• A500 Mini

From Greenlfc@80:505/12 to All on Mon Feb 7 07:13:38 2022
    Hi all,

I'm not an Amiga guy, although I sub to several channels that routinely feature them which has piqued my interest. I'm curious what enthusiasts think about the upcoming A500 Mini. Reviews of previous mini releases have tended to be of the, "Neat, but why not just use a Pi," variety.

Allegedly you'll be able to sideload software, so there's the potential of turning it into a BBS machine, if it can communicate with the outside world, which would be fun. Thoughts?

GreenLFC º e> greenleaderfanclub@protonmail.com
    Infosec / Ham / Retro º masto> greenleaderfanclub@distrotoot
    Avoids Politics on BBS º gem> gemini.greenleader.xyz

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbs>>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (80:505/12)
  • From apam@80:505/14 to Greenlfc on Tue Feb 8 14:12:05 2022
    Allegedly you'll be able to sideload software, so there's the
    potential of turning it into a BBS machine, if it can communicate with
    the outside world, which would be fun. Thoughts?

I don't think running a BBS on it will be possible. The C64 mini (and
    maxi) have the ability to side load other software on it, but it has no
    serial or ethernet or anyway to talk to the outside world.

Probably better off with a raspberry pi (and it would probably be cheaper
    and easier to obtain if the C64 models are anything to go by)

Andrew
    --
    |03Andrew Pamment |08(|11apam|08)
    |13Happy|10Land |14v2.0|08!|07

--- Talisman v0.36-dev (Linux/x86_64)
    * Origin: HappyLand v2.0 - telnet://happylandbbs.com:11892/ (80:505/14)
  • From Greenlfc@80:505/12 to apam on Tue Feb 8 06:40:42 2022
    On 08 Feb 2022, apam said the following...
    I don't think running a BBS on it will be possible. The C64 mini (and maxi) have the ability to side load other software on it, but it has no serial or ethernet or anyway to talk to the outside world.

Probably better off with a raspberry pi (and it would probably be cheaper and easier to obtain if the C64 models are anything to go by)

I had a feeling that would probably be the case, seeing how the C64 went, as you point out. It's a pity if the manufacturer doesn't connect some kind of networking to the guest OS. I used an A500 once it my young teens at a friend's house to play Batman, but that's the limit of my hands on experience.

GreenLFC º e> greenleaderfanclub@protonmail.com
    Infosec / Ham / Retro º masto> greenleaderfanclub@distrotoot
    Avoids Politics on BBS º gem> gemini.greenleader.xyz

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Raspberry Pi/32)
  • From Ginger1 to Greenlfc on Tue Feb 8 20:59:55 2022
    Re: A500 Mini
    By: Greenlfc to All on Mon Feb 07 2022 07:13:38

I'm not an Amiga guy, although I sub to several channels that routinely feature them which has piqued my interest. I'm curious what enthusiasts
    think about the upcoming A500 Mini. Reviews of previous mini releases have tended to be of the, "Neat, but why not just use a Pi," variety.

Allegedly you'll be able to sideload software, so there's the potential of turning it into a BBS machine, if it can communicate with the outside
    world, which would be fun. Thoughts?

I probably am an Amiga guy. I also have a C64 mini (but never properly had a C64 back in the day). The problem for me with these emulators-in-plastic is they end up feeling like a jukebox of a load of games. It's too easy to just drop out of one and try another when you don't know what you're doing or it gets a bit tricky. There's no real investment in the experience - buying the game, taking the time to load it in, reading the manual in bed to properly get to grips with it. So it just feels a bit fake and disatisfying.

Maybe my 2020s brain is so addled with clickbait/Youtube dopamine addiction, it can't stick to any one thing long enough for it to be enjoyable.

Anyway, for me the Amiga was much less about games and more about DPaint, BBSing, diskmags, demos, word processing etc. I'm not sure the A500 mini is going to be much cop in those areas.
  • From SoDa7@80:505/12 to Greenlfc on Wed Nov 23 13:51:22 2022
    Honestly, I have my doubts that this one will be used for BBSing in general. The machine is actually pretty limited in interaction, and even with all the firmware mods available, it's not likely it ill be used for BBSing in general.

To me it looks just like an emulator with a licensed kickstart, and mostly to play games rather than else.

... I despise the pleasure of pleasing people whom I despise.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/15 (Linux/64)