• Am I the only one dumpster diving ?

From knightbbs@21:1/158 to All on Sun May 22 19:25:59 2022
    For some reason I regularly hunt down old compters at the local recycling centre and bring them home with me to fix up. The process mostly takes more time to be called " a productive afternoon", but I kinda like the nostalgia of it. I was wondering if I'm kinda the only one doing this ?

... How do I set my laser printer to stun?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/13 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: thE qUAntUm wOrmhOlE, rAmsgAtE, Uk. bbs.erb.pw (21:1/158)
  • From claw@21:1/210 to knightbbs on Sun May 22 17:41:10 2022
    On 22 May 2022, knightbbs said the following...
    For some reason I regularly hunt down old compters at the local recycling centre and bring them home with me to fix up. The process mostly takes more time to be called " a productive afternoon", but I kinda like the nostalgia of it. I was wondering if I'm kinda the only one doing this ?

If I want to stay married I don't get to do that. I do have a few items but can't just bring home all kinds of new things. Once the kids are grown and I'm retired I will probably be a little more apt to collect more than I have.

|23|04Dr|16|12Claw
    |16|14Sysop |12Noverdu |14BBS |04(|14Noverdu.com|04)
    |10Standard Ports for SSH/Telnet Web/HTTP://|14Noverdu.com:808
    |20|15fsxNet/MRC Chat/Registered Doors!/50Nodes/No Time Use! Stay On!|16|07

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Noverdu BBS (21:1/210)
  • From Arelor@21:2/138 to knightbbs on Sun May 22 18:17:52 2022
    Re: Am I the only one dumpster diving ?
    By: knightbbs to All on Sun May 22 2022 07:25 pm

For some reason I regularly hunt down old compters at the local recycling centre and bring them home with me to fix up. The process mostly takes more time to be called " a productive afternoon", but I kinda like the nostalgia it. I was wondering if I'm kinda the only one doing this ?

It is outright illegal to do such a thing here.

Some people who has a free afternoon will sit bu the entrance of the recycle deposit center and ask people to give the burnt electronics to him instead of to the recycle center, though. If they get the machines before they are placed in the recycle containers that is legal.

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (21:2/138)
  • From Bucko@21:4/131 to knightbbs on Sun May 22 20:43:55 2022
    On 22 May 2022, knightbbs said the following...

Nah you are not the only one.. I go to the local Salvation Army looking all the time, I also asked a recycling center if I could take some computers but they said no. If I see a computer being thrown out, I will stop and take it. I will then take it home clean it up, see what it is, if it is something less then say 7-10 years old I will add RAM and if there is no HD in it a HD. Then install Debian on it. I have sold a few on eBay but most of the time I just keep them as backups for anything I might need down the line, currently I have a computer in just about every location I would possibly need to google something or to dial out.. I guess as I get older this keeps me sane.. LOL

AL

... How is it possible to have a civil war?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/25 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (21:4/131)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to knightbbs on Mon May 23 14:00:00 2022
    For some reason I regularly hunt down old compters at the local recycling

I regularly trundle past our local waste transfer station. They used to have
    a free for all where all the gear was dumped in a bin or two and you could
    just have at it. Unfortunately as these things go, people were running off with the RAM and CPUs so they put the kibosh on that, and made it so that you weren't allowed to open the boxes cost per box was $5 so it wasn't to bad.. that lasted for a bit but people kept opening them up and leaving a mess. So the stopped that completely, and you have to wait for someone to decide what they think they might be able to shift through their "recycle store". Unfortunately this is a really low percentage of the stuff that comes
    through, and tends to just be PeeCee stuff. So not so good any more.

I used to know a couple of locations, mostly with IT businesses that would regularly throw out a heap of stuff at the end of each financial year. They would have serious dumpsters, like 12 cubic metres or more... everything from antique terminals, an IBM 3270 went past, and all sorts of other stuff, truckloads of cabling the works. I'm not in decent enough shape to try and manage that kind of dumpster diving anymore. With a knackered back, I'd probably last lifting/moving half a dozen items, and I'd have to reach for
    the serious pain relief.

It was always a good time though, you never knew what you were going to see,
    if it worked... all the rest...

Spec

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    --- SuperBBS v1.17-3 (Eval)
    * Origin: A camel is a horse designed by a committee. (21:3/101)
  • From boraxman@21:1/101 to Spectre on Mon May 23 21:37:15 2022
    I regularly trundle past our local waste transfer station. They used to have a free for all where all the gear was dumped in a bin or two and
    you could just have at it. Unfortunately as these things go, people
    were running off with the RAM and CPUs so they put the kibosh on that,
    and made it so that you weren't allowed to open the boxes cost per box
    was $5 so it wasn't to bad.. that lasted for a bit but people kept
    opening them up and leaving a mess. So the stopped that completely, and you have to wait for someone to decide what they think they might be
    able to shift through their "recycle store". Unfortunately this is a really low percentage of the stuff that comes through, and tends to just be PeeCee stuff. So not so good any more.

I used to know a couple of locations, mostly with IT businesses that
    would regularly throw out a heap of stuff at the end of each financial year. They would have serious dumpsters, like 12 cubic metres or
    more... everything from antique terminals, an IBM 3270 went past, and
    all sorts of other stuff, truckloads of cabling the works. I'm not in decent enough shape to try and manage that kind of dumpster diving anymore. With a knackered back, I'd probably last lifting/moving half a dozen items, and I'd have to reach for the serious pain relief.

It was always a good time though, you never knew what you were going to see, if it worked... all the rest...

Spec

You're in Melbourne, right? Any good places in Melbourne I can pick up old hardware?

I'm looking for some very old parts, and wondering what recycling or waste centres might be fruitful.

* Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Spectre on Mon May 23 06:47:00 2022
    Spectre wrote to knightbbs <=-

I used to know a couple of locations, mostly with IT businesses that
    would regularly throw out a heap of stuff at the end of each financial year.

I went to work a couple of years ago, and on my first day, my boss,
    the CIO, told me what a mess I was walking into. He had to "kick some
    ass" before I got in to get rid of tons of crap that the previous
    manager left lying around.

"We had 3 pallets of IBM PC XTs and ATs. 3 pallets!

I gulped.

They'd all gone to e-waste, and he'd gotten nothing for them. He
    probably paid to have them hauled off and thought he'd gotten a favor
    because they were so old.

I wept inside.

All that remained was one Model M keyboard and DOS 3.3 documentation
    in those 3-ring pressed-board binders.

