• First Car

From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Wed May 26 11:29:10 2021
    What was the first car you learned to drive in?

For me it was a Triumph Herald station wagon that my parents owned. It was a manual (like they all were then) and had really nice wooden paneling with the interior.

I sometimes still see this type of car on the road and I get very nostalgic :) --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Gamgee@21:2/138 to Avon on Thu May 27 08:53:00 2021
    Avon wrote to All <=-

For me it was a Triumph Herald station wagon that my parents
    owned. It was a manual (like they all were then) and had really
    nice wooden paneling with the interior.

For me it was a 1964 Toyota Land Cruiser (looked a lot like a Jeep).
    Manual transmission ("three on the tree" style). Pretty basic/primitive interior trim. No power steering/brakes of course, back in those days.
    Took a little strength just to drive it. ;-)

... I'll be unstoppable when I get started.
    === MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (21:2/138)
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to Gamgee on Thu May 27 10:18:44 2021
    For me it was a 1964 Toyota Land Cruiser (looked a lot like a Jeep). Manual transmission ("three on the tree" style). Pretty basic/primitive interior trim. No power steering/brakes of course, back in those days. Took a little strength just to drive it. ;-)

Very cool truck - my father always talked about 'three on the tree' shifters. [I think he had that on a Nova... and he, being a little older I'd assume, spoke about a 'slap-shifter' before that.] I remember those -power steering cars when I was too young to drive, too.

My first truck was a 1981 Toyota Pickup... like the one Marty in Back to the Future drove, but NOT jacked up at all... the little one. :P It was a great first car... couldn't get into too much trouble with it but it drove and drove and drove. The only downfall was that those years the pickup truck bed would rust halfway down on both sides. When mine started to show signs of that, and I was a know-everything 18 year old, I had to shop for my first 'new' car.

Cheers.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/05/03 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: 2o for beeRS>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Gamgee on Fri May 28 16:22:17 2021
    On 27 May 2021 at 08:53a, Gamgee pondered and said...

For me it was a 1964 Toyota Land Cruiser (looked a lot like a Jeep). Manual transmission ("three on the tree" style). Pretty basic/primitive interior trim. No power steering/brakes of course, back in those days. Took a little strength just to drive it. ;-)

Nice :) That reference to days without power steering takes me back too :)
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Windows/32)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Avon on Fri May 28 21:14:00 2021

By the time I was looking to learn to drive there was no family car, so the only things I drove were the "instructor's" car.. no idea what it was now other than manuela...

The first car I owned though.... chuckle was a 1972 Toyota Celica. 5spd manual, no power steering, extra rubber to make it heavier :P I think it was about $2k at the time. Shame I destroyed it, they're over $20k now.

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    --- SuperBBS v1.17-3 (Eval)
    * Origin: A camel is a horse designed by a committee. (21:3/101)
  • From Lupine Furmen@21:4/102 to Avon on Fri May 28 08:15:04 2021

That would have been my `73 Mercury Comet GT Fastback. Goddess, I miss that car.
    ---

Before the Web - telnet: furmenservices.net:23232
    Legends of Yesteryear (FIDO 1:123/256) - telnet: furmenservices.net:23322
    Sound Source ]|[ - telnet: furmenservices.net:2323
    Furmen's Folly (FIDO 1:123/257) - telnet: furmenservices.net:23233

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Before the Web (21:4/102)
  • From N1uro@21:4/107 to Avon on Fri May 28 10:56:00 2021
    Hello Avon;

In driver's ed they had some sort of a compact japanese car, I want to say
    a honda? You think my memory banks can go back that far? <G> I also had a learner's permit which I drove my dad's 1970's GMC Jimmy pickup truck.

I did set some history in driver's ed. Never driving stick, they told me
    it'd take at least 2 hours in the parking lot before hitting the street to
    get used to the clutch. I was driving in the streets in 15 minutes :)

When I got my license and my first car, I bought my mum's car so she could get a new one... it was an Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royal - I kept waiting for the
    Army to come get their tank back :D

... The guy who fell onto an upholstery machine was fully recovered.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    * Origin: Carnage! Hartford, Ct (21:4/107)
  • From k9zw@21:1/224 to Avon on Thu May 27 06:19:13 2021

IHC Scout with manual everything. The Scout was a Landrover type offering
    from International Harvestor Company that basically embraced a the
    experience of driving a large truck in a small package! Later I banged it up enough off road that it was retired.

Really it was a poor choice for a new driver, other than being hard to break. --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: SPOT BBS -- k9zw (21:1/224)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Spectre on Sat May 29 11:49:00 2021
    On 28 May 2021 at 09:14p, Spectre pondered and said...

