgdGhhdCB5b3UgY2FuJ3QsIHNheSwgcGx1ZyBpbiB5b3VyIGZsb3BweSBh bnkgbW9yZS4NCj4gDQo+IENoYW5jZXMgYXJlLCBpZiBpdCBoYXMgYSBVSyBwb3dlciBwbHVn LCBpdCdzIGVpdGhlciBhIFVuaXZlcnNhbCBvciBhIA0KPiAyNDBWIHVuaXQuDQo+IFNvbWUg b2YgdGhlIG9sZGVyIGRlc2lnbnMsIHRoZXJlIGlzIGEgcmVkIHNsaWRlciB0byBtYXRjaCB0 aGUNCj4gYXZhaWxhYmxlIG1haW5zIHZvbHRhZ2UuDQo+IA0KPiAgwqDCoCBQYXVsDQoNCg0K SSdkIGxpa2UgdG8gZmluZCB0aGUgYmVzdCBQU1UgYXZhaWxhYmxlIHRvIHJlcGxhY2UgdGhp cyBkdWQgb25lLCBhbmQgZG8gDQp0aGUgam9iIG15c2VsZi4NCkFuZCBpZiB0aGVyZSdzIGEg cmVzaWR1YWwgcHJvYmxlbSB0aGVyZWFmdGVyLCBJJ2xsIG1heWJlIHNlZWsgDQpwcm9mZXNz aW9uYWwgaGVscC4NCg0KSSBoYXZlIGEgQ3VycnlzL1BDIFdvcmxkIHN0b3JlIGp1c3QgZG93 biB0aGUgcm9hZCwgYW5kIEkgY2FsbGVkIGluIHRvIA0Kc2VlIHdoYXQgdGhleSBzdWdnZXN0 ZWQuIEkgdGFrZSB0aGUgYm94IHRvIHRoZW0sIHBheSA2MCBHQlAsIHRoZXkgDQpleGFtaW5l IGl0IGFuZCBsZXQgbWUga25vdyB3aGF0IG5lZWRzIGRvaW5nLCBJIHNheSBvayBhbmQgcGF5 IGZvciBhbGwgDQpwYXJ0cyB1c2VkLiBXZWxsLCBJJ3ZlIG5ldmVyIHRhbGtlZCB0byBhbnlv bmUgaW4gdGhlIHJlcGFpciBzaG9wLCBidXQgaWYgDQp0aGV5J3JlIGFueXRoaW5nIGxpa2Ug dGhlIGdvcm1sZXNzIHNhbGVzIGFzc2lzdGFudHMgSSBtZWV0LCB0aGVuICJObyANCnNpcnJl ZSEiLg0KDQpTbywgSSdtIHdhbnRpbmcgdGhlIGJlc3QgUFNVIEkgY2FuIGdldC4NCg0KRWQN
    Cg==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul@21:1/5 to Ed Cryer on Tue May 30 14:58:29 2023
    On 5/30/2023 1:41 PM, Ed Cryer wrote:
    Paul wrote:
    On 5/30/2023 7:03 AM, Ed Cryer wrote:
    I have an old Acer Aspire X3990, used almost daily for 10+ years; greatly modified to be a really good work-horse.
    Suddenly I switch it on and instead of booting it whistles from the PSU. >>> I need a new PSU, but they're hard to find for such a heirloom.

Ed

I'd like to find the best PSU available to replace this dud one, and do the job myself.
    And if there's a residual problem thereafter, I'll maybe seek professional help.

I have a Currys/PC World store just down the road, and I called in to see what they
    suggested. I take the box to them, pay 60 GBP, they examine it and let me know what
    needs doing, I say ok and pay for all parts used. Well, I've never talked to anyone
    in the repair shop, but if they're anything like the gormless sales assistants I meet,
    then "No sirree!".

So, I'm wanting the best PSU I can get.

Ed

It depends on your definition of "best".

