• QWK networking?

From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to All on Wed Apr 15 14:30:44 2020
    Does anyone here know how to setup Mystic as a QWK node? I've started the process, but haven't got it working yet, and the instructions aren't on the wiki wither.

I have seen instructions posted in an echo in the past, but can't fine them now. :(

Anyone able to help?
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)
  • From Alpha@21:4/158 to Vk3jed on Wed Apr 15 15:03:36 2020
    From Dan/Black Panther:
    ----
    In order to set up a QWK network within Mystic is not very difficult, and it does work. Trust me.

This information is using the most current version of Mystic BBS at the time
    of this writing, which is 1.12 A 31.

Keep in mind, Mystic 1.12 A 31 does have a known issue which affects QWK networking. If multiple messages are entered at the same time, Mystic will
    give them the same MSGID. This can be a problem when Mystic is gathering messages to put into a REP packet to send to your uplink or hub. When these messages get to your hub, if they have the same MSGID, could be considered duplicate messages, and not get imported.

My work-around for this, is to have Mystic export the messages as soon as
    they are saved. Mystic will then pick up on the semaphore file and send them out soon after. As I am pretty much the only one on my board who is active in the message bases, I can keep an eye on the status of the outgoing progress
    of one message, before I enter another.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------

First, make sure you have a QWK account set up on the hub BBS. If this is Synchronet, make sure you log in and set the areas you would like, along with the message pointers. Make sure you obtain a list of the conferences and the QWK Base ID numbers, as you will need that information to set up the message bases.

1 - Open Mystic with "mystic -cfg" (or ./mystic -cfg in Linux).

2 - Under Configuration, select "QWK Networking"

3 - If nothing is listed in this menu, select "/" on your keyboard, and chose "Insert"

4 - Hit enter on the newly created network connection

5 - Active Poll will default to "No". Leave it alone for now. We'll get back
    to that.

6 - Select "Network Name" and type in the name of the network (eg. Dovenet)
    and hit "Enter"

7 - Select "Member Type" and change it to node.

8 - Select "FTP Host" and type in the full hostname you will be connecting
    to, including port, if other than standard. For example, "dove.synchro.net"
    and hit "Enter"

9 - Select "Login" and enter the login you chose when you set up your QWK account, and hit "Enter"

10 - Select "Password" and enter the password you chose when you set up your QWK account, and hit "Enter"

11 - Select "Use Passive" and change it to "Yes"

12 - Select "Packet ID" and enter the packet name you will be receiving from your hub. If you had used Synchronet previously, this will be the Hub System ID, such as "Vert" or "Mojo". Your hub will tell you what this name will be
    if you don't know.

13 - "Archive Type" should already be set for ZIP, so we can leave that alone

14 - "Use QWKE" should be set for "No", and we'll leave that one alone as
    well.

15 - Hit ESC twice to get back to the main menu, and move over and select "Editors".

16 - Move down to "Message Group Editor" and hit "Enter"

17 - Hit the "/" key on your keyboard and insert a new group. If your board doesn't use message groups, you can skip to step 20

18 - Hit "Enter" on the "Name" field, and type in the name of the network
    (eg. Dovenet) and hit "Enter". Make a note of the ID number of the group, as you will need this information later.

19 - The other fields are optional, so you can now hit ESC twice

20 - Move up to the "Message Base Editor" and hit "Enter"

21 - Move down to where you would like to insert the new message bases, or
    you can hit the "End" key to move to the bottom.

22 - Hit the "/" key and insert a new message bases

23 - Hit "Enter" on the new message base you created.

24 - Hit "Enter" on the "Name" field, and type in the full description of the message base. I would suggest starting with something to indicate the network in this field as well. For example, instead of just "General", I would put in "Dove General". This makes it easier to tell what message base, from what network you're in while reading messages. Once finished typing, hit "Enter"

25 - Move down to "QWK Name" and enter the QWK ID, which is provided in the network information. For example, "DOVE-Net" is the ID for the General
    message base within Dovenet. Hit "Enter" when finished

26 - Move down to "File Name" and type in a unique file name for this message base. I like to use the QWK ID for this field, as it will typically be
    unique. Hit "Enter" when finished.

27 - Move down to the "QWK Network" field and hit "Enter". This will bring up
    a list of the QWK networks currently set up within Mystic. Scroll down to the corrent network, and hit "Enter"

28 - Move down one, to the "QWK Base ID" field. This is where you type in the conference ID number supplied by the network information. In our example of "Dove General", it is "2001". Hit "Enter" when finished

29 - Hit ESC, and repeat steps 21 - 28, until you have all of the message
    bases created and filled in.

