• New Feature/Idea

From nristen@21:1/161 to All on Fri Jan 4 13:34:10 2019
    I was thinking that a cool idea for Mystic would be a user bio page. Originally, I thought that this would be a cool idea for the Sysop and so I created a page for myself on my own BBS. After this, I thought that it would be cool if this was open to all users. After having this thought, I
    wondered whether this should be a page or some type of forum that could be shared among subscribed BBSs. I even thought that one idea was that people could supply a url to a webpage that could be displayed in the BBS using lynx or something similar.

Has anyone else had any similar ideas? Before I barge ahead to reinvent the wheel, I wanted to see if anyone else had some other ideas or maybe even had started something similar.

Nristen
    aka karl harris
    keybase.io/nristen

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: The Search BBS (21:1/161)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to nristen on Sat Jan 5 10:23:52 2019
    On 04 Jan 2019, nristen pondered and said...

I was thinking that a cool idea for Mystic would be a user bio page. Originally, I thought that this would be a cool idea for the Sysop and
    so I created a page for myself on my own BBS. After this, I thought
    that it would be cool if this was open to all users. After having this thought, I wondered whether this should be a page or some type of forum that could be shared among subscribed BBSs. I even thought that one
    idea was that people could supply a url to a webpage that could be displayed in the BBS using lynx or something similar.

I like the idea, I think that to a degree you could leverage the optional fields in Mystic or other similar records that could be added to a user
    account by the user. The trick I guess would be the limits of how many characters etc. against each record.

I like the idea of a mod that leverages the inter-bbs FSX_DAT echo much like the callers mod that Xqtr created does :)

In this case each user could opt to add some bio info against themselves and the mod would

1. send that data to all connected BBS via FSX_DAT
    2. display a list of names you could select to display their info
    3. perhaps show when user was last active (so would need to know when user
    X logged in) and on which BBS?

I also thought a real time via FSX_DAT alert mod that pushed info to the
    logged in user of a connected BBS would be good.

That real time info could show user X logged in to BBS y at z time/date and also push an alert to do the same when they signed out.

It might sound a bit big brother but it also could show to
    interested/connected systems which folks were about and where :)

Nice idea sir, you got my brain thinking now also :)

Best, Paul

ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄ Eùavon@bbs.nz ÄÄÄÄÄÄ Wùbbs.nz ÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄ Kùkeybase.io/avon ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A42 2018/12/30 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From garycrunk@21:4/126 to nristen on Fri Jan 4 14:41:46 2019
    I was thinking that a cool idea for Mystic would be a user bio page.

Interesting idea. But I think my Bio page would be pretty Empty/Lame/Boring...

---=[ Gary Crunk ]=---
    Another F-ing BBS : anotherbbs.ddns.net Port 23
    Quazar BBS Door Game Server: quazarbbs.ddns.net Port 2323

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Another F-ing BBS (21:4/126)
  • From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to nristen on Fri Jan 4 15:57:24 2019
    nristen around Friday, January 4th...

There are some *similar* ideas being used on the Russian side of the world via FTN for avatars and such. For example: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/fido7.ru.ftn.develop/Y6weaw1yqTk/NjebUAFG CAAJ

If a kludge could be developed that contained "bio" information, it may be something... The same information could be manually added to mods/etc. I suppose.

--- ENiGMA 1/2 v0.0.9-alpha (linux; x64; 10.13.0)
    * Origin: Xibalba -+- xibalba.l33t.codes:44510 (21:1/121)
  • From apam@21:1/125 to garycrunk on Sat Jan 5 09:01:30 2019
    I was thinking that a cool idea for Mystic would be a user bio pa

I don't know, most users on my bbses just fill in crap for the very few questions I ask. They don't even go to the effort of making it sound real sometimes.

So, Gary, your bio page could be anything you want it to be. Gary Crunk
    by day, Super Gary by night? Gary Crunk the caped crusader jumping from
    rooftop to rooftop thwarting criminals at every turn.

But then, we'd all know your secret identity, so perhaps it would be
    better to leave it empty/lame/boring, so we don't know the truth. Super
    Gary, the hero America deserves.