The first car I owned though.... chuckle was a 1972 Toyota Celica. 5spd manual,

no power steering, extra rubber to make it heavier :P I think it was
    about $2k at the time. Shame I destroyed it, they're over $20k now.

Mine was a Mini Clubman, bright yellow with a black roof. Looked like a fat bumble bee :) I miss that car, it was a fun and zippy thing for the time I drove it.
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Lupine Furmen on Sat May 29 11:49:40 2021
    On 28 May 2021 at 08:15a, Lupine Furmen pondered and said...

That would have been my `73 Mercury Comet GT Fastback. Goddess, I miss that car.

Do you see any of them on the roads these days? I guess like all things the older they get the rarer they are to spot/see.
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to N1uro on Sat May 29 11:58:21 2021
    On 28 May 2021 at 10:56a, N1uro pondered and said...

I did set some history in driver's ed. Never driving stick, they told me it'd take at least 2 hours in the parking lot before hitting the street
    to get used to the clutch. I was driving in the streets in 15 minutes :)

Well done you :)

I went for my license at 15 which was the legal age young people could obtain one back in the eighties... they have since lifted it here in NZ to 16 years
    of age.

Back then you had an oral exam with a member of the ministry of transport asking you a bunch of questions and I think there was an eye test too. There was also a written then. You did all of that if you passed you booked in to come back at another time to sit the practical test.

For that an officer sat in the front passenger seat and asked you to drive around the city for 20 mins, I recall doing a hill start and having to
    parallel park.

Thankfully I passed but from memory it may have taken me two attempts to do so... memory is a bit woolly now.
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to k9zw on Sat May 29 11:59:07 2021
    On 27 May 2021 at 06:19a, k9zw pondered and said...

Really it was a poor choice for a new driver, other than being hard to break.

That was probably the reason you go it?
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Spectre on Sat May 29 17:09:00 2021
    On 05-28-21 21:14, Spectre wrote to Avon <=-

By the time I was looking to learn to drive there was no family car, so the only things I drove were the "instructor's" car.. no idea what it
    was now other than manuela...

My instructor had a Toyota, I think. My first car was a Holden Torana, which I had for several years. 3 on the floor and no power steering, but that never gave me trouble.

The first car I owned though.... chuckle was a 1972 Toyota Celica. 5spd manual, no power steering, extra rubber to make it heavier :P I think
    it was about $2k at the time. Shame I destroyed it, they're over $20k
    now.

My Torana's clutch was rapidly dying as I drove it to the car yard to trade it in on a Mitsubishi Sigma. :)

... I once boxed a pirate, he had a strong right hook
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)
  • From acn@21:3/127.1 to Avon on Sat May 29 11:43:00 2021
    Am 26.05.21 schrieb Avon@21:1/101 in FSX_TRANSPORT:

Hallo Avon,

I got my driving license in 1998, the car that I learned on was an Opel
    Astra (manual, of course, it's Germany here *g*).
    The license I got is for cars and motorcycles, as I wanted to drive a
    scooter (125 ccm), which is only legal with a motorcycle license here.
    So, I got an Aprilia Leonardo scooter and drove it for ~9 years.

But, after I got my license, I didn't drive a car for ~2 years, but then I had to drive Sprinter-like transporters for one year (and some cars),
    which taught me a little about the right usage of side mirrors when
    driving backwards without a back window :)

My first own car was a Citroen C3, which I bought as a new car in 2006. I would have bought a used one, but at that time there weren't much used
    cars available as the state offered some money if you buy a new car and
    give your old car to the scrapyard...

Regards,
    Anna
    --- OpenXP 5.0.50
    * Origin: Imzadi Box Point (21:3/127.1)
  • From Warpslide@21:3/110 to Avon on Sat May 29 09:35:03 2021
    On 29 May 2021, Avon said the following...

Back then you had an oral exam with a member of the ministry of transport asking you a bunch of questions and I think there was an eye test too. There was also a written then. You did all of that if you passed you booked in to come back at another time to sit the practical test.

When my older brother got his license at age 16 it was a simple written test
    to get your beginners/learners license which everyone called your "365", where you could drive by yourself. You had "up to" 365 days to book your road test to get your full license, but there wasn't a minimum amount of time required. It was quite common for someone to get their "365" and then their full G license in the same week.

By the time I became old enough, Ontario had adopted a graduated licensing scheme. You start off with your G1 license, where you can only drive if another fully licensed driver is in the vehicle with you & you can't drive on any of Ontario's major highways. You also cannot drive between midnight and 5am & must have a zero blood alcohol level. You have your G1 for 12 months
    (or 8 months if you take a driver's education course). There is a written
    test to get your G1.