At the bottom of the first item (made by Enhance), it says "Sold out" at the bottom.
    This might be the Enhance retail version.

https://www.geeekstore.com/shop/enhance-enp-7660b-600w-black-flex-atx-modular-power-supply/

SilverstoneTek may be buying those OEM from Enhance, and charging yet another $100
    for the privilege. Silverstone badges this as the FX600. Chances are it is built
    on the same "platform", with minor component changes (like the details of how the wires are connected to it).

https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/s0v7ks/new_600w_flex_atx_psu_from_silverstone/

And as they note in the Reddit, the issue is the fan curve, and whether it unnecessarily sounds like a pig or not. The *only* reason for buying a PSU
    like this, is with the very light load your PC guts will place on it,
    it has the potential to be pretty quiet.

I'm just surprised to be seeing "ball bearing" fan motors, when other
    companies have FDB motors and other kinds of quieter fans on them (SSO maybe). If one of those fans runs at 6000RPM or higher, I would not want to be
    in the same room with it.

Anything which is not "ATX", I would be checking all dimensions, lips and
    edges and stuff sticking out, before buying. And try to understand whether
    the wire exit angle at the end of the unit is workable in a small space.
    The Enhance claims to be using silicone wire, which may or may not be
    an advantage. Basically, wire is wire, and to carry 50 amps at 12V, they
    can't exactly be using 26ga wire. The ATX12V 2x2 or 2x4 could be carrying
    a bit of current, with a modern high-end Intel CPU during turbo (28 or 56 second "burst" of turbo that warms things up). That can be on the order
    of 200W. A 2x2 ATX12V is rated 144W, so to do an Intel Turbo on a 12th
    gen would be a 2x4 connector.

The motherboards today would use a 24 pin main connector. It has four
    wires more than the old 20 pin. One of the extra wires is a yellow one.
    This carries 12V. Having two yellow wires on the main connector, gives
    12V @ 12A capability, and that is used for PCI Express slots. (My
    1050Ti video card, draws all its power from the PCI Express slot, and
    that is 12V @ 5A approximately while running Furmark. No, that's not
    a very good video card. It's what passes for a cheap video card.)

There is a connector near the CPU, and that's the ATX12v. On a 2x2 square connector (with unique keying pattern so it only inserts one way), that
    ATX12V has two yellow wires and 12V @ 12A capability. If instead the motherboard is made with a 2x4 connector, there are four yellow wires on
    one of those and 12V @ 24A capability for an Intel turbo run.

ATX12V 2x4 connectors usually consists of two 2x2 halves, with a "joint
    or rib" that aligns the two halves. If used in 2x4 config, you have to squeeze the two halves together, while pressing it into the socket.

If an ATX12V 2x4 is only being used in 2x2 mode (as only a 2x2 connector is available on the motherboard), then one half of that connector is inserted
    and the other half remains floating in mid-air. The two halves do not have
    the same "shape" in their shrouds, so only one of the two halves will insert and it only inserts one way (do not force it, check before beating the piss
    out of it!).

Other connectors and looms, would include a PCI Express for a video card.
    They could probably manage an 8 pin PCI Express, which would split into a
    2x3 + 1x2. You use the 2x3 section on a video card with 2x3. You squeeze
    the two bits together and insert 2x4 total, if the video card had a 2x4 connector. One PCI Express connector carries a bit more power than the other.

Most all of these references, are for computers with much higher consumption than yours. Chances are, you don't have a video card with a separate PCI Express
    connector on the end of it. And your ATX12V is just a 2x2 one. But I wanted
    to explain some possible wire termination schemes on a 600W supply, and why
    a person would be using them.

If a PC used the entire 600W of DC power from the PSU, the computer case
    would be warmer than an oven inside. The "case cooling equation" would call
    for several 35CFM case cooling fans. And again, I doubt your PC sounds like
    a hoover and is somewhat subdued on the noise front. Your PC won't be using
    the 600W, won't be like a toaster.

The 600W supply, does not hurt anything. You would not be at the absolute highest efficiency point of the power curve. Your PC consumption is below
    that point. You don't really care whether the PSU is 92% efficient
    or 89% efficient. Just that the fan stay quiet and that's the only
    reason for buying such a thing. You are getting Japanese caps and GaN semiconductors.