30 - Move up to the first base you created. Press the "TAB" key on your keyboard, and select all of the bases you just created.

31 - Press the "/" key and this time chose "Global"

32 - On the screen that comes up, move down to "List ACS". This field defines the users access needed to see this message base. Change the "No" in front of it, to "Yes". Then move over to the right, and hit "Enter". Enter the access you would like, and hit "Enter" to save. I have mine set to "s10g13", which
    is security level 10 and message group 13. The group number is the ID from
    when you set up the group in step 18 (For more information on this, check out YouTube's "Mystic Guy" videos. He shows in great detail how this works.
    Thanks Avon)

33 - Move down to "Read ACS", and enter in the access you would like to read the messages in this base. Mine is set for "s10g13". Make sure you set the "Yes" in front of it

34 - Move down to "Post ACS", and enter in the access you would like for
    users to post messages in this bases. Mine is "s20g13". Set the "Yes"

35 - Move down to "Sysop ACS", and enter in the access you have for Sysop access. Mine is "s255g13". Set the "Yes"

36 - Move over to the "Max Msgs" and change that to how many messages you
    would like in each base. Set the "Yes" if you change the field.

37 - Move down to the "Max Msg Age" and change that if needed. Set the "Yes"
    if you do.

38 - Change the rest of the options, as needed. Setting the "Yes" for each
    one you change.

39 - Once all the options are set correctly, hit "CTRL-U" to save the information to all of the bases. Mystic will ask you if you would like to "Update XX settings per base?". Chose "Yes"

40 - Hit ESC, and go back to "Configuration" and chose QWK Networking".

41 - Hit "Enter" on the network you just set up. and change the "Active Poll" to "Yes"

42 - ESC out of Mystic, and back to a command prompt

43 - Type in "qwkpoll all", or you can type in "qwkpoll 1", if this is your first QWK network.

44 - If everything was set up properly, Mystic will connect with your hub,
    and download new messages for your bases.

45 - Set up an event to poll your hub at specific intervals. There is an example event in Mystic which can be used as a reference.

I hope these instructions help you get connected to QWK networks. Of the
    three that I an involved with, two of them worked, and one had an issue on
    the hubs end. All three of them are working smoothly now.

If anybody finds any errors in these instructions, please let me know. As I'm typing this, it's almost 3AM, and I have to work at 9AM. :/

Dan Richter
    aka Black Panther
    Castle Rock BBS
    castlero.synchro.net
    castlero.duckdns.net

(c)2017 Castle Rock BBS

|14Þ |15Alpha
    |14ÜÝ |07Card & Claw BBS
    |06Þ |08cardandclaw.com:8888

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/04/13 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Card & Claw BBS (21:4/158)
  • From Altere@21:1/113 to All on Wed Oct 14 11:00:40 2020
    This information is using the most current version of Mystic BBS at the time of this writing, which is 1.12 A 31.

running 1.12 A46

Let me first say, my public and main bbs runs Synchronet (ATHEL) but wanted to test a few things with Mystic so here we are. Trying to get DOVE-Net from my system, not VERT.

----- ---------------
    First, make sure you have a QWK account set up on the hub BBS. If this is Synchronet, make sure you log in and set the areas you would like, along with the message pointers. Make sure you obtain a list of the conferences and the QWK Base ID numbers, as you will need that information to set up the message bases.

1 - Open Mystic with "mystic -cfg" (or ./mystic -cfg in Linux).

2 - Under Configuration, select "QWK Networking"

3 - If nothing is listed in this menu, select "/" on your keyboard, and chose "Insert"

4 - Hit enter on the newly created network connection
    <snip>

So I followed these instructions step-by-step, ATHEL is the packet id. Downloads a QWK packet and imports. Can anyone tell me why when I login to my Mystic board that, posts for Synchronet Announcements show up in the HAM Radio sub? DOVE-Net is group 2 here, and groups are showing just fine.

? Active Poll ? Yes ?
    ? Network Name ? DOVE-Net ?
    ? Member Type ? Node ?
    ? FTP Host ? athel.synchro.net ?
    ? Login ? MYTEST1 ?
    ? Password ? ******* ?
    ? Use Passive ? Yes ?
    ? Packet ID ? athel ?
    ? Archive Type ? ZIP ?
    ? Use QWKE ? Yes ?

