• Route path and software

From Solaris@21:2/1202 to AVON on Wed May 12 14:29:52 2021
    Tying to make sure I understand the network so all hubs toss and poll hub 1
    or are we all polling each other and letting dupes sort it out . Also whos using what
    Hub 2 is windows 64 with mystic mailer what is every one else using .
    thanks

Sysop SolaRis
    Error 1202 and Error 404 BBS !
    FSXnet HuB 2 Tholian AdmiN !

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/25 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Error 1202 BBS ! (21:2/1202)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Solaris on Thu May 13 10:54:36 2021
    Tying to make sure I understand the network so all hubs toss and poll
    hub 1 or are we all polling each other and letting dupes sort it out . Also whos using what
    Hub 2 is windows 64 with mystic mailer what is every one else using . thanks

NET 1,3,4 are using a combo of BinkD, HPT and Htick for mailer, tosser and files respectively.

NET 2 (you :) is currently on Mystic but my desire would be to shift off this and run the same software as 1,3, and 4.

NET 5 is running Wildcat server stuff in conjunction with BinkD mailer. I
    don't propose any changes to that.

In most cases the NETs are meshed with HUBs sending to all and dupes being
    part of the overhead and caught at the HUB end.

Once we have had a tidy up of nodes I'd like to work with you to migrate to
    the different software (if you are happy to do so)

Deon has created a Docker instance being used in NET 4 and 3 that I think we should be able to install and run under Windows to work on and set up for NET
    2 then cut over once ready. In doing this we could retain the box you run as
    a Windows machine but essentially run on top of it a Linux setup for the NET
    2 HUB. That's my understanding (correct me if I am wrong Deon :)) We would
    need to check the Windows box has specs that work for Docker. I expect it would.

For NET 1 I have manually installed stuff on a Linux box and am learning by doing vs using Deon's Docker image. I went that way because I wanted to
    endure the pain and joy of it all hahahah..

Flick me a netmail and we can chat further over the specifics, next steps etc. that work for you and the NET 2 setup.

Hope this reply helps.

Best, Paul

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Oli@21:3/102 to Avon on Thu May 13 14:59:33 2021
    Avon wrote (2021-05-13):

NET 2 (you :) is currently on Mystic but my desire would be to shift off this and run the same software as 1,3, and 4.

Why?

---
    * Origin: . (21:3/102)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Avon on Thu May 13 06:48:00 2021
    Avon wrote to Solaris <=-

Deon has created a Docker instance being used in NET 4 and 3 that I
    think we should be able to install and run under Windows to work on and set up for NET 2 then cut over once ready.

I would love to see that, I'm playing with Docker now and separating out my BBS and hub/mailer duties in a streamlined manner would be great.

I'd love to have my hub running in a container on my VPS and have my BBS acting as a node on my home network.

... From nothing to more than nothing
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Oli on Fri May 14 12:12:43 2021
    On 13 May 2021 at 02:59p, Oli pondered and said...

NET 2 (you :) is currently on Mystic but my desire would be to shift o this and run the same software as 1,3, and 4.

Why?

Standardization. If things are mostly the same between HUBs in terms of how they are set up and run.... It makes for easier debugging, changes to config and reports generated.

• From deon@21:2/116 to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri May 14 11:19:10 2021
    Re: Re: Route path and software
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Avon on Thu May 13 2021 06:48 am

Deon has created a Docker instance being used in NET 4 and 3 that I
    think we should be able to install and run under Windows to work on and set up for NET 2 then cut over once ready.

I would love to see that, I'm playing with Docker now and separating out my BBS and hub/mailer duties in a streamlined manner would be great.
    I'd love to have my hub running in a container on my VPS and have my BBS acting as a node on my home network.

That's my setup :) (except my hub and bbs are at home - but I may move the hub out to a VPS I have).

Your welcome to play with my container.

Inside is binkd/hpt/golded. I even have crashmail and jamnntpd in it if you want to play with that (although I dont use it, so the image may need to be tweaked for it).

Running the image is as simple as:

docker run -p (ports to map) -v (persistent storage from the host) <image>.

If you are adventurous, you could also run it in a swarm. (I had it in a swarm when it was on the Pi).