GaN (according to this), can be made on a silicon carbide substrate,
    even though the lattice does not match.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallium_nitride

Whereas LEDs are made with GaAs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallium_arsenide

so who can say how expensive the GaN are to make. The boule for it,
    might not be the same as the one for GaAs. The boule is what it looks
    like, before it is sawed into wafers.

https://www.sciencephoto.com/media/442053/view/gallium-arsenide-boule

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From VanguardLH@21:1/5 to Ed Cryer on Tue May 30 23:30:47 2023
    Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

You don't say the PSU doesn't work. You only mention it whistles. Have
    you tried blowing canned air through the grills in the PSU? Take off
    the side panel, blow air into the back of the PSU, and then blow through
    the grill inside. Could be just some debris buildup that makes the
    whistle noise. Could also be the fan inside the PSU. Unplug the power
    cord from the PSU, remove the PSU (or detach from case for screws, and
    let dangle on wire harness to eliminate having to remember how to plug
    it all back together), open the PSU case (it has screws), and use an ear
    swab to swipe clean the fan blades. While it is open, blast the
    internals with canned air again. Put the PSU back together, remount in
    case, and retest. Make sure no cables, especially ribbon cables, are
    blocking the intake grill on the PSU inside the case.

Since you'll have the case open, you sure the whistling comes from the
    PSU fan, and not the CPU or GPU fans? While it's open, use canned air
    to dust out the internals, especially the heatsinks. You can use swabs
    on those fan blades, too.

When blowing air through a fan, put your finger on the hub, or use a
    swab, to prevent the blade from spinning when unpowered.

If you power on the computer, but it doesn't power on, but the "whistle"
    you hear is actually a high-pitched whine, and you're sure the whine
    comes from the PSU, yep, replace it. A Google search on "aspire x3990
    psu" finds many candidates for replacement for about $50.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aspire+x3990+psu

Some are listed at ebay.com. If you have a verified Paypal account, you
    get Buyer Protection which has them refund an item if the seller doesn't
    atone for their mistake.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=aspire%20x3990%20power%20supply

Use the filters on price range, condition, shipping location, and so on
    for how you want to throttle which ads match on your criteria. There
    will be a sticker on the PSU to let you match a replacement on the same
    wattage replacement.

The motherboard isn't very adaptable (2 memory slots, 1 PCIe x16 slot
    likely for video card, and 1 PCIe x1 slot for piddly stuff, like a
    modem), so I'm not sure how much you could have "modified" the setup to
    be a "work-horse". My guess is you're using the integral video logic in
    the CPU (Intel HD 2000 in the Intel i5) instead of a separate video daughtercard. Comes with 4GB RAM installed, and the 2 slots let you add
    up to another 4 GB for 8 GB total. The extra RAM will consume more
    power, but whatever wattage rating you have currently for the old PSU
    was likely capable of handling the extra RAM. However, your pic shows
    the RAM slots are empty. Just how has the X3990 been "greatly
    modified"? Is anything plugged into the PCIe 2.0 x1 or x16 mobo slots?

Yes, you can find later PSUs that are better, like more efficient, have
    2 fans instead of 1, intake is fresh/cooler outside air instead of
    preheated interior air, have more power, and so on, but you're
    restricted to the physical dimensions of the old specialty format of the
    Acer PSU. Unless you actually plugged in a video card with more VRAM
    and faster GPU having it consume more power (but does not require a
    separate power connection to the mobo, so just the PCIe slot's power
    contacts are sufficient), you might want to bump up from the old 200W
    Acer PSU to a 300W model provided the physical dimensions are the same.
    You could get a different case into which you transplant the mobo to let
    you put in standard sized PSU, but by then you might as well as start
    putting aside money for a whole new build.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Burns@21:1/5 to VanguardLH on Wed May 31 06:41:13 2023
    VanguardLH wrote:

you tried blowing canned air through the grills in the PSU?

Or it could be coil whine, does the noise change under load? or when
    e.g. dragging windows around the screen?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ed Cryer@21:1/5 to VanguardLH on Wed May 31 09:36:35 2023
    VanguardLH wrote:

you tried blowing canned air through the grills in the PSU? Take off
    the side panel, blow air into the back of the PSU, and then blow through
    the grill inside. Could be just some debris buildup that makes the
    whistle noise. Could also be the fan inside the PSU. Unplug the power
    cord from the PSU, remove the PSU (or detach from case for screws, and
    let dangle on wire harness to eliminate having to remember how to plug
    it all back together), open the PSU case (it has screws), and use an ear
    swab to swipe clean the fan blades. While it is open, blast the
    internals with canned air again. Put the PSU back together, remount in
    case, and retest. Make sure no cables, especially ribbon cables, are blocking the intake grill on the PSU inside the case.