? Name ? Dove HAM Radio Operators ? ? Base Type ? Local Quote Color ? Sample ? ? Newsgroup ? Text Color ? Sample ? ? QWK Name ? HAM Radio Tear Color ? Sample ? ? Echo Tag ? Origin Color ? Sample ? ? File Name ? dove-ham Kludge Color ? Sample ? ? Path ? /mystic/msgs/ Max Msgs ? 5000 ? ? List ACS ? s10g2 Max Msg Age ? 1000 ? ? Read ACS ? s10g2 New Scan ? Yes ? ? Post ACS ? s20g2 QWK Scan ? Yes ? ? Sysop ACS ? s255g2 Header ? msghead ? ? List EACS ? R Template ? ansimrd ? ? ? L Template ? ansimlst ? ? Net Address ? 0:0/0 (Local Address) Real Names ? No ? ? Export To ? 0 node(s) Autosigs ? Yes ? ? Origin ? Private ? No ? ? QWK Network ? DOVE-Net Pvt Reply ? No ? ? QWK Base ID ? 2015 Allow ANSI ? No ?

and..

? Name ? Dove Synchronet Announcements ? ? Base Type ? Local Quote Color ? Sample ? ? Newsgroup ? Text Color ? Sample ? ? QWK Name ? SyncAnnoun Tear Color ? Sample ? ? Echo Tag ? Origin Color ? Sample ? ? File Name ? dove-syncanno Kludge Color ? Sample ? ? Path ? /mystic/msgs/ Max Msgs ? 5000 ? ? List ACS ? s10g2 Max Msg Age ? 1000 ? ? Read ACS ? s10g2 New Scan ? Yes ? ? Post ACS ? s500g2 QWK Scan ? Yes ? ? Sysop ACS ? s255g2 Header ? msghead ? ? List EACS ? R Template ? ansimrd ? ? ? L Template ? ansimlst ? ? Net Address ? 0:0/0 (Local Address) Real Names ? No ? ? Export To ? 0 node(s) Autosigs ? Yes ? ? Origin ? Private ? No ? ? QWK Network ? DOVE-Net Pvt Reply ? No ? ? QWK Base ID ? 2030 Allow ANSI ? No ?

There's maybe 2 of the messages bases showing with correct messages, the rest aren't in their proper section. I've confirmed the QWK Base ID matches the Synchronet Conference Numbers for all of them as well as the QWK Names.

-altere
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
    * Origin: Athelstan - athelstan.org (21:1/113)
  • From Digital Man@21:1/183 to Altere on Wed Oct 14 13:04:12 2020
    Re: Re: QWK networking?
    By: Altere to All on Wed Oct 14 2020 11:00 am

to test a few things with Mystic so here we are. Trying to get DOVE-Net from my system, not VERT.

? ? QWK Base ID ? 2030 Allow ANSI ? No

There's maybe 2 of the messages bases showing with correct messages, the rest aren't in their proper section. I've confirmed the QWK Base ID matches the Synchronet Conference Numbers for all of them as well as the QWK Names.

It's the conference numbers that matter (not the names). Unless you have 30 subs in DOVE-Net *or* you have static QWK conference numbering enabled for those subs, then 2030 is probably incorrect. If you look at the CONTROL.DAT file included in the QWK packet downloaded from the hub, that should inform you

what the actual/correct conference numbers should be for that hub.

digital man

Sling Blade quote #26:
    Karl: kaiser blade, ax handle with long blade on it shaped kinda like a banana. Norco, CA WX: 92.5øF, 23.0% humidity, 7 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (21:1/183)
  • From Altere@21:1/113 to Digital Man on Wed Oct 14 15:38:14 2020
    It's the conference numbers that matter (not the names). Unless you have 30 subs in DOVE-Net *or* you have static QWK conference numbering enabled for those subs, then 2030 is probably incorrect. If you look at the CONTROL.DAT file included in the QWK packet downloaded from the hub, that should inform you what the actual/correct conference numbers should be for that hub.

Thanks. Just give me a kick, I've been looking at the wrong screen this whole time. One has qwk packets from vert and the other from athel. Seemed odd mine would match. 2001-2022 works much better. lol Do this much longer I'm going to have to start a new workspace screen to keep the boards seperate.

-altere
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
    * Origin: Athelstan - athelstan.org (21:1/113)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Alpha on Thu Apr 16 08:14:00 2020
    On 04-15-20 15:03, Alpha wrote to Vk3jed <=-

From Dan/Black Panther:
    ----
    In order to set up a QWK network within Mystic is not very difficult,
    and it does work. Trust me.