My startup is this:

#!/bin/sh

MACHINE=$(uname -m)
    SRC=/srv/docker/fidohub IMAGE=registry.leenooks.net/bbs/fidohub:latest-${MACHINE}

# --rm \
    # --ip6=2001:8003:4c06:5742:f1d0:a:1:1 \
    # MAC Address used because ip6= is not working
    docker run \
    -dt \
    --name=fidohub \
    --restart unless-stopped \
    --hostname=fidohub.leenooks.net \
    --cap-add=NET_ADMIN \
    --sysctl net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=0 \
    --mac-address=00:0a:00:01:00:01 \
    -e ENABLE_ZT=1 \
    -p 13119:119 \
    -p 13553:24553 \
    -p 13554:24554 \
    -p 13177:60177 \
    -p 13179:60179 \
    -v ${SRC}/binkd:/etc/binkd \
    -v ${SRC}/cron/cron.daily:/etc/cron.daily \
    -v ${SRC}/ifmail:/etc/ifmail \
    -v ${SRC}/ftn:/etc/ftn \
    -v ${SRC}/fido:/fido \
    -v ${SRC}/jamnntpd:/etc/jamnntpd \
    -v ${SRC}/qico:/etc/qico \
    -v ${SRC}/tools:/usr/local/tools \
    -v ${SRC}/log:/var/log/fido \
    -v ${SRC}/zerotier:/var/lib/zerotier-one \
    ${IMAGE} $@

And all my config for the container, is on my host at /srv/docker/fidohub.

...лоеп

... When one connects a 3-phase line, the phase sequence will be wrong.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: I'm playing with ANSI+videotex - wanna play too? (21:2/116)
  • From Oli@21:3/102 to Avon on Fri May 14 08:38:48 2021
    Avon wrote (2021-05-14):

On 13 May 2021 at 02:59p, Oli pondered and said...

NET 2 (you :) is currently on Mystic but my desire would be to
    shift o this and run the same software as 1,3, and 4.

Why?

Standardization. If things are mostly the same between HUBs in terms of
    how they are set up and run.... It makes for easier debugging, changes to config and reports generated.

I thought standardization is for enabling different FTN programs talk to each other. By using diverse software, standardization problems will show up more likely.

Btw, hpt still has a standardization problem with the JAM ;) (AFAIK) and doesn't have stable releases.

I know, I just picked two aspects and that there others things to consider (like open source, fixability, maintenance, ...).

---
  • From Al@21:4/106.1 to Oli on Fri May 14 00:51:19 2021
    Re: HUB Query
    By: Oli to Avon on Fri May 14 2021 08:38 am

Btw, hpt still has a standardization problem with the JAM ;) (AFAIK) and doesn't have stable releases.

It seems to have a problem with squish too.. recently it seems to always use even seconds. Maybe that solves the problem, I don't know.

Ttyl :-),
    Al

... Reality is for those who can't handle computers.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (21:4/106.1)
  • From Oli@21:3/102 to Al on Fri May 14 10:21:22 2021
    Al wrote (2021-05-14):

By: Oli to Avon on Fri May 14 2021 08:38 am

Btw, hpt still has a standardization problem with the JAM ;)
    (AFAIK) and doesn't have stable releases.

It seems to have a problem with squish too.. recently it seems to always use even seconds. Maybe that solves the problem, I don't know.

Oh noooo! (exploding like a Lemming).

Good to know, I just assumed it was fixed as there was a commit for the bug. Are you're sure that it is not your uplink(s) that modifies the time? (doesn't look like it as the mails from every network look fine as far as I can tell).

I will test it again, when I find the time over the weekend.

---
  • From Al@21:4/106.1 to Oli on Fri May 14 02:55:47 2021
    By: Oli to Al on Fri May 14 2021 10:21 am

Oh noooo! (exploding like a Lemming).

Nothing here is hurting. My Squish bases all seem to be fine.

Good to know, I just assumed it was fixed as there was a commit for the bug. Are you're sure that it is not your uplink(s) that modifies the time? (doesn't look like it as the mails from every network look fine as far as I can tell).

It may be fixed. I don't understand that 2 second issue.

I just took a long walk through the cooking area and all the messages here report even seconds for the message date as well as the time written here.

I don't know if that is true of packets that leave here for other nodes.

I'll let some stuff collect here for a bit and inspect the time on the incoming packets vs what my msgbase says.

Al

... 1st rule of intelligent tinkering - save all the parts
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Al@21:4/106.1 to Oli on Fri May 14 03:38:55 2021
    By: Al to Oli on Fri May 14 2021 02:55 am

I'll let some stuff collect here for a bit and inspect the time on the incoming packets vs what my msgbase says.

I've just had a quick look at some incoming packets, at the time and some of them did have odd seconds, but the message stored in the message base has even seconds.

I only had a quick look and I did see some messages that had odd seconds but most of them were even.

There is some stuff sitting in my outbound waiting for pick up so I had a quick look at the time on them and some did also have odd numbers for the seconds. Most were even though, just as I see in my inbound.

So it seems.. after having a look at those inbound/outbound packets that the seconds are passed on as is, and that messages stored in my squish bases are stored with even seconds.

