• ThreatSentry?

From Nodoka Hanamura@21:2/106 to All on Wed Oct 30 12:30:18 2019
    Okay, anyone familiar with Python and ThreatSentry - I need your help.

After installing TS for a pre-login configuration, my BBS is throwing up this error on connection.

sys:1: RuntimeWarning: Python C API version mismatch for module __mysticerror__:
    PYTHON ERROR (threatsentry.mpy)13, module __mysticerror__ has version 1869874165

File "threatsentry.mpy", line 31, in <module>smatch for module mystic_bbs: Thi
    ImportError: No module named dateutil.tzstic_bbs has version 1869874165.

Anyone know how to fix this? I've followed the instructions to the T in installation.asc, but with no luck. I made sure python was enabled in mystic and that the right version was installed, 2.7. I made sure python-dateutil and python-tz are installed.

I'm at a loss here.

Born too late to experience the scene.
    Born just in time to see it come back.
    Nodoka Hanamura - NeoCincinnati BBS SYSOP - neocinci.bbs.io

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/32)
    * Origin: NeoCincinnati BBS (21:2/106)
  • From Nodoka Hanamura@21:2/106 to Nodoka Hanamura on Fri Nov 1 01:54:34 2019
    On 30 Oct 2019, Nodoka Hanamura said the following...

Okay, anyone familiar with Python and ThreatSentry - I need your help.

After installing TS for a pre-login configuration, my BBS is throwing up this error on connection.

sys:1: RuntimeWarning: Python C API version mismatch for module __mysticerror__:
    PYTHON ERROR (threatsentry.mpy)13, module __mysticerror__ has version 1869874165

Anyone know how to fix this? I've followed the instructions to the T in installation.asc, but with no luck. I made sure python was enabled in mystic and that the right version was installed, 2.7. I made sure python-dateutil and python-tz are installed.

I'm at a loss here.

I hate to be *THAT* guy, but I'm 'bumping' this post (As It's called on
    forums on the web) as I still have no idea what is causing this.

• From Static@21:2/140 to Nodoka Hanamura on Fri Nov 1 04:38:10 2019

Looks like the .mpy couldn't find the dateutil module. The API error could be
    a symptom of this or in addition to it. Hard to tell because these error messages are a bit mangled and missing info.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Subcarrier BBS (21:2/140)
  • From Nodoka Hanamura@21:2/106 to Static on Fri Nov 1 13:35:20 2019
    On 01 Nov 2019, Static said the following...

ImportError: No module named dateutil.tzstic_bbs has version 18698741

Looks like the .mpy couldn't find the dateutil module. The API error
    could be a symptom of this or in addition to it. Hard to tell because these error messages are a bit mangled and missing info.

That's what I'm thinking too, for some reason it can't find it, even though I clearly remember running apt-get install as it was shown in the instructions for both of the mpy's prerequsites.

I tried running it directly from the terminal and it did the same thing, posting errors to the same lines for some weird reason.

• From Adept@21:2/108 to Nodoka Hanamura on Fri Nov 1 11:22:14 2019
    Looks like the .mpy couldn't find the dateutil module. The API error
    That's what I'm thinking too, for some reason it can't find it, even though I clearly remember running apt-get install as it was shown in the instructions for both of the mpy's prerequsites.

So, just to ask the dumb questions, you know where the dateutil module is located, and are sure that it's your path?

And you've tried pip uninstall python-dateutil, then installing again?

And when you run "which python", you get the 2.7 install?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)
  • From Nodoka Hanamura@21:2/106 to Adept on Sat Nov 2 00:22:56 2019
    On 01 Nov 2019, Adept said the following...
    So, just to ask the dumb questions, you know where the dateutil module is located, and are sure that it's your path?

That's greek to me unfortunately (And I don't think it's xqtr's flavor of
    greek (unless he's fluent in the python dialect, hehe)). I did have to install dateutil through pip - however, I did have an epiphany while doing the following:

And when you run "which python", you get the 2.7 install?

As can be deciphered from above, I cant' tell the difference between python
    and an actual snake when it comes to configuring it (Ironically I started learning the language today for the hell of it) - However, I have tangled
    with pyenv before when installing a seperate application on this machine, and
    I believe I think I have my solution - I got my pyenv directory when I typed which python into the shell, and I believe the reason why It up and shat the bed was because the system had defaulted to letting pyenv handle what python installation is global.

Ergo, after a glance again at pyenv's help documentation (not the manpage) I realized that I could set the global python version from it (as opposed to
    the shell that I have using a different version). I'm going to see about installing the prerequisites for Mystic again along with TS's prereqs - now that I have 2.7.0 installed and set as global.