Thanks, this is the post I was looking for, though since I've posted, I pretty much worked it out, except that I cheated and did the first stage of setting up the message areas with a dummy .NA file, to get the bulk of the tedious work done. All I had to do then was fix up some minor issues and add the QWK networking information to each area. :)

Anyway, I've saved it for future reference. :)

... "640K ought to be enough for anybody." Bill Gates '81
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Alpha@21:4/158 to Vk3jed on Wed Apr 15 23:36:32 2020
    Thanks, this is the post I was looking for, though since I've posted, I pretty much worked it out, except that I cheated and did the first stage of setting up the message areas with a dummy .NA file, to get the bulk

Awesome. I feel like this is exactly the kind of stuff that we could
    collect into a kind of unofficial github repo or wiki for future reference :)

How about the "The Unofficial Guide to Mystic BBS"

|14Þ |15Alpha
    |14ÜÝ |07Card & Claw BBS

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Alpha on Thu Apr 16 11:26:00 2020
    On 04-15-20 23:36, Alpha wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Thanks, this is the post I was looking for, though since I've posted, I pretty much worked it out, except that I cheated and did the first stage of setting up the message areas with a dummy .NA file, to get the bulk

Awesome. I feel like this is exactly the kind of stuff that we could collect into a kind of unofficial github repo or wiki for future
    reference :)

How about the "The Unofficial Guide to Mystic BBS"

Might need that, unless there's someone here with access to the wiki.

... Help fight continental drift.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From nugax@21:1/107 to Vk3jed on Wed Apr 15 21:23:54 2020
    I can assist if needed.

* Origin: The ByteXchange BBS | bbs.thebytexchange.com (21:1/107)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to nugax on Thu Apr 16 12:43:00 2020
    On 04-15-20 21:23, nugax wrote to Vk3jed <=-

I can assist if needed.

Looks like I have it working. I did cheat a bit and made up a dummy .NA file to import, to do the donkey work of setting up the areas, then went back through them, fixed any errors and added the QWK networking information to each area by hand.

Anyway, The Bridge is connected to Freeway for DOVE-Net via QWK. :)

... I distinctly remember forgetting that.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From nugax@21:1/107 to All on Wed Apr 15 22:23:28 2020
    I can assist if needed.
    Thanks :) Looks like I have it working. I did cheat a bit and made
    up a dummy .NA file to import, to do the donkey work of setting up
    the areas, then went back through them, fixed any errors and added
    the QWK networking information to each area by hand.

Awesome!

Anyway, The Bridge is connected to Freeway for DOVE-Net via QWK. :)
    .. I distinctly remember forgetting that. === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)

--
    Sincerely,
    Chad Adams

-- HotdogEd v2.13.5/Android

--- Mystic BBS/NNTP v1.12 A46 2020/04/13 (Linux/64)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to nugax on Thu Apr 16 18:22:00 2020
    On 04-15-20 22:23, nugax wrote to All <=-

I can assist if needed.
    Thanks :) Looks like I have it working. I did cheat a bit and made
    up a dummy .NA file to import, to do the donkey work of setting up
    the areas, then went back through them, fixed any errors and added
    the QWK networking information to each area by hand.

Awesome!

Hmm, any reason that reply was directed to all? It was obviously my message. No biggie, just curious. :)

... 17. Never lie to your doctor.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From nugax@21:1/107 to All on Thu Apr 16 06:12:04 2020
    Hello, Vk3jed.
    On 4/16/20 1:22 PM you wrote:

On 04-15-20 22:23, nugax wrote to All <=-
    I can assist if needed.
    Thanks :) Looks like I have it working. I did cheat a bit and
    made up a dummy .NA file to import, to do the donkey work of
    setting up the areas, then went back through them, fixed any
    errors and added the QWK networking information to each area by
    hand.
    Awesome!
    Hmm, any reason that reply was directed to all? It was obviously
    my message. No biggie, just curious. :)

I am using a NNTP client and it only allows me to post to all.

.. 17. Never lie to your doctor. === MultiMail/Win v0.51 ---
    SBBSecho 3.10-Linux * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)

--
    Sincerely,
    Chad Adams

--- Mystic BBS/NNTP v1.12 A46 2020/04/13 (Linux/64)
  • From gallaxial@21:1/129 to Vk3jed on Thu Apr 16 10:12:44 2020
    On 15 Apr 2020, Vk3jed said the following...

