• Olympics

From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Sat Aug 7 15:53:49 2021
    I've been enjoying the TV coverage of the Olympics over the last 10+ days or so. My wife is into equestrian so we've been watching a lot of that. I have also enjoyed the new free climbing stuff that's been happening, the diving
    and high jump.

Sleep is not happening much because of the late nights watching the telly :) --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to Avon on Sat Aug 7 16:57:27 2021
    I've been enjoying the TV coverage of the Olympics over the last 10+
    days or so. My wife is into equestrian so we've been watching a lot of that. I have also enjoyed the new free climbing stuff that's been happening, the diving and high jump.

Us too... I liked watching the new skateboarding; even if there weren't ALL the professionals. Those kids can really skate.

I also loved watching the 15 year old Chinese diver. OMG; so perfect... I don't think I've ever seen judges give 7 10*s like that. :P What sports have you enjoyed the most?

One complaint; since we don't [all] have cable TV anymore, I've found it hard to get a good stream of everything... I've basically been watching after the fact. While I know there are a couple solid solutions for this, I didn't personally have subscriptions to one that had a live feed, nor did I want to install something JUST for the Olympics. (Lol - would be totally worth it.)

Cheers, enjoy these games!

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/08/05 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: 2o for beeRS>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)
  • From HusTler@21:4/10 to Avon on Sun Aug 8 19:52:47 2021
    Re: Olympics
    By: Avon to All on Sat Aug 07 2021 03:53 pm

I've been enjoying the TV coverage of the Olympics over the last 10+ days or so. My wife is into equestrian so we've been watching a lot of that. I

I felt so bad for the woman from (Norway) I think, who's horse refused to jump. She immediatly started crying. So sad. Her team finished with no score. What a heart breaker!
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Havens BBS havens.synchro.net
    * Origin: fsxNet FTN<>QWK Gateway (21:4/10)
  • From HusTler@21:4/10 to paulie420 on Sun Aug 8 19:59:00 2021
    Re: Re: Olympics
    By: paulie420 to Avon on Sat Aug 07 2021 04:57 pm

I also loved watching the 15 year old Chinese diver. OMG; so perfect... I don't think I've ever seen judges give 7 10*s like that. :P What sports have you enjoyed the most?

She was 14 and had 3 dives with 10's. She deserved everyone one of them. Unreal, flawless. No splash. She was like a bullet passing through the water.
    I used a 7 day trial of hulu and a 7 day trial of fubi to watch the games live.

... When it's three O'clock in New York, it's still 1938 in London.
    ---
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to HusTler on Sun Aug 8 19:02:05 2021
    I also loved watching the 15 year old Chinese diver. OMG; so perfect. don't think I've ever seen judges give 7 10*s like that. :P What spor have you enjoyed the most?

She was 14 and had 3 dives with 10's. She deserved everyone one of
    them. Unreal, flawless. No splash. She was like a bullet passing through the water. I used a 7 day trial of hulu and a 7 day trial of fubi to
    watch the games live.

While I probably don't know the specifics as much as the next guy, the dives I saw were nothing less than beautiful.

I couldn't believe the lack of ANY splash... such a young gal. Wow.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/08/08 (Raspberry Pi/32)
  • From HusTler@21:4/10 to paulie420 on Mon Aug 9 08:46:36 2021
    Re: Re: Olympics
    By: paulie420 to HusTler on Sun Aug 08 2021 07:02 pm

While I probably don't know the specifics as much as the next guy, the dives I saw were nothing less than beautiful.

I couldn't believe the lack of ANY splash... such a young gal. Wow.

Yes sir. Her diving was a thing a beauty. She began diving to earn money for her mothers medical treatments. Most folks don't follow the olympians to get to know them. Some of their stories really make one appreciate what they do. Krysta Palma's (Diver) parents are truckers and the company they worked for (Schneider) would route them so they could support their daughter at her diving meets. Did you happend to watch the closing ceremony? What a fantastic light show.
    ---
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to HusTler on Mon Aug 9 08:56:53 2021
    Yes sir. Her diving was a thing a beauty. She began diving to earn
    money for her mothers medical treatments. Most folks don't follow the olympians to get to know them. Some of their stories really make one appreciate what they do. Krysta Palma's (Diver) parents are truckers and the company they worked for (Schneider) would route them so they could support their daughter at her diving meets. Did you happend to watch the closing ceremony? What a fantastic light show.

So that was a new challenge this year; I've went fully streaming over the past 4 years (Maybe it was the last Olympics too..) so it was hard for me to watch live stuff. I didn't see the closing ceremony; but I bet I can find it NOW, after the fact - I'll have to take a look today.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/08/08 (Raspberry Pi/32)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to paulie420 on Sat Aug 14 14:16:03 2021
    On 07 Aug 2021 at 04:57p, paulie420 pondered and said...

I also loved watching the 15 year old Chinese diver. OMG; so perfect...
    I don't
    think I've ever seen judges give 7 10*s like that. :P What sports have
    you enjoyed the most?

Diving, and the free climbing (I never knew how this worked so just learning new stuff about the sport and hearing their jargon was fun, not to mention watching them climb), pole vault, mens high jump, discus, also liked some of the gymnastics (although not as much as in the past)

One complaint; since we don't [all] have cable TV anymore, I've found it hard to get a good stream of everything... I've basically been watching after the fact. While I know there are a couple solid solutions for
    this, I didn't personally have subscriptions to one that had a live
    feed, nor did I want to install something JUST for the Olympics. (Lol - would be totally worth it.)

We have a pay TV service here in New Zealand (Sky TV) that usually grabs all the rights to live sport etc. and the Olympics as no exception. They did
    share some coverage with our national free to air channels but if you wanted
    12 channels of wall to wall coverage you had to pay for it.

In the past we were month to month subscribers of them, using their PVR box
    and on a plan... we dropped them a year or so back to save $$ but when stuff like the Olympics and Bathurst come around we pay $25 for a streaming package that allows us access to their content and just watch it via PC hooked up to the TV. Much cheaper, no long term contracts or even month to month stuff..
    so yeah that's how I did it this time around.
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to HusTler on Sat Aug 14 14:18:27 2021
    On 08 Aug 2021 at 07:52p, HusTler pondered and said...

I felt so bad for the woman from (Norway) I think, who's horse refused to jump. She immediatly started crying. So sad. Her team finished with
    no score. What a heart breaker!

Yes that was tough, I also felt for her too.

There were a few other that had similar wobbles with almost good rounds then
    a late refusal or in one case I think a horse lost a shoe, kept jumping
    (badly) and ended up having to retire.

I was a bit annoyed (so was my wife) that the camera coverage was a bit hit
    and miss on things like the equestrian cross country. You would be following
    a rider/horse and then they would cut away mid jumps... to someone starting off... I thought they could have waited a few secs longer.
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to HusTler on Sat Aug 14 14:19:06 2021
    On 08 Aug 2021 at 07:59p, HusTler pondered and said...

She was 14 and had 3 dives with 10's. She deserved everyone one of
    them. Unreal, flawless. No splash. She was like a bullet passing through the water. I used a 7 day trial of hulu and a 7 day trial of fubi to
    watch the games live.

I agree it's like the less splash the better... the Olympics taught me that
    :)