• Question regarding netmail setup in Mystic

From lemonlime@21:4/162 to All on Sun Nov 10 20:34:02 2019
    Hi All,

When I setup my message bases for fsxnet, I also created a private base with type "netmail" in the same g2 message group. This worked just fine. I'm now setting up additional bases for agoranet and was wondering what the best way
    is to setup netmail when you have multiple message networks configured.

I'm assuming that outgoing netmail knows which node to send via because of
    the "route info" having a asterisk wildcard (i.e. 21:* for fsxnet and 46:*
    for agoranet). But what about incoming netmail?

Is it best to have a separate netmail message group for each message network, or will mystic know how to handle a single message base for netmail to all connected message networks? I'm guessing for this to work, I would simply
    omit a "Net Address" and "Export To" in the netmail base config?

Any tips?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Stellar Darkness BBS (21:4/162)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to lemonlime on Mon Nov 11 16:32:56 2019
    On 10 Nov 2019 at 08:34p, lemonlime pondered and said...

I'm now setting up additional bases for agoranet and was wondering what the best way is to setup netmail when you have multiple message networks configured.

good question :)

I'm assuming that outgoing netmail knows which node to send via because
    of the "route info" having a asterisk wildcard (i.e. 21:* for fsxnet and

Route To will be used by Mystic when looking at where to send outgoing echomail. If the address of the netmail is to a defined echomail node then Mystic will simply send it direct to that known echomail node. Else, it will start at the first defined echomail node and look at the Route To line for
    the node and see if there are rules that will allow it to route the outgoing netmail via that node. If not it will continue to look at the next echomail node and it's Route To statement etc. etc. The first echomail node that it encounters that has a Route To rule set up that it can use it will use it.

So the takeout here is that if you have two echomail nodes with Route To
    rules that would apply to a netmail being sent out, the first echomail node with the applicable rules wins and the netmail is sent via that.

46:* for agoranet). But what about incoming netmail?
    Is it best to have a separate netmail message group for each message network, or will mystic know how to handle a single message base for netmail to all connected message networks? I'm guessing for this to
    work, I would simply omit a "Net Address" and "Export To" in the netmail base config?

You can have one base set up for all netmail or you can have multiple bases
    set up for each network if you want. I went with the latter option because I wanted to see clearly netmails I had sent/recieved by network separately. But you just as easily have one (to keep it simple) and Mystic will send all netmails to the 'netmail' type base.

Another thing, you don't need to set 'export to' for netmail bases. Unlike echomail bases Mystic will use the process I described earlier and linking netmails bases to a given echomail node does not force Mystic to use that...
    so leave that field clear and ensure you have a Route To set up on a echomail node you want to handle echomail for a give zone:net/node etc..

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to Avon on Sun Nov 10 19:51:28 2019
    Another thing, you don't need to set 'export to' for netmail bases.

Entertainingly, the not setting an "export to" explains why, when I tried to post to fidonet, no one seemed to notice.

I just fixed it, though I'm not sure if I really want to post to fidonet.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Adept on Mon Nov 11 20:02:46 2019
    On 10 Nov 2019 at 07:51p, Adept pondered and said...

Entertainingly, the not setting an "export to" explains why, when I
    tried to post to fidonet, no one seemed to notice.

I just fixed it, though I'm not sure if I really want to post to fidonet.

It may or may not be the reason... but if you look at your MUTIL logging at level 3 and check your FIDOPOLL logs thereafter you can at least confirm a packet is exported from your system and sent to the echomail node (Fido?)
    that you want it to go to. Thereafter it's in the hands of the system that
    you have sent it to.

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to lemonlime on Mon Nov 11 21:52:00 2019
    On 11-10-19 20:34, lemonlime wrote to All <=-

Is it best to have a separate netmail message group for each message network, or will mystic know how to handle a single message base for netmail to all connected message networks? I'm guessing for this to
    work, I would simply omit a "Net Address" and "Export To" in the
    netmail base config?

I use a single netmail base and it works fine. Mystic is pretty good at AKA matching.

... Have you ever asked a question you weren't supposed to ask?
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)
  • From lemonlime@21:4/162 to Avon on Mon Nov 11 08:57:06 2019
    So the takeout here is that if you have two echomail nodes with Route To rules that would apply to a netmail being sent out, the first echomail node with the applicable rules wins and the netmail is sent via that.

Awesome - thanks Paul, good to know.

You can have one base set up for all netmail or you can have multiple bases set up for each network if you want. I went with the latter option because I wanted to see clearly netmails I had sent/recieved by network separately. But you just as easily have one (to keep it simple) and
    Mystic will send all netmails to the 'netmail' type base.

Cool, this is what I wound up doing as well and it seems to work. I liked having separate bases for the areafix/filefix messages I was sending. Seemed
    to keep things more organized at least.

Another thing, you don't need to set 'export to' for netmail bases.
    Unlike echomail bases Mystic will use the process I described earlier
    and linking netmails bases to a given echomail node does not force
    Mystic to use that... so leave that field clear and ensure you have a Route To set up on a echomail node you want to handle echomail for a
    give zone:net/node etc..

Also really good to know! Thanks for the tips!

Regards,
    Mike

• From lemonlime@21:4/162 to Vk3jed on Mon Nov 11 08:59:06 2019
    I use a single netmail base and it works fine. Mystic is pretty good at AKA matching.

