• Linux

From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Thu Sep 10 12:03:28 2020
    Is there a preferred distro to use or avoid for setting up a HUB under Linux when looking to run software like BinkD and HPT, freq tools etc.

I was thinking something like Debian or CentOS ??

Dunno... I'm a babe in the Linux woods :)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Al@21:4/106.1 to Avon on Wed Sep 9 17:16:38 2020
    Is there a preferred distro to use or avoid for setting up a HUB under Linux when looking to run software like BinkD and HPT, freq tools etc.

The prefered distro is in the eye of the beholder. I run slackware myself but it is somewhat slack, I need to build a lot of stuff myself like openoffice if I want something like that. Actually, I think I am using libreoffice these days.

Debian and CentOS are both good choices. I am also rather fond of ubuntu for a server but whatever choice you make, they are all different but more or less the same.. I hope that makes sense.. :)

After useing slackware for so long I'd have to remember just what makes debian or centos different. Mostly package managers. Slackware has a very basic package manager.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (21:4/106.1)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Al on Thu Sep 10 12:25:38 2020
    On 09 Sep 2020 at 05:16p, Al pondered and said...

Debian and CentOS are both good choices. I am also rather fond of ubuntu for a server but whatever choice you make, they are all different but
    more or less the same.. I hope that makes sense.. :)

After useing slackware for so long I'd have to remember just what makes debian or centos different. Mostly package managers. Slackware has a
    very basic package manager.

I've recently installed CentOS for a box running software for my radio
    station and have in the past set up a Debian box for the Usenet server. I'm wanting something that will hopefully play nice with software I have yet to think of that in the past I would have run under windows.. so not sure if windows or dos style emulation abilities is worth factoring in, but just
    trying to think of gotchas.

I've used Ubuntu before and understand it's based of the Debian branch of the Linux family tree.

I'd like to migrate Agency to Linux and run some HUB stuff as well for Fido
    etc using BinkD and HPT instead of Fastecho. So it's baby steps for me.

First thing it to build the box, and before I start decide on OS, I have a machine with an i5 and 8 gigs of ram which I hope/think will be OK. I can see this box having a number of services running on it down the track and may
    look to install Usenet server and migrate things from a separate box that
    sits only doing Usenet now.. the goal being to reduce the number of boxes running in the room etc. :)

• From Satchmo@21:4/144 to Avon on Thu Sep 10 01:26:08 2020
    On 10/09/2020 1:15 am Avon said...

I've been going through this also this week. I toyed with Mystic but I wanted to be able to manipulate config files and store them in a git repo instead.

I was talking to Dan about Husky the other day. And in my ponderings came across this: https://www.kuehlbox.wtf/fidian

It's basically everything you need to become a node. I was going to set it all up and then take a look at the configs to disect how it all works.

You don't have to use a Pi. It works nicely on Debian - perhaps check out the "manual install" section on that page.

HTH

Satch

--- ENiGMA 1/2 v0.0.12-beta (linux; x64; 12.18.3)
    * Origin: Sonic BBS (21:4/144)
  • From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Avon on Wed Sep 9 18:27:42 2020
    On 10 Sep 2020, Avon said the following...

I'm running CRBBS on a Debian 10 system here. Everything is running pretty smooth. Debian is great for running servers, as they don't try to use any 'cutting edge' software. Both BinkD and Husky (HPT, HTick, etc) are running great on it.

I also have them running on my production system here, which is running Manjaro, although these programs don't run all the time, as they're just for testing. Haven't run into any issues here either.

CentOS is one that I haven't looked at yet. I haven't heard anything bad
    about it, so that's a good thing. :)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    aka Dan Richter
    Castle Rock BBS
    telnet://bbs.castlerockbbs.com
    http://www.castlerockbbs.com
    http://github.com/DRPanther
    The sparrows are flying again...

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/25 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Castle Rock BBS - bbs.castlerockbbs.com - (21:1/186)
  • From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Al on Wed Sep 9 18:31:12 2020
    On 09 Sep 2020, Al said the following...

Debian and CentOS are both good choices. I am also rather fond of ubuntu for a server but whatever choice you make, they are all different but
    more or less the same.. I hope that makes sense.. :)

I was a loyal Ubuntu user for awhile. It seemed as though they were trying to compete with Microsoft though. The amount of bloat that came pre-installed
    was getting a bit ridiculous, and then the constant "There are upgrades available" messages...

It is a solid system though, as is Debian and many others.

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    aka Dan Richter
    Castle Rock BBS

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Black Panther on Thu Sep 10 13:50:58 2020
    On 09 Sep 2020 at 06:27p, Black Panther pondered and said...

I'm running CRBBS on a Debian 10 system here. Everything is running
    pretty smooth. Debian is great for running servers, as they don't try to use any 'cutting edge' software. Both BinkD and Husky (HPT, HTick, etc) are running great on it.

good to know thanks, yes Debian is something I am sort of familiar with so
    that helps. I figured Debian 10 would be the way to go.

CentOS is one that I haven't looked at yet. I haven't heard anything bad about it, so that's a good thing. :)

It seems to be based off Red Hat and not updated that often so also suited
    for server work, or so the hype I read says :)

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Black Panther on Thu Sep 10 13:52:46 2020
    On 09 Sep 2020 at 06:31p, Black Panther pondered and said...

I was a loyal Ubuntu user for awhile. It seemed as though they were
    trying to compete with Microsoft though. The amount of bloat that came pre-installed was getting a bit ridiculous, and then the constant "There are upgrades available" messages...

The box I used to run the radio station software on was Ubuntu also and like you it seemed to me to be always wanting to do updates and came with libre office etc... which I didn't want.

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Satchmo on Thu Sep 10 13:53:26 2020
    On 10 Sep 2020 at 01:26a, Satchmo pondered and said...

I was talking to Dan about Husky the other day. And in my ponderings came across this: https://www.kuehlbox.wtf/fidian

It's basically everything you need to become a node. I was going to set
    it all up and then take a look at the configs to disect how it all works.

You don't have to use a Pi. It works nicely on Debian - perhaps check
    out the "manual install" section on that page.

• From Underminer@21:4/103 to Avon on Wed Sep 9 20:11:26 2020
    Re: Linux
    By: Avon to All on Thu Sep 10 2020 12:03 pm

Debian is fantastic for the purpose as apt has a package for binkd already, and

if anything is likely to have a package, it'll have a .deb
    ===
    Underminer - The Undermine BBS
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
    * Origin: bbs.undermine.ca:423 - Calgary, AB (21:4/103)
  • From Al@21:4/106.1 to Avon on Wed Sep 9 19:20:36 2020
    I've recently installed CentOS for a box running software for my radio station and have in the past set up a Debian box for the Usenet server. I'm wanting something that will hopefully play nice with software I have yet to think of that in the past I would have run under windows.. so not sure if windows or dos style emulation abilities is worth factoring in, but just trying to think of gotchas.

Yep, I think those are all good. It's just a matter of finding your own comfortable place.

My last server was ubuntu and I found it just worked for me although I don't have any servers aside from the local one here running MBSE, Mystic and BBBS on

slackware.

I've used Ubuntu before and understand it's based of the Debian branch of the Linux family tree.

It is more or less debian and they have added nice things to it as well. It has

a nice modification so that when you log in you can see at a glance if there are security or system updates to do.

I'd like to migrate Agency to Linux and run some HUB stuff as well for Fido etc using BinkD and HPT instead of Fastecho. So it's baby steps for me.

A good choice for an FTN hub. It can take a bit of fiddling but once your setup

it just works.

First thing it to build the box, and before I start decide on OS, I have a machine with an i5 and 8 gigs of ram which I hope/think will be OK. I can see this box having a number of services running on it down the track and may look to install Usenet server and migrate things from a separate box that sits only doing Usenet now.. the goal being to reduce the number of boxes running in the room etc. :)

I don't have any windows software at all that I run these days but I have used wine to run some in the past. Wine runs from the desktop so I'm not sure you can use any windows tools from a command line.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
  • From Al@21:4/106.1 to Black Panther on Wed Sep 9 19:24:28 2020
    I was a loyal Ubuntu user for awhile. It seemed as though they were trying to compete with Microsoft though. The amount of bloat that came pre-installed was getting a bit ridiculous, and then the constant "There are upgrades available" messages...

I haven't run anything but slackware on any desktop for years so I'm not sure what kind of bloat is shipping these days but I'm not surprised.

It is a solid system though, as is Debian and many others.

