• General Python-with-Mystic questions

From Adept@21:2/108 to All on Mon Oct 21 13:05:10 2019
    So I've been experimenting a bit (e.g., made a Python script that counted, but only really worked locally), and am wondering about a few things (that I
    likely could figure out, but wanted to see what people already knew).

First, what resources are there that people are aware of? I see the example code and list of functions on the wiki (though no descriptions, currently, beyond the write functions.), and can download whatever scripts I can find,
    but am wondering if there are additional resources that I'm unaware of.

For a specific thing I'm wondering about (and can figure out, but haven't begun experimenting, yet), is how scripts interact with the BBS.

E.g., if I have a script replace the "enter your alias" prompt, can I have it do whatever I can make it do, and then return the alias and the system will
    go from there? Is there any place that talks about that aspect of things? Or any list of function prototypes?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)
  • From ryan@21:1/168 to Adept on Mon Oct 21 13:44:02 2019
    So I've been experimenting a bit (e.g., made a Python script that
    counted, but only really worked locally), and am wondering about a few things (that I likely could figure out, but wanted to see what people already knew).

<snip>

Commenting for interest. I admit I don't know much and everything I've done
    on my BBS has been trial and error. Frankly, I haven't tried to overtake intrinsic built-in parts of the BBS, just essentially making new additions. I notice there are some pitfalls and bugs...I can't launch the Mystic telnet or rlogin client from within a Mystic python script.

I'm also interested if/when we'll be able to migrate to python 3.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: monterey bbs (21:1/168)
  • From g00r00@21:1/120 to Adept on Fri Oct 25 22:13:50 2019
    E.g., if I have a script replace the "enter your alias" prompt, can I
    have it do whatever I can make it do, and then return the alias and the system will go from there? Is there any place that talks about that
    aspect of things? Or any list of function prototypes?

I don't know that there is a consolidated place that discusses advanced
    modding like that. Part of the fun back in the day was figuring out how you could extend the BBS in a creative way on your own and make something unique, so I think a lot of that isn't really spoken about.

But really what you just said is true. You can do whatever you want and just echo the text back to the BBS using "stuffkey". A common tactic for doing advance modding for things that amount to a prompt would be to replace the prompt with a script and then set the text color to black on black and then stuffkey the final value with a ENTER character back to the BBS so its hidden to the user (or sometimes not, if you dont want it hidden).

In the case of the user login system and new user applications, I think those are entirely replacable by MPL/Python scripts. I believe there is an example newuser.mps to demontrate it.

When it comes to this sort of stuff, I often extend the scripts/menu system as I can whenever someone comes to me with an idea they have that they think Mystic needs changes to do.

The documentation is so out of date in this area, and its just a very time consuming process. I try to at least make a note of every function at a bare minimum so people can se it and ask questions. Typically when someone asks a specific question about something, I'll go document that particular function
    on the wiki and then point them to it. I kind of document things "as requested". I know thats not ideal but all of Mystic's most technical things as well as the programming is all done by me so I have to sort of find ways
    to spend my time in the most optimal ways.

Projects like Synchronet for example have a huge community working on things, and they have much better documentation. Sadly, we are not there.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Cyberia BBS | cyberiabbs.zapto.org | San Jose, CA (21:1/120)
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to g00r00 on Fri Oct 25 23:54:44 2019
    But really what you just said is true. You can do whatever you want and just echo the text back to the BBS using "stuffkey". A common tactic

Ooo, okay, exactly what I was thinking of. Neat, thanks. And that led me to change logs to tell me what the commands do.

someone asks a specific question about something, I'll go document that particular function on the wiki and then point them to it. I kind of document things "as requested". I know thats not ideal but all of

Whom do I poke to get an account on the Mystic BBS Wiki? I'm not sure how
    much I'd be able to add, but I'd kinda like to put what I figure out directly onto the Wiki so I can look back.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)