Thanks! I have one per network configured right now, but may try to
    consolidate them to give it a try.

• From Zip@21:1/202 to lemonlime on Mon Nov 11 20:50:32 2019
    Hello lemonlime!

On 10 Nov 2019, lemonlime said the following...
    work, I would simply omit a "Net Address" and "Export To" in the netmail base config?

Yep, that works. Just as you say, it is smart enough to decide where to send the netmail based on the routing info.

However I ended up creating one netmail area per network (OK so I haven't joined any more networks just yet, but preparing for Fidonet and maybe some others), mostly because the requirement for posting using real names differ between networks. :)

Best regards
    Zip

* Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (21:1/202)
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to Avon on Mon Nov 11 11:54:06 2019
    It may or may not be the reason... but if you look at your MUTIL logging at level 3 and check your FIDOPOLL logs thereafter you can at least confirm a packet is exported from your system and sent to the echomail

I'll have to give that a try when I next send out a fidonet message.

Eventually I'll try netmail with systems other than my hub, too.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)
  • From Zip@21:1/202 to lemonlime on Mon Nov 11 20:55:10 2019
    Hello lemonlime!

On 11 Nov 2019, lemonlime said the following...
    Cool, this is what I wound up doing as well and it seems to work. I liked having separate bases for the areafix/filefix messages I was sending. Seemed to keep things more organized at least.

Speaking of AreaFix/FileFix messages -- is there a way to toggle to auto-sig
    in Mystic inside the full screen editor?

Having an auto-sig is convenient, but not very good when posting netmails to AreaFix/FileFix (which by the way do not seem to support someting like %END or similar), as they will treat the text in the sig as commands... :-O

Perhaps another item for the Mystic wishlist. :)

Best regards
    Zip

* Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (21:1/202)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to lemonlime on Tue Nov 12 06:45:00 2019
    On 11-11-19 08:59, lemonlime wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Thanks! I have one per network configured right now, but may try to consolidate them to give it a try.

I had trouble getting the one per net to behave properly, but the single netmail area works fine.

... If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion. === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Zip on Tue Nov 12 10:18:40 2019
    On 11 Nov 2019 at 08:55p, Zip pondered and said...

Speaking of AreaFix/FileFix messages -- is there a way to toggle to auto-sig in Mystic inside the full screen editor?

Having an auto-sig is convenient, but not very good when posting
    netmails to AreaFix/FileFix (which by the way do not seem to support someting like %END or similar), as they will treat the text in the sig
    as commands... :-O

It's best to set your netmail base so that autosigs are off, you can do this
    in the specific message base settings, look towards the bottom right of the screen for that config option.

Having an auto-sig is convenient, but not very good when posting
    netmails to AreaFix/FileFix (which by the way do not seem to support someting like %END or similar), as they will treat the text in the sig
    as commands... :-O

an older convention was to place three dashes at the bottom of the netmail to delineate the end of the commands. But unsure if Mystic honours that.

• From Al@21:4/106 to Avon on Mon Nov 11 17:10:18 2019
    Speaking of AreaFix/FileFix messages -- is there a way to toggle to auto-sig in Mystic inside the full screen editor?

an older convention was to place three dashes at the bottom of the
    netmail to delineate the end of the commands. But unsure if Mystic
    honours that.

Yes, it does. I have the same issue with the signature. I use this
    method to end commands with a tearline. Technically a tearline is three
    dashes followed by a space "--- ". I just enter that at the bottom of my messages to Areafix or Filefix and don't get any error messages. It works
    with Mystic, Synchronet and BBBS and probably most other areafix's.

Ttyl :-),
    Al

--- MagickaBBS v0.13alpha (Linux/x86_64)
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (21:4/106)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Al on Tue Nov 12 21:50:32 2019
    On 11 Nov 2019 at 05:10p, Al pondered and said...

Yes, it does. I have the same issue with the signature. I use this
    method to end commands with a tearline. Technically a tearline is three dashes followed by a space "--- ". I just enter that at the bottom of my messages to Areafix or Filefix and don't get any error messages. It works with Mystic, Synchronet and BBBS and probably most other areafix's.

Good to know thanks for confirming Al. I thought this was the case.

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Zip on Tue Nov 12 21:32:00 2019
    On 11-11-19 20:50, Zip wrote to lemonlime <=-

However I ended up creating one netmail area per network (OK so I
    haven't joined any more networks just yet, but preparing for Fidonet
    and maybe some others), mostly because the requirement for posting
    using real names differ between networks. :)

I just use real names in my single netmail area, which is a common convention on any nets.

... Don`t force it, get a larger hammer.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From lemonlime@21:4/162 to Zip on Mon Nov 11 22:16:04 2019
    Yep, that works. Just as you say, it is smart enough to decide where to send the netmail based on the routing info.

However I ended up creating one netmail area per network (OK so I haven't joined any more networks just yet, but preparing for Fidonet and maybe some others), mostly because the requirement for posting using real
    names differ between networks. :)

Good to know, thanks Zip! I've decided to do the same thing for now as well. Seems to be working just fine as-is with one per network. I didn't think
    about the real name requirements - that's a good point too.

Thanks,
    Mike