• Printing enhanced chars in python on rpi

From seeLive@21:2/128 to All on Mon Jan 3 22:51:53 2022
    Have any of you guys come across the problem of python not printing the correct extended characters on a raspberry pi? The example would be Threatsentry.mpy... it displays the world map find because it's an ansi file, but when it tries to print the box around the map the threat level data it's all garbage...

This doesn't happen in MPL, they all print fine... it's just in python 2 or 3... I was thinking it might have to do with the encoding on the rpi itself, but can't find anything about it the regular Internet... Thanks!

-seeLive

(,``,"> rusty sez... Re-livin' the dream...

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: seeLive's rustyHedgehog - therhh.dynv6.net:2300 (21:2/128)
  • From opicron@21:3/126 to seeLive on Wed Jan 5 08:15:11 2022
    Have any of you guys come across the problem of python not printing the co extended characters on a raspberry pi? The example would be Threatsentry.m it displays the world map find because it's an ansi file, but when it trie rint the box around the map the threat level data it's all garbage...

I experienced the same with ichat, when trying to decode utf to ascii. Long story short you have to do the conversions yourself. It is impossible to
    expect Python to change the various UTF codes to the correct ascii tables.

Here is my conversion list, and my safeguard to replace other unknown characters:

https://github.com/opicron/utf2ascii/blob/main/utf2ascii.py

oP!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: TheForze - bbs.opicron.eu:23 (21:3/126)
  • From seeLive@21:2/128 to opicron on Wed Jan 5 10:07:06 2022
    Hey opicron,

On 05 Jan 2022, opicron said the following...

Here is my conversion list, and my safeguard to replace other unknown characters:

Excellent! Thanks, very much for sharing... I'll give that a whack and see what I can do... still, it does seem a bit odd that MPL doesn't suffer the same fate as python on the same box... but, at least for now I have a solid work-around... thanks, again.

-seeLive

(,``,"> rusty sez... Re-livin' the dream...

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: seeLive's rustyHedgehog - therhh.dynv6.net:2300 (21:2/128)