• Games of 2022

From Utopian Galt@21:4/108 to All on Wed Mar 2 18:55:01 2022
    It seems not many games I want to buy this year.

March
    -----
    Triangle Strategy
    the new Kirby Game

April
    -----
    Nintendo Switch Sports
    Chrono Cross Remaster

--- WWIV 5.5.1.3261
    * Origin: inland utopia * california * iutopia.duckdns.org:2023 (21:4/108)
  • From Arelor@21:2/138 to Utopian Galt on Thu Mar 3 10:39:06 2022
    Re: Games of 2022
    By: Utopian Galt to All on Wed Mar 02 2022 06:55 pm

It seems not many games I want to buy this year.

March
    -----
    Triangle Strategy
    the new Kirby Game

April
    -----
    Nintendo Switch Sports
    Chrono Cross Remaster

I haven't bought a game in years. I can keep playing the classics forever.

There are also lots of interesting FOSS games such as Hyper Rogue. Or you can play Rogue and Brogue at my server :-)

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (21:2/138)
  • From bbsing@21:1/172 to Arelor on Mon Mar 21 20:52:22 2022
    I haven't bought a game in years. I can keep playing the classics
    forever.

I know what you mean. I keep playing classics. They are pretty good. There
    are some new games out there and they are beautiful looking games, but for me since I've been gaming since the classics, many seem like a version of the classics, some have way better graphics though.

The multiplayer aspects are at next level compared to the classics.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: The Bottomless Abyss BBS * bbs.bottomlessabyss.net (21:1/172)
  • From Arelor@21:2/138 to bbsing on Mon Mar 21 20:25:22 2022
    Re: Re: Games of 2022
    By: bbsing to Arelor on Mon Mar 21 2022 08:52 pm

I haven't bought a game in years. I can keep playing the classics forever.

I know what you mean. I keep playing classics. They are pretty good. There are some new games out there and they are beautiful looking games, but for m since I've been gaming since the classics, many seem like a version of the classics, some have way better graphics though.

The multiplayer aspects are at next level compared to the classics.

I don't do much multiplayer. When I was a kid I always played campaign modes because I had no friends to play with :-)

Many source ports from old games support multiplayer modes. Even the Dune I source ports support multiplayer mode (or the Command and Conquer clones). Also, many classic games support LAN multiplayer, which nowadays is easily emulated over the Internet.

I should try to drag my friends into a Diablo I emulated-LAN game.

--
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From boraxman@21:1/101 to Arelor on Tue Mar 22 22:46:15 2022
    Many source ports from old games support multiplayer modes. Even the
    Dune I source ports support multiplayer mode (or the Command and Conquer clones). Also, many classic games support LAN multiplayer, which

Dune I, or did you mean Dune II?

I always wanted to play Dune II multiplayer!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Arelor@21:2/138 to boraxman on Tue Mar 22 04:54:49 2022
    By: boraxman to Arelor on Tue Mar 22 2022 10:46 pm

Many source ports from old games support multiplayer modes. Even the Dune I source ports support multiplayer mode (or the Command and Conque clones). Also, many classic games support LAN multiplayer, which

Dune II, my bad.

Check Dune Legacy. I think there is at least another port. The problem is they are tailored for multiplayer ONLY so forget about playing campaign mode. For that it is better to run the MSDOS original (even if under emulation)

--
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From boraxman@21:1/101 to Arelor on Wed Mar 23 00:02:46 2022

Dune II, my bad.

Check Dune Legacy. I think there is at least another port. The problem
    is they are tailored for multiplayer ONLY so forget about playing
    campaign mode. For that it is better to run the MSDOS original (even if under emulation)

--

I do have dune legacy, must have missed the multiplayer option as I went straight to campaign mode.

It is shame that the friends which would have really wanted to play Dune II in the mid 90s multiplayer probably won't be interested now.

• From bbsing@21:4/156 to Arelor on Wed Mar 23 02:42:33 2022
    I don't do much multiplayer. When I was a kid I always played campaign modesbecause I had no friends to play with :-)

Doom and Doom II, I was lucky enough to tie up the phone line with my neighbor down the street. Playing over modem using the chat feature in the game was awesome for the time.

I missed Diablo I, but I did get into some local lan time on Diablo II.

Have you played Diablo II?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2020/10/19 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: The ROCK III - therockbbs.net - TELNET:10023 (21:4/156)
  • From boraxman@21:1/101 to bbsing on Wed Mar 23 23:14:27 2022
    Doom and Doom II, I was lucky enough to tie up the phone line with my neighbor down the street. Playing over modem using the chat feature in
    the game was awesome for the time.

Heh, my friends and I used to lug our computers to each others places. I didn't originally have a fast enough modem, but even when I did get one, we still met up for the social aspect, for not tying up the phone line, ease of organising games (much easier to start/stop games in person than over the phone) and just general fun of being in the same room and taunting each other verbally.

Great times!

• From Arelor@21:2/138 to bbsing on Wed Mar 23 10:26:56 2022
    By: bbsing to Arelor on Wed Mar 23 2022 02:42 am

Diablo II never looked attractive to me. It seemed to lack Diablo I's atmosphere.

I have heard the multiplayer is mostly improved from I. Diablo I's multiplayer always seemed like an afterthought which happened to work.

--
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From bbsing@21:4/156 to boraxman on Fri Mar 25 01:25:47 2022
    Heh, my friends and I used to lug our computers to each others places.
    I didn't originally have a fast enough modem, but even when I did get
    one, we still met up for the social aspect, for not tying up the phone line, ease of organising games (much easier to start/stop games in
    person than over the phone) and just general fun of being in the same
    room and taunting each other verbally.