After the 8 or 12 months, you can then move to the G2 license. There is a
    road test where you drive with a government examiner. With your G2 license
    you can drive by yourself and drive on Ontario's major highways, you must
    still have a zero blood alcohol level. There are some restrictions for passengers if you're under 19 and driving between midnight and 5am.

After 12 months with your G2 you can then book a second road test with a government examiner where you move to your full G license. With your full G license you can now drive with a blood alcohol level of less than 0.05.

12 months. There is a second road test to get your G2.
    At any license level you cannot drive under the influence of cannabis. Except if used for medical purposes, in which case it is your responsibility to
    ensure you are not impaired while driving.

You have to complete the entire graduated licensing process in 5 years. If
    you don't feed you're ready after 12 months with a G1 you can still hold that license longer than those 12 months until you feel you are ready. However if you have a G2 and exceed the 5 years, you go back to G1 and have to start all over.

Jay
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Northern Realms (21:3/110)
  • From k9zw@21:1/224 to Avon on Sat May 29 07:20:46 2021
    On 29 May 2021, Avon said the following...
    Really it [International Scout] was a poor choice for a new driver, other than being hard to break.

That was probably the reason you go it?

That and the other family choices were less suited for other reasons. Father had a sleeper street racer, biggest Buick engine in a huge four door that had been tuned/hotrodded to be very powerful and fast.

Mother has a lady's pretty car that just she drove as a rule.

As rugged as the Scout was I already knew how to move and back large straight trucks from a warehousing job where I was not supposed to drive but wink-wink the old timers found it easier to let me move things in the yard. Could also drive a forklift and skidsteer by then, and had plenty of snowmobile and boat driving experience. ATVs were not very common then around here, and while I had been in a few planes I didn't learn to fly until later in life.

The combined experiences proved useful later.

All best,

Steve
    K9ZW
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
  • From Bucko@21:4/131 to Avon on Sat May 29 08:21:03 2021
    Hmm first car I owned was a 74 Pontiac Ventura 2 Door. It was a straight 6
    cyl. Good car, since I was a hot rod head! I pulled the straight 6 and shoehorned in a 1971 Pontiac 400 in it out of a junked 71 Grand Prix. In
    1974 Pontiac released the GTO which was based on the Ventura, it was
    basically a Ventura with 350 motor, Trans Am hood scoop, and GTO badging. I
    cut the hood up put a Trans Am functional hood scoop off a 71 SD455 on the
    air cleaner and threw a set of Cragar SS wheels on it with at the time 60 series tires all around, I also beefed up the suspension by installing a off brand handling package (sway bars, front springs, and shocks all around) I
    also sent the rear leaf springs out to be re-done to add a leaf to it to give it more stability and to lift the rear end of the car about 3 inches. I also lifted the front 2 inches, what this did was give the car a much more aggressive stance and much better handling.. Repainted from a crappy gold to Blue with black stripes going from front to back over the hood, roof, and
    trunk lid, moved the shifter off the column to the floor put a Trans Am
    Console and Trans Am front Seats in it.. This took me 3 years to do and about 10 to 15 grand (The paint was the majority of that coming in at a little over $5 grand). This was a lot of cash for a 17-20 year old kid who was working
    part time, I ended dropping out of College so I could work full time to have more money.. The car was stolen while at a county fair, alarm and all.. So
    that is my story!
    * Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (21:4/131)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Bucko on Sun May 30 20:35:15 2021
    On 29 May 2021 at 08:21a, Bucko pondered and said...

Trans Am front Seats in it.. This took me 3 years to do and about 10 to
    15 grand (The paint was the majority of that coming in at a little over
    $5 grand). This was a lot of cash for a 17-20 year old kid who was
    working part time, I ended dropping out of College so I could work full time to have more money.. The car was stolen while at a county fair,
    alarm and all.. So that is my story!

Wow and ouch! Did they ever recover the car or was it on to car number two at that stage?
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to k9zw on Sun May 30 20:38:06 2021
    On 29 May 2021 at 07:20a, k9zw pondered and said...

As rugged as the Scout was I already knew how to move and back large straight trucks from a warehousing job where I was not supposed to drive but wink-wink the old timers found it easier to let me move things in
    the yard. Could also drive a forklift and skidsteer by then, and had plenty of snowmobile and boat driving experience. ATVs were not very

My younger son has worked at a garden center where he too has done this sort
    of thing :)

common then around here, and while I had been in a few planes I didn't learn to fly until later in life.

When did you learn to fly? Do you think there's an age when folks are (for
    want of a better word) past it, to learn such things?
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Warpslide on Sun May 30 20:52:50 2021
    On 29 May 2021 at 09:35a, Warpslide pondered and said...