Since you'll have the case open, you sure the whistling comes from the
    PSU fan, and not the CPU or GPU fans? While it's open, use canned air
    to dust out the internals, especially the heatsinks. You can use swabs
    on those fan blades, too.

When blowing air through a fan, put your finger on the hub, or use a
    swab, to prevent the blade from spinning when unpowered.

If you power on the computer, but it doesn't power on, but the "whistle"
    you hear is actually a high-pitched whine, and you're sure the whine
    comes from the PSU, yep, replace it. A Google search on "aspire x3990
    psu" finds many candidates for replacement for about $50.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aspire+x3990+psu

Some are listed at ebay.com. If you have a verified Paypal account, you
    get Buyer Protection which has them refund an item if the seller doesn't atone for their mistake.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=aspire%20x3990%20power%20supply

Use the filters on price range, condition, shipping location, and so on
    for how you want to throttle which ads match on your criteria. There
    will be a sticker on the PSU to let you match a replacement on the same wattage replacement.

The motherboard isn't very adaptable (2 memory slots, 1 PCIe x16 slot
    likely for video card, and 1 PCIe x1 slot for piddly stuff, like a
    modem), so I'm not sure how much you could have "modified" the setup to
    be a "work-horse". My guess is you're using the integral video logic in
    the CPU (Intel HD 2000 in the Intel i5) instead of a separate video daughtercard. Comes with 4GB RAM installed, and the 2 slots let you add
    up to another 4 GB for 8 GB total. The extra RAM will consume more
    power, but whatever wattage rating you have currently for the old PSU
    was likely capable of handling the extra RAM. However, your pic shows
    the RAM slots are empty. Just how has the X3990 been "greatly
    modified"? Is anything plugged into the PCIe 2.0 x1 or x16 mobo slots?

Yes, you can find later PSUs that are better, like more efficient, have
    2 fans instead of 1, intake is fresh/cooler outside air instead of
    preheated interior air, have more power, and so on, but you're
    restricted to the physical dimensions of the old specialty format of the
    Acer PSU. Unless you actually plugged in a video card with more VRAM
    and faster GPU having it consume more power (but does not require a
    separate power connection to the mobo, so just the PCIe slot's power
    contacts are sufficient), you might want to bump up from the old 200W
    Acer PSU to a 300W model provided the physical dimensions are the same.
    You could get a different case into which you transplant the mobo to let
    you put in standard sized PSU, but by then you might as well as start
    putting aside money for a whole new build.

I'll have a go with cleaning the PSU as you suggest. Enough dust gets
    into the CPU heatsink (which I clean regularly), but I've never thought
    to clean the PSU.

The box doesn't boot. I switch it on and the PSU whistles; and that's all.

My modifications are;
    Large SSD.
    DVD-writer.
    Memory 8GB.
    All been in situ for several years, and working excellently.

Thanks again, pal.

Ed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Graham J@21:1/5 to Ed Cryer on Wed May 31 09:54:51 2023
    Ed Cryer wrote:

[snip]

to clean the PSU.

This may be because the motherboard has failed.

Unplug all the connectors from the PSU (except the incoming mains),
    identify the wire that needs to be grounded to cause it to power up,
    then measure whether the output voltages are present and correct. I
    take it you do have a suitable multimeter?

Confirm this by borrowing a standard PSU (with the correct output connectors)and plug it into the motherboard, leaving the PSU propped
    outside the case. Does the PC start up, or does that PSU also scream?

If a replacement standard PSU gets everything working, then it will be
    worth buying the correct replacement to go inside the housing

--
    Graham J

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul@21:1/5 to Ed Cryer on Wed May 31 05:42:30 2023
    On 5/31/2023 4:36 AM, Ed Cryer wrote:

I'll have a go with cleaning the PSU as you suggest. Enough dust gets into the CPU heatsink
    (which I clean regularly), but I've never thought to clean the PSU.

My modifications are;
    Large SSD.
    DVD-writer.
    Memory 8GB.

