• Check for E-mail - unable to read messages

From Gandalf@21:4/153 to All on Mon Jan 6 13:17:52 2020
    Greetings and salutations! I am having a issue reading messages after selecting fsxNet using (J) Join Group. After checking for messages and displaying the list, it asks if I would like to read them now (Y)es or (N)o.
    When I select (Y) for yes, it clears the screen and takes me back to the
    Main Menu. When I Join the local mail group, it works. What do I have set incorrectly?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: ARDA-BBS (21:4/153)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Gandalf on Tue Jan 7 10:41:36 2020
    On 06 Jan 2020 at 01:17p, Gandalf pondered and said...

Greetings and salutations! I am having a issue reading messages after selecting fsxNet using (J) Join Group. After checking for messages and displaying the list, it asks if I would like to read them now (Y)es or (N)o. When I select (Y) for yes, it clears the screen and takes me back
    to the Main Menu. When I Join the local mail group, it works. What do
    I have set incorrectly?

Hmmm when you join the fsxNet group do you see this reflected in the 'group' being displayed? (assuming you are using an out of the box mystic message
    menu)

Also worth using the A key to ensure you have selected an area (message base) that is associated with the group

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Gandalf@21:4/153 to Avon on Tue Jan 7 05:21:00 2020
    When I join the fsxNet group and check for messages, the local group
    messages are displayed. I tried A)rea change and selecting multiple fsxNet message bases but whenever I check for email, it displays the local group emails. H

• From Zip@21:1/202 to Gandalf on Tue Jan 7 19:49:12 2020
    Hello Gandalf!

On 06 Jan 2020, Gandalf said the following...
    to the Main Menu. When I Join the local mail group, it works. What do
    I have set incorrectly?

Check what "Read ACS" for the message base in the Message Base Editor says. Make sure that if it specifies a group, e.g. "g2", that group ID corresponds
    to the fsxNet message group in the Message Group Editor.

That's what I can come to think of right away...

Best regards
    Zip

* Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (21:1/202)
  • From Zip@21:1/202 to Gandalf on Tue Jan 7 20:06:14 2020
    Hello Gandalf!

On 07 Jan 2020, Gandalf said the following...
    When I join the fsxNet group and check for messages, the local group messages are displayed. I tried A)rea change and selecting multiple fsxNet message bases but whenever I check for email, it displays the
    local group emails. H

The "Check for E-mail" menu item in Mystic's Messages menu only checks for local messages and netmail, whereas the "Global Personal Scan" also checks
    for echomail, if I recall correctly.

There was also some tweaking required for the flags to the functions used for these menu options (as well as the prelogin menu which also performs some of this) -- please see my post from Oct 19, 2019 regarding this (with subject
    line "A few more oddities with 1.12A43 + new m" ...).

For instance, you will find that many Mystic installations show all private messages addressed to you on every login until you delete them, beause of a missing /UNREAD flag in the "stock" menus shipped with it.

Best regards
    Zip

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Gandalf on Wed Jan 8 13:52:34 2020
    On 07 Jan 2020 at 05:21a, Gandalf pondered and said...

When I join the fsxNet group and check for messages, the local group messages are displayed. I tried A)rea change and selecting multiple fsxNet message bases but whenever I check for email, it displays the
    local group emails. H

Humm.. well checking for BBS email is different to reading echomail or local message bases.

Checking for email will be called by the MC command in whatever menu hotkey
    you are using...

But changing groups and areas are the domain of echomail/local bases usually and to read those you can call the area index reader or 'read messages' using the Mystic MR command..

Or am I misunderstanding?

Usually for an 'email' local style base I would just set List ACS to %

Name ³ E-mail
    Base Type ³ Local
    Newsgroup ³
    QWK Name ³ EMAIL
    Echo Tag ³ EMAIL
    File Name ³ email
    Path ³ c:\bbs\mystic\msgs\local\
    List ACS ³ %
    Read ACS ³
    Post ACS ³
    Sysop ACS ³ s255
    List EACS ³

• From Gandalf@21:4/153 to Zip on Tue Jan 7 22:06:12 2020
    Check what "Read ACS" for the message base in the Message Base Editor says. Make sure that if it specifies a group, e.g. "g2", that group ID corresponds to the fsxNet message group in the Message Group Editor.
    Thank you Zip! I checked Read ACS for the local email group and it was set
    for s10g2. I removed the g2 (g1 = fxsNet, g2 = local) and now I can select
    yes and read the messages when joined to g1 fxsNet.

• From Gandalf@21:4/153 to Zip on Tue Jan 7 22:07:14 2020
    Thank you. I will check that post out!

• From Gandalf@21:4/153 to Avon on Tue Jan 7 22:11:36 2020
    I tried changing List ACS to % but it did not work. It was set to s10g2 (g1
    = fsxNet, g2 = local). It did work when I removed the g2. Makes sense to
    me now, when I join g1 (fsxNet), I did not have permissions to use the mail reader as it sees me as g2. I appreciate everyones help and input! Thanks
    so much! I will check out what just a % means and try and figure out why
    that did not work. Y'all ROCK!

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Gandalf on Wed Jan 8 18:55:52 2020
    On 07 Jan 2020 at 10:11p, Gandalf pondered and said...

and input! Thanks so much! I will check out what just a % means and
    try and figure out why that did not work. Y'all ROCK!

It means always false, so in other words don't show it ever :)

The following logical operators are supported:

& = Logical AND
    | = Logical OR
    ! = Logical NOT
    ^ = Always TRUE
    % = Always FALSE

• From Zip@21:1/202 to Gandalf on Wed Jan 8 19:01:42 2020
    Hello Gandalf!

On 07 Jan 2020, Gandalf said the following...
    set for s10g2. I removed the g2 (g1 = fxsNet, g2 = local) and now I can select yes and read the messages when joined to g1 fxsNet.

Glad to hear that!

I wish some of these ACSes would be automatically set by Mystic -- for instance, it appears logical to me to only see message areas belonging to a certain network (message group) when one has "joined" that specific network.

If message areas were tied to a certain network by some other mean than the ACSes, setup would be much simpler, I think. It is very easy to "trip" oneself when trying to create those ACSes and sometimes a bit hard to realize the consequences of setting the ACSes to a particular value...

For instance, if you have ACSes specifying a (joined) group for the Private Messages (local) message area, and a user forgets his/her password and is supposed to leave a message to the SysOp requesting a password reset, the
    ACSes might disallow leaving a message beacuse the user has currently joined the wrong message group (e.g. fsxNet) on last successful login, resulting in a disconnect and no possibility of leaving a message to the SysOp.

Same thing for leaving a comment to the SysOp on first registration -- you'd better specify the correct initial message group (and message area) in the settings, or the user might not be able to leave a comment automatically as part of the registration process if your ACSes get in the way.

Or, another one of my "adventures", attempting to use the ACSes of the message groups to act as a "central" ACS for all access to all message areas of a certain message group, thinking that I could simply specify "g2" (for fsxNet) in the ACSes of the message areas and then defining any "common" access requirements (one place, one time!) in the ACS of the message group instead, e.g. "s20" or requiring certain flags etc. -- well, that one failed due to
    the same reason, that "g" means that the user has currently joined a certain message group. I wish there was another ACS flag that one could set on
    message areas that would mean "satisifies the ACS of message group number
    X"... :)

OK, enough of my rambling. :)

Once you're aware of these things they are rather easy to avoid.

Best regards
    Zip