... Ask people to work against their better judgement
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From Cozmo@21:3/135 to knightbbs on Mon May 23 17:41:51 2022
    For some reason I regularly hunt down old compters at the local
    recycling centre and bring them home with me to fix up. The process
    mostly takes more time to be called " a productive afternoon", but I
    kinda like the nostalgia of it. I was wondering if I'm kinda the only
    one doing this ?

I would if we had one near ne. But I do goto the local Salvation Arny and other second hand stores and find some decent stuff once in a while. As a matter of fact the computer that my BBS is running on was found at a second hand store.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/04/08 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Lunatics Unleashed BBS (21:3/135)
  • From boraxman@21:1/101 to poindexter FORTRAN on Tue May 24 09:59:27 2022
    I used to know a couple of locations, mostly with IT businesses that would regularly throw out a heap of stuff at the end of each financia year.

I went to work a couple of years ago, and on my first day, my boss,
    the CIO, told me what a mess I was walking into. He had to "kick some
    ass" before I got in to get rid of tons of crap that the previous
    manager left lying around.

I gulped.

They'd all gone to e-waste, and he'd gotten nothing for them. He
    probably paid to have them hauled off and thought he'd gotten a favor
    because they were so old.

I wept inside.

All that remained was one Model M keyboard and DOS 3.3 documentation
    in those 3-ring pressed-board binders.

That is awful to read. The wastefulness of our society is nothing short of criminal. We like to pat ourselves on the back on how responsible we are, but really, we're not at all.

• From Nightfox@21:1/137 to boraxman on Mon May 23 15:25:45 2022
    Re: Re: Am I the only one dumpster diving ?
    By: boraxman to poindexter FORTRAN on Tue May 24 2022 09:59 am

That is awful to read. The wastefulness of our society is nothing short of criminal. We like to pat ourselves on the back on how responsible we are, but really, we're not at all.

If old computers are sent to a recycling center, I don't think that would really be considered wasteful. But I think a lot of people don't realize old computers could still be of value to some people. Unfortunately, it's easier for people to just send things like that off to recycling/waste rather than try to find buyers for it.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Win32
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to boraxman on Mon May 23 19:21:22 2022
    By: boraxman to poindexter FORTRAN on Tue May 24 2022 09:59 am

There's a lot to be said for buying used, top of the line systems. I bought a Dell workstation made in 2008, sold off-lease in 2011, and I used it for 11 years. Had I bought cheaper, new systems, I might have bought 2 or 3 systems in that same time.
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Win32
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to boraxman on Tue May 24 16:28:00 2022
    You're in Melbourne, right? Any good places in Melbourne I can pick up old hardware?

In this day and age... not so much, I haven't seen most of my old locations
    in over 10 years now. Not sure where you are... the Waste Transfer Station
    in Frankston/Skye is the one I have a look at. I'm sure others will have a similar setup... Either that or keep an eye on the guys that pickup the
    stuff for recycling and see what you can arrange with them.

What kind of gear are you actually looking for? Old is a relative thing...
    I've not seen anything much older than a PIII come past. But hard rubbish around here sometimes offers up XT/286 age hardware, but its getting to be
    very thin on the ground.

I can add whatever you're looking for to my items of interest though.

Spec

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to boraxman on Tue May 24 16:43:00 2022
    I forgot, there's always ERNI.... equipment recycling network in Ringwood
    too. But I'm sure the stuff they get these days has changed since I last had much to do with them. They were only interested in PC's for disabled kids/families.. so anything else they came across they didn't know, was
    either sold very cheeply or otherwise recycled...

Spec

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to poindexter FORTRAN on Tue May 24 16:50:00 2022

I gulped.

There comes a time when there's no one left that understands what stuff is or what value it might have. They're just to new or out of the loop for understanding.

Had a ripper one year, when a large IT group moved in about 6 addresses down from a store I was working in. That first year, I think they went through about a dozen dumpsters nothing less than 9 cubic metres... everything from
    XT age through to 386's went out that year... and everything in between. I colleted a heap, having a Van at the time helped, but in the end I told everyone else I knew what was in there and even then so much stuff just got carted away it was incredible.

Spec

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to Nightfox on Tue May 24 23:07:05 2022
    That is awful to read. The wastefulness of our society is nothing sho criminal. We like to pat ourselves on the back on how responsible we but really, we're not at all.

If old computers are sent to a recycling center, I don't think that would really be considered wasteful. But I think a lot of people don't
    realize old computers could still be of value to some people. Unfortunately, it's easier for people to just send things like that off
    to recycling/waste rather than try to find buyers for it.

Nightfox

A company I worked for just put them in the dumpster.

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to Spectre on Tue May 24 23:10:57 2022
    In this day and age... not so much, I haven't seen most of my old locations in over 10 years now. Not sure where you are... the Waste Transfer Station in Frankston/Skye is the one I have a look at. I'm sure others will have a similar setup... Either that or keep an eye on the guys that pickup the stuff for recycling and see what you can arrange
    with them.

What kind of gear are you actually looking for? Old is a relative
    thing... I've not seen anything much older than a PIII come past. But hard rubbish around here sometimes offers up XT/286 age hardware, but
    its getting to be very thin on the ground.

I can add whatever you're looking for to my items of interest though.

Spec

I'm at the opposite end of Melbourne. I am looking for older things, of the XT - 486, preferably towards the XT end. I'm sure this stuff is quite rare now, but an AT power supply or a motherboard with 8bit ISA slots would be more than welcome, as well as a 5 1/4 inch disk drive.

• From claw@21:1/210 to boraxman on Tue May 24 07:44:11 2022
    On 24 May 2022, boraxman said the following...
    A company I worked for just put them in the dumpster.

Bank actually destroy them. Whole computer. Shred, boom gone. All when just the HD would be enough. They see it as risk mitigation.

|23|04Dr|16|12Claw

• From 8-Bit@21:2/133 to knightbbs on Tue May 24 10:36:45 2022
    I just brought this up to my wife and daughter last week. While I haven't
    gone dumpster divind for retro computers, I do remember dumpster diving at Radio Shacks and NAPA auto parts store. Nothing really exciting but I was young. Not sure if I could get out of one now though.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: 8-Bit Classics (21:2/133)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to boraxman on Wed May 25 08:31:00 2022
    I'm at the opposite end of Melbourne. I am looking for older things, of the XT - 486, preferably towards the XT end. I'm sure this stuff is quite

Thats easy.. pre ATX equipment... I'll keep the eyeballs out... no promises
    of quick findings though.