In person is really the best.
    Sometime around 1999 through possibly 2004, a bunch of internet cafes popped up. So Friday or Saturday night would be gaming in the cafe. That was great because those computers were better than I had, and for way way cheaper than an arcade (if you were not epic player), that entire lan party experience could be had.
    Then the internet cafe's just vanished.

The taunting aspect was certainly a fun part of it. People knew when not to take it too far, and it seemed to just push each of us to try a bit harder, and play a bit better.

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to bbsing on Fri Mar 25 21:37:30 2022
    In person is really the best.
    Sometime around 1999 through possibly 2004, a bunch of internet cafes popped up. So Friday or Saturday night would be gaming in the cafe. That was great because those computers were better than I had, and for way
    way cheaper than an arcade (if you were not epic player), that entire
    lan party experience could be had.
    Then the internet cafe's just vanished.

The taunting aspect was certainly a fun part of it. People knew when not to take it too far, and it seemed to just push each of us to try a bit harder, and play a bit better.

Some friends and I used to play at my house, and at time one of their places. We'd play Doom and Call of Duty mostly, Doom was played using DOS with some old computers I had connected via ISA network cards.

I remember once with some other friends, we wanted to play Doom three player. Well, the stock standard sersetup didn't allow it, and we didn't have a network. But there was a variant of sersetup, the serial driver than set up serial/modem games that did support three players.

So one computer was linked to mine via a null modem cable. The other, we brought our modems, and connected them both to a phone socket double adapter, no actual phone line used. With the modems connected to the double adapater, if we got both to "answer" with an ATA command at the same time, they would handshake and negotiate despite not being connected to the phone system. You had to get the timing right, but then if you exited the terminal program, you could then initiate the three way Doom. Took ages to get working ,but we played until it was almost dawn.

• From bbsing@21:4/156 to boraxman on Sat Mar 26 04:07:44 2022
    Some friends and I used to play at my house, and at time one of their places. We'd play Doom and Call of Duty mostly, Doom was played using
    DOS with some old

computers I had connected via ISA network cards.

I remember once with some other friends, we wanted to play Doom three player. Well, the stock standard sersetup didn't allow it, and we didn't have a network. But there was a variant of sersetup, the serial driver than set up serial/modem games that did support three players.

Yes the sersetup! That was the way to do it, and you never knew was it going to work the first time or not.

So one computer was linked to mine via a null modem cable. The other,
    we brought our modems, and connected them both to a phone socket double adapter, no actual phone line used. With the modems connected to the double adapater, if we got both to "answer" with an ATA command at the

ATS0=1, and a nice ATA at the other end.

same time, they would handshake and negotiate despite not being
    connected to the phone system. You had to get the timing right, but
    then if you exited the terminal program, you could then initiate the

Eventually my neighbor and I found out we could use our terminal program to initiate the call (telix), then not hang, then start a multi player doom.
    I didn't realize 3 players could play. That would have been awesome.

three way Doom. Took ages to get working ,but we played until it was almost dawn.

That sounds awesome! My roommate and I played via null modem cable. Like you I had no network card so it was modems or serial lines. Long ago I could play games until dawn and not be wrecked two days later :)

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to bbsing on Sat Mar 26 23:55:52 2022
    Yes the sersetup! That was the way to do it, and you never knew was it going to work the first time or not.

It worked OK over the null modem cable (I still have one!)

ATS0=1, and a nice ATA at the other end.

We did "ATA" at both ends, timed *just* right. Had to configure the modems the same.

Eventually my neighbor and I found out we could use our terminal program to initiate the call (telix), then not hang, then start a multi player doom. I didn't realize 3 players could play. That would have been awesome.

That sounds awesome! My roommate and I played via null modem cable. Like you I had no network card so it was modems or serial lines. Long ago I could play games until dawn and not be wrecked two days later :)

The three player functionality was some third party mod. Someone wrote their own version of sersetup which could do it. Most of the time, we just used the null modem cable.

Man, I miss those days!

• From bbsing@21:4/156 to boraxman on Sun Mar 27 02:56:50 2022

It worked OK over the null modem cable (I still have one!)

I got a couple of think clients and wifimodems and so I'm trying to get them to behave like a dialup. Some of the easier config programs from back in the
    days of linux don't like the wifimodem (wimodem) because they don't detect a dial tone. When I get more time I'll swing back to working the ttymodem setup and create a dialin server to be used kinda like telehack, or a BBS.

The three player functionality was some third party mod. Someone wrote their own version of sersetup which could do it. Most of the time, we just used the null modem cable.

Man, I miss those days!

I know what you mean. I miss those days too. I don't know why exactly. Things most things are so much easier these days, or maybe it just seems that way after computing for so long.

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to bbsing on Sun Mar 27 21:45:41 2022
    I got a couple of think clients and wifimodems and so I'm trying to get them to behave like a dialup. Some of the easier config programs from
    back in the days of linux don't like the wifimodem (wimodem) because
    they don't detect a dial tone. When I get more time I'll swing back to working the ttymodem setup and create a dialin server to be used kinda like telehack, or a BBS.

The three player functionality was some third party mod. Someone wro their own version of sersetup which could do it. Most of the time, w just used the null modem cable.

Man, I miss those days!

I know what you mean. I miss those days too. I don't know why exactly. Things most things are so much easier these days, or maybe it just seems that way after computing for so long.

It is easier now, provided you have your networking set up. It could be difficult with some of the Windows users, who had to much around with drivers to get it working. A lot of time wasted on that. Though the null modem was easy too.

Back then, it was a social event, a big deal. We'd organise in advance, make a day, or evening or whole night of it. Now you can just hop on a server, hop off, but the social element is missing.