• Current Time Plugin

From excalibur@21:1/10 to alt.bbs.excalibur,alt.bbs.jds on Mon Jan 28 12:34:00 2008
    From Newsgroup: alt.bbs.excalibur

Does anyone remember who created the current time plugin? I'm trying to find
    it so I can show the current BBS time here in Arizona. It would make it
    simpler for SysOp's wanting to join a Saturday SysOp chat to calculate what time they should call to join a chat. I get a headache trying to figure UDT, GMT, EDT, DST, UCT, spring forward, fall back etc.

Thanks,

Chris
    SEEN-BY: 1/10 205
  • From Chris - Insight Media BBS@21:1/10 to alt.bbs.excalibur,alt.bbs.jds on Mon Jan 28 13:24:00 2008

I have excaltime on the BBS extime.zip Excal BBS Local Time in Misc Plugins
    2 conference.

Here is some of the info from the readme.txt

Excal BBS Local Time
    Version 3.1
    Written By
    Larry F. Perry
    DooMs DaY BBS
    (972) 317-3806
    @204.255.98.12
    (c)opyright 1997

I wanted to display the local time on any screen when someone logged in, so
    I wrote this program. I wanted this mostly because I'm connected to the internet and someone logging in from anywhere in the world will know the
    local time.

This program is very simple, but there is a short set up, and then it's
    done. Version 3.0 seems to be very stable and it has been running for
    several days without problems. Once in a while the program quits when
    running Version 1.0 and I really couldn't understand why. As of Version
    2.0, I changed the exit command to ALT-X and this seemed to fix the random exit of the program. If you have this problem and figure out exactly what happens, please drop by the BBS and let me know, or E-Mail me at CEREBUS@INTEX.NET and tell me about it.

- INSTALLING THE PROGRAM -

First, make a separate directory for this program. You can call it anything you like. Unzip the files into the new directory.

Second step, edit the TIME.INI file using any text editor, notepad will work just fine, or any DOS editor, like EDIT. Below is a listing of the TIME.INI file. If your Excalibur directory is not the same as the one listed below [MAIN DIRECTORY], change it. Make sure you use the "trailing back-slash '\'
    in the path. Leave the TIME DISPLAY as it is, I may change it to allow 24
    hour time display in the future. Now, put the interval between updates
    under [INTERVAL]. This can be ONE, FIVE, or TEN. Other intervals are not recognized at this time. Next, add the name of all screens you wish to
    display the time on. You can list up to 100 screens. Mine are only on the various log in screens, they are the ones I listed here. Delete these, and add your own names. That's it for the INI file. Save it and go to the next step.

[MAIN DIRECTORY] This is the directory that contains your screens
    C:\EXCAL\SCR\
    [TIME DISPLAY] This is STANDARD or MILITARY
    STANDARD
    [INTERVAL] This is ONE - FIVE - TEN (Interval between screen updates)
    TEN
    [SCREENS] List of screens to update with TIME
    LOGIN.SCR
    LOGINN1.SCR
    LOGINN2.SCR
    LOGINN3.SCR
    [END]

Third step: Edit each of the screens you want to add the time to using Merlin. Add the following text in any font or color:

00:00 XX

You can place it anywhere on the screen, but it must be listed exactly as I have it here. (Those are zero's not "O's"). Once you have made these
    changes, copy all changed screens listed in your new INI file to the
    directory you made for this program. Be sure and read the warning below.

I've included an ICO file so you can associate the EXCALTME.EXE program with the icon I've provided. Make sure you start this program and it is running
    at all times while the Excal BBS is running. I just included it in my Start Up folder so I don't forget to run it. Since this is a DOS program, I set
    the DOS window to "minimized" after it starts. You can do what ever suits you. Set the window to close on program exit. In order to exit the
    program, click on it, then press the "Alt-X" keys.

That's all there is to it. Every 1, 5, or 10 minutes, all files are
    updated to the new local time.

<excalibur@frankenserver.org> wrote in message news:13privg1cdvitbf@corp.supernews.com...
    Does anyone remember who created the current time plugin? I'm trying to
    find
    it so I can show the current BBS time here in Arizona. It would make it simpler for SysOp's wanting to join a Saturday SysOp chat to calculate
    what
    time they should call to join a chat. I get a headache trying to figure
    UDT,
    GMT, EDT, DST, UCT, spring forward, fall back etc.