Spec

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to 8-Bit on Wed May 25 08:34:00 2022
    Radio Shacks and NAPA auto parts store. Nothing really exciting but I was young. Not sure if I could get out of one now though.

Remember to take your step ladder, and a sky hook to help get yourself and
    your loot out. :)

Spec

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to claw on Wed May 25 13:26:43 2022
    Bank actually destroy them. Whole computer. Shred, boom gone. All
    when just the HD would be enough. They see it as risk mitigation.

DrClaw
    Sysop Noverdu BBS (Noverdu.com)

These guys were just lazy and didn't care. Whole computers and laptops, including furniture and office supplies. Weird thing is they repurchased
    some of the stuff they threw away. "Lets throw away folders and trays"..."oOh, we need folders and trays, put in an order.

I got a perfectly good coffee table which was going to go to landfill. Some people just can't be bothered even giving things away.

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to Spectre on Wed May 25 13:31:35 2022
    Thats easy.. pre ATX equipment... I'll keep the eyeballs out... no promises of quick findings though.

Spec

Much appreciated. I had an XT system, but I pulled the boards out of the case. Somehow I lost the case, either I left it in a rental place, or my
    folks disposed of it, leaving my only with the motherboard, IO card and CGA graphics card, as well as the monitor.

I have a replacement IO card, which I can get working with a 1.44M driver and a powersupply from another 486. I'd like to get an XT IDE card and set up a
    hard drive, but if I can find a case with a powersupply and drives, it would make things easier.

I'm really ticked off that I lost those parts, as I really liked that machine.

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to boraxman on Wed May 25 21:39:00 2022
    I have a replacement IO card, which I can get working with a 1.44M driver

Ahh I was going to ask if you're looking for a 360k or a 1.2M floppy... if you're at 1.44 you want a 3.5" jobby?

Spec

• From claw@21:1/210 to boraxman on Wed May 25 07:57:17 2022
    On 25 May 2022, boraxman said the following...
    These guys were just lazy and didn't care. Whole computers and laptops, including furniture and office supplies. Weird thing is they repurchased some of the stuff they threw away. "Lets throw away folders and trays"..."oOh, we need folders and trays, put in an order.

I got a perfectly good coffee table which was going to go to landfill. Some people just can't be bothered even giving things away.

This is why I really wish FreeGeek was eveywhere. This would make it so people can safely turn in old tech and some can get a new life, while the rest is recycled.

|23|04Dr|16|12Claw

• From Nightfox@21:1/137 to claw on Wed May 25 12:58:14 2022
    By: claw to boraxman on Wed May 25 2022 07:57 am

This is why I really wish FreeGeek was eveywhere. This would make it so people can safely turn in old tech and some can get a new life, while the rest is recycled.

Interesting.. There is a FreeGeek in my area, and I thought it was only a local thing. It sounds like they have operations elsewhere too.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Win32
  • From vorlon@21:1/195.1 to Spectre on Thu May 26 11:40:36 2022
    There comes a time when there's no one left that understands what
    stuff is or what value it might have. They're just to new or out
    of the loop for understanding.

Hold a floppy disk upto a teanager and ask them what it is? #0)

\/orlon

--- MagickaBBS v0.15alpha (Linux/m68k)
    * Origin: Vorlon Empire (21:1/195.1)
  • From vorlon@21:1/195.1 to claw on Thu May 26 11:43:26 2022

Bank actually destroy them. Whole computer. Shred, boom gone.
    All when just the HD would be enough. They see it as risk
    mitigation.

Witch is rather stupid. It's not like the little ram chips will remember
    that Joe Blogs had $50000 in his account... &-;/

\/orlon

• From vorlon@21:1/195.1 to Spectre on Thu May 26 12:06:44 2022
    I have a replacement IO card, which I can get working with a
    1.44M driver

Ahh I was going to ask if you're looking for a 360k or a 1.2M
    floppy... if you're at 1.44 you want a 3.5" jobby?

Make him suffer with a 360K disk...... %->

\/orlon

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to Spectre on Thu May 26 22:30:22 2022
    Ahh I was going to ask if you're looking for a 360k or a 1.2M floppy...
    if you're at 1.44 you want a 3.5" jobby?

Spec

I have quite a few 1.44M drives, and you can still find one or two at the computer swapmeets!

I also have four 1.2M drives, three functional and installed in machines! Unfortunately, they are not compatible with the XT's IO card, nor are they ideal for using 360K disks on (which I've got a lot of).

When are those 5 1/2 inch disks and drives going to make a comeback ;)

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to claw on Thu May 26 22:32:26 2022
    These guys were just lazy and didn't care. Whole computers and lapto including furniture and office supplies. Weird thing is they repurch some of the stuff they threw away. "Lets throw away folders and trays"..."oOh, we need folders and trays, put in an order.

I got a perfectly good coffee table which was going to go to landfill Some people just can't be bothered even giving things away.

This is why I really wish FreeGeek was eveywhere. This would make it so people can safely turn in old tech and some can get a new life, while
    the rest is recycled.

DrClaw
    Sysop Noverdu BBS (Noverdu.com)

There are many arguments for upgrading, for new software, but our society is built upon rampant consumption and we do a bad job of repurposing old equipment, or re-engineering it, or adapting software to run on it.

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to vorlon on Thu May 26 22:33:44 2022
    Ahh I was going to ask if you're looking for a 360k or a 1.2M floppy... if you're at 1.44 you want a 3.5" jobby?

Have plenty of those disks, it is the 360K drive, that rare elusive beast that I'm looking for.

... A program is used to turn data into error messages.

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to vorlon on Thu May 26 20:46:00 2022

You ask the right kids now, and CDs would be right up there too... wouldn't
    be any good asking mine though... they'd have some idea :) Yup they're in the minority...

Spec

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to vorlon on Thu May 26 20:49:00 2022

Chuckle... that is what I was thinking with an XT... I recall the first time
    I came across 360s... I was used to 140k on an Apple II floppy... and
    wondered why I couldn't make flippy disks, not realising that 360s were
    double sided...

Spec

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to boraxman on Thu May 26 21:58:00 2022
    I also have four 1.2M drives, three functional and installed in machines! Unfortunately, they are not compatible with the XT's IO card, nor are they ideal for using 360K disks on (which I've got a lot of).

Boggle... never seen even a PC/XT age machine that takes anything other than 360s.. presumably if there is it'd have to be single sided, single density... 180s? But never seen or even heard of a drive to suit... even your II+ is
    happy using double density...

