• C-128 Weekend!

From paulie420@21:2/150 to All on Mon May 31 17:46:36 2021
    I've had some fun with a C-128 system this weekend. First, big thanks to user/sysOp NUKE for getting me great Commodore hardware. I didn't have to DO much, other than let him know I was interested [and make sure PayPal went thru!]... if anyone else is wanting Commodore hardware, he and his daughter are selling some systems. :P

So jumping into the world of Commodore having not owned one back in the day comes with a bit of a learning curve. I made a few mistakes, like ordering an Epyx Fast Boot Clone for a C-64 [drats! Anyone need a brand new one?]; but mostly have gotten along ok. What I've ended up with:

Commodore C-128 System w/ S-Video/RGB out currently. [HDMI in the future..]

JiffyDOS chips w/ phyiscal switch to go back/forth from JiffyDOS to stock. JiffyDOS allows for disk loading up to 10x faster than stock, with easier command-line commands.

uEIC/SDCard solution from RETRO Innovations. Its nice, you can sauder inside of your machine but I've chosen not to modify and have their daughterboard for external use. I need to get a 3d-printed case for this; if I could do it all over I'd of ordered the nicer, more expensive, SD2IEC option. It has an LCD screen and mounts as a CMD hard drive that has support for partitions, directories and.. is just really nice. $90 tho - ouch.

WiFi Modem from Netsurge @ Retro Rewind. I haven't recieved this just yet, AND I ordered that dang C-64 Epyx Loader too. Ugh. :P Frank's documentation is bar-none, and I was super happy to order from him as opposed to building my own - the software is all open-source, so you can certainly go that route!

Brand new C-128 power suppy; well, its not OEM... but looks great and has correct looking logos. Figured its better to not use the stock beast, some decades later. :P

Ok sorry for the book - but I'm having a lot of fun with this system. You can certainly spin up your own, with a lot less headaches and for the price of $0.00, but downloading VICE and running it wherever you like. It was nice to USE VICE as a way to learn the Commodore system before I was on real hardware.

In the future I'd like to learn about running CP/M on this machine, collecting old BBStros and other Commodore demo screen stuff, [The Second Reality conversion is AWESOME!!] I wanna load the Super Mario Bros. port and do some BBSing! Any other suggestions?! Commodores are wonderful, and now I have a system that makes me smile.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/05/03 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbS>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)
  • From Lightman@21:3/143 to paulie420 on Tue Jun 1 16:13:17 2021
    Hi Paulie420,

I've had some fun with a C-128 system this weekend. First, big thanks to Commodore C-128 System w/ S-Video/RGB out currently. [HDMI in the future..]

I just looked at the c128 box in my closet and had the thought of pulling it and setting it up. Problem was / is, I don't know what I want to do with
    it... lol.

JiffyDOS chips w/ phyiscal switch to go back/forth from JiffyDOS to pa>
    stock. JiffyDOS allows for disk loading up to 10x faster than stock, pa> with easier command-line commands.
    uEIC/SDCard solution from RETRO Innovations. Its nice, you can sauder inside of

A friend of mine and I built a similar SD interface for my C64 a while back
    (he did the design, I only did the fun part - testing). Man, that was soo
    much nicer than swapping floppies, and actually made it much simpler to run a C-NET board or something.

If you get bored, it would be nice to document / keep track of your setup, especially on some of the newer stuff that is prevalent now. I am sure I can
    do most of the same stuff with FPGA, but since I have several commodore computers, it would be a nice reference.

I've been using an Amiga a ton recently to do some old gaming and call boards (which never display properly - and most Amiga boards that advertise seem to
    be offline when I call). Still its been fun. What do you plan to do with your 128?
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Pedalion BBS (21:3/143)
  • From Otto Reverse@21:1/225 to paulie420 on Wed Jun 2 00:08:51 2021
    That's awesome. I started collecting obsolete computers in the 90's. They became retro later lol. Grew up with a C64 but in my collecting I found I
    was drawn to systems I didn't own and had no experience with (except Apple
    II, had those in high school).

