• Two Feature Requests

From roovis@21:4/165 to g00r00 on Thu Feb 20 21:05:00 2020
    1. After Prompt #130, the scan overwrites its prompt repeatedly. I have added
    a CR to get the desired effect, but at the end I still get an additional CR. I'm asking that a new prompt be introduced that is displayed after this, so those who want a destructive cycling through message bases can still have it.

I would like the new prompt to also include the number of messages found in that base. PIPE-&1 = number of messages in the scanned base. So I can print something like:

(Prompt #130) -> [General Chat] scanning...
    (New Prompt) -> [General Chat] 254 messages, scan completed.

2. As work begins on themes, I wanted to run this feature by you and others. I think we're due for some kind of prompt organization now. I was thinking at least grouping them by section of the BBS. Instead of number, make it something like:

<group>.<#>

So prompt "bbslist.1" would be the first prompt in bbslist group. Or
    "files.34" for the 34rd in the files group. "general.43" would be 43 in the general group. Prompt renumbering would need to take place in the upgrade utility.

Another alternative would be to make a single folder "prompts" and have multiple files for each section. "/prompts/bbslist.txt" or "/prompts/matrix.txt" etc. I think maybe a single file would be better than this one... but I think grouping strings together is going to help the sanity going forward -- especially as we look towards theme developmet and
    packaging.

-roovis

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: w0pr.win (21:4/165)
  • From roovis@21:4/165 to roovis on Thu Feb 20 21:30:46 2020
    Forgot to mention, along with feature request #1, can MN get a /NOFOOT switch?

• From g00r00@21:1/108 to roovis on Sat Feb 22 07:38:36 2020

Ok I have questions! :)

That might actually be difficult to do because the scanning prompt happens in a different function before it has any access to message base data. I guess I could open the message base there too to grab the number of messages it'd just slow things down a little bit.

I saw in another message you wanted a "/NOFOOT" option request but in this one you're asking for a new prompt to be added. I'm not clear exactly yet where you want these things (or what exactly you want it to look like)

There is prompt #131 that is already the "end of message scan" prompt and so I can assume NOFOOT would mean that doesn't display? Seems easily doable! But where is it that you would like to see an additional prompt?

Also have you experimented with the MQ menu command?

2. As work begins on themes, I wanted to run this feature by you and others. I think we're due for some kind of prompt organization now. I
    was thinking at least grouping them by section of the BBS. Instead of number, make it something like:

The plan is that each prompt can be associated to a specific category and you can filter on category in the editor. As of now I have no plans to externalize prompts into their own files or anything like that though. Oddly enough I did this back in like 2001 with a Mystic 2.0 concept and it still never made it into 1.x yet.

Its mostly just a matter of me finding the time to go back through every prompt and figure out categories and default &# values for each prompt. All of that has to be done before I can code the software side. I wasn't able to start this process until after the new theme system, but I have already started it!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Sector 7 (21:1/108)
  • From roovis@21:4/165 to g00r00 on Fri Feb 21 20:56:26 2020
    (Prompt #130) -> [General Chat] scanning...
    That might actually be difficult to do because the scanning prompt
    happens in a different function before it has any access to message base data. I guess I could open the message base there too to grab the
    number of messages it'd just slow things down a little bit.

No need to slow things down for this. I prefer the speed -- but I think this
    is because there is a misunderstanding. Prompt #130 still functions exactly
    as is, the New Prompt is an additional prompt AFTER the scan has completed
    (and would have the message count). The new prompt is in place of the destructive line wipe (that appears to be hardcoded). I'm wanting Prompt #130 kept, and a new prompt to supply the new information.

I saw in another message you wanted a "/NOFOOT" option request but in
    this one you're asking for a new prompt to be added. I'm not clear exactly yet where you want these things (or what exactly you want it to look like)

The footer is prompt #131 ... I'd like to supress that and just let my menu command output a text so I can have a specific indication to the user what
    kind of scan was complete with the MN menu command key.

I hope I cleared things up. I've tried tweaking with some tricks, but one fix breaks something somewhere else. The only way I can think of resolving it is adding a post-scan prompt string and a /nofoot suprression to MN. Thank you
    for your time. Seems minor, but it'll allow me to jar Mystic a little bit.

Thanks again.
    -roovis

• From g00r00@21:1/108 to roovis on Sat Feb 22 14:57:32 2020
    exactly as is, the New Prompt is an additional prompt AFTER the scan has completed (and would have the message count). The new prompt is in place

I see what you're saying, I think. You want a "Begin scanning" and "End scanning" prompt instead of just a "Scanning" prompt?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Sector 7 (21:1/108)
  • From roovis@21:4/165 to g00r00 on Sat Feb 22 06:45:30 2020
    I see what you're saying, I think. You want a "Begin scanning" and "End scanning" prompt instead of just a "Scanning" prompt?

Yup.