• QWKPOLL MYSTIC A47 OSX

From Maurice Den Braber@21:1/183 to All on Wed Aug 4 06:38:25 2021
    Hi All,

Absolute and total n00b here, so forgive any assumptions, mishaps, and / or stupidness from my side. (Making fun of them is however highly appreciated as i could use a laugh or two...)

So anyway,

I'm trying to run Mystic on OSX on an old Imac.
    I've installed it, got it up and running and even have dial-up working through some virtual-machine trickery.

Yesterday i was experimenting with DOVE and Qwkpoll. I have generated all the areas, created the necessary account on vert.synchro.net, but every time i run ./qwkpoll all:

Exchanging Mail for Dovenet
    Exported @VERT.rep -> 0 msgs
    Connecting via FTP to vert.synchro.net
    Connected
    Local IP is x.x.x.x
    Authentication failed

So i figured i must have made a typo in the account settings, but that does not seem to be the case. Also, when trying to connect over FTP manually, things just work fine.

So i spun-up wireshark and to my surprise, QWKPOLL seems to send out the username before the login banner of vert.synchro.net is even complete. And it never gets to sending a password.

Is this a known bug or am i missing something?

Any help is highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Maurice.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (21:1/183)
  • From Zip@21:1/202 to Maurice Den Braber on Wed Aug 4 15:57:43 2021
    Hello Maurice!

On 04 Aug 2021, Maurice Den Braber said the following...

I'm using dove.synchro.net (which resolves to 2 different IPs/machines, so you will probably hit different machines at different times). You might want to check if that makes any difference.

So i spun-up wireshark and to my surprise, QWKPOLL seems to send out the username before the login banner of vert.synchro.net is even complete.
    And it never gets to sending a password.

That's really strange!

I know that one of the machines (can't remember which one) is faster at checking for new mail / creating the packages, but that's the only difference I know of...

Best regards
    Zip

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/07/31 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (21:1/202)
  • From Maurice Den Braber@21:1/183 to Zip on Wed Aug 4 12:46:38 2021
    Re: Re: QWKPOLL MYSTIC A47 OSX
    By: Zip to Maurice Den Braber on Wed Aug 04 2021 03:57 pm

I'm using dove.synchro.net (which resolves to 2 different IPs/machines, so you will probably hit different machines at different times). You might want to check if that makes any difference.

So i have been tinkering around a bit.
    What i did is that i created a Virtual Machine on OSX, running Windows 10.
    In that virtual machine i install MysticBBS, same version but for windows instead of OSX of course.

Then i mounted my mystic folder from OSX to a share in that windows virtual machine and ran the QWKPOLL.EXE without any issues. It logged in and downloaded the .qwk file as expected.

So there is something wrong with the QWKPOLL version for OSX.
    Is there anyway to file a bug report or something? I know mystic used to be open source, and i would love to help fix the issue somehow.

Bye!

Maurice
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (21:1/183)
  • From Zip@21:1/202 to Maurice Den Braber on Wed Aug 4 21:55:41 2021
    Hello Maurice!

So there is something wrong with the QWKPOLL version for OSX.
    Is there anyway to file a bug report or something? I know mystic used to be open source, and i would love to help fix the issue somehow.

I think the best way would be to write an echomail message to "g00r00" in the FidoNet MYSTIC echomail area (I don't think g00r00 is on fsxNet any longer).

Mystic BBS is not open source nowadays, so let's hope then that he can reproduce the error (depends on which environments he has available, I guess -- supporting multiple platforms can be a pain sometimes...).

Best regards
    Zip

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/07/31 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (21:1/202)