I'm downsizing the collection and got rid of most of my Commodore stuff
    last year. I still have a C128 (that is badly yellowed), a couple power supplies, two disk drives (I think) and a 1084 monitor that works but the
    power switch no longer stays clicked in the on position. Fixable I'm sure.

Most collectors tend to be into games, I was all about games back in the
    80's. But in my collecting I gravitated to monochrome 80 column systems and applications. The C128 having 80 cols is why I bought it. But a TRS-80
    Model 4D was always the heart of my collection (and the biggest part by far).

I'm probably going to sell off all of it over time (will take a long time to do) and use the proceeds to buy an IBM XT 5160 and (if I can find one) an IBM EGA monitor. They are way over priced now but so is everything else with
    this hobby. Which is why I'm selling off most of it, greed lol.

Cheers,
    Doug
    * Origin: Free Speech You Smeg Head (21:1/225)
  • From Bucko@21:4/131 to Lightman on Tue Jun 1 20:10:17 2021
    On 01 Jun 2021, Lightman said the following...

A friend of mine and I built a similar SD interface for my C64 a while back (he did the design, I only did the fun part - testing). Man, that
    was soo much nicer than swapping floppies, and actually made it much simpler to run a C-NET board or something.

There are still a bunch of CNet boards out there.. the uIEC/SD that Paulie
    was talking about works great, I had mine partitioned to 12 partitions and
    ran my Image 1.2 board on it for well over a year..

I've been using an Amiga a ton recently to do some old gaming and call boards (which never display properly - and most Amiga boards that advertise seem to be offline when I call). Still its been fun. What do
    you plan to do with your 128?

I run an Amiga board it's a CNet board, wn3.duckdns.org:6400 there are a
    bunch around that run CNet although we are all in Emulation with the
    exception of a few who run real hardware. As for the displaying properly when calling, what term program are you using?> I used to use JRComm and Terminus and had no issues at all.. One of these days I will Greaseweasel the disks
    and put them on one of my emulated systems to call out with.. Most of the
    time Amiga terms that do not display properly is because of the font being used.. Same goes for the 128, a lot of folks have been saying that the ANSI
    of Desterm doesn't look right, if you use the correct font it will...

Al
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (21:4/131)
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to Lightman on Tue Jun 1 16:49:34 2021
    I just looked at the c128 box in my closet and had the thought of
    pulling it and setting it up. Problem was / is, I don't know what I want to do with it... lol.

I press you to doso. I, also, understand not knowing what to get into... but I'm going to have fun trying to collect some retro BBS files/demos/etc.

A friend of mine and I built a similar SD interface for my C64 a while back (he did the design, I only did the fun part - testing). Man, that
    was soo much nicer than swapping floppies, and actually made it much simpler to run a C-NET board or something.

So... there is a LOT of information out there/available already - the problem is, as you stated, a newbie ESPECIALLY won't know whats most up-to-date and correct information. From what I can gather, I went with the 2nd (Or 3rd, depending on if you support the Ultimate 64+ stuff..) best option in getting JiffyDOS and the RETRO Innovations uIEC/SDCard solution.

There is one, quite expensive @ $90 tho, SDCard solution that emulates a CMD hard disk - this is read because you can have partitions and directories on the SDCard... and the hardware handles all with ease. Heres the link, and I'd of went for this if I had all the BEST info when I ordered my stuff:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164199283019?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED% 26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180816085401%26meid%3Dcb2001a3608445cd849690636e9a9aef%26pid %3D100970%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D9%26sd%3D164199283019%26itm%3D164199283019%26pmt%3D1 %26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DCommodore&_trksid=p2380057.c100970.m5481&_t rkparms=pageci%3A7f40e5d6-c333-11eb-ad13-22e58709d67f%7Cparentrq%3Ac9f81bb71790 acf348d8366cffea2590%7Ciid%3A1

(Search eBay for "NEW SD2IEC LCD SD Card Reader for Commodore 64 C64, C128, VIC-20" ... sorry about that ridiculous link!!)

I've been using an Amiga a ton recently to do some old gaming and call boards (which never display properly - and most Amiga boards that advertise seem to be offline when I call). Still its been fun. What do
    you plan to do with your 128?

