From Avon Kerr@21:1/5 to MobbyG on Tue Nov 3 20:49:56 2015
    On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 21:32:24 -0700, MobbyG wrote:

Hey all! Well, if you've been checking out this group for a while, then
    you have read that I am working on a clone of CNet. I just wanted to
    talk a little about how far I am in my coding. as a disclaimer, I am FAR
    from a finished product. At best, this is a very early alpha.

Hi there, thanks for the update - and good for you on taking up this
    challenge. It's always good to see life coming back in to the BBS scene.

Message Bases are next up on my to do list. Once I have a simple local message base going, I plan on tackling FTN (Fido Technology Networks)
    using the JAM messageBase format. The docs for it are a little lean and
    the original code was written for C, so I'm trying to interpret it as
    best as I can. But it looks like I am going to simply have to hack it to
    get it to work for me.

Once the simple local base is done though, I plan on uploading my code
    to git so others can look at it and laugh or help. Hopefully help. But I
    want to have something that is somewhat usable before I put it up there.
    But I could change my mind and just do it.

But if anyone wants to see what I have now, just ask, and I will be
    happy to send you the code, with instructions on how to get it going on
    your computer.

If you need access to FTN info please feel free to sign up to Agency BBS
    (I'm the sysop) and I can offer you access to Fidonet echoareas that would allow you to tap in to other folks collective wisdom about Fido specs. The
    FTSC group are also worth a chat with as are other BBS developers. I'm
    working with the developer of Mystic BBS and he's very helpful and up the
    the latest on all things Fido / JAM.

For more on Agency BBS head to www.bbs.geek.nz or telnet in to agency.bbs.geek.nz

--
    Agency News | news.bbs.geek.nz

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Avon Kerr@21:1/5 to MobbyG on Fri Nov 13 20:12:15 2015
    On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 19:46:52 -0800, MobbyG wrote:

Hi there, thanks for the update - and good for you on taking up this
    challenge. It's always good to see life coming back in to the BBS
    scene.

Yeah, it's always nice to see that. But it does go in cycles, so I guess
    I'm on an up cycle. :D

..and so I think is BBS, it's certainly got a few more faces appearing in
    the echoareas etc. Mostly sysops setting up and running something for
    their own enjoyment - but hey that's fine :)

I may take you up on that, as the BBS I was running, using Mystic (coincidence?) no longer has a feed. I was getting it from Misery BBS in Canada, but it seems Frank has moved on. Oh well. First things first.

Yeah, I have talked to g00r00 a little about JAM. Since the code is now closed for Mystic, I can't go in and see how he is doing it. I do have
    the JAMLib docs, but it's for C and since I don't know C very well, I'm
    kind of hacking it right now.. But I still feel like I can get it. If I
    can get Zmodem xfers going, I should be able to do JAM message bases..

I have validated your BBS account, I suggest head to the message area, hit
    J to join the Agoranet Network and then A to choose 'BBS Discussion' area

Then R to read messages.... or I for an Indexed List of Message Bases.

g00r00 and others hang out there that could help.

Also in the Fidonet echoareas there will be some that I can follow up on
    and get back to you on where support can best be found.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MobbyG@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 29 21:32:24 2015
    Hey all! Well, if you've been checking out this group for a while, then you have read that I am working on a clone of CNet. I just wanted to talk a little about how far I am in my coding. as a disclaimer, I am FAR from a finished product. At best, this
    is a very early alpha.

1. The login routine seems to work. Checks for user and password. 3 bad attempts kicks you. New user function hasn't been started yet, but I am making notes on ideas and how to do it.

2. The Main menu right now is just hard coded options. I have worked on some ideas for aliases like CNet had. Currently, only the system info (INF), logoff (O), quick logoff (O!) and a simple test U(DBase) are working.

3. The UDBase mentioned above is just a testing one. It can only send a test file and receive files. There is no directory or descriptions yet. Currently only ZModem is active. X and Y Modem may come on in the future.

4. The News area is running and can show just newer news based on last call date, but I haven't yet setup last call date for the BBS as a whole. That will be coming down the line.

5. MCI is still a PITA. Simple stuff like clear screen and colors works, but cursor movements, reverse text and background colors as well as all the other stuff CNet had is still a ways away.

Message Bases are next up on my to do list. Once I have a simple local message base going, I plan on tackling FTN (Fido Technology Networks) using the JAM messageBase format. The docs for it are a little lean and the original code was written for C, so I'
    m trying to interpret it as best as I can. But it looks like I am going to simply have to hack it to get it to work for me.

Once the simple local base is done though, I plan on uploading my code to git so others can look at it and laugh or help. Hopefully help. But I want to have something that is somewhat usable before I put it up there. But I could change my mind and just
    do it.

But if anyone wants to see what I have now, just ask, and I will be happy to send you the code, with instructions on how to get it going on your computer.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From aubrey@activestudios.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 25 14:44:34 2016
    Is there a github project for this?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Fjolsvith Aase@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 26 06:42:19 2016
    I, too, would like to see this on GitHub.