Andrew

--- MagickaBBS v0.12alpha (Linux/x86_64)
    * Origin: The Fat Sandwich - sandwich.hopto.org:2023 (21:1/125)
  • From Skuz@21:1/105 to nristen on Fri Jan 4 17:54:40 2019
    Has anyone else had any similar ideas? Before I barge ahead to reinvent the wheel, I wanted to see if anyone else had some other ideas or maybe even had started something similar.

There is a User Profile mystic MPL script that looks alot like a user BiO you can view/add to it on my board if interested on the utils menu.

* Origin: flupH | fluph.araknet.xyz (21:1/105)
  • From garycrunk@21:4/126 to apam on Fri Jan 4 23:10:38 2019
    So, Gary, your bio page could be anything you want it to be. Gary Crunk
    by day, Super Gary by night? Gary Crunk the caped crusader jumping from rooftop to rooftop thwarting criminals at every turn.
    But then, we'd all know your secret identity, so perhaps it would be better to leave it empty/lame/boring, so we don't know the truth. Super Gary, the hero America deserves.

ROFLMAO....
    I wish I had that sort of Energy... Not to mention the good bones... My only super-hero name would be Rice-Crispy man from the sound of all of my joints snapping, cracking and popping... Just sayin...

---=[ Gary Crunk ]=---
    Another F-ing BBS : anotherbbs.ddns.net Port 23
    Quazar BBS Door Game Server: quazarbbs.ddns.net Port 2323

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Another F-ing BBS (21:4/126)
  • From shinobi@21:1/153 to nristen on Sat Jan 5 10:32:08 2019
    I was thinking that a cool idea for Mystic would be a user bio page. Originally, I thought that this would be a cool idea for the Sysop and
    that it would be cool if this was open to all users. After having this thought, I wondered whether this should be a page or some type of forum that could be shared among subscribed BBSs. I even thought that one
    idea was that people could supply a url to a webpage that could be displayed in the BBS using lynx or something similar.

You can do anything You want in the direction of what You described. You can grab python flask and program simple web pages above sqlite or mysqlite. So basically web application with databases.

To get it working in the BBS all You need is customized elinks program (as I sent it to fsxNet last year). So You get jailed user in the elinks without
    the possibility to go anywhere else from the elinks pointing to the web page. That's on the terminal side. And he will be able to display html from the
    flask server (or just anything else php... I don't know simply just web
    server application).

Then You have to give the elinks door his / her credentials. That would be origin BBS and username. Then he would logon via the elinks door to the application (consisting from both web-server, flask and the database). And
    You came there with the correct credentials (origin BBS and username).

When all this is done You have authorized user on web server and the rest is all well known. You can make static web page, dynamic web pages, anything You like.

The main disadvantage here is You cannot use javascript in terminal mode. As far as I tried I wasn't able to handle the javascript in elinks properly. But You can use the server side capacities. Just because You are not bothered
    with any images all is pretty effective. I already tried that but didn't
    finish it. Good to know I could try sometimes in the future.

Best regards

Shinobi

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A42 2018/12/30 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Fatal Echo BBS (21:1/153)
  • From esc@21:1/112 to nristen on Sun Jan 6 06:50:56 2019
    that it would be cool if this was open to all users. After having this

Cool idea, but may I ask if this information would be gated behind something requiring authentication, or would it just exist on a webpage somewhere? Additionally, is it opt-in per user, or is it compulsory?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Black Flag <ACiD Telnet HQ> blackflagbbs.com (21:1/112)
  • From nristen@21:1/161 to garycrunk on Sun Jan 6 16:34:24 2019

Adding to the bio page would be completely up the user of course however I
    beg to differ on whether your bio page would be lame. Just the fact that you are using a BBS to communicate is unique and interesting. Very often I will see a comment made by another user that reminds me of a funny story or experience that would be awesome to add to a page like this.

Nristen
    aka karl harris
    keybase.io/nristen

• From nristen@21:1/161 to NuSkooler on Sun Jan 6 16:37:32 2019

There are some *similar* ideas being used on the Russian side of the
    world via FTN for avatars and such. For example: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/fido7.ru.ftn.develop/Y6weaw1yqTk/Nje CAAJ

Cool, thanks for the link. I will have to read that in detail but at first glance, it looks interesting.

