• Hub 3 - IPv4 addressed changed :(

From deon@21:2/116 to All on Thu Apr 29 11:29:10 2021
    Howdy,

It looks like my IPv4 address changed, so if anybody was having trouble connecting with Hub 3 that'll probably be the main reason.

If you use (or can use) IPv6, you should be OK - my IPv6 address is static.

I need to rethink my DNS for IPv4/IPv6 - I was hoping on having 1 base record that covered both IPv4/IPv6 so that whatever IP you had it would work. But my DYNDNS is linked to another record (that has a different IPv6 address) which is why the BBS doesnt see the IPv4 changes.

I have an idea how to fix it - it would be simpler if IPv4 would go away :)

Alterantively, for folks who cant use IPv6, you can try out ZeroTier - I also have it on the Hub. ZeroTier is a "VPN" of sorts - it creates a virtual ethernet network (I dont have routing configured on it, so you cant route through me, nor me through you), but once you are on the ZeroTier network, you'll get a static IPv4 (or v6) address - regardless of whether your internet is static or dynamic. My ZeroTier ethernet address is static, so as my v4 address changes (or I move stuff around - which I have done recently), you'll still be able to get to the Hub. (Its a little more reliable than managing dyndns addresses - IMHO).

Yell out if you are interested and I'll talk you through setting it up.

...ëîåï

... Everybody is somebody else's weirdo.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: I'm playing with ANSI+videotex - wanna play too? (21:2/116)
  • From Oli@21:3/102 to deon on Thu Apr 29 14:19:02 2021
    deon wrote (2021-04-29):

Howdy,

It looks like my IPv4 address changed, so if anybody was having trouble connecting with Hub 3 that'll probably be the main reason.

works fine now.

I have an idea how to fix it - it would be simpler if IPv4 would go away
    :)

yes, it's about time

Alterantively, for folks who cant use IPv6, you can try out ZeroTier

This still doesn't solve the problem for crashmail from anybody (using IPV4).

What about an Onion Service address? It's also static ;)

I also use a websocket proxy behind cloudflare to connect from IPv4 to my IPv6-only server. Like:

binkp|websocat -> wss://my-domain/ (cloudflare) -> websocat|binkp

and in binkd.cfg:
    node 8:7/6.5@somenet -pipe "websocat -b wss://my-domain/"

Even easier — you can just use a tor proxy:

ncat --proxy 127.0.0.1:9050 --proxy-type socks5 2401:d002:2d02:a03:f1d0:a:1:1 24554

---
    * Origin: . (21:3/102)
  • From deon@21:2/116 to Oli on Fri Apr 30 10:37:52 2021
    Re: Hub 3 - IPv4 addressed changed :(
    By: Oli to deon on Thu Apr 29 2021 02:19 pm

Howdy,

Alterantively, for folks who cant use IPv6, you can try out ZeroTier
    This still doesn't solve the problem for crashmail from anybody (using IPV4).

It wont? With ZeroTier I can give you IPv4 or IPv6 address, and it behaves like another (VLAN) ethernet interface (with on systems on the same ZeroTier ethernet LAN can see each other over normal IP).

Yeah, probably gave me tips on how to set that up and I would have lost them.

Unfortuantely I havent played too much with TOR and I dont really use it enough for me to remember how to maintain it.

Is there a docker container I can run that provies incoming onion access, and I can forward that incoming IP connection to my fidohub container?

I also use a websocket proxy behind cloudflare to connect from IPv4 to my IPv6-only server. Like:
    binkp|websocat -> wss://my-domain/ (cloudflare) -> websocat|binkp

I could run this I guess (if I understand it correctly) - but I'm not sure anybody would use it?

Even easier Ä you can just use a tor proxy:
    ncat --proxy 127.0.0.1:9050 --proxy-type socks5 2401:d002:2d02:a03:f1d0:a:1:1 24554

Ahh, folks could do this without me implementing anything right? (If they run the TOR proxy). I imagine is this is more likely than the websocat method...?

...ëîåï

... Count Dracula - your Bloody Mary is ready...
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: I'm playing with ANSI+videotex - wanna play too? (21:2/116)
  • From Oli@21:3/102 to deon on Fri Apr 30 07:42:13 2021
    deon wrote (2021-04-30):

Alterantively, for folks who cant use IPv6, you can try out
    ZeroTier
    This still doesn't solve the problem for crashmail from anybody
    (using IPV4).

It wont? With ZeroTier I can give you IPv4 or IPv6 address, and it
    behaves like another (VLAN) ethernet interface (with on systems on the
    same ZeroTier ethernet LAN can see each other over normal IP).

I mean the advantage of having a DNS record that point to the correct public IPv4 address over a VPN IPv4 is that everyone is able to send you crashmail without installing Zeronet.

Is there a docker container I can run that provies incoming onion access, and I can forward that incoming IP connection to my fidohub container?

I have not much experience with docker. There are a couple of containers, but I haven't tested any of them and cannot give a recommendation. I started to play with podman on my IPv6-only VPS, but then was discouraged when it turned out that most of the docker hubs / container repos where IPv4-only (and I already had working LXC containers). I've solved the IPv4 connectivity problem later, so maybe I will try again (running Tor in a docker container) and report back.

I also use a websocket proxy behind cloudflare to connect from IPv4
    to my IPv6-only server. Like: binkp|websocat -> wss://my-domain/
    (cloudflare) -> websocat|binkp

I could run this I guess (if I understand it correctly) - but I'm not
    sure anybody would use it?

Most likely nobody would use it :).

Even easier - you can just use a tor proxy:
    ncat --proxy 127.0.0.1:9050 --proxy-type socks5
    2401:d002:2d02:a03:f1d0:a:1:1 24554

Ahh, folks could do this without me implementing anything right? (If they run the TOR proxy). I imagine is this is more likely than the websocat method...?

Yes, nothing needed on your side. The only problem with all these methods is that they rely on support for a socks5 proxy or execution of an external program instead of making a network connection. Works with binkd and qico, but not sure how easy or complicated it is to make this work with i.e. Mystic. But then Zeronet might be the easier option.

---
    * Origin: . (21:3/102)