• Made my first Mystic mod today

From Alpha@21:4/158 to All on Thu Feb 6 08:24:22 2020
    It's such a simple little python thing, but feels like I actually
    accomplished something. Which is something :)

It's called "The Hotness" -- and for now it just does a simple thing:

Mystic event runs a python script (weekly) using the Board Game Geek API,
    grabs the top X hot/trending things (Board Games for now, because that's my jam, but can be video games, publishers, etc.) and then writes them to a
    Mystic bulletin file with an Ansi header and some pipe codes. Another event adds the text file to a message area.

You can see it in action at Card & Claw (but there's not much more there
    TBH).

I'm going to try and create a full BGG database search (games & users) in MPL next.

Happy to package and post if it's useful to anymore. I'm sure it can be improved dramatically.

Huge props to the 'CNN Headlines' module author for inspiration.

-Alpha

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A44 2020/02/04 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Card & Claw BBS | Analog Gaming: Board Games, RPGs (21:4/158)
  • From Al@21:4/106 to Alpha on Thu Feb 6 00:57:44 2020
    It's such a simple little python thing, but feels like I actually accomplished something. Which is something :)

It's called "The Hotness" -- and for now it just does a simple
    thing:

That sounds good .. :)

If you send that to Avon or upload it at Agency and request it be hatched
    in one of the file areas I'm sure he would be happy to do that for you,
    and I'm sure Mystic OPs would appreciate that.

Ttyl :-),
    Al

--- MagickaBBS v0.13alpha (Linux/x86_64)
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (21:4/106)
  • From ryan@21:1/168 to Alpha on Thu Feb 6 01:06:56 2020
    It's such a simple little python thing, but feels like I actually accomplished something. Which is something :)

Congrats :) It's a good feeling!

Mystic event runs a python script (weekly) using the Board Game Geek API, grabs the top X hot/trending things (Board Games for now, because that's my jam, but can be video games, publishers, etc.) and then writes them
    to a Mystic bulletin file with an Ansi header and some pipe codes.

Neat. I have a few that do something similar - all based on the CNN mod you mention later. I have one for NYT, one for Reuters, and one for Fox (Faux)
    News :P

I actually find that consuming this stuff on the BBS is obviously less interactive (i.e., I'm not reading the full report, not clicking on
    anything), but it's fast and easy and I can get a quick top-down view of each network's perspective on news. Pretty cool.

I've also seen a reddit mod, box office mod, and billboard chart mod. Would
    be cool to get all of these on my board, in addition to what you're working
    on here if you decide to release it :)

I find that these items work well in a bulletin menu. Traditionally these
    menus were pretty undervalued in the BBS browsing experience, but having
    stuff like this makes them useful. Also in login sequence.

* Origin: monterey bbs (21:1/168)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Alpha on Thu Feb 6 22:13:12 2020
    On 06 Feb 2020 at 08:24a, Alpha pondered and said...

It's called "The Hotness" -- and for now it just does a simple thing:

cool! and well done... if you would like that hatched to others just upload that to me at Agency BBS in a ZIP with some instructs and a file_id.diz
    inside and I will send it out to all.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A44 2020/02/04 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Alpha@21:4/158 to ryan on Thu Feb 6 15:34:00 2020
    Neat. I have a few that do something similar - all based on the CNN mod you mention later. I have one for NYT, one for Reuters, and one for Fox (Faux) News :P

I actually created a little web app a couple months ago could be turned into
    a news mod. It's called 'Polarized News' (http://polarizednews.com) and it displays top 3 (US) Left, Center and Right new headlines & tweets
    side-by-side. Even created an API for it, as it saved them to Firebase... Wanted to just provide a glimpse into a wider spectrum. Updates every 15 minutes.

Alpha

• From ryan@21:1/168 to Alpha on Thu Feb 6 09:13:16 2020
    I actually created a little web app a couple months ago could be turned into a news mod. It's called 'Polarized News' (http://polarizednews.com) and it displays top 3 (US) Left, Center and Right new headlines & tweets side-by-side. Even created an API for it, as it saved them to Firebase... Wanted to just provide a glimpse into a wider spectrum. Updates every 15 minutes.

Neat! Checking it out now. What did you use to build this?

* Origin: monterey bbs (21:1/168)
  • From Alpha@21:4/158 to ryan on Thu Feb 6 18:32:26 2020
    Neat! Checking it out now. What did you use to build this?

Front-end is React, back-end (server/api) uses Google Firebase + Cloud Functions written in Nodejs -- basically a cron grabs NewsAPI
    for the article feeds every 15 mins, parsing each source and then putting them into Firestore DB so the FE can access the JSON (and so I don't exceed the 'free' tier of NewsAPI access).

For Twitter, I had to apply for API access -- it was a bit of a pain -- had
    to actually explain and diagram the idea so IDK they could be sure I wasn't a bot farm or something :)

Happy to share the code on Github, but like a dope I committed with some keys in there so I need to do some re-basing :)

Alpha