Nristen
    aka karl harris
    keybase.io/nristen

• From nristen@21:1/161 to apam on Sun Jan 6 16:45:46 2019
    I was thinking that a cool idea for Mystic would be a user bio pa
    I don't know, most users on my bbses just fill in crap for the very few questions I ask. They don't even go to the effort of making it sound real

So, I wonder if it would help if users only had one location to enter information that they want to share and then when asked on individual BBSes they could just add their link or url. I know it is not very popular yet
    but maybe use a link to someone's keybase url which can contain links to
    other locations related to that user such as their webpages, or social media links.

Gary, the hero America deserves.

LOL, sounds like part of a political campaign advertisement.

Nristen
    aka karl harris
    keybase.io/nristen

• From nristen@21:1/161 to Skuz on Sun Jan 6 16:47:04 2019
    I was thinking that a cool idea for Mystic would be a user bio page. the wheel, I wanted to see if anyone else had some other ideas or may

There is a User Profile mystic MPL script that looks alot like a user
    BiO you can view/add to it on my board if interested on the utils menu.

Thanks, I will take a look and try this out.

Nristen
    aka karl harris
    keybase.io/nristen

• From nristen@21:1/161 to Skuz on Sun Jan 6 16:55:24 2019
    There is a User Profile mystic MPL script that looks alot like a user
    BiO you can view/add to it on my board if interested on the utils menu.

I tried to connect to your board but it immediately disconnects me showing a cool ansi graphic which declares that I am not welcome here. I am guessing that my public ip is blocked? The public ip I am coming from is the same as
    my BBS.

Nristen
    aka karl harris
    keybase.io/nristen

• From nristen@21:1/161 to shinobi on Sun Jan 6 17:00:12 2019
    You can do anything You want in the direction of what You described. You can grab python flask and program simple web pages above sqlite or mysqlite. So basically web application with databases.
    To get it working in the BBS all You need is customized elinks program

Thank you. I will have to take a look back at the elinks application you described. Is that a custom compile of elinks? I remember some discussion regarding elinks a while back. I will have to go back and review those.

Nristen
    aka karl harris
    keybase.io/nristen

• From nristen@21:1/161 to esc on Sun Jan 6 17:05:32 2019
    I was thinking that a cool idea for Mystic would be a user bio page. Originally, I thought that this would be a cool idea for the Sysop an

Cool idea, but may I ask if this information would be gated behind something requiring authentication, or would it just exist on a webpage somewhere? Additionally, is it opt-in per user, or is it compulsory?

This is just an idea currently. Something like this would be completely up
    to the user if they wanted to add any content. In my opinion, the
    information would be presented only to logged in users of the BBS. Earlier a suggestion was made that access to the information could require
    authentication so for you could only authorize specific BBSes to access that information.

Nristen
    aka karl harris
    keybase.io/nristen

• From Skuz@21:1/105 to nristen on Sun Jan 6 19:50:12 2019
    On 06 Jan 2019, nristen said the following...

I tried to connect to your board but it immediately disconnects me
    showing a cool ansi graphic which declares that I am not welcome here.
    I am guessing that my public ip is blocked? The public ip I am coming from is the same as my BBS.

Thanks for the information, will fix that ASAP and add you IP to my whitelist sorry about the auto banning. That happens if the same IP hits any server more then 6 time with 120 seconds.

* Origin: flupH | fluph.araknet.xyz (21:1/105)
  • From shinobi@21:1/153 to nristen on Mon Jan 7 17:54:36 2019
    Thank you. I will have to take a look back at the elinks application you described. Is that a custom compile of elinks? I remember some discussion regarding elinks a while back. I will have to go back and review those.

You are welcome. The build is kind of custom build. However the main trick is done using the custom keybind.conf and elinks.conf. While talking about it I tried to find the files I'm talking about. And it's still on my disc. So
    after some investigation I could probably continue in the started direction. Let me know what Your advances are.

Best regards

Shinobi

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A42 2018/12/30 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Fatal Echo BBS (21:1/153)