• Conventional Hybrids

From Warpslide@21:3/110 to All on Sat May 29 08:42:23 2021
    Hi All,

The lease was up on my Ford Escape so I went to trade it in for a new one.

Not sure if it was because of covid, but there was all kinds of deals to be had. It seemed to be for about the same price I was paying for my "normal"
    gas engine I was able to get a conventional hybrid which also has all wheel drive.

This is my first experience with a hybrid & I've only had it 11 days so far.

I'm currently at 750km and still have 1/4 of a tank (the first tank of gas the Escape came with) and the dash says that 1/4 of a tank should get me ~128
    more km's.

I was having fun driving around playing with when it would switch between the gas & electric engine. Doesn't matter how fast you're going, if you're going downhill the electric engine always kicks in. Stopped at a stop sign/traffic light is almost always electric as well. Getting up to speed on the highway
    is usually has as is going uphill.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that electric also works at highway speeds.

We have a lower speed "expressway" through the city where the speed limit is 90kph. When getting on the expressway the gas engine was on to get me up to speed, then I put cruise control on at 100kph (I usually drive 10 over the limit) and then noticed that the car had switched to electric. The
    expressway is pretty level and straight & I was able to drive the entire
    length of the expressway on electric. I exited and stopped at the traffic light & it once I started moving again the gas engine kicked in for a bit.

Does anyone else have (or have had) a hybrid? What was your experience with it?

Jay
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Northern Realms (21:3/110)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Warpslide on Sun May 30 20:39:23 2021
    On 29 May 2021 at 08:42a, Warpslide pondered and said...

I've driven a prius at work and found it OK but ugly. It did what was said on the box but when I told my wife she laughed at me :) :)
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Warpslide@21:3/110 to Avon on Sun May 30 08:14:04 2021
    On 30 May 2021, Avon said the following...

I've driven a prius at work and found it OK but ugly. It did what was
    said on the box but when I told my wife she laughed at me :) :)

LOL, luckily this vehicle is a little easier on the eyes than a prius.

https://ibb.co/vBd3w8v

Though the hood/bonnet looks a little more "car" like than my last model.
    I'm sure it'll grow on me.

Jay
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Northern Realms (21:3/110)