You have to complete the entire graduated licensing process in 5 years. If you don't feed you're ready after 12 months with a G1 you can still hold that license longer than those 12 months until you feel you are ready. However if you have a G2 and exceed the 5 years, you go back to
    G1 and have to start all over.

this sounds similar to here in New Zealand Jay.

Here they start of at 16 and can get a learners licence, you get this by leaning the road code and doing some basic exams to pass a theory test. Then you can drive with L plates and must have a supervisor with you in the car at all times. This is someone who has had a full licence for more than 2 years.

You can carry passengers but the supervisor has to agree and is responsible
    for them. If you're under 20 years old, you must not drive if you have had any alcohol.If you're 20 or older, you must not drive if you have more than: 50 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood, or 250 micrograms of alcohol per litre of breath.

A restricted licence is the second step of the three-stage process to get a full driver licence. You must be at least 16 and a half years old before you can apply for your restricted licence. You also must have held your learner licence for at least six months. You pay and book in for a practical driving test you need to pass. This lasts about 45 mins on the road with a testing officer.

Here's the conditions of a restricted licence

[snip]

Between 5am and 10pm you can drive on your own.

Between 10pm and 5am you can only drive if you have a supervisor in the front passenger seat.

If you're driving without a supervisor, you can only take a passenger if they are:
    - Your spouse or partner (for example the person you live with as if you're married or in a civil union)
    - A child who is financially dependent on you or your spouse (for example you're their parent or guardian)
    - Your parent or guardian
    - Relatives that live with you and are on a social security benefit
    - Someone you look after as their primary caregiver.

Be prepared to show evidence to a police officer if requested.

If you sit your restricted practical test in an automatic vehicle, you'll have a condition on your licence that means you can only drive automatic vehicles. This condition doesn't apply if you have a supervisor with you.

[snip]

..and the alcohol limits still apply as before.

The finally you can go for a full licence.

Minimum age is 18, unless you do a course. If you have completed an approved advanced driving course, you can get your full licence once you turn 17 and a half. If you haven't completed an advanced driving course, then you must be 18 before you can get your full licence.

Plus there are these hoops.

You must hold your restricted licence for a minimum time

Drivers under 25 years

If you have completed an advanced driving course, then you must have held
    your restricted licence for at least 12 months before you can get your full licence.

If you have not completed a course, then you must have held your restricted licence for at least 18 months.

Drivers 25 or over

If you have completed an advanced driving course, then you must have held
    your restricted licence for at least 3 months before you can get your full licence.

If you have not completed a course, then you must have held your restricted licence for at least 6 months.

Then you pay and apply to sit a full licence practical test which is a 30 minute test with a testing officer, who will assess whether your driving is good enough to progress to the next level of driver licence.

Pass it and you get a full class 1 licence - phew :)
  • From k9zw@21:1/224 to Avon on Sun May 30 18:00:37 2021
    common then around here, and while I had been in a few planes I didn' learn to fly until later in life.

When did you learn to fly? Do you think there's an age when folks are
    (for want of a better word) past it, to learn such things?

I leared to fly in my late 20's I had taken a lesson hear and there for
    about ten years, but realized I need to focus on job skills rather than
    flight (I had no interest in being a commercial pilot).

Picked up SEL, SES, MEL and a few extra endorsements along the way. (SEL - Single Engine Land, SES - Single Engine Seaplane and MEL - Multi Engine Land).

I know some very good recreational pilots who didn't start training until
    they had retired. One retired school teacher balanced flying with her
    children book writing passion.

Owning a plane is often financially around putting a kid through University, but there are some frugal ways to get in and stay in the hobby.

Keep thinking of going back at it again, as I have been on pilot hiatus for
    too long. Undecided if I would use the skills for anything useful?

Personally I simply LOVED the naviagtion, of course I found the radios familiar, and I liked doing the service work that the rules allowed me to do.

Steve
    K9ZW
    --- Steve K9ZW via SPOT BBS

• From deon@21:2/116 to k9zw on Mon May 31 09:38:18 2021
    Re: Re: Learning to fly
    By: k9zw to Avon on Sun May 30 2021 06:00 pm

I leared to fly in my late 20's I had taken a lesson hear and there for about ten years, but realized I need to focus on job skills rather than flight (I had no interest in being a commercial pilot).

So I started learning in my late 30's and absolutely love it.

Likewise, I had no interest in being a commercial pilot (or rather would like to have given it a go, but wasnt willing to forgo my current income and take on an expense that probably would have my learning less).

I havent dont much flying in the last 10 years - found a wife and had children, but I would love to get back into it.

I was somewhat excited when he was 2-4 years old, that he was fascinated by planes, and I was thinking ripper, I can get back into it and take him with me. Sadly he's lost that interest.