Does anyone here know how to setup Mystic as a QWK node? I've started
    the process, but haven't got it working yet, and the instructions aren't on the wiki wither.

ok, its not Dificult to do
    here i get : ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ
    Û Configuration Networking Servers Editors Other Exit Ûßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßß ID 581 ßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßß
    Û Name ³ HAM Radio Operators
    Û Base Type ³ EchoMail Quote Color ³ Sample
    Û Newsgroup ³ HAM.Radio.Operators Text Color ³ Sample
    Û QWK Name ³ HAM_Radio Tear Color ³ Sample
    Û Echo Tag ³ HAM_Radio Origin Color ³ Sample
    Û File Name ³ ham_radio Kludge Color ³ Sample
    Û Path ³ d:\mystic64\msgs\ Max Msgs ³ 0
    Û List ACS ³ G14 Max Msg Age ³ 0
    Û Read ACS ³ New Scan ³ Yes
    Û Post ACS ³ QWK Scan ³ Yes
    Û Sysop ACS ³ s255 Header ³ msghead
    Û List EACS ³ R Template ³ ansimrd
    Û ³ L Template ³ ansimlst
    Û Net Address ³ 0:0/0 (Local) Real Names ³ Yes
    Û Export To ³ 0 node(s) Autosigs ³ No
    Û Origin ³ Private ³ No
    Û QWK Network ³ Vert Pvt Reply ³ No
    Û QWK Base ID ³ 2015 Allow ANSI ³ Yes ßÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ

Qwk Network and QWK Base ID
    the other this is : QWK NETWORKs ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ
    Û Configuration ݲ Networking °Þ Servers Editors Other Exit ßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßß² ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿ ±ßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßß
    ÛßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßÜ
    Û A Echomail Addresses Û
    Û N Echomail Nodes Û
    Û G Echomail Groups Û ²
    ÜÜ ÜÜ °Û H Edit Areafix Help ÛÜÜÜÜ ±Û±°² °²g
    ÞÛÜÜ þ ß Ý °°°Û I Edit Filefix Help ÛÛÛÛÛÜÜÜÜß ßßÛÛÛÛÛÛ²ßßÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÛÛÜ
    °ÛÛÛÜÜ ÜßÜÜÛÛÛÛ R Edit File Requests ÛÛÛÛÛßßßß ÜÛÛÛÛ²ÜßÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ
    ß ²ÛÛÛÛÜÜßÛ²ßÜÛÛÛÛÛ²Û ---------------------- ÛÛÛÛ² Ü ÜÜÜ ßßÜÜÜÜÜßßÞÛ² ÜÜ ÜÛÛÛ
    ² ±²²²ÛßßÛÜÜÛßßÛ²²²±Û S QWK General Settings Û²²²° ² ²²Ü±° ÛÛÛÛ²°²²²± ² Þ²²²°
    ß Û°°°Û ßßßß Û°°°ÛÛ Q QWK Networks Û°°°Ûݱ °°°°Û°²²²²²Û±°°°Ýß °°°Û° °°²ÛÛÛÛ ²ÜÜÜܲ ÛÛÛÛÛßÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÛßÛÛÛÛÜÜÛÛÛÛÛ±°°°°° ßÛÛÛÛÜÜÜÜÜ Ü ÜÜþ ßß² ± °°²ÜÜÜÜÜÜܲßßßßß ²ÛÛÛ ²²²ÛÛÛ²ßßßß ÞÜÜ ßßßßßßßß ßßßßß ßßßßßßß Ý
    ° Ý °° þ Þßßßßßßßßßßßßß ß ß
    ßÜÜ ß ÜÜß

That mainly what yo need!

BYe

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/04/09 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: SpaceSST BBS (21:1/129)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to gallaxial on Fri Apr 17 09:09:00 2020
    On 04-16-20 10:12, gallaxial wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Does anyone here know how to setup Mystic as a QWK node? I've started
    the process, but haven't got it working yet, and the instructions aren't on the wiki wither.

here i get :

Thanks, managed to work that out just before someone forwarded me Black Panther's post. Only difference from standard procedure that I did was cheat on the donkey work of adding in the area names, etc, by generating a "dovenet.na" file from my Synchronet BBS. That meant all I had to do was enter the QWK networking information (QWK network and conference number) in each area and make minor fixes to the imported data.

... Let's split up, we can do more damage that way.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to nugax on Fri Apr 17 11:42:00 2020
    On 04-16-20 06:12, nugax wrote to All <=-

Hmm, any reason that reply was directed to all? It was obviously
    my message. No biggie, just curious. :)

I am using a NNTP client and it only allows me to post to all.

Ahh, OK.

.. 17. Never lie to your doctor. === MultiMail/Win v0.51 ---
    SBBSecho 3.10-Linux * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)

--
    Sincerely,
    Chad Adams

Hmm, thought that was a FTN point, not NNTP. That's why I asked.