Right now I'm just trying to get it 'futurized' as much as possible. This included JiffyDOS and an acceptable SDCard solution - which I have, but the above link is REALLY nice. Still waiting on my WiFi Modem, which i would have built myself but I really just wanted to support BBS user Netsurge and his RetroRewind.ca store... :P Since I'm almost all setup, I anticipate collecting historical BBStros/demos and scene software/programs - calling some BBSes - coding a bit of BASIC and I want to learn CP/M. :P Aside from that, I may convert to HDMI out - but I really don't like to modify vintage/antique stuff; whether it be a Philco Predicta or a Commodore computer... so I dunno if I'll be drilling any more holes, other that the JiffyDOS switch. :P

Cheers - pull yours out, they are so fun.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to Otto Reverse on Tue Jun 1 18:59:18 2021
    First, thanks for the reply Otto. :P I appreciate rapping old tech, and fsxNet is certainly the most awesome place to doso. I love the new areas here....

That's awesome. I started collecting obsolete computers in the 90's.
    They became retro later lol. Grew up with a C64 but in my collecting I found I was drawn to systems I didn't own and had no experience with (except Apple II, had those in high school).

I started out, well no... my VERY FIRST computer was a DIGITAL CP/M machine; back then I had no idea what CP/M was, nor how to use it... my uncle worked at IBM WHQ in Hyde Park, NY... and he was like 'what the hell have you got that machine for!?'. :P

Our second computer was a loaner 5150 from uncle Howie. Omg, that was a great 8088 system, too - straight from IBM we had the best of the best... I *think* it was a 4 color CGA monitor, extra memory and a 10MB HDD. However, it was on loan so back it went...

I remember a Tandy 1000DX after that, because we weren't IBM $$$; and my parents still went broke getting me that Tandy system.

I'm downsizing the collection and got rid of most of my Commodore stuff last year. I still have a C128 (that is badly yellowed), a couple power supplies, two disk drives (I think) and a 1084 monitor that works but the power switch no longer stays clicked in the on position. Fixable I'm sure.

Oh, really? What have you to part with??? [Big eyes, lol.] I have a couple systems I want to get my hands on one day - an Apple IIe like in school; or similar or a retro Apple thats smarter to get into than an Apple IIe. My all time lust machine would be an x68000 - omg... the games they had when we were still on Wolfenstein. Lust.

The C128 having 80 cols is why I bought it. But a
    TRS-80 Model 4D was always the heart of my collection (and the biggest part by far).

Yes, I'm still hunting original Commmodore monitors for that feature - or, I may buy some other hardware that will allow me to get it on a current monitor - right now I just have SVideo/RGB out, so... 40cols for me.

I'm probably going to sell off all of it over time (will take a long
    time to do) and use the proceeds to buy an IBM XT 5160 and (if I can
    find one) an IBM EGA monitor. They are way over priced now but so is everything else with this hobby. Which is why I'm selling off most of
    it, greed lol.

Yea, I also have a place in my heart for 5150/5160/AT machines. :P Nothing beats that big hunk of metal... well, aside from everything that came after it??? No... thats not right. ;P

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to Bucko on Tue Jun 1 19:02:27 2021
    There are still a bunch of CNet boards out there.. the uIEC/SD that
    Paulie was talking about works great, I had mine partitioned to 12 partitions and ran my Image 1.2 board on it for well over a year..

Bucko, I'm glad you chimed in... I heard SOMETHING about it, the uIEC/SD that I linked, having some issue with running BBSes... did it mention something about... databases? Or.... *1* issue that I can't think of right now. Anyway, I think my SDCard solution is ... good... but not as nice as that CMD/hard drive emulator one. Ugh. Wish I would have had all the info before I ordered stuff... anyway, I'm STILL gonna jump in - glad I ordered a JiffyDOS, I think. :P

I run an Amiga board it's a CNet board, wn3.duckdns.org:6400 there are a bunch around that run CNet although we are all in Emulation with the exception of a few who run real hardware. As for the displaying properly when calling, what term program are you using?> I used to use JRComm and Terminus and had no issues at all.. One of these days I will
    Greaseweasel the disks and put them on one of my emulated systems to
    call out with.. Most of the time Amiga terms that do not display
    properly is because of the font being used.. Same goes for the 128, a
    lot of folks have been saying that the ANSI of Desterm doesn't look
    right, if you use the correct font it will...