I have always prefered debian over ubuntu but my last ubuntu experience was painless, on a server.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Avon on Thu Sep 10 17:15:00 2020
    On 09-10-20 12:03, Avon wrote to All <=-

I'm using Raspian, as I'm running on a Pi, but I don't think the choice of distro is too critical. :)

... An agreeable person: one who agrees with you.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Avon on Thu Sep 10 17:18:00 2020
    On 09-10-20 12:25, Avon wrote to Al <=-

I've recently installed CentOS for a box running software for my radio station and have in the past set up a Debian box for the Usenet server. I'm wanting something that will hopefully play nice with software I
    have yet to think of that in the past I would have run under windows..
    so not sure if windows or dos style emulation abilities is worth
    factoring in, but just trying to think of gotchas.

Windows, probably not. DOS, only if you're planning on running DOS doors on the system, but if it's meant to be a mail hub, I doubt you'll be running DOS doors. :)

I've used Ubuntu before and understand it's based of the Debian branch
    of the Linux family tree.

I'd like to migrate Agency to Linux and run some HUB stuff as well for Fido etc using BinkD and HPT instead of Fastecho. So it's baby steps
    for me.

You may need DOSemu or similar, if you run doors on Agency.

First thing it to build the box, and before I start decide on OS, I
    have a machine with an i5 and 8 gigs of ram which I hope/think will be
    OK. I can see this box having a number of services running on it down

Haha that sounds way overkill. :)

the track and may look to install Usenet server and migrate things from
    a separate box that sits only doing Usenet now.. the goal being to
    reduce the number of boxes running in the room etc. :)

Looks like fun ahead. ;)

... Stop picking your nose and go to the next message
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Avon on Thu Sep 10 17:20:00 2020
    On 09-10-20 13:50, Avon wrote to Black Panther <=-

good to know thanks, yes Debian is something I am sort of familiar with
    so that helps. I figured Debian 10 would be the way to go.

Familiarity is one good reason to choose a distro, if there's no other considerations.

CentOS is one that I haven't looked at yet. I haven't heard anything bad about it, so that's a good thing. :)

It seems to be based off Red Hat and not updated that often so also
    suited for server work, or so the hype I read says :)

CentOS is a repackaged Red Hat Enterprise Linux minus the support contracts. It is a very solid distro, but you will have to get used to a slightly different way of doing some things. But definitely a solid option.

... I got a new shadow. My last shadow wasn't doing what I was doing.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Underminer on Thu Sep 10 17:22:00 2020
    On 09-09-20 20:11, Underminer wrote to Avon <=-

Debian is fantastic for the purpose as apt has a package for binkd already, and if anything is likely to have a package, it'll have a .deb

I still like to compile binkd from source, sometimes the .deb is a bit dated.
    )

... Truth has nothing to fear from examination
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Vk3jed on Thu Sep 10 19:45:52 2020
    On 10 Sep 2020 at 05:20p, Vk3jed pondered and said...

Familiarity is one good reason to choose a distro, if there's no other considerations.

Only the hope that what I end up wanting to run on it (and can't yet foresee what all those 'things' will be) will indeed run.

CentOS is a repackaged Red Hat Enterprise Linux minus the support contracts. It is a very solid distro, but you will have to get used to a slightly different way of doing some things. But definitely a solid option.

Yeah so far the other box I built has been smooth but to be fair I only went that way because the vendor of the software I use has a turnkey installer for it built for that flavour of Linux.

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Vk3jed on Thu Sep 10 19:47:46 2020
    On 10 Sep 2020 at 05:18p, Vk3jed pondered and said...

I'd like to migrate Agency to Linux and run some HUB stuff as well fo Fido etc using BinkD and HPT instead of Fastecho. So it's baby steps for me.

There are a few, not many but some, I guess that's the least of my worries right now.

First thing it to build the box, and before I start decide on OS, I have a machine with an i5 and 8 gigs of ram which I hope/think will b OK. I can see this box having a number of services running on it down

Perhaps, I just don't know as I have little experience of how much you can
    load up a system running Linux without issues starting to occur.

Looks like fun ahead. ;)

I'll keep telling myself that :) Look for lots of questions when I get into
    it. :)

• From Oli@21:3/102 to Avon on Thu Sep 10 10:08:54 2020
    Avon wrote (2020-09-10):

I think Debian is a good choice for FTN, historically it was the platform with the most FTN software packages. Nowadays you want to build the FTN software from the sources anyway, so the choice of distribution doesn't matter that much. But you cannot do much wrong with Debian for FTN. For daily usage Debian stable is always pretty outdated, which can be annoying with some applications.

Some people have good experience with Debian Sid (unstable) as a rolling Distribution and recommend it over Debian testing.

I don't recommend Ubuntu anymore.

If you use some old software, 32-bit compatibility might be important.

---
    * Origin: (21:3/102)
  • From Underminer@21:4/103 to Vk3jed on Thu Sep 10 02:22:40 2020
    Re: Re: Linux
    By: Vk3jed to Underminer on Thu Sep 10 2020 05:22 pm

I still like to compile binkd from source, sometimes the .deb is a bit dated. )

True, but the current package isn't missing anything, especially when you're considering the number of nodes out there running far less up to date mailers :)
    ===
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From Underminer@21:4/103 to Oli on Thu Sep 10 02:25:18 2020
    By: Oli to Avon on Thu Sep 10 2020 10:08 am

I think Debian is a good choice for FTN, historically it was the platform with the most FTN software packages. Nowadays you want to build the FTN software from the sources anyway, so the choice of distribution doesn't matter that much. But you cannot do much wrong with Debian for FTN. For daily usage Debian stable is always pretty outdated, which can be annoying with some applications. Some people have good experience with Debian Sid (unstable) as a rolling Distribution and recommend it over Debian testing.

Eeeerr, let's not recommend a rolling release for hub duty, especially to someone still getting their feet wet.... And that's coming from an Arch user. Debian and Centos can both get a little dated, but that is in part related to the rock solid stability of both.
    ===
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From Oli@21:3/102 to Underminer on Thu Sep 10 10:32:46 2020
    Underminer wrote (2020-09-10):

By: Vk3jed to Underminer on Thu Sep 10 2020 05:22 pm

I still like to compile binkd from source, sometimes the .deb is a
    bit dated. )

True, but the current package isn't missing anything, especially when you're considering the number of nodes out there running far less up to

But it has a couple of major bugs that are missing in the current release (from

github).

---
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Oli on Thu Sep 10 20:54:58 2020
    On 10 Sep 2020 at 10:08a, Oli pondered and said...

I think Debian is a good choice for FTN, historically it was the
    platform with the most FTN software packages. Nowadays you want to build the FTN software from the sources anyway, so the choice of distribution doesn't matter that much. But you cannot do much wrong with Debian for FTN. For daily usage Debian stable is always pretty outdated, which can
    be annoying with some applications. Some people have good experience
    with Debian Sid (unstable) as a rolling Distribution and recommend it
    over Debian testing.

Thanks for this info, it kinda confirms my inclination to stick with Debian.
    I was thinking Deb 10 for it's LTS. I'm not sure if the applications I'd want to run (some no doubt rather legacy given the age of some FTN software out there) would be an issue with Debian stable, but my hunch is using unstable
    may be more pain for this n00b that it's worth.

My roadside view/impression is that some consider it bloated etc.?

If you use some old software, 32-bit compatibility might be important.

Yeah now that's a kicker... brain says use 64 bit to take advantage of all
    the system memory.. but if I run 32 bit then I can run some legacy dos or emulation stuff but never get access to all the RAM. Am I reading this right?

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Black Panther on Thu Sep 10 21:03:22 2020
    On 09 Sep 2020 at 06:27p, Black Panther pondered and said...

I'm running CRBBS on a Debian 10 system here. Everything is running
    pretty smooth. Debian is great for running servers, as they don't try to use any 'cutting edge' software. Both BinkD and Husky (HPT, HTick, etc) are running great on it.

Is your system 64bit Dan?

I'm just wondering about what possible FTN legacy stuff may be of interest to me (that I don't know of yet or that I do but run it on Win7 32 bit at
    present) that I may not be able to use should I opt to install 64 bit.

It seems like a quite read of the inter-webs suggests install 64bit over
    32bit for all the usual reasons and that for Linux it's possible to install other packages on a 64 bit system to get some 32 bit stuff running (hopefully the FTN stuff I am yet to even think of :))

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Avon on Thu Sep 10 19:02:00 2020
    On 09-10-20 19:45, Avon wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Only the hope that what I end up wanting to run on it (and can't yet foresee what all those 'things' will be) will indeed run.

Well, most things will run OK. Sometimes, there may be an apt or yum/dnf repository, which may dictate your choice of distro - e.g. hams running digital voice gateways these days (AllStar, DVSwitch) might find Debian easiest, because a lot of the relevant software is available via an apt repository or two. :)

Yeah so far the other box I built has been smooth but to be fair I only went that way because the vendor of the software I use has a turnkey installer for it built for that flavour of Linux.