I'll report back on my progress.

• From Nodoka Hanamura@21:2/106 to Nodoka Hanamura on Sat Nov 2 00:57:58 2019
    Update -

No luck, even after installing python-dateutil and python-dateutil-tz in pip while running mystic (under sudo, even after trying running chown -R nikki /mystic - running without sudo doesn't let me bind ipv4 ports for some weird reason) It doesn't work and gives the same error as before.

• From lemonlime@21:4/162 to Nodoka Hanamura on Sun Nov 3 01:11:02 2019
    No luck, even after installing python-dateutil and python-dateutil-tz in pip while running mystic (under sudo, even after trying running chown -R nikki /mystic - running without sudo doesn't let me bind ipv4 ports for some weird reason) It doesn't work and gives the same error as before.

Hi Nodoka,

That's normal and expected - the mis daemon will need to be launched as root
    in order to bind the TCP ports, but only uses root for this purpose. After
    the ports are bound, it will run the daemon using the user account that owns the mystic directory. You can confirm this by running:

ps auxwww |grep -i mis

You should see the mis process running as the user who owns the directory,
    not as root.

I haven't used threatsentry before, but if I get some time I'll try it out
    and see if my Linux install behaves the same way.

Cheers,
    Mike

* Origin: Stellar Darkness BBS (21:4/162)
  • From ryan@21:1/168 to lemonlime on Sun Nov 3 00:14:04 2019
    That's normal and expected - the mis daemon will need to be launched as root in order to bind the TCP ports, but only uses root for this
    purpose. After the ports are bound, it will run the daemon using the
    user account that owns the mystic directory. You can confirm this by running:

I'm not 100% sure that's the issue discussed here, but if it is, I'm
    personally strongly against starting any process as root that should run in userspace. There are two other options. One is to bind to non privileged
    ports and then set up your firewall to do port forwarding. This option has
    few drawbacks, if any, but you have to open multiple ports on your firewall. Not sure if that matters much. The other option is to allow 'mis' to bind to lower ports. This is the option I use, and I use my bbs user.

I noticed when beginning mis as root, certain environment variables would be screwed up and things like dosemu wouldn't work appropriately. That may be
    the problem we're dealing with here.

* Origin: monterey bbs (21:1/168)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to ryan on Sun Nov 3 21:24:00 2019
    On 11-03-19 00:14, ryan wrote to lemonlime <=-

I'm not 100% sure that's the issue discussed here, but if it is, I'm personally strongly against starting any process as root that should

Though starting as root then dropping privileges is an established practice.

run in userspace. There are two other options. One is to bind to non privileged ports and then set up your firewall to do port forwarding.
    This option has few drawbacks, if any, but you have to open multiple

One big drawback - what if there's no NAT router? You either have to setup some rules in iptables or put up with non standard ports. Some of us actually have public IPs for their BBSs and there's IPv6 (which is generally public). :)

ports on your firewall. Not sure if that matters much. The other option
    is to allow 'mis' to bind to lower ports. This is the option I use, and
    I use my bbs user.

I use this option as well these days, mainly because then all my BBS management can be done as the user and not having to switch to root just to start or stop the system. :)

I noticed when beginning mis as root, certain environment variables
    would be screwed up and things like dosemu wouldn't work appropriately. That may be the problem we're dealing with here.

Possibly. Another good reason to start as the BBS user. :)

... Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)
  • From lemonlime@21:4/162 to ryan on Sun Nov 3 14:55:38 2019
    I'm not 100% sure that's the issue discussed here, but if it is, I'm personally strongly against starting any process as root that should run in userspace. There are two other options. One is to bind to non privileged ports and then set up your firewall to do port forwarding.
    This option has few drawbacks, if any, but you have to open multiple
    ports on your firewall. Not sure if that matters much. The other option
    is to allow 'mis' to bind to lower ports. This is the option I use, and
    I use my bbs user.

Interesting - how did you allow mis to bind to lower ports out of curiousity? I'd love to try this as well.

would be screwed up and things like dosemu wouldn't work appropriately. That may be the problem we're dealing with here.

I've had this problem as well with dosemu and could never get it working
    right. It always threw errors about environment variables.

• From Oli@21:1/151 to lemonlime on Sun Nov 3 18:44:12 2019
    On Sun, 3 Nov 2019 14:55:38 +0000
    "lemonlime -> ryan" <0@162.4.21> wrote:

Interesting - how did you allow mis to bind to lower ports out of
    curiousity?
    I'd love to try this as well.