... Potted meat: all the other stuff too vile for hot dogs.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Digital Man@21:1/183 to Vk3jed on Thu Apr 16 21:51:12 2020
    By: Vk3jed to gallaxial on Fri Apr 17 2020 09:09 am

On 04-16-20 10:12, gallaxial wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Does anyone here know how to setup Mystic as a QWK node? I've started the process, but haven't got it working yet, and the instructions aren't on the wiki wither.

here i get :

Thanks, managed to work that out just before someone forwarded me Black Panther's post. Only difference from standard procedure that I did was cheat on the donkey work of adding in the area names, etc, by generating a "dovenet.na" file from my Synchronet BBS. That meant all I had to do was enter the QWK networking information (QWK network and conference number) in each area and make minor fixes to the imported data.

If you import a QWK CONTROL.DAT file instead, then get both the names *and* the

conference numbers all in one go. And if you import it via the SCFG->Networks->QWK->Hubs... Import Conferences menu option, it does all the hub setup for you as well.

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #7:
    Nigel Tufnel: That's just nitpicking, isn't it?
    Norco, CA WX: 57.1øF, 70.0% humidity, 1 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Digital Man on Fri Apr 17 21:26:00 2020
    On 04-16-20 21:51, Digital Man wrote to Vk3jed <=-

If you import a QWK CONTROL.DAT file instead, then get both the names *and* the conference numbers all in one go. And if you import it via
    the SCFG->Networks->QWK->Hubs... Import Conferences menu option, it
    does all the hub setup for you as well.

I don't know if that Mystic has that option.

... Pentium Myth #1: The computer only does what you tell it.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Alpha@21:4/158 to Vk3jed on Fri Apr 17 15:34:28 2020
    If you import a QWK CONTROL.DAT file instead, then get both the names *and* the conference numbers all in one go. And if you import it via the SCFG->Networks->QWK->Hubs... Import Conferences menu option, it does all the hub setup for you as well.

Yeah, I think DM is talking about SBBS's setup--which is quite automated.
    Would be awesome if Mystic has the same ability to import QWK conference numbers as well. I did the same thing--edit the areas file so I could at
    least use mutil to import the areas. Then just some manual labor to assign
    the conference numbers. But it works!

Speaking of making things easier, I don't know if you've seen some of the
    stuff DM is working on in terms of puling FTN (Fido + othernets) info from the internet and automating network setup within the Synchronet admin, but it's shaping up to be fantastic. I think network setup is something we all
    struggle with as new Sysops, and to remove this friction in a modern way would be cool :)

Would be a nice Mystic feature, as well :)

|14Þ |15Alpha
    |14ÜÝ |07Card & Claw BBS

• From Digital Man@21:1/183 to Vk3jed on Fri Apr 17 12:03:00 2020
    By: Vk3jed to Digital Man on Fri Apr 17 2020 09:26 pm

If you import a QWK CONTROL.DAT file instead, then get both the names *and* the conference numbers all in one go. And if you import it via the SCFG->Networks->QWK->Hubs... Import Conferences menu option, it does all the hub setup for you as well.

Ah, yes. It'd be cool if it did though. :-)

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #88:
    XSDK = Synchronet External Program Software Development Kit for C/C++
    Norco, CA WX: 61.2øF, 66.0% humidity, 5 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Alpha on Sat Apr 18 11:41:00 2020
    On 04-17-20 15:34, Alpha wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Yeah, I think DM is talking about SBBS's setup--which is quite
    automated. Would be awesome if Mystic has the same ability to import
    QWK conference numbers as well. I did the same thing--edit the areas
    file so I could at least use mutil to import the areas. Then just some manual labor to assign the conference numbers. But it works!

Yes, would be good to have this ability in Mystic. Mystic is designed to be easy to setup, and having this ability (probably via mutil) would really fit in well. Could do it all in one hit - areas, security levels, naming and QWK conference details all in one hit. But using the .NA trick does save a bit of time. :)

Speaking of making things easier, I don't know if you've seen some of
    the stuff DM is working on in terms of puling FTN (Fido + othernets)
    info from the internet and automating network setup within the
    Synchronet admin, but it's shaping up to be fantastic. I think network setup is something we all struggle with as new Sysops, and to remove
    this friction in a modern way would be cool :)

I love where DM is going with this and I'm totally on board. I've setup my infopack processing to make sure there's a current .NA file online, so Synchronet's system can painless add VKRadio to any (Synchronet) sysop who wants it. :)

Would be a nice Mystic feature, as well :)

Indeed, Mystic would do well to have a similar system. I would fully support Mystic (or any other BBS software for that matter) doing the same.

... It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Digital Man on Sat Apr 18 11:43:00 2020
    On 04-17-20 12:03, Digital Man wrote to Vk3jed <=-

By: Vk3jed to Digital Man on Fri Apr 17 2020 09:26 pm

Ah, yes. It'd be cool if it did though. :-)

Sure would. :)

Reminds me, I must export my QWK conferences in a format more suited to QWK improtation and add that to the infopack. :) I'm all for making a sysop's life easier, if I can.