I've only got about 100hrs or so up my sleeve - so maybe oneday I can make it to 200... it is an expensive hobby :(

...ëîåï

... Diplomacy is the art of letting someone else have your way.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: I'm playing with ANSI+videotex - wanna play too? (21:2/116)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Avon on Mon May 31 16:46:00 2021
    On 05-30-21 20:52, Avon wrote to Warpslide <=-

this sounds similar to here in New Zealand Jay.

*whew* that sounds complicated.

I've lost track of all the details here in Victoria, because they've changed totally since I got my licence, over 30 years ago. But what I do know:

You can get your Ls at 16 by sitting the written test (and passing ;) ). Once you have your Ls, you can only drive with a supervising driver (someone with a full licence) in the front passenger seat. You also have to keep a logbook and log a minimum number of hours driving under varied conditions.

To get your licence (red Ps initially), you have to pass another written test, as well as a practical driving test. You also have to have done all prerequisites (number of hours logged, etc).

You stay on your Ps for 12 months (normally), and then green Ps for another 2 years (I think). P plate drivers must have 0.00% BAC, and IIRC, red P plate drivers can only carry one "peer passenger" (young person who's not a family member). Mobile phone use is also banned, including hands free (at least for red Ps, don't know about green). From this time, you can drive on your own (but don't ask me about any other general restrictions!). I'm not entirely sure how the rules work around "automatic only" licences these days. I got mine in a manual anyway (and still drive a manual by choice).

Full licence holders can have a BAC of up to 0.05%, but severe penalties apply for being even slightly over. Mobile phone use is restricted to hands free operation, even touching your phone is considered "using", and will attract a hefty fine and demerit points.

As for "advanced driving" courses, I've done a similar course as part of my emergency service volunteering, and I support incentives to get more drivers doing quality driving courses, aimed at improving their driving habits. The course I did certainly made me aware of a lot of more things on the road and points of road law.

... If the British can survive their meals, they can survive anything.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Avon on Mon May 31 16:48:00 2021
    On 05-30-21 20:38, Avon wrote to k9zw <=-

One of those things I'd love to do, and I have a head start on some of the theory, given that I have a good understanding of meteorology, but I suspect time and money will always be against me. :/

I need another lifetime.

... A crises is when you CAN'T say let's forget about the whole thing!
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Blue White@21:4/134 to Avon on Wed Jun 2 16:20:59 2021
    Avon wrote to All <=-

For me it was a Triumph Herald station wagon that my parents owned. It
    was a manual (like they all were then) and had really nice wooden
    paneling with the interior.

I sometimes still see this type of car on the road and I get very nostalgic :)

1967 AMC Rambler American

I was not very nostalgic about it at the time but, after a few years with
    cars where the "high tech" failed, I really wish I still had that car.

... 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.
    --- MultiMail
    * Origin: Possum Lodge South * possumso.fsxnet.nz:7636/SSH:2122 (21:4/134)
  • From Blue White@21:4/134 to k9zw on Wed Jun 2 16:21:50 2021
    k9zw wrote to Avon <=-

IHC Scout with manual everything. The Scout was a Landrover type
    offering from International Harvestor Company that basically embraced a the experience of driving a large truck in a small package! Later I banged it up enough off road that it was retired.

Really it was a poor choice for a new driver, other than being hard to break.

Like my Rambler, that'd be a collector's item now!

... Computer Hacker wanted. Must have own axe.
    --- MultiMail
    * Origin: Possum Lodge South * possumso.fsxnet.nz:7636/SSH:2122 (21:4/134)
  • From Mauro Veiga@21:1/181 to AVON on Thu Jun 3 14:10:00 2021
    * Reply to msg originally in FsxNet FSX_TST FSX-NET Test Arena

For me it was a Triumph Herald station wagon that my parents owned. I was a manual (like they all were then) and had really nice wooden paneling with the interior.

I sometimes still see this type of car on the road and I get very nostalgic :) -!- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Windows/32)

I learned on a VW Beatle from drive school. My first car was a
    Chevy Opala Coup‚ (brazilian version of Opel Rekord 67) with a L4
    151 cid american engine (from Chevy Nova) with a 3 speed column
    transmission and full bench seat. The unique photo i have (1981):

http://pics.rsh.ru/img/Familia18-crop_dc9t1kiy.jpg

Nice... :)

Strange thing is that your reply has landed in FSX_TEST and not FSX_TRANSPORT ... can you check your export settings for me :)

Strange, but I think it was a local error with QWK offline posting.
    Now i post on right area.

... A real street rodders music comes from the tailpipes.
    ___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Win32
    * Origin: Ninho do Abutre 2 - Rio de Janeiro, Brasil * (21:1/181)
  • From Ogg@21:4/106.21 to Warpslide on Sun Jun 6 11:34:00 2021
    Hello Warpslide!