On Linux:
    setcap cap_net_bind_service=+ep /path/to/program

---
    * Origin: (21:1/151)
  • From ryan@21:1/168 to Vk3jed on Sun Nov 3 09:50:28 2019
    I'm not 100% sure that's the issue discussed here, but if it is, I'm personally strongly against starting any process as root that should

Agreed, though most processes that do this don't fork off and run other processes, like python or dosemu. That's where I ran into issues, personally, and why I decided I wasn't a big fan of doing that for a BBS.

run in userspace. There are two other options. One is to bind to non privileged ports and then set up your firewall to do port forwarding. This option has few drawbacks, if any, but you have to open multiple

One big drawback - what if there's no NAT router? You either have to setup some rules in iptables or put up with non standard ports. Some of us actually have public IPs for their BBSs and there's IPv6 (which is generally public). :)

Yep, sorry to make assumptions. I have hosted my BBS on a cloud VPS for so
    long I have actually forgotten what it's like to let clients inside your firewall :P Managing stuff with iptables (especially if you use ufw) is
    pretty straightforward, though.

ports on your firewall. Not sure if that matters much. The other opti is to allow 'mis' to bind to lower ports. This is the option I use, a I use my bbs user.

I use this option as well these days, mainly because then all my BBS management can be done as the user and not having to switch to root just to start or stop the system. :)

Yep, this is what I do. It streamlines modding, startup/shutdown, etc. It's really the best option and IMO should be part of the mystic docs.

• From ryan@21:1/168 to lemonlime on Sun Nov 3 09:53:26 2019
    Interesting - how did you allow mis to bind to lower ports out of curiousity? I'd love to try this as well.

I believe I ran
    setcap 'cap_net_bind_service=+ep' /mystic/mis

I reserve the right to be wrong but searching for setcap as a solution will get you moving in the right direction. The drawback here is now mis can do whatever it wants. The alternative could be per-port configuration with something like authbind.

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to ryan on Mon Nov 4 19:06:00 2019
    On 11-03-19 09:50, ryan wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Agreed, though most processes that do this don't fork off and run other processes, like python or dosemu. That's where I ran into issues, personally, and why I decided I wasn't a big fan of doing that for a
    BBS.

Good point there. :)

Yep, sorry to make assumptions. I have hosted my BBS on a cloud VPS for
    so long I have actually forgotten what it's like to let clients inside your firewall :P Managing stuff with iptables (especially if you use
    ufw) is pretty straightforward, though.

Well, you're not dealing with NAT either. :)

ports on your firewall. Not sure if that matters much. The other opti is to allow 'mis' to bind to lower ports. This is the option I use, a I use my bbs user.

Yep, this is what I do. It streamlines modding, startup/shutdown, etc. It's really the best option and IMO should be part of the mystic docs.

I got the method from the Synchronet docs and use it with both SBBS and Mystic. :)

... The shortest distance between two points is under construction.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)
  • From lemonlime@21:4/162 to ryan on Mon Nov 4 14:20:32 2019
    I believe I ran

I reserve the right to be wrong but searching for setcap as a solution will get you moving in the right direction. The drawback here is now mis can do whatever it wants. The alternative could be per-port
    configuration with something like authbind.

Thanks for that! I'm going to give it a shot to see if it resolves some of
    the environment variable issues I ran into when executing external programs (like DOSEMU etc).

• From lemonlime@21:4/162 to Oli on Mon Nov 4 14:20:52 2019
    On Linux:
    setcap cap_net_bind_service=+ep /path/to/program

Thanks Oli!

• From lemonlime@21:4/162 to ryan on Mon Nov 4 14:22:24 2019

I'd agree - this should be included in the mystic docs, even if just as an alternate option for running mis. I had no idea you could do this :)

• From lemonlime@21:4/162 to ryan on Wed Nov 6 14:28:40 2019
    I believe I ran

I reserve the right to be wrong but searching for setcap as a solution will get you moving in the right direction. The drawback here is now mis can do whatever it wants. The alternative could be per-port
    configuration with something like authbind.

After playing around with it a bit, I decided to re-configure my
    Telnet/SSH ports in mis for >1024 instead of using setcap. I then used
    iptables to redirect. This worked wonders! All of the issues I had with
    dosemu disappeared now that I can start the mis daemon with my non-priv
    account instead of launching as root initially. I wish I did this from the beginning :)

Thanks for the info!

• From Nodoka Hanamura@21:2/106 to ryan on Wed Nov 6 10:45:38 2019
    On 03 Nov 2019, ryan said the following...

I've fixed the problem and MIS is binding ports normally under root, but ThreatSentry is still shitting the bed on startup. I'm probably going to
    delete it and wait until I can get around to working on installing a new
    linux build on the machine.

* Origin: NeoCincinnati BBS - neocinci.bbs.io:23 (21:2/106)