• Hi All

From Shane Hill@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 16 03:31:11 2020
    Not a lot of activity here. I ran a WWIV BBS in the early 90's, Reura
    Pente' out of Lakeport, CA. I used a variety of machines, primarly my
    flagship 486SX-25, but it ended on an IBM XT, which I'm using now to write
    this post. I'd be interested in hearing other stories from those who ran
    WWIV during the golden years before the Internet took over.

-Shane
    www.decisionconcepts.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Tim Radde@21:1/5 to Shane Hill on Sun Jul 25 12:56:59 2021
    On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 3:24:09 AM UTC-5, Shane Hill wrote:
    Not a lot of activity here. I ran a WWIV BBS in the early 90's, Reura
    Pente' out of Lakeport, CA. I used a variety of machines, primarly my flagship 486SX-25, but it ended on an IBM XT, which I'm using now to write this post. I'd be interested in hearing other stories from those who ran
    WWIV during the golden years before the Internet took over.

-Shane
    www.decisionconcepts.com

I ran a WWIV board up in Pennsylvania for a few years. Later moved it to PCBoard which I now think was a bad move. It started on a 386
    and later moved to a 486. Ran it under OS/2 so I had the virtual modem that would allow users to dial out to the new Internet. I miss those
    days as it was lots of fun. Even had it hooked up to WWIVNet and FidoNet.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tim Radde@21:1/5 to Dumas Walker on Thu Aug 11 15:32:07 2022
    I could never get the latest WWIV to compile properly under Linux. I worked at it, but no
    go. Kept getting some weird errors. I'd install the missing packages, but still no go. Don't
    remember the details but something with CMake. The binaries ran fine on Windows, but
    I don't run Windows much now. Prefer Linux. So I installed an SBBS system and it runs fine.
    But have no desire to stick it on the Internet just now.

On Tuesday, July 27, 2021 at 10:40:13 PM UTC-5, Dumas Walker wrote:
    + User FidoNet address: 1:2320/105
    I ran a WWIV board up in Pennsylvania for a few years. Later moved it to PCBoa
    d which I now think was a bad move. It started on a 386
    and later moved to a 486. Ran it under OS/2 so I had the virtual modem that wo
    ld allow users to dial out to the new Internet. I miss those
    days as it was lots of fun. Even had it hooked up to WWIVNet and FidoNet. WWIV is still in development, and both networks are still around, if you
    ever get the urge again. :)

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * I didn't do it nobody saw me you can't prove anything!
    --
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    + The FidoNet News Gate (Huntsville, AL - USA) +
    + The views of this user are strictly his or her own. + +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

---
    This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From phigan@bbs.penisys.cf@21:1/5 to Tim Radde on Sat Nov 12 01:33:30 2022
    Tim Radde wrote:
    I could never get the latest WWIV to compile properly under Linux. I worked at it, but no
    go. Kept getting some weird errors. I'd install the missing packages, but still no go. Don't

Maybe give it another go some time. I'm running it on Linux, and there was
    just an update the other day for some fixes.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tim Radde@21:1/5 to phi...@bbs.penisys.cf on Sat Nov 12 19:14:12 2022
    Thanks. Good to know you are running it on Linux. Which distro? I have Kubuntu
    installed. It seemed to be something to do with their Make tool they were using. I normally
    just use normal Make. Never used that one. It gave some weird errors that I don't remember
    now. Seems like something was missing or just not set right. Usually I can figure things
    like this out as I am a retired programmer. I should give it a try and if it still happens I can
    post the errors here. Maybe someone will have suggestions.

On Friday, November 11, 2022 at 7:33:31 PM UTC-6, phi...@bbs.penisys.cf wrote:
    Tim Radde wrote:
    Maybe give it another go some time. I'm running it on Linux, and there was just an update the other day for some fixes.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pi@mybox.or.yourbox.org@21:1/5 to Tim Radde on Wed Nov 16 18:23:36 2022
    Tim Radde wrote:
    remember the details but something with CMake. The binaries ran fine on Windows, but

Try it again! Works well.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tim Radde@21:1/5 to p...@mybox.or.yourbox.org on Thu Nov 17 09:12:43 2022
    On Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at 12:23:38 PM UTC-6, p...@mybox.or.yourbox.org wrote:
    Tim Radde wrote:

Back then I had an Ubuntu2004 5.8.0.3600 version (tar file). Now I downloaded a Debian version
    5.8.0.3608 (tar file). There is no Ubuntu version showing, but Ubuntu is based off of Debian so will
    try this the next time I get on that machine.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tim Radde@21:1/5 to Tim Radde on Sun Dec 11 16:09:18 2022
    Just installed the provided Debian binaries and so far looks Ok. I will attempt to compile eventually if I feel the need.

On Thursday, November 17, 2022 at 11:12:44 AM UTC-6, Tim Radde wrote:
    On Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at 12:23:38 PM UTC-6, p...@mybox.or.yourbox.org wrote:
    Tim Radde wrote:
    Back then I had an Ubuntu2004 5.8.0.3600 version (tar file). Now I downloaded a Debian version
    5.8.0.3608 (tar file). There is no Ubuntu version showing, but Ubuntu is based off of Debian so will
    try this the next time I get on that machine.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05