That's often a good reason to choose a distro. :)

... A lawyer is the larval form of a politician.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Avon on Thu Sep 10 19:06:00 2020
    On 09-10-20 19:47, Avon wrote to Vk3jed <=-

There are a few, not many but some, I guess that's the least of my
    worries right now.

OK.

Perhaps, I just don't know as I have little experience of how much you
    can load up a system running Linux without issues starting to occur.

I'm running 2 BBSs and other stuff on a Banana Pi with 1G RAM. ;)

Looks like fun ahead. ;)

I'll keep telling myself that :) Look for lots of questions when I get into it. :)

Cool, questions are good. :)

... Miss Stove seems to be going off the boil.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Underminer on Thu Sep 10 19:07:00 2020
    On 09-10-20 02:22, Underminer wrote to Vk3jed <=-

True, but the current package isn't missing anything, especially when you're considering the number of nodes out there running far less up to date mailers :)

OK, how old is it?

... Today is the first day of the rest of the mess.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Underminer@21:4/103 to Avon on Thu Sep 10 03:58:22 2020
    By: Avon to Oli on Thu Sep 10 2020 08:54 pm

If you use some old software, 32-bit compatibility might be
    important.
    Yeah now that's a kicker... brain says use 64 bit to take advantage of all the system memory.. but if I run 32 bit then I can run some legacy dos or emulation stuff but never get access to all the RAM. Am I reading this right?

dosemu and wine will run fine on x64, so emulation isn't the concern. I think he's meaning that if you want to run older 32bit native software multilib can be a bit of a pain. It's still very doable though. Do not handcuff yourself with an x86 install :)
    ===
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From Underminer@21:4/103 to Vk3jed on Thu Sep 10 04:01:02 2020
    By: Vk3jed to Underminer on Thu Sep 10 2020 07:07 pm

OK, how old is it?
    1.1a-99 (Feb 2019)
    ===
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From Oli@21:3/102 to Avon on Thu Sep 10 12:08:10 2020
    Avon wrote (2020-09-10):

I was thinking Deb 10 for it's LTS. I'm not sure if the applications I'd want to run (some no doubt rather legacy given the age of some FTN
    software out there) would be an issue with Debian stable, but my hunch is using unstable may be more pain for this n00b that it's worth.

Debian 10 is fine for FTN software. I'm using Raspbian, which is also based on Deb 10. For Desktop usage I find Debian stable to far behind current application releases.

My roadside view/impression is that some consider it bloated etc.?

and they keep changing stuff from one release to another, fail with their new ideas and then push some other (sometimes reasonable) idea with a stupid implementation that no other distro will ever support.

If you use some old software, 32-bit compatibility might be
    important.

Yeah now that's a kicker... brain says use 64 bit to take advantage of all the system memory.. but if I run 32 bit then I can run some legacy dos or emulation stuff but never get access to all the RAM. Am I reading this right?

I don't know enough to give a good answer. I think it's possible to use more than 4GB even with a 32-bit kernel, but each application is restricted to 4GB. Many distributions have discontinued their 32-bit releases anyway.

It's possible to run 32-bit apps on a 64-bit kernel though. What I don't know is for how long the distros plan to support 32-bit userland and offer 32-bit packages (for Intel/AMD).

---
  • From alterego@21:2/116 to Avon on Thu Sep 10 21:41:14 2020
    By: Avon to All on Thu Sep 10 2020 12:03 pm

Howdy,

Is there a preferred distro to use or avoid for setting up a HUB under
    Linux when looking to run software like BinkD and HPT,
    freq tools etc.

So I'm going to give you the docker answer.

In essence choose the distro that you feel confortable running and administering. As you know I'm a fan of docker, and one of the reasons I am, is

that it provides a stable adminsitration regardless of the distro you run on. EG: I run Hub 3 on a Pi (which is Rasbian), but I first built the container on a both my MAC and CentOS while I "tweaked it". Once I had the receipe correct, my "docker build" that built the image built it for Rasbian.

Inside the container its Debian (buster) - and it doesnt matter whether it runs

on my MAC, CentOS or the Pi - its still Debian 10 inside the container.

The other reason I like docker, is portability - I can take the "data" and the "docker image" and move it to another host, even running a different version of

Linux and it just "works". (I've moved Hub 3 between an Intel CentOS VM and a Rasbian Pi a couple of times, and nobody noticed, nor did I change the way that

I admin it, nor did I need to reconfigure it when I moved it around.)

Now some might think that docker adds another complexity to learn - which IMHO is partially true. You just need to know "docker run", "docker exec" - which you can just throw into a script when you need to do that (which is what I do).

(Yes there is more to docker than just "run" and "exec" - but as a minimum that's all you need to get your head around.)

Anyway, if you consider the docker route, you can easily deploy my container, play with it, destroy it, re-deploy it, spin up a couple of instances, which has everything to run a hub, and you can do several times over in a couple of minutes.

...ëîåï

... I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
    * Origin: I'm playing with ANSI+videotex - wanna play too? (21:2/116)
  • From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Avon on Thu Sep 10 14:01:08 2020

Thanks for this info, it kinda confirms my inclination to stick with Debian. I was thinking Deb 10 for it's LTS. I'm not sure if the applications I'd want to run (some no doubt rather legacy given the age
    of some FTN software out there) would be an issue with Debian stable,
    but my hunch is using unstable may be more pain for this n00b that it's worth.

I think the only issue you may run into with Deb 10, is it does not have
    dosemu in the repository. It's easy enough to add the Deb 9 repo, install dosemu, and then remove it again. That's what I had to do on the CRBBS system here.

Yeah now that's a kicker... brain says use 64 bit to take advantage of
    all the system memory.. but if I run 32 bit then I can run some legacy
    dos or emulation stuff but never get access to all the RAM. Am I reading this right?

For Linux, I don't think it matters for running legacy DOS. I run all my systems 64 bit, and use dosemu or dosbox to run any DOS software. Haven't run into any issues yet. :)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    aka Dan Richter
    Castle Rock BBS

• From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Avon on Thu Sep 10 14:06:44 2020

Is your system 64bit Dan?

Yes, all my Linux systems are 64 bit.

I'm just wondering about what possible FTN legacy stuff may be of
    interest to me (that I don't know of yet or that I do but run it on Win7 32 bit at present) that I may not be able to use should I opt to install 64 bit.

From my experience, the 32 vs 64 bit issues of Windows, isn't applicable in
    the Linux world. Even if you run a 64 bit OS, you can still run 32 bit software, or even DOS software with dosemu or dosbox.

Most of what you will probably be running on Linux, will be compiled on your system, so it will be set for whatever you're running. Programs like BinkD, Husky's programs, etc, are all available via source code.

It seems like a quite read of the inter-webs suggests install 64bit over 32bit for all the usual reasons and that for Linux it's possible to install other packages on a 64 bit system to get some 32 bit stuff
    running (hopefully the FTN stuff I am yet to even think of :))

A lot of the distributions are dropping their 32 bit options, as it is a lot more work for them. I don't think you'll have any issues with a 64 bit system.

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    aka Dan Richter
    Castle Rock BBS

• From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Vk3jed on Thu Sep 10 14:09:46 2020
    On 10 Sep 2020, Vk3jed said the following...

True, but the current package isn't missing anything, especially when you're considering the number of nodes out there running far less up date mailers :)

OK, how old is it?

I just checked on my Debian 10 system, and it looks like they have
    binkd/stable 1.1a-99-1. The last time I looked, which was a few years ago,
    they had 0.98 or something like that.

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    aka Dan Richter
    Castle Rock BBS

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Black Panther on Fri Sep 11 10:21:20 2020
    On 10 Sep 2020 at 02:01p, Black Panther pondered and said...

For Linux, I don't think it matters for running legacy DOS. I run all my systems 64 bit, and use dosemu or dosbox to run any DOS software.
    Haven't run into any issues yet. :)

For my radio station I am using some software that runs under Win7 32 bit
    that acts as a studio to transmitter link. It encodes audio fed in via sound card and sends it via UDP to another copy of the software running on a box situated at the TX site some 5km away from where I live. Both boxes at
    present just have static IP within the home LAN range and look for each other.

One thing I am hoping to do but have next to no experience of is running some (virtual?) instance of Win7 on Linux so I can give the software a place to
    run and access to a sound card. If I can pull this off it let's me retain the software I want/need to use at present but downsize one running PC.

• From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Avon on Thu Sep 10 16:30:42 2020
    On 11 Sep 2020, Avon said the following...

For my radio station I am using some software that runs under Win7 32 bit that acts as a studio to transmitter link. It encodes audio fed in via sound card and sends it via UDP to another copy of the software running
    on a box situated at the TX site some 5km away from where I live. Both boxes at present just have static IP within the home LAN range and look for each other.

