• Re-ordering message bases?

From lemonlime@21:4/162 to All on Sun Nov 10 15:30:06 2019
    Hi All,

I've been working to get my BBS setup on a second message network and ran into some weird issue after renaming a couple of message bases. I changed the filename and base names, which seemed to assign them new ID numbers.

After doing this, I could no longer select the base from the message menu
    using the 'A' command. I then did a 'sort' from the message base editor to
    see if that would refresh things. Now it's even worse. The numbers listed in the area list, do not actually match what gets selected for any of them. So if I hit '2' for general messages, something else will actually be selected.
    Hope that makes sense.

Anyone run into this before or know how to fix it? I can't seem to figure out how to manually change the order from the message base editor either (using
    the move before option, which seems broken?)

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Stellar Darkness BBS (21:4/162)
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to lemonlime on Sun Nov 10 14:27:08 2019
    Anyone run into this before or know how to fix it? I can't seem to
    figure out how to manually change the order from the message base editor either (using the move before option, which seems broken?)

I suppose the mutil function of "Pack and renumber message bases" is probably talking about the messages in the bases.

Have you tried sorting? I'm currently trying it, but it's either taking
    forever or frozen, so I'm not yet convinced it works for anything.

Yeah, okay, I don't know. Good luck, and tell us if you try other things.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to lemonlime on Mon Nov 11 12:32:28 2019
    On 10 Nov 2019 at 03:30p, lemonlime pondered and said...

I've been working to get my BBS setup on a second message network and
    ran into some weird issue after renaming a couple of message bases. I changed the filename and base names, which seemed to assign them new ID numbers.

Hmm... you should not be getting new message base ID numbers unless you have created a new message base from scratch. If you are just updating some of the settings in a current base the ID should remain the same. I'm not clear on
    what steps you took to get to where you are now.

After doing this, I could no longer select the base from the message menu using the 'A' command. I then did a 'sort' from the message base editor
    to see if that would refresh things. Now it's even worse. The numbers listed in the area list, do not actually match what gets selected for
    any of them. So if I hit '2' for general messages, something else will actually be selected. Hope that makes sense.

Would it help if I logged in to have a look?

Sorting the bases (if you used the process I think you did) can adjust the order in which things are displayed within a message group.

Re numbers ... the index numbers that Mystic assigns to message bases are separate to the numbers it displays to the user when the A key is called.
    There is also a setting in config > mesaage base settings > list compression
    .. that you can enable or not to ask Mystic to ensure bases are always
    numbered in a sequential fashion.

Anyone run into this before or know how to fix it? I can't seem to
    figure out how to manually change the order from the message base editor either (using the move before option, which seems broken?)

To manually move a base, you copy it, them move the cursor to a different location in the list order, then call the move option.. it should move the
    base to the location below your cursor position.

Best, Paul

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From lemonlime@21:4/162 to Avon on Sun Nov 10 20:25:32 2019
    Would it help if I logged in to have a look?

Sorting the bases (if you used the process I think you did) can adjust
    the order in which things are displayed within a message group.

Thanks very much for the offer, Paul! Your suggestions worked, so no further help required :)

I think you may be right. I don't think the index ID numbers changed, but the numbers displayed in the 'A' area list definitely did - and they had gaps between them for some reason. Those numbers in the area list were definitely out of sync somehow.

There is also a setting in config > mesaage base settings > list compression .. that you can enable or not to ask Mystic to ensure bases are always numbered in a sequential fashion.

This fixed it! Enabling this option eliminated the gaps between the message base numbers in the area list and also seemed to get everything back in sync. Now whenever I select an area from the area list, the correct one is
    selected. Thanks for suggesting this!

To manually move a base, you copy it, them move the cursor to a different location in the list order, then call the move option.. it should move
    the base to the location below your cursor position.

Nice! this worked great. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me before.
    I had assumed that 'Copy' went with 'Paste' - who woulda thought it was for moving too :) Thanks for this.

I'm glad things seem to be back in working order.

Regards,
    Mike

• From lemonlime@21:4/162 to Adept on Sun Nov 10 20:36:34 2019
    I suppose the mutil function of "Pack and renumber message bases" is probably talking about the messages in the bases.

Have you tried sorting? I'm currently trying it, but it's either taking forever or frozen, so I'm not yet convinced it works for anything.

Yeah, okay, I don't know. Good luck, and tell us if you try other things.

Thanks for the tips Adept - I thought about this too and tried to run a maintenance activity to pack the bases. This didn't seem to do anything.
    Paul's suggestions in my previous message did the trick (the compress base
    IDs option)

Cheers,
    Mike

• From Zip@21:1/202 to lemonlime on Mon Nov 11 20:47:04 2019
    Hello lemonlime!

On 10 Nov 2019, lemonlime said the following...
    to see if that would refresh things. Now it's even worse. The numbers listed in the area list, do not actually match what gets selected for
    any of them. So if I hit '2' for general messages, something else will

I believe there's some kind of "simplifying" option for the message area listings which will renumber them so that they always start from 1. I just can't remember what it's called. With that option enabled (I believe it is by default) the ID numbers of the message bases won't correspond to the numbers
    in the message area listing...

I also had a hard time to grasp that one -- you have to position your self on the message base you want to move, pull up the menu (/), copy (C), then position yourself where you want it to be moved to (before) and pull up the menu again (/) and then choose move before (M). :D

Best regards
    Zip

* Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (21:1/202)
  • From xqtr@21:1/111 to Zip on Tue Nov 12 11:51:26 2019
    there is a program of mine, that does exactly that. you can find it in any fsx bbs. be careful though! and always backup!

:: XQTR :: Another Droid BBS :: andr01d.zapto.org:9999 :: xqtr@gmx.com

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Another Droid BBS # andr01d.zapto.org:9999 (21:1/111)
  • From lemonlime@21:4/162 to Zip on Mon Nov 11 22:14:14 2019
    t have it enabled originally, but turning it on seemed to fix the
    problem I had in the area selection menu (where the number displayed didn't actually take you to the correct base). I assume it somehow "refreshed"
    things and corrected the problem for me.

Cheers,
    Mike

Hi Zip! Yep, that's the 'compress' option that Avon was mentioning earlier. I didn't have it enabled originally, but turning it on seemed to fix the
    problem I had in the area selection menu (where the number displayed didn't actually take you to the correct base). I assume it somehow "refreshed"
    things and corrected the problem for me.

Cheers,
    Mike