Yer awesome, rockstar - I'm not even sure I'm on ALL of your BBSes. Lol... I love that you still enjoy these old systems and... while I'm not at your level at ALL... I'm enjoying GETTING STARTED in retro.

Yeeee hawwwww!
    [/me tends to play with shiny objects in front of him....]

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
  • From Lightman@21:3/143 to paulie420 on Wed Jun 2 11:26:18 2021
    Hey paulie420,

think my SDCard solution is ... good... but not as nice as that CMD/hard
    drive emulator one. Ugh. Wish I would have had all the info before I ordered stuff...

anyway, I'm STILL gonna jump in - glad I ordered a JiffyDOS, I think. :P

This is exactly the thing I would love to avoid. Not that its a huge deal, as you say, but having that insight so as to get the right pieces/parts the
    first time around. My C128 sits, in the box, just as it was the day a friend
    of mine bought it - very stock (and, fortunately, still in very good condition).

My other issue is that I can emulate the thing in hardware (FPGA), so that kinda makes it difficult to pull the hardware out which takes so much real estate by the time I get out the monitor, cpu, disk drives and power brick. Having newer disk tech certainly helps here. Are there any decent/easy mods
    for video: VGA/ HDMI? Not having to get another monitor (let alone CRT) out, will help some as well...

cheers!
  • From Lightman@21:3/143 to Bucko on Wed Jun 2 11:35:17 2021

I run an Amiga board it's a CNet board, wn3.duckdns.org:6400 there are a bunch around that run CNet although we are all in Emulation with the exception of a few who run real hardware. As for the displaying properly

Al

Ah nice - I will try to call today, if I get a chance after my meetings -
    I've hit about 3 or 4 amiga boards lately ... most were offline, or running synchronet/linux (no issues with this, its still Amiga themed).

exception of a few who run real hardware. As for the displaying properly when calling, what term program are you using?> I used to use JRComm and Terminus and had no issues at all.. One of these days I will

I am using Term - the latest version I've found. I'll look for those
    mentioned above and give them a whirl, but as you suggest below...

properly is because of the font being used.. Same goes for the 128, a

... I have been wondering if this is my issue. I changed fonts to no avail,
    but I probably just need to load a known-good. Everything is very stock atm. --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
  • From Otto Reverse@21:1/225 to paulie420 on Wed Jun 2 17:37:53 2021
    I started out, well no... my VERY FIRST computer was a DIGITAL CP/M machine; back then I had no idea what CP/M was, nor how to use it... my uncle worked at IBM WHQ in Hyde Park, NY... and he was like 'what the
    hell have you got that machine for!?'. :P

Cool! I doubt I would have been interested in it back then either. I did
    lust after a few business machines I'd see in catalogs, but generally if it couldn't match a C64 in games I wasn't interested.

Oh, really? What have you to part with??? [Big eyes, lol.] I have a
    couple systems I want to get my hands on one day - an Apple IIe like in school; or similar or a retro Apple thats smarter to get into than an Apple IIe. My all time lust machine would be an x68000 - omg... the
    games they had when we were still on Wolfenstein. Lust.

I sold my IIe Platinum last year. While I did manage to focus on the TRS-80 Model 4 for a while, I tend to want any and every machine I can get my hands on. And get I did during the 90's and first decade of the 2000's while the prices were low. But now I'm going to stick with selling much more than I
    buy. But I'm still going to buy lol.

What do I have to part with? Off the top of my head...Apple IIc, Atari 130XE, tons of Timex Sinclear 1000's lol, an extra Model 4, the C128, a Tandy 1000
    RL and boxes and boxes and boxes of peripherals and boxed/bindered software
    for those systems and others (Atari ST for example) that I've already sold.