You might want to take a look and see if there is a Linux version of the software, or a Linux replacement for it. That might be an easier way of accomplishing this.

One thing I am hoping to do but have next to no experience of is running some (virtual?) instance of Win7 on Linux so I can give the software a place to run and access to a sound card. If I can pull this off it let's me retain the software I want/need to use at present but downsize one running PC.

You could run a Virtual Machine (VM) within Linux, that is loaded with
    Windows. I did, at one point, have a Windows VM that I was using. The only issue that I ran into was the VM would take a portion of the system
    resources, whether the VM was actually doing anything or not.

Another option might be to use WINE (Wine Is Not and Emulator) for Linux.
    I've used it to run some Windows programs successfully here, including Code::Blocks, and some older games. It might be an option.

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    aka Dan Richter
    Castle Rock BBS

• From alterego@21:2/116 to Black Panther on Fri Sep 11 08:42:32 2020
    By: Black Panther to Vk3jed on Thu Sep 10 2020 02:09 pm

Howdy,

I just checked on my Debian 10 system, and it looks like they have binkd/stable 1.1a-99-1. The last time I looked, which was a few years ago, they had 0.98 or something like that.

I have (and update often) a DEB at version 109 that I use on Hub 3 if that is of any use.

I have my own apt repository, and CI updates it when I commit to my gitlab. But

when installing it on Hub 3 I need to specify it explicitly by version (otherwise 99 from debian gets installed). I havent figured out how apt determines deb version order. (and 109 is lower than 99 when doing a string comparison...).

(For RPM you could set an epoch time IIRC, but not sure if something like that exists for Deb).

...ëîåï

... I'm a soldier, not a diplomat. I can only tell the truth.
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Black Panther on Fri Sep 11 10:45:42 2020
    On 10 Sep 2020 at 04:30p, Black Panther pondered and said...

You might want to take a look and see if there is a Linux version of the software, or a Linux replacement for it. That might be an easier way of accomplishing this.

Sadly nope, the software is legacy, been sold to a new vendor, repackaged and sold now in a more modular (read into this more more for the same features offered as one) fashion and still only windows.

You could run a Virtual Machine (VM) within Linux, that is loaded with Windows. I did, at one point, have a Windows VM that I was using. The
    only issue that I ran into was the VM would take a portion of the system resources, whether the VM was actually doing anything or not.

This is where I am wondering about memory,etc. If I were to attempt this down the track. If I have 8 gigs of ram I'm hoping I could allocate 2-3 to this VM without causing the main system too much pain. Anywhoo it's for the future
    will focus on the BBS stuff first.

I also have the CentOS box running the radio playout software that could be a candidate for a windows VM too I guess. Again I'd need to suss CentOS and how to do it.

There's so much stuff I want to do, not enough play time.

Another option might be to use WINE (Wine Is Not and Emulator) for Linux. I've used it to run some Windows programs successfully here, including Code::Blocks, and some older games. It might be an option.

Yep also heard of this but don't know enough to know if it will be the way forward when I do try.

• From alterego@21:2/116 to Avon on Fri Sep 11 08:48:44 2020
    By: Avon to Black Panther on Fri Sep 11 2020 10:21 am

Howdy,

One thing I am hoping to do but have next to no experience of is running
    some (virtual?) instance of Win7 on Linux so I can
    give the software a place to
    run and access to a sound card. If I can pull this off it let's me retain
    the software I want/need to use at present but
    downsize one running PC.

So I'm a fan of ESXi - have been for years - and I install it on any machine I use. I kinda treat it like firmware - so on my servers, I have a small (16GB storage device - an old SSD, or even a USB stick these days), that boots the PC

into ESXi.

From there, you get a web UI to "create" virtual machines and some basic performance monitoring.

Once ESXi is running, I forget its there, unless the VM I'm using stops working

for some reason (and my servers are headless) - so I then head to the web interface to see what's happening on the VMs console...

That might be something you can do - and you can normally pass devices through to a virtual machine (as if they were physical and owned the device) - but I have never actually needed to do that. I know not all devices can be passed through, so if you went down this route, you may need to play and validate that

you can pass the sound card through before you get too far down this path.

...ëîåï

... Facts cannot prevail against faith, or adamant folly.
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to alterego on Fri Sep 11 10:51:48 2020
    On 10 Sep 2020 at 09:41p, alterego pondered and said...

So I'm going to give you the docker answer.

:)

Anyway, if you consider the docker route, you can easily deploy my container, play with it, destroy it, re-deploy it, spin up a couple of instances, which has everything to run a hub, and you can do several
    times over in a couple of minutes.

I have a Pi I could play with this on. I'm understanding of the power of the containers, a little hesitant on the ephemeral nature of them. I kinda want
    to have the experience first of building something 'real' (is that the right word) before I look too much at the turn-key open I can see docker and all
    the benefits of it brings.

Let me spin up the box with Debain first and fumble my way though with lots
    of questions about installing HPT etc. then I'll play with the docker image
    on the Pi. I also want to move Agency to Linux and may work on that first before I tackle fsxNet NET 1 HUB and Fido etc. but the goal is to move so we can start to do some stuff differently.

• From Underminer@21:4/103 to Black Panther on Thu Sep 10 16:56:52 2020
    By: Black Panther to Avon on Thu Sep 10 2020 02:01 pm

I think the only issue you may run into with Deb 10, is it does not have dosemu in the repository. It's easy enough to add the Deb 9 repo, install dosemu, and then remove it again. That's what I had to do on the CRBBS system here.

You don't even have to go to that much trouble. Just download the .deb and install directly. No point in adding a repo for one package.
    ===
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From Mindsurfer@21:3/119 to Avon on Fri Sep 11 01:06:24 2020
    Sadly nope, the software is legacy, been sold to a new vendor,
    repackaged and sold now in a more modular (read into this more more
    for the same features offered as one) fashion and still only
    windows.

do you want to tell the name of that mysterious software? =)

Mindsurfer

--- MagickaBBS v0.15alpha (Linux/armv7l)
    * Origin: FuNToPia telnet://funtopia.ddnss.eu:2023 (21:3/119)
  • From Blue White@21:4/134 to Avon on Thu Sep 10 15:39:32 2020
    Avon wrote to All <=-

I would use a debian-based distro. I prefer debian or, if systemd is not desired, devuan. I am currently using ubuntu on this particular machine because it is an sbc that is only supported by ubuntu. Past experiences
    make me leary of ubuntu but it seems to be working so far.

I have had binkd running with ease on all three distros. I don't use HPT
    so I cannot speak to that one.

... Goodness! That was close! I almost gave a damn.
    --- MultiMail
    * Origin: Possum Lodge South * possumso.fsxnet.nz:7636/SSH:2122 (21:4/134)
  • From Blue White@21:4/134 to Avon on Thu Sep 10 15:44:48 2020
    Avon wrote to Black Panther <=-

The box I used to run the radio station software on was Ubuntu also and like you it seemed to me to be always wanting to do updates and came
    with libre office etc... which I didn't want.

I think there is an ubuntu server version that comes with less bells and whistles like an office suite.

My past experience with ubuntu is that it will start begging you to do a version upgrade and then, when it is done, there is a 50-50 chance that the system will work at all. That happened to me twice.

Debian always seems more stable than ubuntu, to me. I am running Devuan on a server (without an X instance installed -- cli only) and it runs like a
    top. If I was going to do a fresh install of a debian-based distro that
    was not debian, that'd be the one I'd look at first.

... Spelling is a sober man's game
    --- MultiMail
    * Origin: Possum Lodge South * possumso.fsxnet.nz:7636/SSH:2122 (21:4/134)
  • From alterego@21:2/116 to Avon on Fri Sep 11 09:24:44 2020
    By: Avon to alterego on Fri Sep 11 2020 10:51 am

I have a Pi I could play with this on. I'm understanding of the power of
    the containers, a little hesitant on the ephemeral
    nature of them.

Actually its the ephemeral nature of them that brings all the benefits. It forces a discipline by the app developer to put "config", "data" in a structured place (most apps are pretty good), and forces the user to keep that structure. Its because of that structure that makes containers so portable and recoverable.

(Remember the days we used to "image" our hard drives for backups - well the docker container is the image, and the USB stick is the data - and if I dont write "my" data to the USB stick, I'll loose it next time I overrite the image.)

I kinda want
    to have the experience first of building something 'real' (is that the
    right word) before I look too much at the turn-key open
    I can see docker and all the benefits of it brings.

Well there is nothing "unreal" about containers :) But I get it, learn 1 thing at a time ... :)

The only downside will be the lack of a "GUI" - running Xwindows (the linux GUI) is probably a little more complex (nothing that a VNC cannot solve) - but if you want the GUI experience then docker wont be for you.

