• TriBBS needs to be released to the public

From Domnia Jenn@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 2 10:16:52 2020
    I know its dead, I know nobody cares anymore, and there are many others out there to choose from. I just think as a former registered TriBBS sysop from the 90s, id love it if this software(and source) was uploaded somewhere public. Least it die away on
    someones hard drive never to be remembered. Google searching for stuff just brings you do this group, and to a 15yr old flame war. Thats not how I want to remember tribbs. Please release the source, whoever owns it. I have no dreams of it be resurected,
    or anyone actually working on it... but dont you (whoever you are) think this source code should be released? Why is it hidden away and any improvments that were made are lost to the ether. Its sad. My BBS may have been over 20 years ago, but some of
    my fondest computing memories.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From mike.anders.dev@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Domnia Jenn on Tue Jul 7 17:25:32 2020
    On Thursday, April 2, 2020 at 12:16:53 PM UTC-5, Domnia Jenn wrote:
    I know its dead, I know nobody cares anymore, and there are many others out there to choose from. I just think as a former registered TriBBS sysop from the 90s, id love it if this software(and source) was uploaded somewhere public. Least it die away
    on someones hard drive never to be remembered. Google searching for stuff just brings you do this group, and to a 15yr old flame war. Thats not how I want to remember tribbs. Please release the source, whoever owns it. I have no dreams of it be
    resurected, or anyone actually working on it... but dont you (whoever you are) think this source code should be released? Why is it hidden away and any improvments that were made are lost to the ether. Its sad. My BBS may have been over 20 years ago,
    but some of my fondest computing memories.

Wow, it's been a long time since I've seen a message in this group that wasn't spam!

It is unfortunate that TriBBS died the way it did. It too provided me many fond memories in my earlier years of computing.

[Just a little more than] 15 years ago, when I learned the owner intended to sell TriBBS, I was very eager to purchase so I could port it to 32-bit and add built-in support for Telnet. Alas, the owner never responded to any of my emails, despite having
    the time to participate in the flame war. One has to wonder how serious they really were about selling...

I agree, for nostalgia purposes, it would be nice for the source to be officially released somewhere public, like GitHub.

It seems like I did see a portion of the source (published to this group??) at some point; It wasn't entirely complete, but gave you a view into the core components.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)