Spec

• From claw@21:1/210 to Nightfox on Thu May 26 07:54:20 2022
    On 25 May 2022, Nightfox said the following...
    Interesting.. There is a FreeGeek in my area, and I thought it was only
    a local thing. It sounds like they have operations elsewhere too.

Nightfox

There a cool place. Wish they were bigger but its not like they make a ton of money :D most of the people there are donating their time.

Have you checked it out? If yes what did you think?

|23|04Dr|16|12Claw

• From claw@21:1/210 to vorlon on Thu May 26 07:58:17 2022
    On 26 May 2022, vorlon said the following...
    Witch is rather stupid. It's not like the little ram chips will remember that Joe Blogs had $50000 in his account... &-;/

\/orlon

Totally agreed. But the higher ups tend to be people without technology knowledge. They know better than anyone else.

|23|04Dr|16|12Claw

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to boraxman on Thu May 26 22:02:00 2022
    There are many arguments for upgrading, for new software, but our society is built upon rampant consumption and we do a bad job of repurposing old equipment, or re-engineering it, or adapting software to run on it.

There was a time, I expected Linux would be at least a partial solution to that, given it gave far better bang for the buck against DOS or early Win systems. But that didn't last long... where it was feasible if not always practical to get it installed on... a 386 class system, slowest I tried was a DX40 wasn't long before you couldn't... I had the DX40 running a MUD
    briefly...

Spec

• From Rants@21:5/108 to Spectre on Thu May 26 09:11:54 2022
    DX40 wasn't long before you couldn't... I had the DX40 running a MUD

briefly...

Spec

There is a term I haven't heard in a while, MUD... MUDs and MOOs how I wasted my youth.

--- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v7.0
    * Origin: CrNet BBS (Wildcat @ bbs.crnet.net:24) (21:5/108)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to vorlon on Thu May 26 06:59:00 2022
    vorlon wrote to Spectre <=-

A "save" icon!

... Discover your formulas and abandon them
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to boraxman on Thu May 26 07:01:00 2022
    boraxman wrote to claw <=-

There are many arguments for upgrading, for new software, but our
    society is built upon rampant consumption and we do a bad job of repurposing old equipment, or re-engineering it, or adapting software
    to run on it.

And by "Society", you mean "Economy".

--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Spectre on Thu May 26 07:03:00 2022
    Spectre wrote to boraxman <=-

There was a time, I expected Linux would be at least a partial solution
    to that, given it gave far better bang for the buck against DOS or
    early Win systems. But that didn't last long... where it was feasible
    if not always practical to get it installed on... a 386 class system, slowest I tried was a DX40 wasn't long before you couldn't... I had the DX40 running a MUD briefly...

My first exposure to Linux was one of our tech guys recompiling the
    kernel on a 386/33 with 4 megs of RAM - took something like a day and
    a half.

Then, the best you could manage was twm and a web browser, with a
    handful of console network apps.

--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri May 27 03:59:00 2022
    My first exposure to Linux was one of our tech guys recompiling the
    kernel on a 386/33 with 4 megs of RAM - took something like a day and
    a half.

Seems slow... a 33... could be a DX or an SX though.. I can't remember now
    how long the 40 took... but I don't think it took more than a few hours.. The bigger issue was instability while compiling and having to start again. Not sure the MUD needed a replacement kernel, but serial drivers and the 3c503 driver needed it.

Spec

• From Arelor@21:2/138 to Spectre on Thu May 26 16:58:40 2022
    By: Spectre to boraxman on Thu May 26 2022 10:02 pm

There are many arguments for upgrading, for new software, but our socie is built upon rampant consumption and we do a bad job of repurposing ol equipment, or re-engineering it, or adapting software to run on it.

There was a time, I expected Linux would be at least a partial solution to that, given it gave far better bang for the buck against DOS or early Win systems. But that didn't last long... where it was feasible if not always practical to get it installed on... a 386 class system, slowest I tried was DX40 wasn't long before you couldn't... I had the DX40 running a MUD briefly...

Spec

The problem is usually not the operating system, but what you run on it.

I have an old Pentium machine with 192 Mb of RAM here.I can install OpenBSD on it or run Tiny Core Linux on it, no issues. Then you try to run a modern web browser and it dies XD

--
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Arelor@21:2/138 to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu May 26 17:08:50 2022
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to boraxman on Thu May 26 2022 07:01 am

boraxman wrote to claw <=-

I think he means Society.

It is not California who is convincing kids to use Electron based videoconference applications for chatting which require more RAM than I have available.

Software developers routinely throw more hardware in to solve software issues because it helps them code faster. Making a web application may be hard if you work from scratch, but it you throw a heavy framework for the task you will have it done in a week! The only drawback is that the user will need 2 GB of RAM to move the applicationinstead of 150 MB, but who cares about the user?

ON the other hand we demand more and more eye candy on our computers and won't settle for writting reports using a terminal if we can use a GUI application, even if running the GUI application needs us to replace an old functional computer.

Of course Sillicon Valley leviathans are making the issue worse by producing shitty software that requires you to replace working gear to run it, but this goes so far beyond the realm of Economics (the study of exchanging a goods and services). It is about people not being able to function with old tech that works fine because we have gone lazy and our expectations are greedy.

--
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to claw on Thu May 26 17:45:35 2022
    This is why I really wish FreeGeek was eveywhere. This would make it so people can safely turn in old tech and some can get a new life, while
    the rest is recycled.

I absolutely <3 FREE GEEK. Here in Portland they offer decent pay and will promote the average Joe to great positions if you do well. They always have my 10-year-old techs accessories [DDR2, anyone?] when needed - but I wish they did a bit better about the real retro computing stuff.

I love their mission statement and have even thought about volunteering and/or getting involved. They are wonderful.

Also, they host my local Linux User Groups meetings.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/04/03 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbS>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to claw on Thu May 26 19:42:23 2022
    By: claw to Nightfox on Thu May 26 2022 07:54 am

On 25 May 2022, Nightfox said the following...
    Interesting.. There is a FreeGeek in my area, and I thought it was
    only a local thing. It sounds like they have operations elsewhere
    too.

There a cool place. Wish they were bigger but its not like they make a ton of money :D most of the people there are donating their time.

Have you checked it out? If yes what did you think?