Thanks again, pal.

Ed

That could be the +5VSB. Which typically does not go over
    3 amperes, has current limiter function, and powers the USB ports.

At one time, on older computers, there was a jumper plug where you
    could power USB ports off +5V (USB port only powers, when PC running),
    or for wake-up USB ports, you could run them off +5VSB (which is
    powered all the time).

Later designs, they removed the header, and the USB ports were
    only powered off +5VSB.

This means an overload on USB, could cause the PSU to whistle.

The +5VSB at one time, was quite inefficient and kicked out a bit
    of heat. More modern PSU use an SMPS for the supervisory voltage,
    which is more efficient. But it still has an overcurrent detection.

the +5VSB is a single wire on the main motherboard 24 pin cable.
    If you have a clamp-on DC ammeter, you can clamp it around the
    +5VSB wire and measure the current. But while your box is whistling,
    you can't really make much of a measurement. The +5VSB is unlikely to be
    making the full five volt value at the moment.

I have at least one spare PSU, and I just swap them in when there is trouble. On my dead P4, swapping the PSU did nothing for me, confirming the ICH5
    had blown up. It was supposed to die, when exposed to ESD, but it seems
    to have died in its sleep :-) That's two motherboards that died on me
    and no swollen caps either, on either of them.

If you want a quick debug step, with the PC not started, unplug
    all external USB and PS/2 connectors, and then switch on at the back
    of the PC. And see if it whistles with just the motherboard for company. Removing those connectors, is intended to reduce the loading on +5VSB
    and perhaps... it will stop whistling.

When my Antec with the bad caps died, it did not die outright. It
    was making a little puff of grey smoke, at startup, as the first hint of
    bad caps. But later, the PC would crash at BIOS level, which is
    a sign the output voltages were no longer normal.

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From VanguardLH@21:1/5 to Ed Cryer on Wed May 31 13:35:13 2023

to clean the PSU.

My modifications are;
    Large SSD.
    DVD-writer.
    Memory 8GB.

Tis possible the dust buildup inside the PSU is the culprit, but also
    possible the PSU has been damaged from overheating. Typically the
    intake air into the PSU is pre-heated (CPU, memory, drives, mobo, etc).
    The PSU isn't 100% efficient, so it generates heat, too. ATX PSUs are typically box shaped, but the ITX PSU you have is elongated. That setup
    uses a mini-ITX motherboard and the ITX PSU to reduce size.

Comparison of mobo sizes: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1e/Comparison_ATX_%C2%B5ATX_DTX_ITX_mini-DTX.svg/330px-Comparison_ATX_%C2%B5ATX_DTX_ITX_mini-DTX.svg.png
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_ATX

After removing the side panel from the case, get a flashlight to watch
    the PSU fan. Press the power button, and check if the fan spins or not,
    if it jiggles but doesn't spin (siezed fan), or if it never moves. With
    the PSU case dismantled, you can flick a fan blade with your finger. If
    it halts very quickly (doesn't spin more than once), its bearing is
    shot. A good fan won't spin many times when you flick its blade with
    your finger, but it should spin. You can also sometimes feel a bad
    bearing by slowly rotating the fan using a finger. With a bad bearing,
    you might feel a bit of resistance at the bad spot in rotation. If the
    fan is bad, likely you can replace the fan, but may need some solder
    w/rosin core and heatshrink tubing to snip the wires to the fan, and
    splice in the new fan. If you use electrical tape instead of heatshrink
    tubing to cover the wire splices, use a cable/zip tie around the tape
    since it will unwrap over time.

From some pics of that PSU, there is a voltage select switch (red) at
    the back near where the power cord plugs into the PSU. Even if it seems
    to be at the correct position to match the input voltage, I would flip
    it to the other position, and then back. Make sure it is solidly into
    the indent for the correct position, and flipping the switch also cleans
    its contacts.

After dusting out the mobo, and CPU and heatsink, and dusting the PSU by blowing through the case grills, if you get to dismantling the PSU to
    dust better inside of it, take a look inside to see if you can see a
    fuse. Often, instead of a fuse holder, there is just a couple of clips soldered into a PCB into which a fuse is pushed. However, sometimes the
    fuse is just soldered onto the PCB (it has leads soldered onto the ends
    of the fuse, and those leads are soldered into the PCB).