I really want to save up (via selling) for that 5160 and monitor!
  • From Bucko@21:4/131 to Lightman on Wed Jun 2 18:33:18 2021
    On 02 Jun 2021, Lightman said the following...

Ah nice - I will try to call today, if I get a chance after my meetings - I've hit about 3 or 4 amiga boards lately ... most were offline, or running synchronet/linux (no issues with this, its still Amiga themed).

I know what you mean. There are about 15 CNet Amiga boards that I know of running in either Emulation or real hardware. I don't have a list but I can
    get you more addresses if you want them...

I am using Term - the latest version I've found. I'll look for those mentioned above and give them a whirl, but as you suggest below...

Term is a good terminal should work fine.. I personally didn't like it back
    in the day when I was using my Amiga to call out, I tried JR Comm and liked that so I bought it.. Then upgraded to the update Terminus... A lot of people though like Term...

... I have been wondering if this is my issue. I changed fonts to no avail, but I probably just need to load a known-good. Everything is very stock atm.

It's very possible it is the font, I wish I could tell you what to look for
    but like I said before I haven't used a Amiga Term in like 28 years! LOL

AL
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (21:4/131)
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to Lightman on Wed Jun 2 15:53:47 2021
    think my SDCard solution is ... good... but not as nice as that CMD/ha
    drive emulator one.

This is exactly the thing I would love to avoid. Not that its a huge
    deal, as you say, but having that insight so as to get the right pieces/parts the first time around. My C128 sits, in the box, just as it was the day a friend of mine bought it - very stock (and, fortunately, still in very good condition).

So, from what I can tell/see thats what keeps happening. We're dealing with 40 year old tech; so... someone writes about 'the best option TODAY' in 2000... and again in 2010... and then I buy in 2020, only to find out there is a new 'best TODAY' option.

If I do any writeups, I'll be sure to put the DATE in as opposed to 'this best thing'...

My other issue is that I can emulate the thing in hardware (FPGA), so
    that kinda makes it difficult to pull the hardware out which takes so
    much real estate by the time I get out the monitor, cpu, disk drives and power brick. Having newer disk tech certainly helps here. Are there any decent/easy mods for video: VGA/ HDMI? Not having to get another monitor (let alone CRT) out, will help some as well...

Yep... I was laughing, as I was attempting to learn some of how Commodores operate, before all my hardware arrived - I have VICE up and running perfectly on an old laptop in 10 minutes; and theres options there for emulating disk drives and the whole 9 yards. LOL...

I'm gonna take the route of... I'm gonna get MY hardware up to '2o2o' standards and just start my software collection, and DOING things with it - I'm sure at some point it will end up in a closet for another decade, but theres still something to be said for getting that closet hardware running the best it can TODAY and, IMO, upgrading some hardware to keep it 'bleeding edge vintage'. LOL.

Nice chatting with you about these old things, Lightman!

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to Lightman on Wed Jun 2 15:55:52 2021
    I run an Amiga board it's a CNet board, wn3.duckdns.org:6400 there ar bunch around that run CNet although we are all in Emulation with the exception of a few who run real hardware. As for the displaying prope

Ah nice - I will try to call today, if I get a chance after my meetings - I've hit about 3 or 4 amiga boards lately ... most were offline, or running synchronet/linux (no issues with this, its still Amiga themed).

I am using Term - the latest version I've found. I'll look for those mentioned above and give them a whirl, but as you suggest below...

... I have been wondering if this is my issue. I changed fonts to no avail, but I probably just need to load a known-good. Everything is very stock atm.

Just a heads up to anyone wanting to connect to Amiga boards using real hardware; or hell, even if you're on some WinUAE system - aBSINTHE BBS has all the current term proggies, fonts and setup info you'd need to doso. Both on real Amiga hardware and emulation... there is a file area with everything you need. Really a nice source:

absinthebbs.net:1940

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to Otto Reverse on Wed Jun 2 16:03:33 2021
    my VERY FIRST computer was a DIGITAL CP/M
    machine; back then I had no idea what CP/M was, nor how to use it...