...ëîåï

... Footprints in the sands of time are never made by sitting down.
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Mindsurfer on Fri Sep 11 11:32:58 2020
    On 11 Sep 2020 at 01:06a, Mindsurfer pondered and said...

Sure it's called sonos...

• From vorlon@21:1/195.1 to alterego on Fri Sep 11 16:34:16 2020
    That might be something you can do - and you can normally pass
    devices through to a virtual machine (as if they were physical and
    owned the device) - but I have never actually needed to do that. I
    know not all devices can be passed through, so if you went down
    this route, you may need to play and validate that you can pass the
    sound card through before you get too far down this path.

Consumer grade hardware very rearly supports hardware passthrough. It's a Motherboard/Bios feature and a CPU feature. Although a lot of newer
    cpu's do support it. It's of no use if the motherboard don't support it.

Avon would need to post the cpu and motherboard model to check.

\/orlon
    VK3HEG

--- MagickaBBS v0.15alpha (Linux/armv6l)
    * Origin: \/orlon Empire: Sector 550 (21:1/195.1)
  • From Mindsurfer@21:3/119 to Avon on Fri Sep 11 10:58:00 2020
    Sure it's called sonos...

ok, i was expecting something like shoutcast or icecast for broadcasting
    audio.

Mindsurfer

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Mindsurfer on Fri Sep 11 21:05:04 2020
    On 11 Sep 2020 at 10:58a, Mindsurfer pondered and said...

ok, i was expecting something like shoutcast or icecast for broadcasting audio.

No it's more like audio processing for FM transmission... but done via
    software vs chips on a hardware mounted rack unit worth big $$$

• From Mindsurfer@21:3/119 to Avon on Fri Sep 11 11:26:22 2020
    No it's more like audio processing for FM transmission... but done
    via software vs chips on a hardware mounted rack unit worth big $$$

oh, i see. may i ask what it does to the audio to prepare the signal for
    FM transmission?

Mindsurfer

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Mindsurfer on Fri Sep 11 21:33:40 2020
    On 11 Sep 2020 at 11:26a, Mindsurfer pondered and said...

No it's more like audio processing for FM transmission... but done via software vs chips on a hardware mounted rack unit worth big $$$

oh, i see. may i ask what it does to the audio to prepare the signal for FM transmission?

I'll move my reply to fsx_gen :)

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Underminer on Fri Sep 11 19:57:00 2020
    On 09-10-20 04:01, Underminer wrote to Vk3jed <=-

By: Vk3jed to Underminer on Thu Sep 10 2020 07:07 pm

OK, how old is it?
    1.1a-99 (Feb 2019)

Old. ;)

There were some significant bugs fixed since then. :)

... Was Jimi Hendrix's modem a Purple Hayes?
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Black Panther on Fri Sep 11 19:58:00 2020
    On 09-10-20 14:09, Black Panther wrote to Vk3jed <=-

On 10 Sep 2020, Vk3jed said the following...

True, but the current package isn't missing anything, especially when you're considering the number of nodes out there running far less up date mailers :)

OK, how old is it?

I just checked on my Debian 10 system, and it looks like they have binkd/stable 1.1a-99-1. The last time I looked, which was a few years
    ago, they had 0.98 or something like that.

There was a significant bug fixed relatively recently. I still have to update mine, because I have tckled that bug, but I did find some workarounds.

... All right, who's been cooking hot dogs in the Warp Drive?
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Static@21:2/140 to Avon on Sun Sep 13 03:10:34 2020
    Yeah now that's a kicker... brain says use 64 bit to take advantage of
    all the system memory.. but if I run 32 bit then I can run some legacy
    dos or emulation stuff but never get access to all the RAM. Am I reading this right?

Pretty much any 32bit Linux distro should be able to access more than 4GB
    using the PAE functionality built into most processors. Some 32bit versions
    of Windows could do this too but that functionality was deliberately axed.

The main reason to run 32bit Linux for BBS use is to retain the ability to use DPMI features in Dosemu. It reaches out to the kernel in a way that's a tad direct rather than fully emulating the memory interface and the functionality it's looking for is no longer present in 64bit kernels since maintaining it comes with too many security concerns. Supposedly this is no longer an issue with Dosemu2 as the DPMI handler was revised.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Subcarrier BBS (21:2/140)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Static on Sun Sep 13 20:09:26 2020
    On 13 Sep 2020 at 03:10a, Static pondered and said...

The main reason to run 32bit Linux for BBS use is to retain the ability
    to use DPMI features in Dosemu. It reaches out to the kernel in a way that's a tad direct rather than fully emulating the memory interface and the functionality it's looking for is no longer present in 64bit kernels since maintaining it comes with too many security concerns. Supposedly this is no longer an issue with Dosemu2 as the DPMI handler was revised.

Thanks for this info.

• From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Sun Sep 13 20:45:24 2020
    On 11 Sep 2020 at 10:51a, Avon pondered and said...

Let me spin up the box with Debain first and fumble my way though with lots of questions about installing HPT etc. then I'll play with the

A wee updates.

OK so I ordered a 1 TB HDD today from a computer store today it should ship
    in the next couple of days and be with me later this week.

I'm then going to work on installing Debian 10 64 bit on the box and will
    start by trying to migrate Agency across to Linux. Then I plan to start
    working on changes to NET 1 hub operations.

• From Zip@21:1/202 to Avon on Sun Sep 13 11:17:44 2020
    Hello Avon!

On 13 Sep 2020, Avon said the following...
    I'm then going to work on installing Debian 10 64 bit on the box and will start by trying to migrate Agency across to Linux. Then I plan to start working on changes to NET 1 hub operations.

This sounds like fun! And the HPT stuff too. =)

Speaking of updates, I'm splitting up my Mystic echomail/netmail processing so that sending isn't necessarily being performed on scan/export. I create a semaphore "send.now" and a separate event looking for that semaphore so that
    I can fine-tune what will happen when there is outgoing echomail/netmail.

I'm planning on letting ifcico run as a last step of the sending event to be able to send echomail/netmail via ifcico protocols / dial-up as a fallback.

It's a step towards easier being able to switch to a conventional mailer, should I wish to in the future... It's always good to have options. :-)

Best regards
    Zip

* Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (21:1/202)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Zip on Sun Sep 13 21:40:08 2020
    On 13 Sep 2020 at 11:17a, Zip pondered and said...

I'm planning on letting ifcico run as a last step of the sending event
    to be able to send echomail/netmail via ifcico protocols / dial-up as a fallback.

It's a step towards easier being able to switch to a conventional mailer, should I wish to in the future... It's always good to have options. :-)

when I have progressed my changes, please remind me of this, as I would like
    to explore this also :)

• From Zip@21:1/202 to Avon on Sun Sep 13 11:54:08 2020
    Hello Avon!

On 13 Sep 2020, Avon said the following...
    to be able to send echomail/netmail via ifcico protocols / dial-up as fallback.

when I have progressed my changes, please remind me of this, as I would like to explore this also :)

Will do! :)

Best regards
    Zip

• From alterego@21:2/116 to Zip on Mon Sep 14 13:51:46 2020
    By: Zip to Avon on Sun Sep 13 2020 11:17 am

Howdy,

I'm planning on letting ifcico run as a last step of the sending event to
    be able to send echomail/netmail via ifcico
    protocols / dial-up as a fallback.

So if you want something to interact with EMSI - you can connect to Hub 3 - I have an EMSI mailer there too.

You can use the address 21:3/999 (LETMEIN) if you want to send messages and validate things are working. Sending a netmail to "ping@21:3/100" should yield you a reply, as well as posting to "all" (subject "test") in FSX_GEN.

EMSI is listening on 60177 and 60179 - one being telnet and the other being TCP

depending on what you side is using...

...ëîåï

... A continuing flow of paper is sufficient to continue the flow of paper.
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From sPINOZa@21:1/116 to Avon on Thu Sep 10 17:39:56 2020

I am running Ubuntu Mate (lightweight and it has a Pi flavour too) and I am really satisfied with it. In the past I used to run Slackware, from 1998-201x, but I got lazy :)

gtx!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/04/21 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: -.sOUNDGARDEn.- (21:1/116)
  • From Zip@21:1/202 to alterego on Mon Sep 14 17:59:38 2020
    Hello alterego!

On 14 Sep 2020, alterego said the following...
    So if you want something to interact with EMSI - you can connect to Hub
    3 - I have an EMSI mailer there too.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind!

By the way, I dug through parts of the source code of ifcico, and it seems
    like it only performs dial-up operations if no network addresses are
    available (at all). But it should happily send things through ITN/IVM (60177) or IFC (60179).

Also, it has no built-in retry logic; one attempt per run only. So it's very simple in that regard. With a suitable wrapper around it, though, it could be
    a poor man's non-binkp fallback for the (rather unlikely?) case of
    sending mail to IFC-/ITN-/IVM-/dial-up-only nodes.