Does this PSU have a power brick in its power cord? That is, does the
    power cord that plugs into the wall outlet go to a brick, and then
    another cord runs from the brick to the PSU? If so, and if the output
    voltage is labeled on the brick, check the output voltage with a
    multimeter. Make sure the cord that plugs into brick is fully seated,
    like unplug and replug that cord into the brick. Some folks will do a
    lot of work without checking power is reaching the PSU, like they kick
    the plug that is under their desk, or the brick hangs from the desk
    instead of sitting on the floor. I hate power bricks. I fabricate a
    set of wire ties to eliminate the cords walking out of the brick: two
    loose on each cord on each end of the brick, loop a cable tie between
    the two loose ones on the cords, on each side of the brick, and tighten
    down the ties as a bail to pull on the cords into the sockets in the
    brick. Typically the plugs are too tight into the brick to use hot-melt
    glue. Super glue doesn't work on nylon in a somewhat flex connection.
    Bricks are often found with laptops to reduce size of the laptop (but
    then the size difference is consumed by the brick which is external),
    but yours is a desktop.

While we've been focused on the PSU, it's possible the problem is on the
    mobo. There is logic on the mobo that tells the PSU if it powers up or
    not. With the old AT-style PSUs, the power switch was hardwired into
    the PSU (it was a switch on the front of the case that was wired to the
    PSU). With ATX-style PSUs, the power switch goes to the mobo, and logic
    on the mobo tells the PSU when to power up. While the power cord is
    attached to the PSU, and even with the computer powered down, the PSU
    still generates a 5V STBY (5 VDC standby output voltage) in the 24-pin
    harness from PSU to mobo. That powers the 3VDC "power-on" logic on the
    mobo. As a test, with the 24-pin PSU harness connected to the mobo, you
    could short the Pwr-On lead (green wire) to ground. That lead dropping
    to zero volts is what tells the PSU to power up; else, it floats high.

https://www.lifewire.com/thmb/se_V_Mh6qrGZHtG5hGu3YQFVnRA=/1500x0/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/atx-24-pin-12v-power-supply-pinout-2624578-bd809482596447b7afa7c63232719560.png

Pin 15 is PS-ON, and shorting to ground will turn on the PSU. This line
    must be kept low to keep the PSU turned on; else, the only output
    voltage from the PSU is the 5VSB line (pin 9) to power the on-board mobo
    logic for this line. If the PS-ON line doesn't go low, the PSU won't
    come on. When I do this test, I get a sewing needle to jab into the
    backside of the 24-pin connector to contact the female pin in there, and
    use a jumper cable (alligator clips on each end) to connect the needle
    to a ground point. You could use another sewing needle in any of the
    GND leads (pins 3, 5, 7, 15, 17, 18, 19, 24) in the 24-pin connector.
    If you don't have a jumper wire, you could try jamming sewing needles
    into pin 16 (PS-ON) and a GND lead next door (pin 15 or 17), and
    crossing the needles to touch each other to make the short across pins
    (PS-ON to GND). Once PS-ON is shorted to GND, the PSU fan should spin.

Tis possible the system is overloaded. PSUs wan in capacity over time.
    No matter what is their rated power output, that lessens over time.
    What the PSU was capable of handling early on may become too much later.
    I forgot where I read the tested reduction, but recall it was about 5%
    capacity loss per year for typical-grade hardware, less for higher
    quality hardware. Expect 20% capacity loss over its lifetime (which
    cheap PSUs having a shorter lifetime). As the components inside the PSU
    age, they become less efficient which means less delivered power and
    more generated heat. A reduction in input voltage to the PSU causes
    less efficient conversion, and more heat. Dust buildup reduces thermal transfer away from components in the PSU decreasing efficiency which
    generates even more heat. Running a PSU at its real maximum capacity
    (which is often less than its rated capacity, especially for cheap PSUs)
    will reduce efficiency (which is not linear to the load). Running a
    sustained total load of 75% of its rating will reduce capacity. Most degradation is from high temperatures, and why you need to dust out your computer, heat sinks, memory modules, video card, and the PSU. I've
    seen folks try using estimators on how much power is needed from the PSU
    based on what loads it will supply and efficiency of the PSU, and then
    buy a PSU that barely exceeds that power draw. To hell with that. I
    figure out what might be the power draw if everything I could attach to
    the PSU were populated, like when later upgrading the system, and then
    double that for what size of PSU to get. If the computations show a
    400W PSU is sufficient, I get an 800W PSU, or bigger depending on the
    depth of my pocket at the time. Getting a PSU "to size" is a mistake
    that you'll make once. Guess what happens to your power computations
    when you later decide to add a 200W video card? You'll spend again to
    get a better PSU. Pre-builts are designed to their specifications, not
    on how you might upgrade them later. They sell by spec, not quality.