I visited the place many years ago (it was probably almost 20 years ago) to volunteer to clean up & sort some PC parts. I thought the idea of the place was pretty cool. I've actually been thinking of checking them out to see what vintage computers they might have for sale. But it seems they mostly sell older desktop PCs with Linux installed on them.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Win32
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Arelor on Fri May 27 12:26:00 2022
    The problem is usually not the operating system, but what you run on it.

Ahhh what I wanted to run it on, never changed... the 386DX40 with 4 or 8Mb I don't recall which now... probably 4... I seem to recall in no time, more memory was a minimum requirement... and not so far down the track 486 optimisations... so you couldn't install it even if you wanted to... I understand there comes a time when whatever hardware you've got will become obsolete, unable to run whatever fandangled thing they've come up with. But
    at the time, I thought with Loonix it'd last longer...

Spec

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to Spectre on Fri May 27 12:29:00 2022
    Ahhh what I wanted to run it on, never changed... the 386DX40 with 4 or

You forgot to add in that HD space requirements ballooned pretty quickly too, the system only had a 40Mb drive in it.

Spec

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to Spectre on Fri May 27 22:48:50 2022
    Boggle... never seen even a PC/XT age machine that takes anything other than 360s.. presumably if there is it'd have to be single sided, single density... 180s? But never seen or even heard of a drive to suit... even your II+ is happy using double density...

Spec

You can use a 1.44M disk drive with disks formatted as 720K disks. I did it with my XT mainboard and a newer IO card and by gum, it worked!

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri May 27 22:50:27 2022

I suppose I am, but as this is about what people are doing, Society suits. We become what our economic system requires.

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to Spectre on Fri May 27 22:51:42 2022
    Seems slow... a 33... could be a DX or an SX though.. I can't remember
    now how long the 40 took... but I don't think it took more than a few hours.. The bigger issue was instability while compiling and having to start again. Not sure the MUD needed a replacement kernel, but serial drivers and the 3c503 driver needed it.

Spec

The oldest computer I've used Linux on is a 486DX/33 with 16M of RAM. It run OK, and could be useful but anything slower I'd want to stick to DOS.

• From claw@21:1/210 to paulie420 on Fri May 27 07:59:32 2022
    On 26 May 2022, paulie420 said the following...
    I absolutely <3 FREE GEEK. Here in Portland they offer decent pay and
    will promote the average Joe to great positions if you do well. They always have my 10-year-old techs accessories [DDR2, anyone?] when needed
    - but I wish they did a bit better about the real retro computing stuff.

I love their mission statement and have even thought about volunteering and/or getting involved. They are wonderful.

pAULIE42o

The Portland one is the head quarters! I would love to see that one. I bet they are huge. Plus meet the people that started the whole thing. Awesome!

|23|04Dr|16|12Claw

• From claw@21:1/210 to Nightfox on Fri May 27 08:01:07 2022
    I visited the place many years ago (it was probably almost 20 years ago) to volunteer to clean up & sort some PC parts. I thought the idea of
    the place was pretty cool. I've actually been thinking of checking them out to see what vintage computers they might have for sale. But it
    seems they mostly sell older desktop PCs with Linux installed on them.

Nightfox

True this is because it depends on what people donate. If people drop off a commodore they have one if not they don't. Many people that still have them know what they have and wouldn't donate it.

|23|04Dr|16|12Claw

• From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Spectre on Fri May 27 09:03:39 2022
    By: Spectre to vorlon on Thu May 26 2022 08:46 pm

You ask the right kids now, and CDs would be right up there too... wouldn't be any good asking mine though... they'd have some idea :) Yup they're in the minority...

That seems weird to me, but honestly I myself haven't actually listened to music from a CD in more than 15 years (except for one time a few years ago when I bought a used CD and listened to some of it in my car on my way home before ripping it). I still like to buy music on CD, but I'll rip it and copy the music files to my various devices to be played.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Win32
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to paulie420 on Fri May 27 09:15:14 2022
    By: paulie420 to claw on Thu May 26 2022 05:45 pm

I absolutely <3 FREE GEEK. Here in Portland they offer decent pay and will

I didn't realize (or maybe forgot) you're in the Portland area too. :)

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Win32
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to boraxman on Fri May 27 09:19:04 2022
    By: boraxman to Spectre on Fri May 27 2022 10:51 pm

The oldest computer I've used Linux on is a 486DX/33 with 16M of RAM. It run OK, and could be useful but anything slower I'd want to stick to DOS.

I remember briefly using Linux on one of my 386 systems (it may have been a 386DX-40). I remember running Doom (PC game) on it, and the Linux version of Doom seemed to run slightly faster than the DOS version of Doom..

Linux could run on that kind of PC, especially if you weren't using a GUI. I think I had heard the first version of Linux was released in 1991, where 386 PCs were still fairly common (and I think 1991 was when AMD's 386DX-40 was first released).

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Win32
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to boraxman on Sat May 28 12:06:00 2022
    You can use a 1.44M disk drive with disks formatted as 720K disks. I did it with my XT mainboard and a newer IO card and by gum, it worked!

If you then put it in a HD Drive you won't be able to read it though, unless you cover the detection hole...for a short time before its retirement I was drilling holes in the corner of the high densitys so they would look like
    720's on the IIgs

Spec

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to Nightfox on Sat May 28 12:14:00 2022
    That seems weird to me, but honestly I myself haven't actually listened to music from a CD in more than 15 years (except for one time a few years ago

Yeah, I don't have anything that will play CDs anymore... at least in the musical sense, but I have a box of CDs and DVDs packed away somewhere...
    Don't have an installed DVD player for that matter either...

In both cases I could still slot one into the pooter.. but generally not
    where I want to be watching.. although the sound system hitched up isn't to
    bad so I can blow the windows out and annoy the old ratbag downstairs any
    time she's been irritating.. :P

Spec

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to Nightfox on Sat May 28 12:28:00 2022
    I remember briefly using Linux on one of my 386 systems (it may have been a 386DX-40). I remember running Doom (PC game) on it, and the Linux

I took the same DX40 and tried installing Win95 on it, when it arrived... it did manage... I didn't seriously use for that at all though... I think it was absolutely minimum spec for it at the time.

All the linux systems I had primarily got used for SAMBA, and router duties
    in a headless setup. So there was no playing doom on it... although we did have some mini LAN parties with some of the guys from work.

Spec

• From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Spectre on Fri May 27 22:47:58 2022
    By: Spectre to Nightfox on Sat May 28 2022 12:28 pm

I remember briefly using Linux on one of my 386 systems (it may have
    been a 386DX-40). I remember running Doom (PC game) on it, and the
    Linux

I took the same DX40 and tried installing Win95 on it, when it arrived... it did manage... I didn't seriously use for that at all though... I think it was absolutely minimum spec for it at the time.