And of course for accepting IFC/ITN/IVM and dial-in calls, the latter e.g.
    by being run by mgetty.

Best regards
    Zip

• From alterego@21:2/116 to Zip on Tue Sep 15 08:09:00 2020
    By: Zip to alterego on Mon Sep 14 2020 05:59 pm

Howdy,

Also, it has no built-in retry logic; one attempt per run only. So it's
    very simple in that regard. With a suitable wrapper
    around it, though, it could be a poor man's non-binkp fallback for the
    (rather unlikely?) case of
    sending mail to IFC-/ITN-/IVM-/dial-up-only nodes.

You may also want to play with qico - it has a "manager daemon" that can poll systems, so does retry failed operations. It only works over TCP though - I couldnt get it working reliably with Telnet. It can also do binkd...

It also has an outbound manager UI - which is semi helpful...

And of course for accepting IFC/ITN/IVM and dial-in calls, the latter e.g. by being run by mgetty.

Yes, mgetty can handle the serial port connects - or inetd can handle the TCP/IP connections.

...ëîåï

... The English have an extraordinary ability for flying into a great calm.
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to sPINOZa on Tue Sep 15 13:41:06 2020
    On 10 Sep 2020 at 05:39p, sPINOZa pondered and said...

I am running Ubuntu Mate (lightweight and it has a Pi flavour too) and I am really satisfied with it. In the past I used to run Slackware, from 1998-201x, but I got lazy :)

Thanks for the heads up :) Good to know.

• From Zip@21:1/202 to alterego on Tue Sep 15 07:23:14 2020
    Hello alterego!

On 15 Sep 2020, alterego said the following...
    You may also want to play with qico - it has a "manager daemon" that can poll systems, so does retry failed operations. It only works over TCP

OK! Thanks for the tip!

Yes, mgetty can handle the serial port connects - or inetd can handle the TCP/IP connections.

Yep. :)

Thanks again!

I'll probably play later today with temporarily disabling the built-in sending of outbound mail in Mystic and letting ifcico do the transfers over IFC, just to test the setup.

Best regards
    Zip

• From Oli@21:3/102 to Avon on Fri Sep 11 10:26:32 2020
    Avon wrote (2020-09-11):

I kinda want
    to have the experience first of building something 'real' (is that the right word) before I look too much at the turn-key open I can see docker and all the benefits of it brings.

You can also use LXC containers. They are more similar to a "real" linux installation.

---
  • From Oli@21:3/102 to alterego on Tue Sep 15 08:21:04 2020
    alterego wrote (2020-09-15):

Systemd has built-in inetd functionality: https://www.linux.com/training-tutorials/end-road-systemds-socket-units/

I'm runnning binkd and qico in inetd mode from systemd. (Of course you can run it as a service in daemon mode too).

---
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Oli on Tue Sep 15 20:01:02 2020
    On 11 Sep 2020 at 10:26a, Oli pondered and said...

You can also use LXC containers. They are more similar to a "real" linux installation.

I'm still learning to spell Linux :)

• From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Oli on Tue Sep 15 09:52:00 2020
    Oli wrote to Avon <=-

You can also use LXC containers. They are more similar to a "real"
    linux installation.

I need to play with LXC - I just set up a Proxmox server at home, and
    they apparently support LXC as their default container format.

... The robots can go off-script?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From Ragnarok@21:2/151 to Avon on Wed May 19 01:58:38 2021
    El 9/9/20 a las 21:03, Avon escribió:

Debian, you can get binkd from ofical repository and compile husky tools
    , crashmail etc as you need.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: Dock Sud BBS - bbs.docksud.com.ar - Argentina (21:2/151)
  • From N1uro@21:4/107 to Ragnarok on Wed May 19 12:21:00 2021
    Ragnarok wrote to Avon <=-

El 9/9/20 a las 21:03, Avon escribi¢:

Debian, you can get binkd from ofical repository and compile husky
    tools , crashmail etc as you need.

+1
    I'm running Devuan (Debian minus SystemD... if I wanted a centralize db I'd
    run Windows!) with SBBS and that has as I'm sure you know BinkIt.

... Geometry teaches us to bisex angels.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    * Origin: Carnage - risen from the dead now on SBBS (21:4/107)
  • From Lightman@21:3/143 to N1uro on Thu May 20 00:06:08 2021
    I'm running Devuan (Debian minus SystemD... if I wanted a centralize db I'd run Windows!) with SBBS and that has as I'm sure you know BinkIt.

I'm glad to see anything minus sysd - it has infected everything (at least everything that seems to have a future in the Linux space - I hope some will disagree here, it wouldn't hurt my feelings).

... we now return you to the thread context

Dave

* Origin: Pedalion BBS (21:3/143)
  • From N1uro@21:4/107 to Lightman on Wed May 19 21:46:00 2021
    Hello Dave;

Lightman wrote to N1uro <=-

I'm glad to see anything minus sysd - it has infected everything (at
    least everything that seems to have a future in the Linux space - I
    hope some will disagree here, it wouldn't hurt my feelings).

My fedora test box is systemd. They boasted how it would make linux load faster... but I strongly disagree! Want a faster boot? Get a faster CPU. For years I developed under Debian but once systemd came out and so did Devuan,
    I made the change. Now I understand there's going to be a BSD type port of Debian. I would like to see what they do!

... we now return you to the thread context

Does echomail ever have a true thread content? <G> *ducks*

... Book Title: Chirpin' and Jumpin': Katie Didd
  • From Gamgee@21:2/138 to Lightman on Wed May 19 21:27:00 2021
    Lightman wrote to N1uro <=-

I'm running Devuan (Debian minus SystemD... if I wanted a centralize db I'd run Windows!) with SBBS and that has as I'm sure you know BinkIt.

I'm glad to see anything minus sysd - it has infected everything
    (at least everything that seems to have a future in the Linux
    space - I hope some will disagree here, it wouldn't hurt my
    feelings).

Slackware Linux is systemd-free, and likely always will be.

... All the easy problems have been solved.
    === MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (21:2/138)
  • From acn@21:3/127.1 to N1uro on Thu May 20 15:05:00 2021
    Am 19.05.21 schrieb N1uro@21:4/107 in FSX_NET:

Hallo N1uro,

Same here, I'm also using Devuan with Synchronet.

For using binkd + hpt + golded, there is an interesting project called "Fidian" which wants to make the usage of these tools more easy: https://www.kuehlbox.wtf/fidian

This adds a Debian repository which adds the missing packages and
    configures everything.

But I did not try it for myself :)

Regards,
    Anna

--- OpenXP 5.0.49
    * Origin: Imzadi Box Point (21:3/127.1)
  • From N1uro@21:4/107 to acn on Thu May 20 17:48:00 2021
    Hello Ann;

acn wrote to N1uro <=-

Seems like a nice combo! I really don't have any complaints.

For using binkd + hpt + golded, there is an interesting project called "Fidian" which wants to make the usage of these tools more easy: https://www.kuehlbox.wtf/fidian

My install of Synchronet has it all built in except for multimail however that's in the repositories.

This adds a Debian repository which adds the missing packages and configures everything.

I found compiling and running make install did what I needed it to do.
    I already had dosemu and a few other toys installed for ham radio usage.

But I did not try it for myself :)

I don't think I'll have a need to try it. I could install it on a test
    machine I suppose.

... I may be schizophrenic but at least I have each other.
  • From acn@21:3/127.1 to N1uro on Fri May 21 09:20:00 2021
    Am 20.05.21 schrieb N1uro@21:4/107 in FSX_NET:

Hallo N1uro,

Seems like a nice combo! I really don't have any complaints.

Dito :)

For using binkd + hpt + golded, there is an interesting project called ac>> "Fidian" which wants to make the usage of these tools more easy:
    https://www.kuehlbox.wtf/fidian

My install of Synchronet has it all built in except for multimail however that's in the repositories.

Same here. I just wanted to mention it as an alternative if someone just wants to use binkd+hpt+golded without a BBS attached to it.

This adds a Debian repository which adds the missing packages and
    configures everything.

I found compiling and running make install did what I needed it to do.
    I already had dosemu and a few other toys installed for ham radio usage.

I also compiled a dosemu version for my Devuan box (although I've created
    a .deb package) myself which works quite well for me :)
    And yes, normally using eg. configure/make/make install is working just
    fine :)

Regards,
    Anna

--- OpenXP 5.0.49
  • From N1uro@21:4/107 to acn on Fri May 21 07:39:00 2021
    acn wrote to N1uro <=-

Same here. I just wanted to mention it as an alternative if someone
    just wants to use binkd+hpt+golded without a BBS attached to it.

That's great to hear! I know someone in my fido area who does just that.
    He may be a good candidate to test it with.