Fjolsvith

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MobbyG@21:1/5 to MobbyG on Fri Jan 29 21:25:54 2016
    There is now....

https://github.com/mobbyg/anet_bbs

On Friday, October 30, 2015 at 12:32:24 AM UTC-4, MobbyG wrote:
    Hey all! Well, if you've been checking out this group for a while, then you have read that I am working on a clone of CNet. I just wanted to talk a little about how far I am in my coding. as a disclaimer, I am FAR from a finished product. At best, this
    is a very early alpha.

1. The login routine seems to work. Checks for user and password. 3 bad attempts kicks you. New user function hasn't been started yet, but I am making notes on ideas and how to do it.

2. The Main menu right now is just hard coded options. I have worked on some ideas for aliases like CNet had. Currently, only the system info (INF), logoff (O), quick logoff (O!) and a simple test U(DBase) are working.

3. The UDBase mentioned above is just a testing one. It can only send a test file and receive files. There is no directory or descriptions yet. Currently only ZModem is active. X and Y Modem may come on in the future.

4. The News area is running and can show just newer news based on last call date, but I haven't yet setup last call date for the BBS as a whole. That will be coming down the line.

5. MCI is still a PITA. Simple stuff like clear screen and colors works, but cursor movements, reverse text and background colors as well as all the other stuff CNet had is still a ways away.

Message Bases are next up on my to do list. Once I have a simple local message base going, I plan on tackling FTN (Fido Technology Networks) using the JAM messageBase format. The docs for it are a little lean and the original code was written for C, so
    I'm trying to interpret it as best as I can. But it looks like I am going to simply have to hack it to get it to work for me.

Once the simple local base is done though, I plan on uploading my code to git so others can look at it and laugh or help. Hopefully help. But I want to have something that is somewhat usable before I put it up there. But I could change my mind and just
    do it.

But if anyone wants to see what I have now, just ask, and I will be happy to send you the code, with instructions on how to get it going on your computer.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From spitfiretn@gmail.com@21:1/5 to MobbyG on Sun Apr 24 09:42:24 2016
    On Friday, January 29, 2016 at 11:25:55 PM UTC-6, MobbyG wrote:
    There is now....

https://github.com/mobbyg/anet_bbs

On Friday, October 30, 2015 at 12:32:24 AM UTC-4, MobbyG wrote:
    Hey all! Well, if you've been checking out this group for a while, then you have read that I am working on a clone of CNet. I just wanted to talk a little about how far I am in my coding. as a disclaimer, I am FAR from a finished product. At best,
    this is a very early alpha.

Message Bases are next up on my to do list. Once I have a simple local message base going, I plan on tackling FTN (Fido Technology Networks) using the JAM messageBase format. The docs for it are a little lean and the original code was written for C,
    so I'm trying to interpret it as best as I can. But it looks like I am going to simply have to hack it to get it to work for me.

Once the simple local base is done though, I plan on uploading my code to git so others can look at it and laugh or help. Hopefully help. But I want to have something that is somewhat usable before I put it up there. But I could change my mind and
    just do it.

I would like to log in if at all possible?

Spitfire
    telnet://rofbbs.ddns.net
    Facebook.com/ROFBBS

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MobbyG@21:1/5 to Avon Kerr on Thu Nov 5 19:46:52 2015
    On Tuesday, November 3, 2015 at 2:52:18 AM UTC-5, Avon Kerr wrote:
    On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 21:32:24 -0700, MobbyG wrote:

Hey all! Well, if you've been checking out this group for a while, then
    you have read that I am working on a clone of CNet. I just wanted to
    talk a little about how far I am in my coding. as a disclaimer, I am FAR from a finished product. At best, this is a very early alpha.

Hi there, thanks for the update - and good for you on taking up this challenge. It's always good to see life coming back in to the BBS scene.

Yeah, it's always nice to see that. But it does go in cycles, so I guess I'm on an up cycle. :D

Message Bases are next up on my to do list. Once I have a simple local message base going, I plan on tackling FTN (Fido Technology Networks)
    using the JAM messageBase format. The docs for it are a little lean and
    the original code was written for C, so I'm trying to interpret it as
    best as I can. But it looks like I am going to simply have to hack it to get it to work for me.

Once the simple local base is done though, I plan on uploading my code
    to git so others can look at it and laugh or help. Hopefully help. But I want to have something that is somewhat usable before I put it up there. But I could change my mind and just do it.

But if anyone wants to see what I have now, just ask, and I will be
    happy to send you the code, with instructions on how to get it going on your computer.

If you need access to FTN info please feel free to sign up to Agency BBS (I'm the sysop) and I can offer you access to Fidonet echoareas that would allow you to tap in to other folks collective wisdom about Fido specs. The FTSC group are also worth a chat with as are other BBS developers. I'm working with the developer of Mystic BBS and he's very helpful and up the the latest on all things Fido / JAM.

I may take you up on that, as the BBS I was running, using Mystic (coincidence?) no longer has a feed. I was getting it from Misery BBS in Canada, but it seems Frank has moved on. Oh well. First things first.

Yeah, I have talked to g00r00 a little about JAM. Since the code is now closed for Mystic, I can't go in and see how he is doing it. I do have the JAMLib docs, but it's for C and since I don't know C very well, I'm kind of hacking it right now.. But I
    still feel like I can get it. If I can get Zmodem xfers going, I should be able to do JAM message bases..

For more on Agency BBS head to www.bbs.geek.nz or telnet in to agency.bbs.geek.nz

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05