** On Saturday 29.05.21 - 09:35, Warpslide wrote to Avon:

[...]

You have to complete the entire graduated licensing process
    in 5 years. If you don't feed you're ready after 12 months
    with a G1 you can still hold that license longer than those
    12 months until you feel you are ready. However if you
    have a G2 and exceed the 5 years, you go back to G1 and
    have to start all over.

It was so simple back in my day. One test. Boom, G received.

Over the years, I got an M license as well. Very easy. I took a
    gov't recognized motorcycle course (4 or 6, 2 hour classes)..
    one parkinglot obstacle/training exam. Boom, M received.
    --- OpenXP 5.0.50
    * Origin: Ogg's WestCoast Point (21:4/106.21)
  • From Bucko@21:1/172 to Avon on Sat Jul 24 22:01:12 2021
    On 30 May 2021, Avon said the following...

Wow and ouch! Did they ever recover the car or was it on to car number
    two at that stage?

Wow never saw this response.. It was on to car #2 at that point. They did recover a carcas of the car about a year or so later in the South Bronx, the Police contacted me to say they found it and if I wanted to come see what was left of it, where I could see it. I went and told the insurance company to crush what was left. The motor was half gone, the interior was gone, the
    wheels and tires along with just about everything else.. Wasn't worth the rebuild..
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: The Bottomless Abyss BBS * bbs.bottomlessabyss.net (21:1/172)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Bucko on Thu Jul 29 16:25:33 2021
    On 24 Jul 2021 at 10:01p, Bucko pondered and said...

the Police contacted me to say they found it and if I wanted to come see what was left of it, where I could see it. I went and told the insurance company to crush what was left. The motor was half gone, the interior
    was gone, the wheels and tires along with just about everything else.. Wasn't worth the rebuild..

Sounds like a good idea... cool they found the car though.
  • From Greenlfc@21:2/150 to Avon on Thu Jul 29 14:40:03 2021
    On 29 Jul 2021, Avon said the following...

On 24 Jul 2021 at 10:01p, Bucko pondered and said...

the Police contacted me to say they found it and if I wanted to come what was left of it, where I could see it. I went and told the insura company to crush what was left. The motor was half gone, the interior was gone, the wheels and tires along with just about everything else.

Sounds like a good idea... cool they found the car though.

My kid's car was stolen off of a college campus. Something like eight months later, the cops call him and tell them they've found it. He had moved away, so the cops arranged with my wife to go look at it.

It had been spotted by helicopter, half a mile from our house. It was down a steep hill at the bottom of a sort of gully, surrounded by trees. You could *just* see it from the road if you looked down the hill at the right angle. We later determined that they Dukes of Hazzard-ed it off the hill by looking at the tire marks and the spot where the driver cracked their head on the windshield :D.

The cop never even went down and checked it, he said, "if you find a body or anything, let us know," and took off. It was going to cost us several THOUSAND dollars of professional help to fish it out, insurance wouldn't cover it, and it had been sitting down there open to the elements probably since it was stolen.

Finally, I had a few friends with trucks and chains help me get it out over the course of a day, then once it was at street level AAA towed it home.

I charged up the battery and it started on the second crank. The entire front end was mangled and it wouldn't move under its own power, but we sold it to a couple of demolition derby guys for $200, so that was something at least.

GreenLFC º e> greenleaderfanclub@protonmail.com
    Infosec / Ham / Retro º masto> greenleaderfanclub@distrotoot
    Avoids Politics on BBS º gem> gemini.greenleader.xyz
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/07/28 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: 2o for beeRS>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)
  • From Ogg@21:4/106.21 to Greenlfc on Thu Jul 29 23:52:00 2021
    Hello Greenlfc!

** On Thursday 29.07.21 - 14:40, Greenlfc wrote to Avon:

My kid's car was stolen off of a college campus. Something
    like eight months later...

...We later determined that they Dukes of Hazzard-ed it off
    the hill by looking at the tire marks and the spot where
    the driver cracked their head on the windshield :D.

The cop never even went down and checked it, he said, "if
    you find a body or anything, let us know," and took off.

Funny that the cops showed little to no concern for clues of a
    suspect.

..insurance wouldn't cover it,...

Not surprised. Insurance companies will always look for an
    excuse if anything doesn't appear normal.

[...] sold it to a couple of demolition derby guys for
    $200, so that was something at least.

A reasonable outcome!
    --- OpenXP 5.0.50
    * Origin: Ogg's WestCoast Point (21:4/106.21)
  • From The Godfather@21:1/165 to Avon on Fri Aug 6 12:01:59 2021

My mom owned a Subaru hatch back in 1986ish (I believe thats when I got my learners permit). It was a stick shift and we lived in Colorado. May her rest in peace, having had to teach me to drive up and down snow and ice packed busy roads during the middle of winter. I'm still unclear how either of us survived.