Cool! I doubt I would have been interested in it back then either. I did lust after a few business machines I'd see in catalogs, but generally if it couldn't match a C64 in games I wasn't interested.

Yea, since I had no idea about CP/M, the only software included in that DIGITAL computer was like system how-to disks, some demos of system stuff and - basically NOTHING. Without even a modem, or any way to get useful software it basically just got me excited about the THOUGHT of computers. I went thru those demo and system disks many times, tho. :P Lol... Wish I'd of kept it as I got into BBSing straightaway on the IBM machines. I could have found good CP/M software, I'm sure.

What do I have to part with? Off the top of my head...Apple IIc, Atari 130XE, tons of Timex Sinclear 1000's lol, an extra Model 4, the C128, a Tandy 1000 RL and boxes and boxes and boxes of peripherals and boxed/bindered software for those systems and others (Atari ST for example) that I've already sold.

Wow - the Tandy 1000 RL was almost exactly that first computer Mom & Dad got me. :P Back then the Tandy graphics were even a bit better than the earlier IBM machines - I might want to own one again.

The Apple IIc, tho... hmmm which model is that? Shipping is such a crap shoot anyway; and as you stated, current prices are like - stupid. Nice machines you listed, tho. Where are you located? I'm in Portland, OR area.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to Bucko on Wed Jun 2 16:09:12 2021
    I know what you mean. There are about 15 CNet Amiga boards that I know of running in either Emulation or real hardware. I don't have a list but I can get you more addresses if you want them...

mASTURBATION sTATION @ mstation.servebbs.com:23
    Uzi Suicide @ uzisuicide.servebbs.com:23
    Amiga City @ amigacity.xyz:23
    Death Row @ deathrow.servebbs.com:1001
    Digital-X @ 77.163.20.156:7411
    FastLine @ fastline.nu:1541
    Hysteria @ hysteriabbs.com:23

These are some that I still enjoy. Most of the servebbs.com ones are Ami/X... and I always say it, but the hands down best BBS of ALL - Amiga or not:

aBSINTHE @ absinthebbs.net:1940
    :P

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
  • From Lightman@21:3/143 to paulie420 on Thu Jun 3 00:25:46 2021
    with 40 year old tech; so... someone writes about 'the best option
    TODAY' in 2000... and again in 2010... and then I buy in 2020, only to find out there is a new 'best TODAY' option.

EXACTLY! And it makes it all the more frustrating when you don't realize that the site you are on is the 2010 version. ;-)

If I do any writeups, I'll be sure to put the DATE in as opposed to
    'this best thing'...

Yeah - I'm trying to think of what the BBS version of longer term docs are - I'm guessing text files kind of fit this bill. I was young enough in the 80s that I only called bbses to flame people in message bases and download
    games. I never really thought about the tech of it.

Are TFiles still a thing? Where should paulie keep this doc for the good of BBSers everywhere? Sorry Paulie420 - I've got you committed here... :-P
  • From Lightman@21:3/143 to Bucko on Thu Jun 3 00:34:50 2021
    Term is a good terminal should work fine.. I personally didn't like it back in the day when I was using my Amiga to call out, I tried JR Comm
    and liked that so I bought it.. Then upgraded to the update Terminus...
    A lot of people though like Term...

I'm indifferent as I don't know. I had a VIC20/C64 and then skipped over to 8088. So I missed the whole Amiga thing (except for friends who had good
    color, sound and a lot more RAM on their Amigas :-)). In any case, I am now running a Minimig AGA Amiga/1200 for my full-time system (when I'm not on my macbook for work). Its been a ton of fun, except for my font issues.

I'm going to dial around now and see if I can find another term proggie as
    I've flipped the bits on term 4.8 (3.10.97), to no avail.

Thanks guys!
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to Lightman on Wed Jun 2 19:10:10 2021
    with 40 year old tech; so... someone writes about 'the best option TODAY' in 2000... and again in 2010... and then I buy in 2020, only t find out there is a new 'best TODAY' option.

EXACTLY! And it makes it all the more frustrating when you don't realize that the site you are on is the 2010 version. ;-)

If I do any writeups, I'll be sure to put the DATE in as opposed to 'this best thing'...