I don't know if that is an issue. I find it odd but I don't know if that is an issue.

Al

... Put on your seatbelt - I'm gonna try something new!
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Oli@21:3/102 to Al on Fri May 14 13:07:17 2021
    Al wrote (2021-05-14):

So it seems.. after having a look at those inbound/outbound packets that the seconds are passed on as is, and that messages stored in my squish bases are stored with even seconds

My bad. DOS timedate has only a 2-second resolution. Which mean it's always stored with even seconds. Additionally the original time from the message is stored as a string. On export / rescan this __ftscdate field should be used (if there is one). This is what the bug fix implemented. The message editors usually display the DOS timedate, which means even seconds.

I don't know if that is an issue. I find it odd but I don't know if that
    is an issue.

I think it's perfectly fine and to be expected (for a Squish message base). I find the 2-second DOS time issue odd too though.

---
  • From Al@21:4/106.1 to Oli on Fri May 14 17:32:39 2021
    By: Oli to Al on Fri May 14 2021 01:07 pm

I think it's perfectly fine and to be expected (for a Squish message base). I find the 2-second DOS time issue odd too though.

Yes, I think it's just the way golded displays the time with squish bases.

Al

... Should I or shouldn't I?... Too late, I did!
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Al@21:4/106.1 to Oli on Fri May 14 20:25:45 2021
    By: Oli to Al on Fri May 14 2021 01:07 pm

Just as an experiment I switched a few of my fsxNet areas to jam and did a rescan on those areas. All of the dates that golded displayed all had even seconds.

I think what I am seeing here is because of the way golded displays the date.

I don't see that on Synchronet. The dates have a mix of odd and even seconds in the time.

Al

... People say I'm apathetic, but I don't care.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Oli@21:3/102 to Al on Sat May 15 07:11:15 2021
    Al wrote (2021-05-14):

I think it's perfectly fine and to be expected (for a Squish message
    base). I find the 2-second DOS time issue odd too though.

Just as an experiment I switched a few of my fsxNet areas to jam and did
    a rescan on those areas. All of the dates that golded displayed all had even seconds.

Where did you get the rescan from? If it's from your Squish base, you should get 1-second accuracy. If you rescanned from Hub 1, 3 or 4 (or any other node that uses hpt with JAM) you would get 2-second resolution, because of a bug / design flaw in husky's smapi. hpt mangles the time when storing messages in a JAM base and they are lost forever. Which means the first time you receive the mail from your hub it has the correct time. If you do a rescan, all odd seconds have been changed to even seconds.

I think what I am seeing here is because of the way golded displays the date.

Golded does display time accurately down to the second (with JAM). The odd seconds (as in least significant bit) have been stripped somewhere else.

---
  • From Al@21:4/106.1 to Oli on Sat May 15 01:20:32 2021
    By: Oli to Al on Sat May 15 2021 07:11 am

Where did you get the rescan from? If it's from your Squish base, you should get 1-second accuracy. If you rescanned from Hub 1, 3 or 4 (or any other node that uses hpt with JAM) you would get 2-second resolution, because of a bug / design flaw in husky's smapi. hpt mangles the time when storing messages in a JAM base and they are lost forever. Which means the first time you receive the mail from your hub it has the correct time. If you do a rescan, all odd seconds have been changed to even seconds.

I rescanned from hub 1 and 4, so maybe that is why.

I'll try that again from a link running something else in some out of the way areas.

Golded does display time accurately down to the second (with JAM). The odd seconds (as in least significant bit) have been stripped somewhere else.

That's too bad.. :(

Al

... Scotty, beam me to the Bahamas.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Solaris@21:2/1202 to Avon on Wed May 12 22:26:22 2021
    set up for NET 2 then cut over once ready. In doing this we could retain the box you run as a Windows machine but essentially run on top of it a Linux setup for the NET 2 HUB. That's my understanding (correct me if I

I can provide a stand alone box running any OS parallel with my windows box
    if thats makes things easier . 32 or 64 bit . let me know and ill prep a box
    as soon as next week . let me know what OS you want .
    i really dont like VM's but i can do what ever is best .

Sysop SolaRis
    Error 1202 and Error 404 BBS !
    FSXnet HuB 2 Tholian AdmiN !

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/25 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Error 1202 BBS ! (21:2/1202)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Solaris on Tue May 18 16:24:28 2021
    On 12 May 2021 at 10:26p, Solaris pondered and said...

I can provide a stand alone box running any OS parallel with my windows box if thats makes things easier . 32 or 64 bit . let me know and ill
    prep a box as soon as next week . let me know what OS you want .
    i really dont like VM's but i can do what ever is best .

will contact you. In fact I think we have already sussed this one via KB.