• SSH issues in daemon mode

From lemonlime@21:4/162 to All on Mon Oct 21 15:00:18 2019
    Hi All,

I posted a while back about issues I had with Mystic's SSH functionality in daemon mode. It always worked fine when launched in 'server mode' but not as
    a daemon. I seem to have figured out a reproducible workaround and wanted to share for anyone else running into a similar problem. Seems others reported
    the same issue in this message base with Linux in the past as well.

Previously with Debian 9, I couldn't get it to work until I did an apt-get upgrade, which included a kernel upgrade. Then, it magically started working.

I recently migrated my BBS over to an Ubuntu 18.04 Server VM and ran into the same problem. This time, there were no kernel patches available, but I just reinstalled the linux-image package using apt-get instead. This had the same effect and fixed the problem.

dpkg -l | grep linux-image
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-x.y.z

I suspect that there must be another step required when copying the cryptlib library over to /usr/lib related to the kernel. Reinstalling the linux-image package seems to do *something* that fixes this, but I'm not entirely sure what. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe there is a simple extra step that can be added to the Mystic wiki for any others hitting this.

Thanks,
    Mike

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: vswitchzero BBS (21:4/162)
  • From g00r00@21:1/120 to lemonlime on Fri Oct 25 22:06:00 2019
    I suspect that there must be another step required when copying the cryptlib library over to /usr/lib related to the kernel. Reinstalling
    the linux-image package seems to do *something* that fixes this, but I'm not entirely sure what. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe there is a simple extra step that can be added to the Mystic wiki for any others hitting this.

I don't have any ideas off hand, but maybe there is some kernel prerequisite with cryptlib or a bug outside of Mystic that I don't know about?

* Origin: Cyberia BBS | cyberiabbs.zapto.org | San Jose, CA (21:1/120)
  • From lemonlime@21:4/162 to g00r00 on Tue Oct 29 12:36:32 2019
    I don't have any ideas off hand, but maybe there is some kernel prerequisite with cryptlib or a bug outside of Mystic that I don't know about?

Yeah, I don't think it is a mystic bug but rather something with the Linux kernel related to cryptlib. It doesn't occur when mis is run in "server"
    mode, only daemon. I'm assuming there is probably a difference to the kernel and access to libraries when running as a background process.

I'm happy that I found a reproducible way to fix it though. Either a kernel patch/update or reinstalation of linux-image always seems to do the trick :)

Thanks,
    Mike

* Origin: Stellar Darkness BBS (21:4/162)