Yeah - I'm trying to think of what the BBS version of longer term docs
    are - I'm guessing text files kind of fit this bill. I was young enough
    in the 80s that I only called bbses to flame people in message bases and download games. I never really thought about the tech of it.

Are TFiles still a thing? Where should paulie keep this doc for the good of BBSers everywhere? Sorry Paulie420 - I've got you committed here...
    :-P

Alright, you booger - I'll bite. :P I don't really know the current BBS place where current, up to date stuff goes - so many boards, softwares, sysOps and etc have different setups. Really I'd say that the FTNs are the best place - like right here @ fsxNet in the retro msg areas...

But @ 2o, my board, I like to have different sections setup where people can find current, different and unique content. So... since I have this C-128 project, I wonder if I can code up a C-128 section... hell, we'd need a moderator or two - cough... the guy who pulled my name into this - but... maybe I can swing a section @ 2o... that covers updating a C-128 [or C-64] in 2o21. There are PLENTY of people who REALLY know these computers.. and I don't wanna call their names out but. People who have posted on our threads in the past few days. And other folks who lurk in the BBS scene and elsewhere.

I'm interested - and I'll host a section for us to curate... if yer ready to curate it WITH me. :P I'll cover what I'm doing to MY C-128... and maybe you have some input too. The best place, tho, is right here on fsxNet... and I'll continue to post my blurbs here - come on over and help me create, sir Lightman.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to Lightman on Wed Jun 2 19:11:18 2021
    I'm going to dial around now and see if I can find another term proggie
    as I've flipped the bits on term 4.8 (3.10.97), to no avail.

As I stated, you can find Amiga hardware AND emulation terms, setups and fonts @ aBSINTHE BBS. absinthebbs.net:1940

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
  • From Otto Reverse@21:1/225 to paulie420 on Thu Jun 3 23:17:11 2021
    Wow - the Tandy 1000 RL was almost exactly that first computer Mom & Dad got me. :P Back then the Tandy graphics were even a bit better than the earlier IBM

machines - I might want to own one again.

The Apple IIc, tho... hmmm which model is that? Shipping is such a crap shoot anyway; and as you stated, current prices are like - stupid. Nice machines you listed, tho. Where are you located? I'm in Portland, OR
    area.

Well then before I list it on eBay (probably next month) I'll send you a message first in case you want it (and I won't be offended if you don't lol).

The IIc is not the desirable one but the earlier one. It's in great shape though and I have one of those tiny green monochrome monitors on a little
    stand that the IIc fits under.

I'm on the other side of the continent in Nova Scotia so shipping will suck hard. No getting around it. UPS and Fedex etc are expensive and Canada Post, well if you think USPS charges too much try Canada Post. They just
    introduced flat rate boxes last year or two and domestic only. Rates keep going up. Service never improves. But hey, 20 years ago I thought shipping rates were too high so who knows...
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Otto Reverse on Sat Jun 5 12:21:00 2021
    The IIc is not the desirable one but the earlier one. It's in great shape

I'm not sure aside from the IIc+ there is a specifically desirable IIc. The real early ones had serial port limitations, and you can upgrade the system ROM versions in them if you're so incline. But generally a IIc seems to be a IIc and thats about it.

Spec

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    --- SuperBBS v1.17-3 (Eval)
    * Origin: A camel is a horse designed by a committee. (21:3/101)
  • From Otto Reverse@21:1/225 to Spectre on Wed Jun 9 16:19:02 2021
    I'm not sure aside from the IIc+ there is a specifically desirable IIc. The real early ones had serial port limitations, and you can upgrade the system ROM
    versions in them if you're so incline. But generally a IIc seems to be
    a IIc and thats about it.

Yeah, that odd sized serial port (compared to everything I own for Mac/Apple that would otherwise be compatible) is a pain. I've never got round to
    making an adapter so that machine doesn't get much use. But it works well otherwise and in terms of storage space for collecting it is is quite small.
    I preferred my IIe Platinum but one had to go. Small space won out.