I did not own a car until moving to my dads. He had a 1975 Chevy Vega towed to our house, handed me a chilton's owners manual for that make/model vehicle, and told me if I could get it working, it was mine. I got it working, frequently and repetitively, but it was nice to have my own wheels. I even had a buddy put air shocks on for me, we both had the intent of putting a smaller/lighter V8 in it, but never got around to doing so.

-tG

... Honk if you love peace and quiet!
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/07/30 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: www.theunderground.us:10023 (21:1/165)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to The Godfather on Sat Aug 7 15:57:25 2021
    On 06 Aug 2021 at 12:01p, The Godfather pondered and said...

My mom owned a Subaru hatch back in 1986ish (I believe thats when I got
    my learners permit). It was a stick shift and we lived in Colorado.
    May her rest in peace, having had to teach me to drive up and down snow and ice packed busy roads during the middle of winter. I'm still
    unclear how either of us survived.

This brings back memories of me learning to drive with my dad.One day he suggested we practice a crash stop and told me to hit the breaks hard when he gave me the word. We were on a quiet road off the beaten track so it was all good on that count. When we did the test I may have moving at 30km but after the one test he said I think we've done that enough :)
  • From fang-castro@21:3/112 to Avon on Mon Aug 30 21:52:19 2021
    On 26 May 2021, Avon said the following...

I got my license right around when I worked at a car wash. I learned to drive on *many* cars! >:)
    * Origin: Nightvault (21:3/112)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to fang-castro on Wed Sep 1 15:09:31 2021
    On 30 Aug 2021 at 09:52p, fang-castro pondered and said...

I got my license right around when I worked at a car wash. I learned to drive on *many* cars! >:)

What age were you good sir?

I was 15 when I started life behind the wheel.
  • From fang-castro@21:3/112 to Avon on Tue Aug 31 20:48:52 2021
    I got my license right around when I worked at a car wash. I learned drive on *many* cars! >:)

What age were you good sir?

I got my license at 18... a lot of people got it earlier with drivers' school but I didn't feel the need for it so early =)
  • From Neckbeard@21:3/105.1 to Avon on Sun Sep 5 10:43:32 2021
    On 30 Aug 2021 at 09:52p, fang-castro pondered and said...

I was 16. My first car was a 72 Nova.
    ---
    * Origin: The Lab BBS (21:3/105.1)
  • From fang-castro@21:3/112 to Neckbeard on Thu Sep 9 23:41:39 2021

Nice! What color?
  • From neckbeard@21:3/105.3 to fang-castro on Fri Sep 10 10:14:50 2021

Nice! What color?

It was solid white with a blue vinyl interior. 2 speed Powerglide
    tansmission and a 307ci V-8. It was my high school wheels and later my go to college car. My dad bought the car from a friend of his. It had belonged to the friends mother and she passed away. It had 18k on it as she never drove it. College was on the other end of the state and the 2 speed made interstate speeds sound like the motor was fixing to blow. My dad gave me 50.00 in case I ran into car trouble on the interstate. I was afraid I would lose the cash or buy beer with it so I took the drivers side armrest off and stashed the cash
    in there. Car got me through college and several years later. I do not recall if I ever got the cash back out before I sold it!
    * Origin: The Lab BBS (21:3/105.3)
  • From nristen@21:1/161 to neckbeard on Fri Sep 10 19:07:46 2021
    was afraid I would lose the cash or buy beer with it so I took the
    drivers side armrest off and stashed the cash in there. Car got me
    through college and several years later. I do not recall if I ever got
    the cash back out before I sold it!

That's a cool story.

nristen (Karl Harris)
    bbs: bbs.theharrisclan.net SSH/2222
    gemini: gemini.ctrl-c.club/~nristen
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/03/07 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: The Search BBS (bbs.theharrisclan.net:34123/2222) (21:1/161)
  • From k9zw@21:1/224 to fang-castro on Sat Sep 11 18:57:49 2021
    On 09 Sep 2021, fang-castro said the following...

Nice! What color?

I just passed a Red Nova on Wisconsin Collectors Plates on I-43

* Origin: SPOT BBS / k9zw (21:1/224)
  • From Neckbeard@21:3/105.1 to Nristen on Mon Sep 13 14:51:24 2021
    was afraid I would lose the cash or buy beer with it so I took the
    drivers side armrest off and stashed the cash in there. Car got me
    through college and several years later. I do not recall if I ever got
    the cash back out before I sold it!