Also, be aware that the ratings on PSU is often for non-sustained
    maximums; i.e., they over rate their capacity. Some PSUs are under
    rated, but many are over rated. The protections are often over rated,
    too. Some PSUs will cut out when overloaded, but some will literally
    burn up. When you open the PSU, and after dusting it out, use your nose
    to determine if the PSU burned up. In pre-builts, typically the PSU is
    the minimum needed for the factory config, and not much leeway for an
    enlarged power load (and their power factor curve has a much sharper
    drop at the max load end so efficiency drops a lot so more heat), and
    longevity isn't that long, like about 5 years, or just enough to get
    past the warranty period. There are a lot of crappy PSUs out there, and
    many won't meet or exceed their ratings shown on a label on the PSU.

Another test would be to disconnect the 24-pin PSU connector from the
    mobo, and short PS-ON (pin 16) in the connector to GND (pin 15 or 17) in
    the connector (the pins will be exposed to make contacting them easier). However, some PSUs will still not power on unless there is some power
    draw. That is, even with PS-ON shorted to ground, the PSU wants to see something drawing power from it. So, leave a drive connected to the PSU
    wiring harness. The drive needs to power up to draw power, so an
    optical drive won't do. Leave a spinner or SSD attached. After
    shorting PS-ON to ground, the PSU fan should spin.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From captain_penis@21:1/5 to All on Wed May 31 15:55:03 2023
    Anyone wanna smell my ass for $130.88?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ...winston@21:1/5 to Ed Cryer on Thu Jun 1 14:52:27 2023
    Ed Cryer wrote:

Ed

Primarily, two types of whine from a PSU.
    Coil and Fan.
    One vibration, the other rotational.
    - the former is electrical, the latter mechanical.

--
    ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David Brooks@21:1/5 to ...winston on Thu Jun 1 20:51:47 2023
    On 01/06/2023 19:52, ...winston wrote:
    Ed Cryer wrote:

Ed

Coil and Fan.

FYI - https://chat.openai.com/share/a7ea271a-ac43-445b-aab4-10d6ba89b1aa

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Big Dick@21:1/5 to David Brooks on Thu Jun 1 21:56:34 2023
    On 01/06/2023 20:51, David Brooks wrote:
    Ed Cryer wrote:
    Suddenly I switch it on and instead of booting it whistles from the
    PSU.

Ed

Coil and Fan.

I’m sorry to hear that. I found some options for you to consider. You
    can purchase a*new genuine Acer/Gateway 220 Watt form factor computer
    power supply*for your Acer Aspire X3990 fromlaptopparts.ca <https://laptopparts.ca/products/new-genuine-acer-aspire-x3990-xc-105-xc100-xc600-computer-power-supply-220-watt>for
    $99.98 <https://laptopparts.ca/products/new-genuine-acer-aspire-x3990-xc-105-xc100-xc600-computer-power-supply-220-watt>^1
    <https://laptopparts.ca/products/new-genuine-acer-aspire-x3990-xc-105-xc100-xc600-computer-power-supply-220-watt>.
    Another option is to buy a*100% new high quality Acer Aspire X3990
    XC-105 XC100 XC600 Computer Power Supply 220 Watt PS
    5221*fromonebattery.co.uk <http://www.onebattery.co.uk/acer-AC-adapter/AXC105-210561.htm>for an unspecified price <http://www.onebattery.co.uk/acer-AC-adapter/AXC105-210561.htm>^2 <http://www.onebattery.co.uk/acer-AC-adapter/AXC105-210561.htm>. You can
    also purchase a*300w power supply*for your Acer Aspire X3990
    fromebay.co.uk <https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350940679289>for an
    unspecified price <https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350940679289>^3 <https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350940679289>.You can also check out the
    official Acer UK online shop for*Batteries, Adapters, Cables and Power
    Kits*for Acer Devices<https://store.acer.com/en-gb/accessories/adapters-cables>^4 <https://store.acer.com/en-gb/accessories/adapters-cables>.