... Beep. Invalid Input. I take only cash.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Digital Man@21:1/183 to Vk3jed on Fri Apr 17 23:31:26 2020
    By: Vk3jed to Digital Man on Sat Apr 18 2020 11:43 am

Reminds me, I must export my QWK conferences in a format more suited to QWK improtation and add that to the infopack. :) I'm all for making a sysop's life easier, if I can.

For Synchronet, that format would be CONTROL.DAT. :-)

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #82:
    UDP = User Datagram Protocol
    Norco, CA WX: 55.2øF, 82.0% humidity, 0 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Digital Man on Sat Apr 18 16:51:00 2020
    On 04-17-20 23:31, Digital Man wrote to Vk3jed <=-

from a QWK packet?

... Training a child is more or less a matter of pot luck.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Digital Man@21:1/183 to Vk3jed on Sat Apr 18 04:06:30 2020
    By: Vk3jed to Digital Man on Sat Apr 18 2020 04:51 pm

On 04-17-20 23:31, Digital Man wrote to Vk3jed <=-

from a QWK packet?

Correct. That file is normally included in a QWK packet and includes both the conference names and numbers.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #84:
    The Electronic Frontier Foundation used to run Synchronet (circa 1993).
    Norco, CA WX: 53.9øF, 86.0% humidity, 0 mph WSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Digital Man on Sat Apr 18 21:37:00 2020
    On 04-18-20 04:06, Digital Man wrote to Vk3jed <=-

from a QWK packet?

Correct. That file is normally included in a QWK packet and includes
    both the conference names and numbers.

I have seen it, and the only control.dat that I was familiar with, just making sure there wasn't another. :) Anyway thanks, noted for future reference.

... Tact: knowing how far to go too far.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Digital Man@21:1/183 to Alpha on Tue Jul 5 18:22:47 2022
    By: Alpha to Vk3jed on Wed Apr 15 2020 03:03 pm

From Dan/Black Panther:
    ----
    In order to set up a QWK network within Mystic is not very difficult, and it does work. Trust me.

I copied these instructions to http://wiki.synchro.net/howto:dove-net-for-mystic

Please feel free to update with additional details (e.g. isn't some "networking" toggle needed to enable QWKnet taglines for exported messages?).

A screen-shot or two would be nice too.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Sling Blade quote #1:
    Karl: I've killed Doyle with a lawn mower blade. Yes, I'm right sure of it. Norco, CA WX: 77.2øF, 52.0% humidity, 17 mph SSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From TALIADON@21:3/138 to Digital Man on Sat Jul 9 07:50:00 2022
    I copied these instructions to http://wiki.synchro.net/howto:dove-net-for-mystic

Hi Rob,

Do you happen to know if Mystic A47 still has the QWK bug mentioned within the post above? As I don't really know much about QWK, I was wondering if this is still something I need to be worried about?

===============================================================
    TALIADON (Lee Westlake) | TALIADON BBS (taliadon.ddns.net:23)
    FidoNet: 2:250/6 | fsxNet: 21:3/138 | tqwNet: 1337:1/116 ===============================================================

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: TALIADON BBS (21:3/138)
  • From bcw142@21:1/145 to TALIADON on Sat Jul 9 08:24:06 2022
    On 09 Jul 2022, TALIADON said the following...

Do you happen to know if Mystic A47 still has the QWK bug mentioned
    within the post above? As I don't really know much about QWK, I was wondering if this is still something I need to be worried about?

Nope, that was solved long ago. A lot of work went in to making MSGID work right in mystic. Those problems were all gone by A46 on. Since then the
    polling has been changed to be handled by mis. So we now use mis to do the polling, not sure if that really affects qwkpoll. I haven't really used the qwk, but have used mmail to send and receive messages from the BBS which
    works fine these days.

... A .GIF is worth a thousand .TXT.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Mystic Pi BBS bcw142.zapto.org:23 (21:1/145)
  • From Accession@21:1/200 to TALIADON on Sat Jul 9 08:48:55 2022

Do you happen to know if Mystic A47 still has the QWK bug mentioned
    within the post above? As I don't really know much about QWK, I was wondering if this is still something I need to be worried about?

Or better yet, you could just upgrade to A48 and not have to worry if an A47 bug is still around or not, especially since it is most likely already fixed. ;)

Regards,
    Nick

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/04/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: _thePharcyde telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin) (21:1/200)
  • From TALIADON@21:3/138 to Accession on Sat Jul 9 15:06:17 2022
    Or better yet, you could just upgrade to A48 and not have to worry if an A47 bug is still around or not, especially since it is most likely
    already fixed. ;)

Thanks for the feedback Nick, much appreciated.