I had tried installing Windows 95 on my 386DX-40 and used it for a couple weeks or so, but I felt like it was too slow on the 386 and went back to DOS and Windows 3.1. I didn't install Windows 95 again until I upgraded to a 486 (I went to an AMD "5x86" 133mhz, which was their fastest 486, if I recall.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Win32
  • From boraxman@21:1/101 to Nightfox on Sat May 28 21:07:47 2022
    The oldest computer I've used Linux on is a 486DX/33 with 16M of RAM. run OK, and could be useful but anything slower I'd want to stick to

I remember briefly using Linux on one of my 386 systems (it may have
    been a 386DX-40). I remember running Doom (PC game) on it, and the
    Linux version of Doom seemed to run slightly faster than the DOS version of Doom..

Linux could run on that kind of PC, especially if you weren't using a
    GUI. I think I had heard the first version of Linux was released in
    1991, where 386 PCs were still fairly common (and I think 1991 was when AMD's 386DX-40 was first released).

Nightfox

I'm surprised the Linux version ran better. Maybe better compilation leading to more optimised code? Could be a better memory model.

I started using Linux in 2000, so by that time, distro's were a bit heavier as was the kernel.

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to Spectre on Sat May 28 21:12:06 2022
    You can use a 1.44M disk drive with disks formatted as 720K disks. I it with my XT mainboard and a newer IO card and by gum, it worked!

If you then put it in a HD Drive you won't be able to read it though, unless you cover the detection hole...for a short time before its retirement I was drilling holes in the corner of the high densitys so
    they would look like 720's on the IIgs

Spec

It's the other way around. The hole indicates it is a HD disk. The presense/absense of the hole indicates what disk type but you can choose when you format it, to use the DD format not the HD one.

The holes had to be drilled to make a DD format as a HD one, which was always a little risky.

Interestingly, the floppy drive on the Amstrad PC2386 would always just format a DD disk as a HD one, even without the hole. Perhaps it didn't check, or that particular drive I had, had a fault. But I had man 720K disks formatted as 1.44M without a hole drilled. Oddly, they were quite reliable, even more reliable than new floppies purchased at the end of the 90's, early 2000s. I did have to drill holes laters to read them on another floppy drive.

• From Arelor@21:2/138 to boraxman on Sat May 28 05:05:16 2022
    By: boraxman to Nightfox on Sat May 28 2022 09:07 pm

I'm surprised the Linux version ran better. Maybe better compilation leadin to more optimised code? Could be a better memory model.

I started using Linux in 2000, so by that time, distro's were a bit heavier was the kernel.

Actually, with the current kernel's modular structure you can have an enormous kernel without having to commit more than 15% of it to memory :-)

Slackware's prefered kernel is a light one which only contains the basics. It loads everything else it needs as modules. Building and rebuilding this setup is automated.

I am sure you could have an even smaller kernel than that if you commited time to it. Tiny Core Linux has a minimum requerinment of 8 megs of RAM or something of that sort...

--
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From vorlon@21:1/195.1 to boraxman on Sat May 28 19:58:24 2022
    Ahh I was going to ask if you're looking for a 360k or a
    1.2M Sp> floppy... if you're at 1.44 you want a 3.5" jobby?

Have plenty of those disks, it is the 360K drive, that rare elusive
    beast that I'm looking for.

Can't a 1.2Mb drive also read and write 360K disks?

\/orlon

• From vorlon@21:1/195.1 to Spectre on Sat May 28 20:01:24 2022
    Hold a floppy disk upto a teanager and ask them what it is?
    #0)

You ask the right kids now, and CDs would be right up there too... wouldn't be any good asking mine though... they'd have some idea :)

Yeah, those as well... %=_

Yup they're in the minority...

They must have taken in the information from Dad!.

\/orlon

• From vorlon@21:1/195.1 to Spectre on Sat May 28 20:05:08 2022

Chuckle... that is what I was thinking with an XT... I recall the
    first time I came across 360s... I was used to 140k on an Apple II floppy... and wondered why I couldn't make flippy disks, not
    realising that 360s were double sided...

Used to use a disk notcher on the C= 64 and flip the disk!

\/orlon

• From vorlon@21:1/195.1 to claw on Sat May 28 20:10:20 2022
    Witch is rather stupid. It's not like the little ram chips
    will remember that Joe Blogs had $50000 in his account... &-;/
    Totally agreed. But the higher ups tend to be people without
    technology knowledge. They know better than anyone else.

But not always. Yes they make the final choice, but a propper manager
    would take in all information and then make the choice.

\/orlon

• From vorlon@21:1/195.1 to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat May 28 20:46:24 2022
    Hold a floppy disk upto a teanager and ask them what it is?
    #0)

A "save" icon!

Hahah! Classic!

\/orlon

• From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to boraxman on Fri May 27 06:20:00 2022
    boraxman wrote to Spectre <=-

The oldest computer I've used Linux on is a 486DX/33 with 16M of RAM.
    It run OK, and could be useful but anything slower I'd want to stick to DOS.

I ran Eidos Interactive's web presence for a couple of years, and back in
    1998 or so, we released Daikatana, the follow-up to Quake from Jon Romero. He'd left ID to form a company called ION Storm, and there was a lot of
    buzz.

I went into the release with the web site running on a Sun Ultra 2 running Netscape comm server and FTP, a Pentium Pro 200 running a second FTP site,
    and a 486/66 running DNS. That smallish kit handled something like 500 simultaneous FTP sessions. I kept the 486 afterwards.

... Use an unacceptable colour
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to claw on Sat May 28 10:38:45 2022
    The Portland one is the head quarters! I would love to see that one. I bet they are huge. Plus meet the people that started the whole thing. Awesome!

I live in the PDX area - the front office section is small, I'd assume similar to other FREE GEEKs but their warehouse and facilities IS humongous...

They also have meeting rooms and areas for computer/technology related meet-ups. The PLUG [Portland Linux Users Group] meets there...

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/04/03 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbS>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to boraxman on Sun May 29 06:59:00 2022
    I'm surprised the Linux version ran better. Maybe better compilation leading to more optimised code? Could be a better memory model.

Most stuff which was ported ran better on loonix... that was pretty true I reckon all the way up to Quake III, after that I don't know because I stopped using it for any of that kinda stuff... but even QIII was only being used as
    a server, not a play station, no pun intended.