I hope this helps!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob F@21:1/5 to Ed Cryer on Thu Jun 1 19:48:43 2023
    On 5/30/2023 4:03 AM, Ed Cryer wrote:

Ebay or Amazon or ??

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul@21:1/5 to Big Dick on Thu Jun 1 23:31:54 2023
    On 6/1/2023 4:56 PM, Big Dick wrote:
    On 01/06/2023 20:51, David Brooks wrote:
    Ed Cryer wrote:
    Suddenly I switch it on and instead of booting it whistles from the
    PSU.

Ed

Coil and Fan.

I’m sorry to hear that. I found some options for you to consider. You
    can purchase a*new genuine Acer/Gateway 220 Watt form factor computer
    power supply*for your Acer Aspire X3990 fromlaptopparts.ca <https://laptopparts.ca/products/new-genuine-acer-aspire-x3990-xc-105-xc100-xc600-computer-power-supply-220-watt>for
    $99.98 <https://laptopparts.ca/products/new-genuine-acer-aspire-x3990-xc-105-xc100-xc600-computer-power-supply-220-watt>^1
    <https://laptopparts.ca/products/new-genuine-acer-aspire-x3990-xc-105-xc100-xc600-computer-power-supply-220-watt>.
    Another option is to buy a*100% new high quality Acer Aspire X3990
    XC-105 XC100 XC600 Computer Power Supply 220 Watt PS 5221*fromonebattery.co.uk <http://www.onebattery.co.uk/acer-AC-adapter/AXC105-210561.htm>for an unspecified price <http://www.onebattery.co.uk/acer-AC-adapter/AXC105-210561.htm>^2 <http://www.onebattery.co.uk/acer-AC-adapter/AXC105-210561.htm>. You can
    also purchase a*300w power supply*for your Acer Aspire X3990
    fromebay.co.uk <https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350940679289>for an
    unspecified price <https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350940679289>^3 <https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350940679289>.You can also check out the
    official Acer UK online shop for*Batteries, Adapters, Cables and Power Kits*for Acer Devices<https://store.acer.com/en-gb/accessories/adapters-cables>^4 <https://store.acer.com/en-gb/accessories/adapters-cables>.

I hope this helps!

Of course you can buy stuff like that.

You can also swap in a temporary supply, and
    verify that everything works before doing anything else.

And once the swap works, you can take the cover off the
    duff power supply, and determine whether it can be fixed.
    For example, one of the dead Antec supplies, I could change out
    the four +5V output capacitors and the supply would undoubtedly
    be "as good as new". This assumes capacitor juice does not get
    all over the place and damage copper traces.

Like going to the doctor, there's a flowchart for how to proceed
    and steps to do first.

If taking a machine to the shop for work, I recommend pulling
    the hard drive, and backing it up before taking the machine
    to a computer store repair department. There have been reports
    in the past, of computer shops erasing the hard drive and
    reinstalling the OS, when there was nothing on the ticket
    suggesting such a thing was necessary or had anything to do
    with the job. And by erasing customer data files, the customer
    then has nothing.

By making a backup of the drive, it does not matter what the
    shop does to the drive, in the process of doing repair work,
    you can always restore from backup later if not satisfied
    with what was done (or "over-done"). On a desktop, you can plug
    the drive from the duff computer, into the working computer, and
    do your backup of it.

The only level of unexpected outcome worse than that, is
    you take a computer to a computer store, two days later, the
    computer store goes bankrupt, the computer is "trapped inside
    the store", and you can't get it back. For example, the computer
    store I use here, I would not take a computer for repair, because
    I really don't know how solvent the chain is. We've had computer
    chains go bankrupt here before, without warning. It just seems
    to be a business "built on bankruptcy". At the current time, my
    computer store has the "how is this store still running" look to it.

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05