I also compiled a dosemu version for my Devuan box (although I've
    created a .deb package) myself which works quite well for me :)
    And yes, normally using eg. configure/make/make install is working just fine :)

If you set your dosemu.cfg file so that video=none, you can then set
    your dos conventional ram to 756K... the bbs will push your video for you
    so you shouldn't have any issues. I do that on amateur radio packet with
    my instance of MFNOS and even the author of the program is amazed at the conventional memory left after it's loaded. I should have about 50K on a standard DOS system but I actually have over 300K of conventional left.
    You may find some games will run a bit smoother.

... So eager to play, so reluctant to admit it
  • From Lightman@21:3/143 to Gamgee on Sun May 23 18:33:16 2021
    Slackware Linux is systemd-free, and likely always will be.

Ah nice - I haven't kept up with Slackware. The last I installed it
    was after I saw a 4 CD set at Dayton Hamfest in 1993/4... so its been a while... lol

* Origin: Pedalion BBS (21:3/143)
  • From acn@21:3/127.1 to N1uro on Mon May 24 12:56:00 2021
    Am 21.05.21 schrieb N1uro@21:4/107 in FSX_NET:

Hallo N1uro,

Same here. I just wanted to mention it as an alternative if someone
    just wants to use binkd+hpt+golded without a BBS attached to it.

That's great to hear! I know someone in my fido area who does just that.
    He may be a good candidate to test it with.

Another idea, which is way easier (in my opinion), is to use OpenXP as a point software. I guess it is comparable to golded, but has everything
    needed to poll for packets built-in. You just have so search a BBS uplink
    and register as a point. And you also don't have to have binkp running as
    a daemon all the time :)

If you set your dosemu.cfg file so that video=none, you can then set
    your dos conventional ram to 756K... the bbs will push your video for you
    so you shouldn't have any issues. I do that on amateur radio packet with
    my instance of MFNOS and even the author of the program is amazed at the conventional memory left after it's loaded. I should have about 50K on a standard DOS system but I actually have over 300K of conventional left.
    You may find some games will run a bit smoother.

Thank you for this hint!
    Although, at the moment at least, all my doors are running fine :)

Regards,
    Anna

--- OpenXP 5.0.49
  • From N1uro@21:4/107 to acn on Tue May 25 16:52:00 2021
    Hello Anna;

acn wrote to N1uro <=-

Another idea, which is way easier (in my opinion), is to use OpenXP as
    a point software. I guess it is comparable to golded, but has
    everything needed to poll for packets built-in. You just have so search
    a BBS uplink and register as a point. And you also don't have to have binkp running as a daemon all the time :)

In my case, the server is up 24/7 except when there's a power issue that's drained my UPS or I'm running my clonezilla month-end backup.

Thank you for this hint!
    Although, at the moment at least, all my doors are running fine :)

If it's not broke, don't fix it!

... Don't sweat petty things, or pet sweaty things
  • From acn@21:3/127.1 to N1uro on Wed May 26 16:28:00 2021
    Am 25.05.21 schrieb N1uro@21:4/107 in FSX_NET:

Hallo N1uro,

Another idea, which is way easier (in my opinion), is to use OpenXP as ac>> a point software. I guess it is comparable to golded, but has
    everything needed to poll for packets built-in. You just have so search ac>> a BBS uplink and register as a point. And you also don't have to have
    binkp running as a daemon all the time :)

In my case, the server is up 24/7 except when there's a power issue that's drained my UPS or I'm running my clonezilla month-end backup.

;-)
    Same here, I'm using OpenXP via SSH on one of my servers because I prefer
    its ease of use.
    I think it is a little easier to handle compared to binkd/hpt/golded as it
    is menu-driven rather than config-file-driven.

So, if someone just wants to be part of the message networks, OpenXP is a fine solution and easier than binkd/hpt/golded or a complete BBS package.
    And it is more comfortable than QWK/MultiMail IMHO.

Regards,
    Anna

--- OpenXP 5.0.49
  • From N1uro@21:4/107 to acn on Wed May 26 12:30:00 2021
    Hello Anna;

acn wrote to N1uro <=-

;-)
    Same here, I'm using OpenXP via SSH on one of my servers because I
    prefer its ease of use.
    I think it is a little easier to handle compared to binkd/hpt/golded as
    it is menu-driven rather than config-file-driven.

So, if someone just wants to be part of the message networks, OpenXP is
    a fine solution and easier than binkd/hpt/golded or a complete BBS package. And it is more comfortable than QWK/MultiMail IMHO.

I've always prefered QWK packets... we all have our likes and our dislikes.
    I'm glad you found yours. If BlueWave were native to linux I'd be in paradise but MultiMail is doing the job quite well.

... Geometry teaches us to bisex angels.
  • From Elf@21:1/100 to N1uro on Wed May 26 19:42:14 2021
    Quoting N1uro to acn <=-

I've always prefered QWK packets... we all have our likes and our dislikes. I'm glad you found yours. If BlueWave were native to linux
    I'd be in paradise but MultiMail is doing the job quite well.

I have been enjoying BlueWave 2.30 for DOS on my Linux machine via
    DOSBOX-X. I use TDE for DOS as the text editor. I like using DOS better because it displays the ANSI graphics better than my Linux terminal I
    was using for MultiMail. I also like BlueWave's single space bar
    navigation through the whole package and the percentage read of each
    packet that is displayed without opening each packet to see what is
    left. Oh, and I love the TAB key for jumping past the current thread to
    the next.

~Elf

,---------------------------,
    | /---------------------\ |
    | | | |
    | | Long Live | |
    | | DOS!! | |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    | \_____________________/ |
    |___________________________|
    ,---\_____ [] _______/------,
    / /______________\ /|
    /___________________________________ / | ___
    | | | )
    | 486DX66 [-------] | | (
    | o o o [-------] | / _)_
    |__________________________________ |/ / /
    /-------------------------------------/| ( )/
    /-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/ / /-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/ / ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

... Another good night not to sleep in a eucalyptus tree.
    SEEN-BY: 1/100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 SEEN-BY: 1/117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 133 134 SEEN-BY: 1/135 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 SEEN-BY: 1/153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 SEEN-BY: 1/171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 SEEN-BY: 1/189 190 191 192 193 194 195 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 SEEN-BY: 1/207 208 209 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 SEEN-BY: 1/225 226 616 995 2/100 1202 3/100 4/100 106 5/100
  • From Al@21:4/106.2 to Elf on Wed May 26 17:34:12 2021
    Quoting N1uro to acn <=-

I've always prefered QWK packets... we all have our likes and our dislikes. I'm glad you found yours. If BlueWave were native to linux
    I'd be in paradise but MultiMail is doing the job quite well.

DOSBOX-X. I use TDE for DOS as the text editor.

I like using DOS better because it displays the ANSI graphics better than my Linux terminal I was using for MultiMail.

I run multimail like this..

LANG=en_CA mm

Gives me the good old DOS look along with viewing ANSi in the ansi viewer.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (21:4/106.2)
  • From Ogg@21:4/106.21 to acn on Wed May 26 22:02:00 2021
    Hello acn!

** On Wednesday 26.05.21 - 16:28, acn wrote to N1uro:

Same here, I'm using OpenXP via SSH on one of my servers
    because I prefer its ease of use.

Do you have to do anything special for the SSH part? Is it
    just a matter of pointing to a specific port number, and that's
    it?

I think it is a little easier to handle compared to binkd/
    hpt/golded as it is menu-driven rather than config-file-
    driven.

So, if someone just wants to be part of the message
    networks, OpenXP is a fine solution and easier than binkd/
    hpt/golded or a complete BBS package. And it is more
    comfortable than QWK/MultiMail IMHO.

I CONCUR!

--- OpenXP 5.0.50
    * Origin: Ogg's WestCoast Point (21:4/106.21)
  • From Ogg@21:4/106.21 to N1uro on Wed May 26 22:22:00 2021
    Hello N1uro!

** On Wednesday 26.05.21 - 12:30, N1uro wrote to acn:

So, if someone just wants to be part of the message
    networks, OpenXP is a fine solution and easier than
    binkd/hpt/golded or a complete BBS package. And it is
    more comfortable than QWK/MultiMail IMHO.

I've always prefered QWK packets... we all have our likes
    and our dislikes. I'm glad you found yours. If BlueWave
    were native to linux I'd be in paradise but MultiMail is
    doing the job quite well.

Well.. it's like they say: you don't know what you're missing.

;)

Before I discovered OpenXP, I was pretty sure that no one could
    convince me to use anything else other than Winpoint, or
    Apoint, or the nntp method from bbses that offer JamNNTP.

OpenXP is designed for the message connoisseur. ;)

I wanted to be able to search entire collection of messages
    when I needed to, and be able to mark a message that I may like
    to reply to MUCH later. That is simply not possible with QWK.