Spec

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to boraxman on Sun May 29 07:02:00 2022
    It's the other way around. The hole indicates it is a HD disk. The

My bad, its been a long time, and despite having plenty of 5.25"s around I don't have any 3.5s well maybe a couple for the GS, but I haven't even looked at those yet, they'll be 800s... or 720 in the PC parlance.

Spec

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to vorlon on Sun May 29 07:07:00 2022

You can read/write 360s in 1.2 drives. It can lead to some issues though, if you write them and put them back in a 360 drive sometimes they won't read
    very well, and can be quite unreliable.

I think it was meant to be due to differences in the head size, and magnetic strength while writing.

Spec

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to vorlon on Sun May 29 07:11:00 2022

Exactly the same as the II. The other thing that was pretty common was to install a 3 way switch, in the front, which would permanently enable write protect on or off, or leave it in disk set setting. I did have one drive
    that ignored it completely due to mechanical failure in the arm that
    activated the switch, that was always interesting..

Spec

• From claw@21:1/210 to paulie420 on Sun May 29 00:34:43 2022
    On 28 May 2022, paulie420 said the following...
    I live in the PDX area - the front office section is small, I'd assume similar to other FREE GEEKs but their warehouse and facilities IS humongous...

sounds much bigger and better than ours. Outs has a small intake area for the donations. An area to do the recycleing maybe 30 x 30 a back area to work on the computers that will go out for sale 2 10 x 10 areas and a store thats about 20 x 20. No meeting rooms or things of this nature here.

still a cool place.

|23|04Dr|16|12Claw

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to vorlon on Sun May 29 18:15:48 2022
    Ahh I was going to ask if you're looking for a 360k or a
    1.2M Sp> floppy... if you're at 1.44 you want a 3.5" jobby?

Have plenty of those disks, it is the 360K drive, that rare elusive beast that I'm looking for.

\/orlon

Yes, it can. The 1.2M drive has a narrower head, so writes narrower tracks than the 360K drive. It works, but because it doesn't overwrite the tracks laid by a 360K drive completely, it may cause reliability issues, especially when you go to read it on a 360K drive later. I have read and written 360K disks on a 1.2M drive just fine (except for those where the magnetic coating peeled off and jammed the head), but they just won't be optimal for use on the original 360K drives.

My hope is to get a real 360K drive.

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to Spectre on Sun May 29 18:18:16 2022

Most stuff which was ported ran better on loonix... that was pretty true
    I reckon all the way up to Quake III, after that I don't know because I stopped using it for any of that kinda stuff... but even QIII was only being used as a server, not a play station, no pun intended.

Spec

I did find that native Quake 3 ran just that little bit better on Linux than Windows. It wasn't much, just a few or more FPS, but it did load a little faster.

• From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to vorlon on Sat May 28 07:07:00 2022
    vorlon wrote to boraxman <=-

They could read them, but writing a 360k in a 1.2m drive could cause inconsistent results when you tried to read it in a 360k drive, if memory serves.

I kept my 360k drive when I added my 1.2m drive.

... Two protons expelled at each coupling site creates the mode of force
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
  • From vorlon@21:1/195.1 to Spectre on Mon May 30 11:58:40 2022

You can read/write 360s in 1.2 drives. It can lead to some issues
    though, if you write them and put them back in a 360 drive
    sometimes they won't read very well, and can be quite unreliable.

I think it was meant to be due to differences in the head size, and magnetic strength while writing.

Oh ok... I never had to deal with PC 360K drives. I came to the Intel PC
    world when 386's was the norm. My first was a 386dx25 or 384dx40... The
    mice have eaten to much cheese to remember. #-(

\/orlon

• From vorlon@21:1/195.1 to Spectre on Mon May 30 12:02:08 2022

Exactly the same as the II. The other thing that was pretty common
    was to install a 3 way switch, in the front, which would
    permanently enable write protect on or off, or leave it in disk set setting.

I never saw one of those. But that's a good trick.

I did have one drive that ignored it completely due to
    mechanical failure in the arm that activated the switch, that was
    always interesting..

#-<

Poor thing...

\/orlon

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to vorlon on Mon May 30 18:01:00 2022
    Oh ok... I never had to deal with PC 360K drives. I came to the Intel PC world when 386's was the norm. My first was a 386dx25 or 384dx40... The mice have eaten to much cheese to remember. #-(

Now that I've had to reconsider this whole thing... I believe the best
    results I got were to format in a 360k drive, write the desired files on a
    1.2 and then immediately go back to the 360 system and either copy it onto a native 360 floppy or to its HD if it had one.

Where's the cheeeeeeese! (stir any memories?)

Spec

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to vorlon on Tue May 31 00:06:08 2022
    On 30 May 2022 at 11:58a, vorlon pondered and said...

You can read/write 360s in 1.2 drives. It can lead to some issues though, if you write them and put them back in a 360 drive
    sometimes they won't read very well, and can be quite unreliable.

Oh ok... I never had to deal with PC 360K drives. I came to the Intel PC world when 386's was the norm. My first was a 386dx25 or 384dx40... The mice have eaten to much cheese to remember. #-(

What is fun is using that 2M formatting program to format a 360K disk to somewhere close to 900K capacity!

• From vorlon@21:1/195.1 to boraxman on Tue May 31 15:07:52 2022
    Yes, it can. The 1.2M drive has a narrower head, so writes
    narrower tracks than the 360K drive. It works, but because it
    doesn't overwrite the tracks laid by a 360K drive completely, it
    may cause reliability issues, especially when you go to read it on
    a 360K drive later. I have read and written 360K disks on a 1.2M
    drive just fine (except for those where the magnetic coating peeled
    off and jammed the head), but they just won't be optimal for use on
    the original 360K drives.

Oh ok. Thanks for the extra info. As I wrote to Specture, I started using
    PC's when 1.2Mb was standard.

\/orlon

• From vorlon@21:1/195.1 to poindexter FORTRAN on Tue May 31 15:12:10 2022
    They could read them, but writing a 360k in a 1.2m drive could
    cause inconsistent results when you tried to read it in a 360k
    drive, if memory serves.

I kept my 360k drive when I added my 1.2m drive.

As I didn't start using PC's until 1.2Mb was the standard.

We never had this issue on the Amiga, as 99.9% of drive's/Disk's where
    880K. Latter C= brought out a drive that could do 1.44Mb, but it was 100% compatable with the previous 880K standard.

