• Chat with Sysop

From Keyop to All on Sat Aug 5 20:55:18 2023
    When I first started running QuickBBS-ST in the 90's, "Page the Sysop" was a feature which was used often by BBS users to contact me.

It was a really simple concept - select Page the Sysop and my Atari ST (running the BBS software) would beep and flash and if I was around to hear or see the page, I could drop in for a chat with whoever was trying to page me.

Fast forward to the 2020s and much of Magnum BBS is now running on server infrastructure within data centres far away from my local computer room.

So until now the "Chat with Sysop" option has only send me an email saying that someone tried to page me and by the time I've read it, the user has already logged off.

A new feature within Sychronet which uses the MQTT (mosquitto) IOT (internet of things) protocol, has now meant that I've been able to add a local sysop page feature just like the old days!

The "Chat with Sysop" option from the Chat Menu ([C]hat Section from the main menu, then [C]hat with Sysop) will now make a sound in the room where my local computer is if anyone tries to page me.

Please note that after hearing the page, I still need time to login and get to the chat option so that I can chat, so give me time before giving up and logging off.

Any problems or bugs - please let me know.

Keyop