Thanks,

Chris

• From Chris - Insight Media BBS@21:1/10 to alt.bbs.excalibur,alt.bbs.jds on Mon Jan 28 13:35:00 2008

You can also use our Mail check plugin which includes the local time in the window... but not really what you are looking for eh?

Chris - Insight Media BBS
    @insightmedia.servebbs.com

"Chris - Insight Media BBS" <cb001k2213@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:JIknj.1612$3m6.201@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
    I have excaltime on the BBS extime.zip Excal BBS Local Time in Misc Plugins >2 conference.

Here is some of the info from the readme.txt

Excal BBS Local Time
    Version 3.1
    Written By
    Larry F. Perry
    DooMs DaY BBS
    (972) 317-3806
    @204.255.98.12
    (c)opyright 1997

I wanted to display the local time on any screen when someone logged in,
    so I wrote this program. I wanted this mostly because I'm connected to
    the internet and someone logging in from anywhere in the world will know
    the local time.

This program is very simple, but there is a short set up, and then it's done. Version 3.0 seems to be very stable and it has been running for several days without problems. Once in a while the program quits when running Version 1.0 and I really couldn't understand why. As of Version 2.0, I changed the exit command to ALT-X and this seemed to fix the random exit of the program. If you have this problem and figure out exactly what happens, please drop by the BBS and let me know, or E-Mail me at CEREBUS@INTEX.NET and tell me about it.

- INSTALLING THE PROGRAM -

First, make a separate directory for this program. You can call it
    anything you like. Unzip the files into the new directory.

Second step, edit the TIME.INI file using any text editor, notepad will
    work just fine, or any DOS editor, like EDIT. Below is a listing of the TIME.INI file. If your Excalibur directory is not the same as the one listed below [MAIN DIRECTORY], change it. Make sure you use the "trailing back-slash '\' in the path. Leave the TIME DISPLAY as it is, I may change
    it to allow 24 hour time display in the future. Now, put the interval between updates under [INTERVAL]. This can be ONE, FIVE, or TEN. Other intervals are not recognized at this time. Next, add the name of all
    screens you wish to display the time on. You can list up to 100 screens. Mine are only on the various log in screens, they are the ones I listed here. Delete these, and add your own names. That's it for the INI file. Save it and go to the next step.

[MAIN DIRECTORY] This is the directory that contains your screens C:\EXCAL\SCR\
    [TIME DISPLAY] This is STANDARD or MILITARY
    STANDARD
    [INTERVAL] This is ONE - FIVE - TEN (Interval between screen updates)
    TEN
    [SCREENS] List of screens to update with TIME
    LOGIN.SCR
    LOGINN1.SCR
    LOGINN2.SCR
    LOGINN3.SCR
    [END]

Third step: Edit each of the screens you want to add the time to using Merlin. Add the following text in any font or color:

00:00 XX

You can place it anywhere on the screen, but it must be listed exactly as
    I have it here. (Those are zero's not "O's"). Once you have made these changes, copy all changed screens listed in your new INI file to the directory you made for this program. Be sure and read the warning below.

I've included an ICO file so you can associate the EXCALTME.EXE program
    with the icon I've provided. Make sure you start this program and it is running at all times while the Excal BBS is running. I just included it
    in my Start Up folder so I don't forget to run it. Since this is a DOS program, I set the DOS window to "minimized" after it starts. You can do what ever suits you. Set the window to close on program exit. In order
    to exit the program, click on it, then press the "Alt-X" keys.

That's all there is to it. Every 1, 5, or 10 minutes, all files are updated to the new local time.

<excalibur@frankenserver.org> wrote in message news:13privg1cdvitbf@corp.supernews.com...
    Does anyone remember who created the current time plugin? I'm trying to
    find
    it so I can show the current BBS time here in Arizona. It would make it
    simpler for SysOp's wanting to join a Saturday SysOp chat to calculate
    what
    time they should call to join a chat. I get a headache trying to figure
    UDT,
    GMT, EDT, DST, UCT, spring forward, fall back etc.

Thanks,

Chris