You can even tweak things like the font that you might prefer -
    within the limits of the OS that is.

Check out some screenshots here: https://openxp.kolico.ca

OpenXP is available for Linux too with either /32 or /64
    versions.

--- OpenXP 5.0.50
  • From Al@21:4/106.2 to Ogg on Wed May 26 19:57:38 2021
    Ogg wrote to N1uro <=-

versions.

The linux release is 64 bit and the windows release is 32 bit.

The source is also available so for can build their own if they choose.

Ttyl :-),
    Al

... I'm sure it's clearly explained in the Zmodem DOC's
    -+- MultiMail/Linux v0.52

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
  • From Ogg@21:4/106.21 to Al on Wed May 26 23:24:00 2021
    Hello Al!

** On Wednesday 26.05.21 - 19:57, Al wrote to Ogg:

versions.

Linux = i586 or x86_64

I believe i586=32bit

And yes.. The Windows version is only 32bit.

The source is also available so for can build their own if they choose.

Indeed it is! :D

--- OpenXP 5.0.50
  • From Al@21:4/106.2 to Ogg on Wed May 26 20:33:54 2021

Linux = i586 or x86_64

I believe i586=32bit

Yep, and yep.

But there is no 32bit linux version. Just an x86_64 binary or rpm package. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe no one uses 32bit linux anymore? I've been 64bit since 2002 or so.

I think it's likely windows will go 64bit at some point. Probably sooner than later but I don't know.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
  • From Elf@21:1/130 to Al on Thu May 27 04:24:16 2021
    Quoting Al to Elf <=-

DOSBOX-X. I use TDE for DOS as the text editor.

I like using DOS better because it displays the ANSI graphics better than my Linux terminal I was using for MultiMail.

LANG=en_CA mm

Gives me the good old DOS look along with viewing ANSi in the ansi
    viewer.

Yeah, that's not working for me. What terminal are you using?

~Elf

| | | |
    | | Long Live | |
    | | DOS!! | |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    / /______________\ /|
    | | | )
    /-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/ / /-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/ / ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

... She can't take much more of this Captain.

--- EzyBlueWave V3.00 01FB001F
    * Origin: Tiny's BBS - telnet://tinysbbs.com:3023 (21:1/130)
  • From Elf@21:1/130 to Ogg on Thu May 27 04:27:08 2021
    Quoting Ogg to N1uro <=-

versions.

I would love to try it but . . . sounds like you need more knowledge of
    how to link it into the messages or something? Connecting to a point or something? I don't know. I have just been watching the messages on the
    boards about it. I tried installing it on Linux but apparently it relies
    on some old libraries that are not available in my ubuntu-based 20.04.2
    LTS installations. Back in my DOS days I used Robomail which was awesome
    and have been wanting something like that in Linux. Sounds like OpenXP
    may be it, but I just have not had to time to "figure it out" for Linux.

~Elf

| | | |
    | | Long Live | |
    | | DOS!! | |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    / /______________\ /|
    | | | )

... Committee: A body that keeps minutes and wastes hours.

• From Oli@21:3/102 to Al on Thu May 27 08:05:06 2021
    Al wrote (2021-05-26):

I think it's likely windows will go 64bit at some point. Probably sooner than later but I don't know.

I don't think Windows will drop 32-bit support anytime soon and there is not much you would gain with a 64-bit OpenXP version anyway.

---
    * Origin: . (21:3/102)
  • From Al@21:4/106.2 to Elf on Thu May 27 00:51:00 2021

LANG=en_CA mm

Gives me the good old DOS look along with viewing ANSi in the ansi
    viewer.

Yeah, that's not working for me. What terminal are you using?

A plain old bash terminal.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
  • From Al@21:4/106.2 to Oli on Thu May 27 00:55:58 2021
    I don't think Windows will drop 32-bit support anytime soon and there is not much you would gain with a 64-bit OpenXP version anyway.

You're probably right.

I suppose if folks keep on using it, and there are a lot BBS ops who use it for 16bit door support.

32bit linux distro's are getting further and further apart these days.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
  • From Oli@21:3/102 to Ogg on Thu May 27 09:05:45 2021
    Ogg wrote (2021-05-26):

Hello acn!

** On Wednesday 26.05.21 - 16:28, acn wrote to N1uro:

it?

You just login to the remote machine (server) via ssh and then start OpenXP from the command line.

---
    * Origin: . (21:3/102)
  • From Ogg@21:4/106.21 to Al on Thu May 27 08:24:00 2021
    Hello Al!

** On Wednesday 26.05.21 - 20:33, Al wrote to Ogg:

Linux = i586 or x86_64

I believe i586=32bit

Yep, and yep.

But there is no 32bit linux version. Just an x86_64 binary
    or rpm package. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe no one uses
    32bit linux anymore? I've been 64bit since 2002 or so.

I see rpm versions here: https://openxp.uk/linux/

That's where I was getting my information.

--- OpenXP 5.0.50
  • From Ogg@21:4/106.21 to Elf on Thu May 27 08:28:00 2021
    Hello Elf!

** On Thursday 27.05.21 - 04:27, Elf wrote to Ogg:

versions.

I would love to try it but . . . sounds like you need more
    knowledge of how to link it into the messages or
    something? Connecting to a point or something?

It's super easy.

...I tried installing it on Linux but apparently it relies
    on some old libraries that are not available in my ubuntu-
    based 20.04.2 LTS installations.

Yes..I've heard that some files get reported missing depending
    on the distro. But I think the info is in the readme/help
    files or something. I personally don't have any experience with
    installing the linux version.

--- OpenXP 5.0.50
  • From acn@21:3/127.1 to N1uro on Thu May 27 13:57:00 2021
    Am 26.05.21 schrieb N1uro@21:4/107 in FSX_NET:

Hallo N1uro,

I've always prefered QWK packets... we all have our likes and our dislikes. I'm glad you found yours.

Same for you! :) It's always good to have options to choose from.

If BlueWave were native to linux I'd be in
    paradise but MultiMail is doing the job quite well.

I think I've tried BW back in the 90s but I don't remember its usage :)

Have a nice day!

Regards,
    Anna

--- OpenXP 5.0.49
  • From acn@21:3/127.1 to Ogg on Thu May 27 14:18:00 2021
    Am 26.05.21 schrieb Ogg@21:4/106.21 in FSX_NET:

Hallo Ogg,

it?

No, I'm running OpenXP on a Linux machine as a normal program.
    I'm using SSH to access the Linux box and then run OpenXP there.
    OpenXP doesn't use special ports or sth. like that.

Regards,
    Anna

--- OpenXP 5.0.49
  • From N1uro@21:4/107 to Elf on Thu May 27 09:45:00 2021
    Hello Elf;

Elf wrote to N1uro <=-

I have been enjoying BlueWave 2.30 for DOS on my Linux machine via DOSBOX-X. I use TDE for DOS as the text editor. I like using DOS
    better because it displays the ANSI graphics better than my Linux
    terminal I was using for MultiMail. I also like BlueWave's single space bar navigation through the whole package and the percentage read of
    each packet that is displayed without opening each packet to see what
    is left. Oh, and I love the TAB key for jumping past the current thread
    to the next.

I considered that however all my researching said that it suffered a Y2K date issue that was never properly patched. I'm not overly concerned about some of the ANSI stuff in mail. I'm used to it pushing ANSI on packet radio <G>

... Writing my name in cursive is my signature move.
  • From N1uro@21:4/107 to Ogg on Thu May 27 09:47:00 2021
    Hello Ogg;

Ogg wrote to N1uro <=-

Well.. it's like they say: you don't know what you're missing.

You also know they say: if it's not broke, don't fix it :)

... Books: "Irish Winter Tales".....by Pete Moss
  • From N1uro@21:4/107 to acn on Thu May 27 09:59:00 2021
    Hello Anna;

acn wrote to N1uro <=-

Same for you! :) It's always good to have options to choose from.

Yes it is! Just like droid vs ios :)

I think I've tried BW back in the 90s but I don't remember its usage :)

It was similar to MultiMail handling QWK packets.

... Those who get too big for their britches will be exposed in the end.
  • From Elf@21:1/130 to N1uro on Fri May 28 22:53:46 2021
    Quoting N1uro to Elf <=-

I considered that however all my researching said that it suffered a
    Y2K date issue that was never properly patched. I'm not overly
    concerned about some of the ANSI stuff in mail. I'm used to it pushing ANSI on packet radio <G>

There is a patch for the Y2K issue. Working fine here. :-)

~Elf

| | | |
    | | Long Live | |
    | | DOS!! | |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    / /______________\ /|
    | | | )

... "Ignore Previous Cookie" - Message in fortune cookie.