That's a cool story.

nristen (Karl Harris)
    I wish I had that car back again. Those cars were simple as a brick. No electronics to speak of just basic transportation. If you could wrench on a tractor you could most likley fix a car. We raised cattle when I was a kid. Had
    a '52 Ford 8N tractor with a 4 cylinder flat head engine. It is what taught me
    how to operate a clutch.
    ---
    * Origin: The Lab BBS D'Bridge/Maximus2 Old School OS/2 (21:3/105.1)
  • From Neckbeard@21:3/105.1 to K9zw on Mon Sep 13 14:55:42 2021
    On 09 Sep 2021, fang-castro said the following...

Nice! What color?

I just passed a Red Nova on Wisconsin Collectors Plates on I-43

White was the fastest color! lol
    ---
  • From nristen@21:1/161 to Neckbeard on Tue Sep 14 20:17:31 2021
    I wish I had that car back again. Those cars were simple as a brick. No electronics to speak of just basic transportation. If you could wrench
    on a tractor you could most likley fix a car. We raised cattle when I
    was a kid. Had a '52 Ford 8N tractor with a 4 cylinder flat head engine. It is what taught me how to operate a clutch.

I actually learned to use a clutch on a very old Farmall Cub tractor. I believe it was a 1949 model (at least the pictures of that model look the
    most familiar to me). I was probably 6 or 7 at that time. I remember
    feeling really proud to be allowed to drive the tractor. Usually my job was drive slowly ahead while people loaded hay into the trailer. I never worked
    on the tractor however I remember that the short muffler broke off from where it attached (I think to the head). This made the 13 HD engine a bit louder.
    I also remember that it had a hand crank for starting.

Cool memories!

nristen (Karl Harris)
  • From pork@21:3/105.3 to nristen on Wed Sep 15 06:30:41 2021
    13 HD engine a bit louder. I also remember that it had a hand crank for starting.

My dad use to tell me that urban legend had it that there was danger of
    getting your arm broken if the vehicle backfired. I always thought that was a "dad story" not unlike Harley riders getting thrown over the handlebars while kickstarting their bikes!
    * Origin: The Lab BBS (21:3/105.3)
  • From nristen@21:1/161 to pork on Fri Sep 17 18:47:58 2021
    My dad use to tell me that urban legend had it that there was danger of getting your arm broken if the vehicle backfired. I always thought that

My father taught me to make sure my thumb was on the same side of the crank handle as my fingers to protect against backfiring. I never experienced a backfire though and am not sure how well changing your thumb position would protect you.

nristen (Karl Harris)
  • From k9zw@21:1/224 to nristen on Fri Sep 17 19:29:45 2021
    On 17 Sep 2021, nristen said the following...

My dad use to tell me that urban legend had it that there was danger getting your arm broken if the vehicle backfired. I always thought th

My father taught me to make sure my thumb was on the same side of the crank handle as my fingers to protect against backfiring. I never experienced a backfire though and am not sure how well changing your
    thumb position would protect you.

That is good advice, as if the engine kicks back you could break you thumb.

You should also do this is driving certain vehicles, Army Jeeps being one, as they can break fingers/thumbs if they hit a bad pothole or blow a tire.

Also when you hand-prop start an airplane, which done wrong can have horrible consequences, yet I flew a starter-less plane for years, and had to hand-prop it every time.

• From nristen@21:1/161 to k9zw on Sun Sep 19 19:17:28 2021
    horrible consequences, yet I flew a starter-less plane for years, and
    had to hand-prop it every time.

What kind of plane was that?

nristen (Karl Harris)
  • From k9zw@21:1/224 to nristen on Mon Sep 20 15:00:55 2021
    On 19 Sep 2021, nristen said the following...

horrible consequences, yet I flew a starter-less plane for years, and had to hand-prop it every time.

1946 Aeronca Champ 7AC

Good cheap flying fun!

Also flew a Piper Cub-Cruiser on Floats which was hand-prop only.

• From nristen@21:1/161 to k9zw on Tue Oct 12 01:29:55 2021

1946 Aeronca Champ 7AC

Ah, that looks cool - was that fabric covered wings?

nristen (Karl Harris)

• From k9zw@21:1/224 to nristen on Wed Oct 13 19:37:04 2021
    On 12 Oct 2021, nristen said the following...

1946 Aeronca Champ 7AC

Ah, that looks cool - was that fabric covered wings?

Wings, control surfaces and body were all fabric.

• From Pork@21:3/105.1 to Nristen on Sun Oct 17 15:13:42 2021

My father taught me to make sure my thumb was on the same side of the crank handle as my fingers to protect against backfiring. I never experienced a backfire though and am not sure how well changing your thumb position would
    Sounds like good advice!

---