• Re: Custom, stock or otherwise

From Avon@21:1/101 to apam on Sat Apr 13 15:02:17 2024
    On 13 Apr 2024 at 11:08a, apam pondered and said...
    No, I was talking about the ones that unzip the archive, get a telnet address and click on the .exe and never look at it again without havi ANYTHING done to it.

Who knows? maybe they thought it might be fun, it's not all that fun,
    but they leave it up to see what happens, then realize it's just not fun and take it down.

Personally I don't care if the BBS is stock or modded up the wazoo, so long as the sysop has an interest in the hobby and is doing something about it to engage with it by spinning up some software I say 'go for it, and welcome to the community'

For those who get annoyed with stock only systems, there's plenty of others other there that have modded systems to visit. So I think there's a range of systems out there catering for all sorts of tastes.

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going' avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From apam@21:1/182.1 to Avon on Sat Apr 13 13:16:15 2024
    By: Avon to apam on Sat Apr 13 2024 03:02 pm

Personally I don't care if the BBS is stock or modded up the wazoo, so long as the sysop has an interest in the hobby and is doing something about it to engage with it by spinning up some software I say 'go for it, and welcome to the community'

I don't get annoyed with stock BBSes, but there is little incentive for me to call them. I can read fsxnet on my own BBS. The main reason I call BBSes apart from testing things, is looking around, seeing what people have done.

I certainly don't think they should be excluded from the hobby or something like that.

Having said that, I think people that unzip a package and set it up, join a few nets and then sit back, only to shut down after a little while, maybe testing the waters, or seeing if it's for them. I don't think they should be excluded either, just suggesting that perhaps that's why they do what they do.

I was talking about games with tiny earlier in fsx_gen, how we buy games and then never get around to playing them - perhaps the interest is there, but the motivation to continue is not.

Who knows. I'm sure there's plenty of reasons people do what they do :) some stick around though :)

Andrew
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: HappyLand - happylnd.synchro.net (21:1/182.1)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to apam on Sat Apr 13 15:31:47 2024
    On 13 Apr 2024 at 01:16p, apam pondered and said...

I don't get annoyed with stock BBSes, but there is little incentive for
    me to call them. I can read fsxnet on my own BBS. The main reason I call BBSes apart from testing things, is looking around, seeing what people have done.

Yep, I'm much the same :)

I certainly don't think they should be excluded from the hobby or something like that.

I feel that also, if people get annoyed about a stock system they can opt not to call it back etc. but bagging the sysop for not doing any mods I think is unkind and slightly myopic... not everyone starts up a BBS for such reasons.

Having said that, I think people that unzip a package and set it up,
    join a few nets and then sit back, only to shut down after a little
    while, maybe testing the waters, or seeing if it's for them. I don't
    think they should be excluded either, just suggesting that perhaps
    that's why they do what they do.

Yep and yep, agreed.

I was talking about games with tiny earlier in fsx_gen, how we buy games and then never get around to playing them - perhaps the interest is
    there, but the motivation to continue is not.

I was interested to read you both sounded like you have all these different games but tend to gravitate to the same one(s) vs playing the new ones you have more recently acquired - did I understand that correctly?

Who knows. I'm sure there's plenty of reasons people do what they do :) some stick around though :)

Don't I know it :) Some even get to become Old Timers just for doing so :)

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going' avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From apam@21:1/182.1 to Avon on Sat Apr 13 14:58:00 2024
    By: Avon to apam on Sat Apr 13 2024 03:31 pm

I was interested to read you both sounded like you have all these different games but tend to gravitate to the same one(s) vs playing the new ones you have more recently acquired - did I understand that correctly?

Pretty much. A lot of the games I have that are unplayed came as part of bundles. I used to buy humble bundles when they first came out as they usually worked with linux windows and mac, sometimes there was a game in it i wanted to play and the others i got for getting the bundle (and a percentage of the money went to charity).

Now steam has discovery queues, and sales etc, and I see games that sound like I would enjoy them and so i wish list them, and if they come on sale for a significant discount i would buy them. Just when I get some time to sit down and play a game I can't motivate myself to learn something new so end up playing something I'm already familiar with.

I guess it's like buying books and they sit on the shelf haha.

Andrew
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: HappyLand - happylnd.synchro.net (21:1/182.1)
  • From Vorlon@21:1/196 to apam on Tue Apr 16 11:08:11 2024
    Hi apam,

On Saturday April 13 2024, Apam said to Avon:

Having said that, I think people that unzip a package and set it up,
    join a few nets and then sit back, only to shut down after a little
    while, maybe testing the waters, or seeing if it's for them. I don't
    think they should be excluded either, just suggesting that perhaps
    that's why they do what they do.

What get's old and annoying is that they make contact (Normally via email),
    get a connection setup.. Then when they shut things down, there is no email
    or a heads up to the net operator that they are shutting or have shut down.

This is a global issue as avon can attest to....

\/orlon
    aka
    Stephen

Rocking FSXnet with an Amiga 4000 and Zeus BBS.

--- Zeus BBS 1.5
    * Origin: -:-- Dragon's Lair --:- dragon.vk3heg.net Prt: 6800 (21:1/196.0)
  • From Vorlon@21:1/196 to Avon on Tue Apr 16 11:13:01 2024
    Hi Avon,

On Saturday April 13 2024, Avon said to apam:

Don't I know it :) Some even get to become Old Timers just for doing so
    :)

Some of those "old timers" need to stop being gatekeepers and get of the grass... I've personally seen this in other hobbies, and have waled away
    from those groups due to that... #-;

\/orlon
    aka
    Stephen

Rocking FSXnet with an Amiga 4000 and Zeus BBS.

--- Zeus BBS 1.5
    * Origin: -:-- Dragon's Lair --:- dragon.vk3heg.net Prt: 6800 (21:1/196.0)