As this particular bug was listed for A31, I was hoping it had long since been fixed.

Do you know when A48 will be officially released - A47 is still listed as the stable version on mysticbbs.com?

FidoNet: 2:250/6 | fsxNet: 21:3/138 | tqwNet: 1337:1/116 ===============================================================

• From Zip@21:1/202 to TALIADON on Sat Jul 9 22:21:05 2022
    Hello TALIADON!

Do you know when A48 will be officially released - A47 is still listed
    as the stable version on mysticbbs.com?

The stable releases (actual releases) are often rather far apart, perhaps 1-2 years. Given that A47 was released last Christmas, I would say perhaps in a year or so.

But the A47 release was actually very good, so I think you'll be doing rather fine on it. :)

Best regards
    Zip

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/07 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (21:1/202)
  • From TALIADON@21:3/138 to Zip on Sat Jul 9 23:39:54 2022
    The stable releases (actual releases) are often rather far apart,
    perhaps 1-2 years. Given that A47 was released last Christmas, I would
    say perhaps in a year or so.

But the A47 release was actually very good, so I think you'll be doing rather fine on it. :)

Yeah, I'm in no rush to be honest - A47 appears to be meeting my needs without issue at the moment :)

* Origin: (21:3/138)
  • From Accession@21:1/200 to TALIADON on Sun Jul 10 12:19:00 2022

As this particular bug was listed for A31, I was hoping it had long
    since been fixed.

Yikes. Then I would assume it has long since been fixed. I don't even remember A31 it's been that long ago. ;)

Do you know when A48 will be officially released - A47 is still listed
    as the stable version on mysticbbs.com?

To be completely honest, no. But I've never really thought of Mystic having many "official releases". A47 is/was a prealpha, yet there may have been some kind of A47 "is as stable as can be" release right before A48 was started. There were MANY versions of A47 leading up to it, though. This is exactly how A48 has been going. The only reason there isn't a stable version of A48 listed on mysticbbs.com yet is because A49 hasn't been started yet.

I've been upgrading the prealphas as they're released and have had no issues. Sure there may be a few bugs here and there (definitely nothing show-stopping), but g00r00 is on top of it and usually pushes fixes as soon as he is able to.

http://mysticbbs.com/downloads/prealpha

.. if you like to be cool and edgy. lol

I think the more people that are on the latest version finding bugs and reporting them would be much more helpful to development than people reporting bugs from previous versions. And actually, I'm not sure previous versions are even supported. The first thing you would be asked to do would be to upgrade to the latest prealpha and see if the bug/issue is still there, since it may have already been fixed (this is why the whatsnew.txt is important, as well).

Regards,
    Nick

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/04/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: _thePharcyde telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin) (21:1/200)
  • From TALIADON@21:3/138 to Accession on Mon Jul 11 11:02:26 2022
    Yikes. Then I would assume it has long since been fixed. I don't even remember A31 it's been that long ago. ;)

To be fair, as Rob's main concern is Synchronet rather than Mystic, I was hoping the documentation was simply out of date. No one appears to have experienced problems with DOVE on A47, so I'll naively assume it is for now :)

To be completely honest, no. But I've never really thought of Mystic having many "official releases". A47 is/was a prealpha, yet there may
    have been some kind of A47 "is as stable as can be" release right before A48 was started. There were MANY versions of A47 leading up to it,
    though. This is exactly how A48 has been going. The only reason there isn't a stable version of A48 listed on mysticbbs.com yet is because A49 hasn't been started yet.

Considering the monumental amount of work that goes into Mystic, this approach certainly makes sense to me.

I've been upgrading the prealphas as they're released and have had no issues. Sure there may be a few bugs here and there (definitely nothing show-stopping), but g00r00 is on top of it and usually pushes fixes as soon as he is able to.

http://mysticbbs.com/downloads/prealpha

Thanks Nick, this link will prove most useful.

I think the more people that are on the latest version finding bugs and reporting them would be much more helpful to development than people reporting bugs from previous versions. And actually, I'm not sure
    previous versions are even supported. The first thing you would be asked to do would be to upgrade to the latest prealpha and see if the
    bug/issue is still there, since it may have already been fixed (this is why the whatsnew.txt is important, as well).

Yep, I ran into this when I was using A46 - g00r00 asked me to upgrade and retest before submitting a bug report. Again, considering his work load, this approach certainly makes sense to me.