On of the tricks was to slow the drive down when a 1.44Mb disk was
    inserted.

\/orlon

• From vorlon@21:1/195.1 to Spectre on Tue May 31 15:15:58 2022
    the Intel PC world when 386's was the norm. My first was a
    386dx25 or 386dx40... The mice have eaten to much cheese to
    remember. #-(

Now that I've had to reconsider this whole thing... I believe the
    best results I got were to format in a 360k drive, write the
    desired files on a 1.2 and then immediately go back to the 360
    system and either copy it onto a native 360 floppy or to its HD if
    it had one.

That sounds like the bits would fall off and fall on the floor!. %-(

It's down the hall second turn on the left and then on the stand!

\/orlon

• From vorlon@21:1/195.1 to boraxman on Tue May 31 15:17:48 2022
    Oh ok... I never had to deal with PC 360K drives. I came to
    the Intel PC world when 386's was the norm. My first was a

What is fun is using that 2M formatting program to format a 360K
    disk to somewhere close to 900K capacity!

IBM did a trick like that with the release of OS/2. That's why a special program had to be used to write the disk's out.

\/orlon

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to vorlon on Tue May 31 21:53:15 2022
    What is fun is using that 2M formatting program to format a 360K
    disk to somewhere close to 900K capacity!

IBM did a trick like that with the release of OS/2. That's why a special program had to be used to write the disk's out.

\/orlon

Was that the 1.6M DMF format? I never used that but 2M was pretty cool. One nice feature was that you could format the disk with the driver on it. So all you had to was to boot the computer with the disk on, it would load the driver, then DOS, and then you'd have a machine which could support this disk format. So if you took 2M disks to another machine, it would be no problem getting them to work if that machine didn't have 2M installed.

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to vorlon on Wed Jun 1 08:43:00 2022

Sounds like you're youthful enough to have missed Peter Russell Clarke... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSRGjImeN9M
    Not sure off hand who the ads were for, but apparently he would get stroppy with the public because that's all they'd remember "where's the cheese?"
    He also had a cooking show... at one stage, used to pop up on ABC before Dr Who.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLQNmjV1fJg

Spec

• From 2twisty@21:3/166 to poindexter FORTRAN on Tue May 31 23:41:40 2022
    They could read them, but writing a 360k in a 1.2m drive could cause inconsistent results when you tried to read it in a 360k drive, if
    memory serves.

IIRC, if the 360K disk was formatted in a 360k drive, you could reqd and write all you wanted with a 1.2 and the 360k drive would have no issue.

I think where the problem came in was if you formatted a 360k disk in a 1.2MB drive.

But hell, that's 30 years ago, and I can't remember shit past 30 MINUTES ago now......

* Origin: The Ratrace Losers (21:3/166)
  • From boraxman@21:1/101 to Spectre on Wed Jun 1 21:56:06 2022

Sounds like you're youthful enough to have missed Peter Russell Clarke... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSRGjImeN9M
    Not sure off hand who the ads were for, but apparently he would get stroppy with the public because that's all they'd remember "where's the cheese?" He also had a cooking show... at one stage, used to pop up on
    ABC before Dr Who.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLQNmjV1fJg

Spec

Vaguely remember that. I do remember watching his cooking show on ABC after the childrens programs I used to watch had finished.

"Come and get it, with Peter... Russell... Clarke".

Had a friend who's dad looked a lot like him.

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to 2twisty on Wed Jun 1 22:00:13 2022
    On 31 May 2022 at 11:41p, 2twisty pondered and said...

They could read them, but writing a 360k in a 1.2m drive could cause inconsistent results when you tried to read it in a 360k drive, if memory serves.

IIRC, if the 360K disk was formatted in a 360k drive, you could reqd and write all you wanted with a 1.2 and the 360k drive would have no issue.

I think where the problem came in was if you formatted a 360k disk in a 1.2MB drive.

But hell, that's 30 years ago, and I can't remember shit past 30 MINUTES ago now......

Maybe. As mentioned before, the 1.2M drive wouldn't overwrite the tracks laid by a 360K drive completely, so the 360K drive may read the residual information the 1.2M drive didn't overwrite.

• From vorlon@21:1/195.1 to boraxman on Sat Jun 4 22:29:28 2022
    IBM did a trick like that with the release of OS/2. That's why
    a special program had to be used to write the disk's out.

Was that the 1.6M DMF format? I never used that but 2M was pretty
    cool. One nice feature was that you could format the disk with the
    driver on it.

Yes that was the name of the tool, so the format might have been the
    same. That's a good idea for the 2M format, that saves having to get it
    going before hand on machines.

\/orlon

• From vorlon@21:1/195.1 to Spectre on Sat Jun 4 22:31:34 2022

It's down the hall second turn on the left and then on the
    stand!

Sounds like you're youthful enough to have missed Peter Russell
    Clarke... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSRGjImeN9M

Yes, I remember Peter. Used to watch his shows, and I'm not that young!

People think I'm younger that what I really am, and they are supprised
    when I tell them my age.

\/orlon

• From knightbbs@21:1/158 to Arelor on Sun Jun 5 14:03:48 2022
    It's actually illegal to do that here too. (Has to do with insurance should
    the device cause a fire). But i manage to pull it off by doing a little
    "oceans 11" style of heist on the "recupel bins"' (those are where the electronics are). It's part of the thing that makes it fun :)

... A book in the hand is worth two on the shelf!

• From knightbbs@21:1/158 to Bucko on Sun Jun 5 14:04:07 2022
    I totally understand that. When covid started I helped out with a local
    charity that collected laptops for students who had to do remote-schooling
    but did not have a computer. A buddy of mine did al the systems that could handle windows, I got all the older ones and installed Linux on them (a
    minimal version of mate) I loved doing that and giving them a new lease on life.

... Next time you wave at me, use more than one finger!

• From tassiebob@21:3/169 to Spectre on Mon Jun 20 21:05:59 2022
    I regularly trundle past our local waste transfer station. They used to

Same here - I've got 3 within reasonable driving distance, although it's getting harder and harder to find anything good there.

Early on relatively few people went into the shops at the waste transfer station, so good items lasted longer on the shelf making them easier to come by. Back then prices were quite low too. These days the car parks are full, and the prices are usually around eBay levels.

Very occasionally though there will be a gem that goes cheaply because they couldn't find one on eBay as a reference and have no idea what it is, or what it's worth.

* Origin: TassieBob BBS, Hobart, Tasmania (21:3/169)